People exist right now who believe this is a good, sad album

>people exist right now who believe this is a good, sad album
Literal Bottom hanging fruit of sad composition

I enjoy it from a conspiratorial angle. This album is not what it seems.

Jesus guys give it a break. The man lost his wife to cancer. He never asked anyone to freak out over this album. Stop trying to make it harder for him.

the constant negative memeing of this album is proof that anyone calling anything "meme music" should be fucking hanged

It's sad that this album about a man losing his wife has ruffled so many of your little underdeveloped hipster feathers. Newsflash: This album is not for you. You need life experience and the ability to empathise in order to fully appreciate this album for what it is: A man dealing with a loss that none of the meme posters on here can appreciate. They are therefore butthurt that they cannot fathom the pain caused by losing your soul mate. Angry, underage children yet to experience true love or loss should be ashamed of themselves for mocking somebody eloquent and brave enough to try and express these emotions through his music.

This, all the threads joking about Phil murdering his wife what the actual holy fuck is wrong with you people

you probably just don't get it because you are a pleb

one of the most boring albums I've heard in a while

I'm glad this album is weeding out all the edgy teenagers on this site. You don't have to love it, but if you can't appreciate it you are probably sociopathic in a literal sense to some degree.

Honestly four tracks into it. It's just simple, barren acoustic guitar strummed to uncreative, cheesy lyrics trying it's damnest to be vulnerable and raw.

This isn't captivating without context. And even so, it only makes it desperate and cloying.

You didn't do your wife justice Phil. Try again.

or maybe they just don't like the album for whatever reason. Holding someone an emotional hostage because of it is kinda retarded. It's shaming people for having a different opinion. Not everyone is equally emotionally involved in other peoples lives. And that's ok. Doesn't make them autistic/sociopath/psycho/etc. This isn't all geared at you specifically, just a sentiment I have reading these threads.
Obviously the other side of the coin (people claiming he's cashing in on his wife's death, wtf) is bad as well. I don't get the hate for the record, but if someone can't honestly say "meh, I didn't really like it" without people callling him a bunch of names, then that says something about your emotional maturity as well.

literally benji 2.0

A little too scared to listen to the whole album cause I don't wanna ruin my day but I gotta say I legitimately like "Real Death" front to back

but this too
That being said this album made me publicly lose my shit. Quiet sobbing in public (on some must be raining shit) isn't something that comes easily to most dudes and this album coaxed it out of me. Not out of raw musicality but more so out of the truth of this album. Phil genuinely speaking the truth of losing someone you love permanently. Shit bangs just on that level. If you don't get it you won't get it. But you don't have to. Feels stupid i have to include that corollary

The album consists entirely of Phil's guitar, voice and drum machine and features all the usual characteristics without ever matching up to The Glow, Pt. 2. One has to accept that Phil's songs necessarily require further augmentation, for whilst his own accompaniments are good the songs are not sufficiently strong to stand up without any embroidery at all. 'Soria Moria' makes it, so does 'Toothbrush/Trash' – but maybe it's time Mr. Elverum stopped acting so mysteriously and started getting something properly organised for himself.

I'm fucking alpha bitches. That means I DON'T cry when I listen to a fucking song, I would much rather GET LAID or PUMP IRON. So naturally, when I heard this "Mountain Eerie" guy I was like "what the shit bruh". This is some gay ass singing. Can't believe he expects a brother like me to PAY for this. Like get over it bro

Okay, I'm listening to it again.

First time through it sounded like a guy reading his sad journals in public while an inconsiderate guy in the audience strummed a guitar.

when you said "brother like me," you immediately turned from a 16 year-old kid on the internet into a fully-grown black man

They were both alright but benji is far better

MUSIC IS FUN AND IM AN ADULT

Not true at all. The first thing I noticed about this album is the guitar tone. Phil has truly mastered recording. If anything this album is foreshadowing for his next release, however long that is down the road. I'm hoping that once he isn't so emotionally depleted he'll come out with another masterpiece.

There's value in an album filled with spontaneity and intense emotion, regardless of how long the person spent ironing everything out and perfecting it. Also fuck you.

>fuck you
thnk

That's your problem OP, the album wasn't meant to be good or bad, and I'm not quoting Fandango, all you need is a bit of common sense to realize that Phil is lost and shattered, he's just assembling his despair into music as a monument to his wife.

I'm fucking alpha bitches > I'm fucking alpha, bitches

If you can't empathize with this album then congrats sounds like you've had an easy life.

>it's not SUPPOSED to be good it's just the way it is because phil's fucked up
>9/10
pathetic

terrible bandcamp-core only liked because the artist's wife died

>If I don't like it, it's not good
Stop listening to music

I empathise with Phil Elvrum for his wife's death
This album is bad

>This album is bad
Why?

it's terrible though, it's bland singing with upfront lyrics over uninspired boring guitar chords

wow, this board really is full of pathetic losers
kill yourselves with your shitty muh sad indie folk garbage

If you could relate to the feelings on this album then you would like it. It sounds like you probably just can't, therefore, you don't like the album. That doesn't make it a bad album.

"the music will be good if you feel bad because his wife died"
sad

looks like your autism is especially bad today

>it's bland singing
It fits the mood, so it's good
>upfront lyrics
Which fit's the material and the theme
>uninspired boring guitar chords
That gently support the lyrics,. which is warranted.

Any real criticism?
>still missing the point
Lack of empathy is a sign of autism

feeling bad is called sympathizing dumbass. sympathizing is useless. Relating to the music is a whole other thing.

