Ask someone who works in methadone maintenance therapy anything and get answers to some of your questions

Ask someone who works in methadone maintenance therapy anything and get answers to some of your questions

Why do pharmaceutical companies keep inventing drugs to deal with drug related problems that they created?

Because the original drugs were not developed for recreational use and especially in the late 1800s and early 1900s there was some kind of pharmaceutical boom - I guess the companies weren't really aware of the addictive potential of most stuff. The drugs that are used for maintenance therapy nowadays all reduce specific (different) side effects

bump

come on guys

last chance

What is your opinion of martin shkreli?

>they weren't aware
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Not American, so I don't know him. But he bought that Wu-Tang-Clan-album (edition of 1), I read the name half an hour ago

you didnt hear about his company jacking up the price for some hiv meds in 2015?

Are the people that come in for therapy told they can drink alcohol after their treatment?
I work at a bottle shop near a methadone clinic and they all come in right after their treatment to get cheap booze and half the time theyre smoking weed.
Like is all that really better than just doing hard drugs?
They cause trouble all day, get way too drunk, and half the time the police have to move them on from whatever area of the street theyve decided to sit around in swearing at passers by

Is it easy or difficult for a new RN grad to get a job there? I hear it's easy to get a job at a rehab center without experience but I'm not sure. I don't think I can get into a hospital without 2+ years exp at least.

why is it a colossal waste of time and whybus the u.s. so far behind in treating heroin addiction

Why methadone? From what I understand, buprenorphine is arguably a more effective replacement drug since it's an opioid modulator instead of a full-on agonist?

No. Law is very complex in those areas and benefits the companies (especially in cases in which companies re-issue drugs for other treatments and triple the price with no cost for R&D). Nonetheless, I think that companies are faster to develop new drugs than e.g. universities

what city?

used both, meth destroys cravings, on 25 mgs a day, and havent used since April, altough all the dope in my area has fetanoyl in it now and id rather not die

pussy. raise your tolerance

What is methdone

i hope your drugs are cut with fentanyl, and u dont know and ur th next OD

its when the mom shits on the baby during childbirth

hue hue hue cant into sarcasm

What do you think about kratom? I quit drinking with it but it is mostly notorious for opiate addicts.
What's your opinion OP?

Alcohol is in theory quite dangerous for patients - both substances slow your breathing. They're not supposed to drink, however, we can't really control it and many do. If they don't act very bad at our place, we can't do much.
RN?
It does feel like a waste of time sometimes. But acc. to the WHO the goals of therapy are only #1 keep the patients alive #2 reduce illegal drug use - and that actually works
You're right in theory - however, methadone is dampening your thinking, which many patients like - this is why they started using heroin in the first place. Plus methadone's a lot cheaper

New nurse grad fresh out of school no experience

so why is the u.s. so far behind on treating opiod dependence? seems suboxone is more prevalent here also

Read about it - haven't heard about our patients using it. No real opinion on it. Congrats on becoming dry

Methadone is basically a potent opioid drug given only in special clinics. The idea is that giving addicts a weaker but safer drug that lasts for a day can help reduce heroin cravings.

also most methadone clinics here require you go every day. who the fuck has time for that? homeless fuckin assholes with no jobs. im sure it does reduce illegal drug use but why not just make illegal drugs legal and dose them out everyday theres no difference. do some heroin everyday or do some methadone and a fuckin benzo youll be high as fuck all day long

Okay, no idea. It's a student job here. Just call a doc and ask I guess. Since it's such a niche, you should be fine finding something
From what I heard, US doctors prescribe (weak) opiates quite fast - back pain etc. Many patients switch to "harder" opiates when they can't afford it anymore. Only hearsay though. Also, the US health care system seems to be more diverse than that of other countries, which makes it more difficult to find standard solutions

methadone is synthetic

Yup, I'm pro legalization of everything with restrictions (obviously). A prescription for up to a week is possible (in Germany at least), and we're open on weekends, so you can actually work

Technically, alcohol is a hard drug.

that used to be true. after the oxy boom of the late 90s early 2000s and everyone became a drug addict they started cracking down. im sure hydros and possible percocet still get over prescribed .

yeah over here its just easier to get prescribed suboxone

OP here, gotta go. Will make another one later with more time on hand

Got a question for you op: What do you think the rate or relapse is for your patients?

Have you heard of the idea that a measured use of DMT (12 sessions, I think) can cure addiction?

What's your view of DMT as a whole?

If that's the case, why not coadminister a drug that would help blunt their thinking? Hydroxyzine, promethazine, amitriptaline, or paroxetine could all provide a calming effect and possibly treat the underlying mental disorders that contributed to the person's heroin addiction.

I can't really argue with cost, though.

I dunno about oxycodone, but hydrocodone is probably being prescribed less ever since the FDA reclassified all strengths and formulations of hydrocodone as schedule II drugs.

I would assume the strongest shit like fentanyl would probably be more expensive than the weaker shit like heroin. Why would someone cut their cheap shit with more expensive shit? Makes no business sense, so are people doing this to people they actually want to try and kill?

Yeh right fucking doctors are afraid to prescribe it now cause their names go on gov lists etc, liability if who the prescribe to abuses the, on and on. The government has made doctors afraid to treat our pain

ah i forgot about that. very true theyve cracked down on everything i guess. idk im just glad i dont have to search the shit out anymore

this always boggled my mind to. on the street fentanyl isnt cheap. last alot longer than dope. i blame the chinese

relax guy type out complete words before getting so mad

Good. Ever tried to get a doctor to figure out the actual source of your pain and treat that rather than just stuff painkillers down your throat and ignore treating the actual source of the pain? It sucks ass.

