When was the last time you listened to music without considering the utility of it?

when was the last time you listened to music without considering the utility of it?

>pic unrelated

>when was the last time you listened to music without considering the utility of it?

exactly. anyone wanna unpack how retarded this question is?

It's to do with people who dislike the idea that art can be its own justification and think that all cultural products must serve a social/political purpose

which is bullshit of course

well art being its own justification is still a social purpose

"It's important for people to express themselves" is not what it's meant by "art must serve a social function"

>"It's important for people to express themselves"
you're saying that "It's important for people to express themselves" doesn't equate to art needing to serve a social function? I agree that art doesn't need to serve a popular social function, but I don't believe art is capable of completely escaping social purpose

>"It's important for people to express themselves"
pure ideology

can art escape social function completely?

bump

usually i dont think about that at all
all music has the same hidden revolutionary potential anyways - which is 0

>usually i dont think about that at all
but you not thinking about it directly doesn't mean you're not doing it. do you listen to music you enjoy? then that's serving a purpose in giving you enjoyment. even listening to music you dislike serves as utility in aiding you in finding music you do like

alright so you're just gonna stretch this so far that what you said in the op is made literally impossible?

A couple of months ago. I stopped listening to music for aesthetics and started listening to music for culture and motivation.

I think it is impossible. This question was asked to me by someone else, I just wanted to share it and get some thoughts.

>I stopped listening to music for aesthetics and started listening to music for culture and motivation.
surely aesthetics are an aspect of the music you enjoy for culture and motivation, no?

Some people who frequent here don't think so. Music that used to be posted quite a bit on Sup Forums has been regularly attacked in threads because of its political implications.

t. Jordaan Mason, Phil Ochs, Defiance Ohio

yeah, everything has a reason behind it i guess

Depends on how you look at it.

What I mean is that while I may have a visceral enjoyment of the music that I listen to, I am no longer listening to music that I used to listen to mainly under the idea that it was good art.

its ok to admit you have no idea

What do you mean?

bump

My point was that with such a lax definition then anything can be serving a social purpose. We're talking more about "music should only exist to further communist propaganda" levels of utilitarianism.
That reply makes no sense