twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

his wife died

HIS WIFE IS DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

he watched his wife die

hAHA xD sick thread OP!

his wife died

Death is real

People only hate this album because his wife died

He didn't have to watch. He chose to. Now he's all 'boo hoo feel sorry for me and buy my album'

>using your dead wife to make le dollars

I'd be willing to bet that the lead singer of this record is nu-male.

Is the only reason this has critical acclaim just pure pity?

I thought it sounded like shit and even though the subject matter was depressing it didn't bring the kind of emotion that Hospice or Benji do

stop reading pitchfork dude

When I first listened to this album I didn't know anything about him or his wife and I hated it. I gave it a 4/10. Now that I know it's about his poor wife, I get emotional every time I listen to it because I had a close friend who recently passed away. I can honestly say this album is now a 10/10 for me.

i thought the music was skeletal and the delivery of the lyrics show a lot of pain and misery, the music is a nice accompaniment

this is the worst sentence I have ever read in my life

I was somewhat agreeing with until you said Hospice

anyone who cites it as emotional is an easily fooled ape

>He didn't have to

>the kind of emotion that Hospice
Spotted the 15 year old

>killing your wife to make dollars

Except pitchfork gave this a 9 and virulently hates Mark Kozelek after he said problematic things to their female writer.

>spending dollars on wife

dude what if he killed his wife because he ran out of song ideas

>Hospice
>emotion
These are the people who hate Crow.

It's strange that a show of honest emotion makes mutards abandon an artist they loved up until a month ago. Not saying the new album is amazing, but it's not terrible and Phil definitely has a very strong back catalog.

>why can't Phil mourn his dead wife in an aesthetic way that I can enjoy?

you still definitely didn't know who mark kozelek was before benji though, not if you actually like hospice that much

>Simpsons reaction picture.
Typical rym user. You probably gave this album 5 stars and love Kendrick Lamar and unironically watch Fantano.

>Gave his wife cancer

I didn't know you could order Nickelback live performances through Amazon.

you don't know what the typical rym user is like by a long shot

t. triggered rym user

the fuck is wrong with Hospice you elitist cunts? It's a well put together album that evokes a lot of emotion. Despite not being based on real tragedy, just a bitchy guy in a messy relationship.

Rather that than hear this monotonous droning voice and insufferably simple and boring lyrics behind crappy acoustics that could a mentally deficient teenager could have played on the spot and nobody would tell the difference.

This is literally just a cash/pity grab by a dude who realized he could monetize his dead wife

Came here to post this

t. someone who's never been to /rym/

Why does anyone care that his literal who wife died. If it was someone like Kim Kardashian and Kanye made a record about it that would be a different story.

youtube.com/watch?v=OPHobo5-Jus

I will never understand singer/songwriter "music".

LOTYSF

All wrong lol

who died?

It sucks that his wife died but that doesn't make this album any better.

WHY DIDN'T HE DO ANYTHING? COWARD

>instantly responds with a video from Fantano's shitty meme channel that you probably had bookmarked of Fantano autistically projecting for 5 minutes
You make my blood boil. You are everything wrong with music and society today.

t. triggered scaruffi groupie

Epilogue is legitimately one of the worst songs I've ever heard and Phil's singing is more appealing than Peter's

it doesn't help that Hospice's songwriting is god awful

Yeah it's a cash grab just like Skeleton Tree and Carrie & Lowell.

Hopsice is trash, but I agree.

the instrumentation on Hospice is way more boring than in ACLAM

it's just indie buttrock

Skeleton Tree is an undeniable cash grab. The album was written before his son died yet it was promoted as though it was about his son and even had a documentary tie in.

the songwriting on this is literally just
>my wife died
>i saw it
>Im sad
>im washing the dishes
>o shit my wife died
>im super sad again cause my wife died
>from cancer
>death is real guys

>this thread
Are some people barely getting exposed to Mount Eerie? If A Glow Pt 2 was released this year, it'd probably get trashed, as well.

that's about twice as many topics as Hospice

>The album was written before his son died yet it was promoted as though it was about his son

He went back and changed things before it was completed, though. If you can listen to "I Need You" and not think it's about grief, you must have serious brain issues.