I know there are people who have pain from incurable sources, and the best thing doctors can do for them is make them more comfortable. But lots of doctors in the past couple of decades have used it as a way to just get patients in and out of the hospital as quick as possible rather than actually find ways to fix the patient's issues, and in those cases it's a damn good thing they can't just abuse the shortcut of treating symptoms instead of the actual problems.

how the fuck is anyone who doesn't live within 15 minutes of a clinic supposed to get off heroin when those clinic assholes won't give take homes for months or years?

maybe if they didnt overprescribe them 20 years ago they wouldnt have run into that issue in the first place. doctor shopping for multiple prescriptions along with prescribing oxy 80s for minor back pain is what caused the problems. blame the drs that fucked you in the first place and pharmaceutical companies

legal preparations are very expensive, but fentanyl and analogs as a chemical are dirt cheap to synthesize because of how small the dose is.
make a kg of a fent analog, it's worth millions and only costs a couple hundred in precursors. the only reason it hasn't 100% replaced heroin is because the synthesis is PhD level, even harder than LSD for most analogs.

so sick of this bullshit argument. seeing multiple doctors at once shouldn't have been allowed, but the idea any significant number of people were overprescribed is bullshit. the problem now resulted from underprescribing or outright cutting people off.
Nobody got oc80's unless they spent years getting upped or forged their paperwork, and i know all about pill mills, was extremely involved in that scene in the mid 2000s in fl

is soboxone better?

Right? I was a drug dealer back in the day and multiple people accused me of cutting ecstasy tabs with shit like heroin, and then I have to sit them down and explain to them that dealing designer drugs doesn't mean I deal heroin, but dealing heroin laced ecstasy would make me go broke in literal days. And even if that wasn't obvious enough, dead people don't typically buy drugs so killing my clientele is even worse for business.

I suppose I could see if a heroin dealer laced their shit with an extremely small amount of fentanyl or something, just to get them hooked a bit harder, but giving someone a lethal dose of fentanyl is doubly costly because you permanently lose a customer when they fucking die.

Will you be on heroin or methadone when you're sucking my dick?

if you think they werent given to people that didnt need them your sadly mistaken and blind

You lose 1 customer, but then word gets out you have crazy strong shit suddenly every junkie in the city wants it.

also if you think getting 3 or more oxy 80s a day isnt overprescribed your wrong again. and if you thinkit didnt happen then where did i get all my pills 20 years ago. i never had a script

Have you ever tried either drug?

Or stolen any to sell?

No, if you think that people just suffer in pain just to avoid them you're a sadomoralist.

No doctor gave them just for shits and giggles, especially something stronger than percocet (which every actual abuser exclusively needed because you can't snort or shoot perc and vics), you had to legit be in pain. And if you're in pain, you shouldn't be denied painkillers.

No, you're just grossly misinformed. There's a reason they still make and prescribe OC80s, and the even stronger fent preparations to this day. Nobody got those right off the bat, it took a long time of increasing tolerance- and those drugs exist because there's nothing medically unsound about it. Somebody prescribed those doses taking them as directed isn't even visibly impaired because of their tolerance.

Again I'm not well versed in the heroin scene specifically but I've known various types of junkies all my life. When someone's product fucking kills a person nobody says "well that's the shit I wanna shove into my arm," they avoid that guy like the plague.

What the fuck kind of idiots do you surround yourself with who think that way? Yeah junkies know their addictions are killing them, but obviously they don't want to die all at once.

great contribution, thanks einstein

Bullshit, absolutely everyone wants what's causing ODs. I *am* well versed in the heroin scene.

The danger comes from not knowing. If you *know*, you're not going to shoot a full bun like normal and OD, you can shoot 1 bag instead and save 90% of your money. Every junkie wants 10x the bang for their buck.

can i please get some heroin i'll suck your dick

I currently (self-medicated) switch to suboxone to get off opanas, dilaudid, and roxies. any answer to if I can just go to my local methadone clinic and get a dose or do I have to test positive to a recreational opiate?

Alright, I can see the logic behind that. But at the same time, how do you know the dude who died did so because the stuff was stronger? Unless you somehow get your hands on the dude's autopsy file, how do you know he didn't die simply because that batch of heroin had toxic chemical residue or something? Seems like a bigger gamble than even a junkie would want to make.

thats basically what I mean, they get just as, if not more messed up than on just methamphetamines

are you a virgin?

because most junkies aren't worried about events that are so rare they're 1000x more likely to die in a car accident on the way to score (a toxic chemical that killed instantly instead of over years)... i don't think that's ever even happened.

no, why? if you have heroin even a Sup Forumstard can get laid by dopewhores. they'll flat out just say 'want to have sex?' even if they're hot teenagers and you're a 30 year old neckbeard.

you traded heroin for sex from a teenage boy?

yes, and he was a shemale nigger too because i just love that bbc and trannies!

try harder.

>because most junkies aren't worried about events that are so rare they're 1000x more likely to die in a car accident on the way to score (a toxic chemical that killed instantly instead of over years)... i don't think that's ever even happened.
You don't think what ever happened? Someone died from doing drugs that accidentally had dangerous impurities in them left over from when they were cooked? I'd be way more surprised if that sorta shit didn't ever happen.

deep down, you know you actually did

Died instantly yeah i dount that ever happened. Dangerous impurities certainly exist but i've never heard of one that killed instantly. The worst dangerous impurities reported ever are in krokodil and the MPTP one.. neither of those kills instantly, but certainly cause terrible long term damage.

It was in 1870s when formal advertisement companies began to sprout and widespread DTCA(direct to consumer advertising) began. Source: wrote a 30 page paper on it last semester. Cunt of a teacher didn't like me so he gave me a B in the class. Literally cucked me on participation despite me missing class because my little sister was in the hospital. Fuck him.