/prod/ - Music Production General

Post the tracks you're working on, discuss general music production.

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for WIPs
>soundcloud for completed tracks

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/qdafrkcm
clyp.it/ezrm13ve
clyp.it/c5uxdycd
soundcloud.com/haemolacria/test-tubes
clyp.it/k1qmwyey
clyp.it/w342lemz
clyp.it/2z1kfjar
clyp.it/5lu35gfs
clyp.it/dhq25kuv
clyp.it/qwulrnb0
soundcloud.com/annedrank/baestation2
55chan.org/b/src/1490845967345-1.ogg
clyp.it/c2xyg2ok
clyp.it/djddtpoc
clyp.it/2jchz40z
strawpoll.me/12635219
youtube.com/watch?v=gxuUunY74tI
clyp.it/awecyyui
youtube.com/watch?v=Cc35UXJMMms
clyp.it/qk1fvqi2
clyp.it/5jy4ykad
clyp.it/v5ctxdni
clyp.it/btdwmoyv
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

FL studio question: I'm adding reverb to a channel and I'm wondering how to isolate the reverb.
Also, ignore that soundcloud part, don't post them here. It's considered self-promotion

Nvm, apparently that's what the "Dry" slider is for. Just had to turm it down to 0

Working on this beat atm: clyp.it/qdafrkcm

Did a quick vocal to get a sense of direction also to work on my vocal mixing: clyp.it/ezrm13ve

I have a Blue Yeti microphone that I'm trying to use to record ukulele. But for some reason it never gets that clear sound that it should have. Does anyone here knows some stuff about mixing your own recordings to make it actually sound good?

clyp.it/c5uxdycd

I've taken some criticism from the last few tracks I made regarding the muddy sound someone called it a while back. I'd like to know if this is an improvement over this: soundcloud.com/haemolacria/test-tubes

>Gothic, darkwave, synthwave, 80's, vaporwave, industrial, electronic, beat heavy

Thanks.

clyp.it/k1qmwyey

just finished recording the outro to this track - it's a really multi-layered kinda choral-sounding folkish song. how's my mixing/the track in general?

A couple of things that seem to work for me -

>if record at a bit of a distance, with the microphone angled slightly towards the neck rather than straight at the sound hole. this eliminates some low frequencies.
>if recording closer, try and aim for the twelfth fret with the microphone
>once in your DAW, cut A LOT of the lows with a high pass filter and use a band boost, going through the frequencies, until you find one that makes the ukulele sound clear and bright to your liking.

clyp.it/w342lemz

Any feedback on this mix or advice on how to improve it?

clyp.it/2z1kfjar

Thanks

Thanks, I'll check it out when I'm home.

needs more saturation

Hey, I create different music. Rate plz
kinematika.bandcamp.com

Thanks, overall? Or just low end

Hahahahaha oh my gosh I can't stop laughing hahaha where did you find that picture user? It's absolutely hilarious hahaha

clyp.it/5lu35gfs

Should I lower the low cut on the rhythm guitar?

It's only a rhythm guitar, a lead guitar and some unmixed drums atm. Up 4k-5k range on the lead guitar? Maybe ease the compressor a bit on the rhythm?

clyp.it/dhq25kuv

ZHU-style deep house
track probably wont be finished but i liked the chord progression i had going here

Made some tweaks to this remix

clyp.it/qwulrnb0

Still not entirely satisfied with it. Kindly tear it to shreds.

The most boring music I've heard this year, that's not different its the same you dumb shit

So bland its muzak

Dunno mate, I feel like it doesn't sit in the same place for long enough or develop an idea before moving onto the next, easy thing to do in daws, the first minute has about three song ideas

Found this in one of the sc threads and it's actually pretty good bump soundcloud.com/annedrank/baestation2

clyp.it/c5uxdycd
no remarks, fuck u fags

which frequencies are on excess here?
some lowmids on bass i guess? but i cant find the frequency

also does it feel like its lacking sub-bass? it is, comparing to teh original zep recording, which doesnt have a high pass on everything.