If this album had anything close to "blooooood flows harshly" there wouldn't be as much criticism. This is a weak spoken word album that sounds like someone added guitar picking to the secret recordings of Phil's grief counseling sessions.

Are the 2010's the decade of pathos?

Rather than merit, albums are now acclaimed by pity and guilt and social climate

How doesn't ACLAM have merit?

Return to this album once you have experienced real, crippling loss and you might get it

One of the biggest signals for autism is a dissability to understand or relate to someone else's emotions.

>itt edgy teenagers and apathetic "adults" that have never felt a real emotion in there life

I can't believe how fucking retarded this board can be, this thread is fucking ridiculous, how blind are you fucks?

>blind
You have to be deaf to enjoy this album.

the lyrics are monotonous and lack any substance. The instrumentation is hastily improvised and boring. It's just a guy stating his wife died and it makes him sad.

The 41 minutes gave no more than reading her obituary would

This. It's the SJW era.

im listening to it again and i really dont see the "gut-wretchedness" that this album gives, its sad sure but "one of the saddest albums ever" is a stretch

my dog died 2 years ago and I'm still very sad about it

>what is toothbrush/trash
>what is my chasm
>what is forest fire
Those are the ones that really hit me the hardest, I just finished listening through again and they still hit me very hard.
This is concentrated autism

Rest In Peace pupper

Jesus fucking Christ do you just not listen to music this is not the first time an album like this has existed

i'm glad people are finally shitting on Phil

The Microphones are garbage and a glow is one of the most overrated albums i've ever listened to. like said boring lyrics and terrible guitar playing.

Dubs and I make an album called "my dead wife looked at me" with the lead single "Death is fake" where I make fun of my dead loved ones.

Fucking bad opinion m8. The Glow Pt. 2 is an incredible album and so is Mount Eerie.
>boring lyrics
Confirmed underage/never experienced loss

>nu-Sup Forums is too dumb/young/virgin to get ACLAM
figures

youre browsing a music board.

expect the elitist cunts.

I feel like Sup Forums is becoming one of the worst interest boards. Like it may even surpass Sup Forums. Bring healthy elitism back

What I've discovered about Sup Forums through this and Carrie and Lowell is that something can only be sad if it isn't real

>this is a cash crab
Holy fucking shit: 40,000 dude

I more take issue with the fact that it's been like a week since it's release and people are already calling it one of the best of the decade.

It's literally one user shitposting

people hate this because he's way too honest

Sup Forums is used to meme-sadness like Have a Nice Life or Giles Corey, which is too played up

Sounds like you don't know what actual grief sounds like, and you just want to enjoy the watered down, pretend version of actual tragedy.

Having felt plenty of emotions in my life, this album gave me the same effect as the time my girlfriend's childhood friend killed herself.

It was horribly depressing. And even more sad to listen to her cry and talk about the details, and her personal thoughts about it. Rehashing old memories.

After a while the grief becomes a chore. You just want life to go back to normal, but you understand the other person's pain and need to let them grieve and support them.

This album is exactly like that. But it's a stranger grieving to you on and on for 40 minutes. Set to horribly bland instrumentation. You don't actually enjoy the music, but you feel like you have to say it's a great album because its soooo sad and you feel soooo bad for the artist

this except I actually enjoy the music and it's a great album

>Sup Forums aspies
>in charge of understanding/interpreting an album that requires empathy
lel

Good explanation. Grief is cathartic but not a place to live. I'm glad to have listened to the album but I didn't particularly enjoy it or want to return to it anytime soon.

Wow user thanks for telling me what I feel and what I think about the album what would I ever do without you.

The creation of music goes beyond just making pretty sounds with instruments you musically illiterate fuck. The creation of tone, a feeling, a real human truth is much more difficult then writing music that is exaggerated like fucking hospice or something like brand new. What he achieves on this album is a true, visceral reflection on the coping of death and all that comes with it. The fear of forgetting who the person really was, the fear of alienating those around you, the belief that the grief upon you exceeds anything else going on in the world around you. The grief expressed in this album isn't fake, it's not exaggerated, it's not staged. This was created in the moment as a means to cope, and to share the feelings to others, which is another way to cope, and find closure. Support is important and luckily as an artist he has a fantastic way of expressing his grief, and sharing it with others.

Music goes much beyond just the face value of the music. It's honestly sad how unable people are itt to show any sort of empathy, or get something that isn't that hard to initially digest.

>thinking the album is supposed to be enjoyed
>proving the other user's point

>Music goes much beyond just the face value of the music. It's honestly sad how unable people are itt to show any sort of empathy, or get something that isn't that hard to initially digest.
Because they are literally autistic. They don't feel empathy.

>lead singer

>MUH EMPATHY HURRRRRRDURRDDDDDEE

Is this fucking satire? Are you taking the piss? This is a MUSIC forum, not your nu male hugbox.

All this "It's a money grab" posting better be ironic because there is no way Phil would put out an album that is this sparse, linear, and honest just for the money.
This album was made for Phil. We're just allowed to hear it.

I'm listening to it for the first time at the moment.

As a human, it's tragic and he says some very poignant things. The problem is that it's not interesting musically. Every song is the exact same thing. Sure, it's sad, but "My wife died, and it's fucking me up" can't really stretch to 40 minutes when you just have sparse piano chords and bland acoustic guitar.

Maybe if you're young and never had to deal with family dying, and how awful cancer is, or if you've never really thought about death and mortality and all that it will hit harder, but I can't really find a reason why this is an album and not a collection of poems.

this is always what made phil so good as an artist. it's honest. no romantisation of sadness or whatever. no glamor. it's not what well adjusted normies or edgy teens think being depressed is like but it is.

that being said i didnt like his new album too much. glow pt.2 is amazing and one of my top 5 albums all time and i do enjoy a lot of his mount eerie stuff but this kind of felt rushed. wheres the intricate instrumentation? it's very boring musically to be honest.

watch fantano's review. no im not kidding.
i thought he summed it up pretty well

i hope you have to watch a loved one die of cancer if you feel that way

I do agree with this, it doesn't really feel like it's meant to be consumed as a conventional piece of music, I think the context is way too important to ignore.

A lot of people painted Blackstar as mediocre until David Bowie died. You can't always just consume music in a vacuum, the context is very important.

>A lot of people painted Blackstar as mediocre until David Bowie died

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it was still well-received to say the least when it first came out.

>A lot of people painted Blackstar as mediocre until David Bowie died.
no they didn't it was about 8/10 before he died then after it became an instant classic cause the lyrics read like his final words and no one realized

I think that the Bowie comparison doesn't really work.
Bowie made that album with the specific intent of releasing it and because death was so immanent he really couldn't write about anything else.
ACLAM feels like a collection of songs that Phil wrote entirely for himself because he needed to do something to process the emotional overload he was experiencing.
The first song says that death isn't for making art about. He's not endorsing this project as a great artistic piece, it's just an exorcise.
However, it then becomes a snapshot of his rattled mental state and that level of intimacy is not comfortable nor aesthetically pleasing.
I think he released this because eventually word would get out that he wrote some songs shortly following the death of Genevieve and people would be clamouring to hear it, thinking it's some hidden masterpiece because of the narrative but instead he didn't hype this up. It was just a low key release with a teaser track to get ballance expectations.

seriously fuck all the insensitive trolls who are getting so upset about this. of all the horrible, manipulative, and fucked up ways that people make money in this society, how the are you going to get mad about someone selling an album of heartfelt songs about losing his wife to cancer?

like what about all the multi-billion-dollar companies that make money by GIVING people cancer? (see fast food, processed food, and cigarettes) What about used car salesmen? or lawyers? or con-artists?

you assholes are so far removed from social normalcy that you're incapable of feeling empathy, or probably any human emotion for that matter.

I honestly feel sorry for you.

It's really amazing how hard this is for them to understand.

The album being good or bad isn't the point. This is the shit Fantano is talking about, this album isn't really supposed to be good or polished in the conventional sense. He didn't write this with the intent of it being great music, it's a way for him to cope and capture how he feels in the immediate aftermath of a tragedy. Talk about this being "good" or "bad" is entirely missing the point.