55chan.org/b/src/1490845967345-1.ogg

Decrease the subbass boost on the basguitar and decrease the hi-pass on the guitars

>add clarity by boosting 400hz
the fuck?

i suppose its because harmonics and overtones

can i use falsetto to reach highs that i cant reach
does it sound retarded or childish
and if it happen very often will it sound bad

>can i use falsetto to reach highs that i cant reach
i dunno... can you? how are we supposed to know what your vocal abilities are
>does it sound retarded or childish
see above
>and if it happen very often will it sound bad
see above

yes i can do it
daaaaahhhhhhhh stop acting like that

Mostly likely will sound bad, especially if you're a guy. Who knows without hearing it though. Head voice is acceptable though

i'll just change vocal line then
from the fifth to the tone so it fits my range

I think i'm at the point where i need a vocalist on this one... internet acapellas aren't cutting it.

clyp.it/c2xyg2ok

Anyone ever work with a good vocalist? Is the producer expected to come up with the lyrics and melody they use? Is it normal to ask them to come up with something/improv?

get a singer from fiverr.com

wow never knew about that site, thanks

Just saw Ghost in the Shell, music is pretty inspiring. Anyone know of any good virtual instruments that create a decent mandolin/liuqin sound? Looking for that proper oriental sound. If not is my best bet just trying to isolate single notes from other songs and pitch bend/sample?

clyp.it/djddtpoc

should i trash this or continue to work on it
im thinking of trashing it

i am trying to get more creative with samples. so lately i have been digging around for raw recordings of every day sounds.

How should i edit a raw recording (a siren, for example) into a trap style beat so the beat still knocks? i feel like its just going to mud up my beat.

do i just high pass it and then eq around 1000-2000 til it sounds ok?

i dont think the found sound style of sampling really lends itself to making "trap beats that knock"

clyp.it/2jchz40z

what do you boys think

>clyp.it/djddtpoc
nae bad, liked the sample at the end

you are right, but i am just trying to use terminology that would make sense in /prod/. i am going for a very distorted and textured sound but i still need everything punchy

nothing is stopping u my friend. destroy that beat ass nikka smash that like button (if you like)

maybe a parallel setting on the distortions, and a slow attack compressor on stuff?

Should soundcloud links be allowed in /prod/:
strawpoll.me/12635219

Get your votes in boys

Any non bass instrument you should roll off low end before it's recorded

We'll you nailed the quiet thin sound so many small 80s bands had

How to draw volume like this manually on Reaper

didnt listen the soundcloud one but that sounds like 80s dance+rock

you fucking fuck

nigga I tried to tell you last thread...
That isn't drawn manually it is 3 different clips, the middle one with the volume pulled down, and they are overlapping each other. I'm quite sure that you can't do it manually on the sound clip on reaper you have to do it with an envelope.

protip, fix your vocals that you didn't know sounded bad

youtube.com/watch?v=gxuUunY74tI

Whistle tones are some shit that once you notice in a vocal you'll feel retarded for not having noticed earlier.

so I offer mixing on fiverr. Someone messaged me asking if I could call a phone number, record the message and send it to them as an mp3. Is there any way that could be some kind of scam? Seems weird. The person seems like a real person; they gave a bunch of positive reviews to other mixing people. I'm just starting out on fiverr so I'd like to get some good reviews however I can.

You can almost always eq guitars like crazy and have them still sound like guitars. So yes, cut more low-end. Also on the kick add some high-end for the click of the drum pedal

I'd say once the bass synth kicks in, filter off the low end from your other synths

I dig the vocals. Kinda quiet mix.
It sounds thin like an 80s song.

clyp.it/awecyyui
Messing with a tube preamp. Just a cover.

yes i know that, that screenshot was done by myself, thats just to examplify the type of volume adjustment i want to do

can't be done manually on reaper, ok
thanks

Why Reaper wont load any of my Organ Vsts
Only vst it opens is ezdrummer

OK I understand. I'm not 100% certain that it can't be done but I have been using reaper for years and never come across it, and I tried to figure out if there was some way after you asked in the last thread and came up with nothing. Why does it matter that much to be able to see it on the waveform?

god just get a fucking real daw already

Just buy fl studio

>Why does it matter that much to be able to see it on the waveform

to visually get the levels even

its better than Cubase and i dont like Fl's vsti-oriented interface

Is your entire life like this or is it just the music thing that has been particularly challenging for you?

Visually getting the levels even is retarded bruh. Use your fuckin ears.

my entire life is like this

i wanna see it fancy

I'm so sorry. Good luck with your music friend, I'll try to help with anything else you want to know.

lol

Can someone help me make a paino like this? or point me to some resources to make it?

youtube.com/watch?v=Cc35UXJMMms

thanks g

Did a VST Re-Scan and all those vstis that werent working disappeared. Only 1 organ vsti remained. I will use it; too lazy to unzip the other vsts to vst folder again

reaper is a real, good daw
its more on protools level than cubase, cubase is shit

Effect pedal VSTs that are good?

Distortion, Delay, Chorus, etc

The ones in amplitube. You can bypass the amps/cabs and just use the pedals.

Any links for Amplitube free? I can't find a good crack for it

Guitar Rig is pretty dope that comes with all that shit. Even if you aren't using it for guitar.

rutracker.org. Use google chrome to translate it to english. I forget if you have to make an account to use it or not but I made an account.

clyp.it/qk1fvqi2

Feedback appreciated

Thanks guys!

don't post soundcloud links in spite of what the OP says, convert it to an mp3 to make it small enough to upload to clyp.it

kk will repost

Dance in 4
clyp.it/5jy4ykad
>Working on Development section and transtion back to first theme

Battle
clyp.it/v5ctxdni
>working on orchestration for wind Ensemble and thinking of better endings

whats wrong with reaper
should i download protools even if i dont have an interface

Hey guys plz tell me this have potential or meh ?
clyp.it/btdwmoyv

reaper is fine, there is nothing wrong with it at all. People talk shit about reaper to justify spending $700 on something they could've got for free, or because they are so stupid they think they got $700 worth of value for free by torrenting ableton.

I haven't used pro tools in like 10 years and I barely remember it but apparently it is pretty obsolete now except that a lot of industry folk still use it because it used to be standard. reaper should be better for your needs.

it has potential, bring out the guitar more, and develop that melody hombre, the only thing pushing it forward musically is the bass/beat.

Ye just a quick melody poped to me so decided to go with it gonna work on it some more.
The guitar thing i just dont know how much is enought you know afraid would be too loud
how would you say the mix is in general ?
Thx for the feedback man

does it have less resources and stuff compared to paid daws

I like the mix, it done well, the guitar itself is really quiet and unless your looking for its easily missed, which is okay becuase your using for harmony/rhythm versus as until. bump it up a few decibals making slightly lower than the melody, I would put it at a mf but idk how that translates to your software

before you hit 20 sec and when you hit 30 sec the guitar should be bump up

Well technically it is a paid DAW, it just costs 10x less than the others and they let you keep using it regardless of whether or not you pay. It has all the tools you need like EQs, compressors, sampler and so on, it just doesn't come with samples or instruments. Everyone uses torrented third party plugins anyway though no matter which DAW they have so it makes no difference really.

it's a paid daw and it's pretty much as full featured as anything comes out of the box

Ok gonna try it the guitar part is really hard for me to get right :S
Anyways have a track or something you want feedback on ?

its breddy gud m8 it has a lot of potential, the key change is gay as fuck though don't do that.

haha this is fucking sick

too sick for normies tho

Im this asshole, didnt know its mostly Electronic here, was hoping for more like me i guess haha

Seen it done a couple of times and kinda liked it.
but ye this time was gay too much maybe the time isnt right

i disagree on the "gayness" of it, but the concept is kinda overused with a step up keychange, why dont you try changing key to the last melody note unless its the tonic,after you do a fade. Might be better

see this

Looking for a good piano VST. Any suggestions?

Whats a tonic XD
i suck at music theory tried learning it cause i thought it will make me write hits but no..

Kontakt: alicias keys, the giant, the maveric are my favs

its the note thats the name of the key your in C major/minor= C tonic

Ohh k gonna try it
btw you know music theory well ?