>it's supposed to be boring because of the """"""mood""""""
I gave you criticisms, but you keep reflecting them because his wife died, which all of a sudden makes the album perfect

good music doesn't require any """sympathizing""" to be good
stop trying to protect phil's feelings by saying the album is good, he can handle it

>good music doesn't require any """sympathizing""" to be good
>what is context? gee idg
Yikes
>if I don't understand his emotions, it's boring
Huh
>because his wife died, which all of a sudden makes the album perfect
If you knew what that actually felt like, you'd realize it was perfect.

Thanks for playing though

Context means nothing if the music itself is shit
>If you knew what that actually felt like, you'd realize it was perfect.
>you need to have a dead wife to appreciate this album
again, pathetic. a dead wife, once again, does not make an album good.

im pretty disappointed with fantano and p4k for sucking phils dick so hard, a mans wife dying does not magically make an album better

>music itself is shit
How do you know it's shit?
>you need to have a dead wife to appreciate this album
How is this wrong?

>How do you know it's shit?
have you listened to it or just read articles about his dead wife?

>have you listened to
Yep

Now answer the question.

I already answered it previously, try reading my posts next time, but I'll expand:
-bland production
-rushed, unvaried songwriting
-only instrumentation is a boring acoustic guitar playing a few random chords with occasional synths that are super out of place
-lyrics that have no meter or rhyme, just bland sentences about death
-no musicianship in either the singing or previously mentioned instrumentation
-sounds like it was written in a week to sell copies asap

can't believe people rank this mess anywhere near the s/t album

>-bland production
See: context
>-rushed, unvaried songwriting
>-only instrumentation is a boring acoustic guitar playing a few random chords with occasional synths that are super out of place
>-lyrics that have no meter or rhyme, just bland sentences about death
>-no musicianship in either the singing or previously mentioned instrumentation
see: context
>-sounds like it was written in a week to sell copies asap
see: context

Now do you understand?

lmao, am I being trolled

>Context means nothing if the music itself is shit
>I think it's shit because I ignored context
This is ignoring the fact that half of your criticisms are irrelevant

so the quality of an album isn't based off how good the music is, but what happened to the artist before he made it? do you hear yourself right now?

>albums need to have slick production to be good
>albums need to be varied and non-cohesive to be good
>if it's sparse it's bad
>lyrics need to have meter or rhyme
>if there's no wanky guitar solos, there's no musicianship
Spotted the metal pleb

>the music doesn't matter, only the suffering of the artist counts
I hate metal, stop projecting

You don't know if it's good unless you consider context. Haven't you listened to music before?
The suffering of the artist informs the music.

>stop projecting
How am I projecting? Or did you just run out of things to say and randomly chose a buzzword?

>"hey anonymous, let me play this fugue for you"
>"what do you think?"

>I'm not sure, did the composer's daughter die before he wrote it? if so, I love it, if not, it's bad

Does it work the other way, too? If the artist is a bad person, is the music bad? If Bach killed a man, is his music now trash?

>he hates this album so he must be a metalfag
the only one with buzzwords here is you, friend.

lol he's even said in an interview that it's barley music. He manages to take you into his world of constantly feeling that everything seems to be be symbolic of his wife's passing, only to realize that it's all meaningless, and he does so without the o'l , Stuff means other things technique (metaphors), of "good" songwriting. Still, it's not entertaining, so to say it is a good album is in this case objectively wrong. Music entertains, this does not. It is a good...something though.

>Dont discuss music on a music board
the "just because YOU dont like it doesnt mean its not good" argument is proof of blind plebeianity

>>I'm not sure, did the composer's daughter die before he wrote it? if so, I love it, if not, it's bad
Are you intentionally ignoring how to critically analyze art? Or did you never learn it initially?
>If the artist is a bad person, is the music bad?
Well, is the music specifically about the artist's bad behavior?
>the only one with buzzwords here is you, friend.
Ooops you didn't answer the question. Try again.

>"I don't like it" is a valid music discussion
Talk about blind plebeianity

>nu-Sup Forums can't grasp an album about actual depression or loss if it isn't glamorized and fashionable like Hospice or C&L

probably one of the more honest sad albums i've listened to in a while. I'm not totally surprised that high-schoolers don't get it, though

>Are you intentionally ignoring how to critically analyze art? Or did you never learn it initially?
I've taken multiple music theory & appreciation courses, thanks for asking. I don't recall learning how to incorporate an artist's suffering into our critiques of the art itself, however. I wonder why that is.

I don't get how people can be so insensitive with this album.
I don't get easily moved by songs and i cried like a fucking bitch to almost every song in this. I almost couldn't listen to the whole thing.
It completely baffles me how people can call this "boring".
I guess i'm happy for you if you have no idea what grieving and loss feel like
This is an extremely powerful album

Prove it. Chart out the first five songs on the album

Hell no, one listen was more than enough. Not even to prove to some random Sup Forumstant that I know more than him.

AntiWarhol liked it, so you're a tasteless retard if you didn't.

this

antiwarhol (and normal warhol, for that matter) is a self-obsessed tasteless hack

>dat damage control

Also
>I totally took classes in art appreciation!
>context, what's that?

Don't be a little bitch

All I got out of it is some guy talks over some generic sad guitar.

I can send you pictures of notes and scores I analyzed if you really care that much. Context was discussed a little, but it should never overpower discussion of the actual music, which is what's going on here.

Context always matters in art, you dumb fuck

you've just outed yourself as an embryo

He's more knowledgeable than this entire thread combined

If you disliked the album, you officially have ZERO taste

>how would you rate this wake?
>why would I do that?
>well the guy recorded it and is selling copies
>but I don't like wakes, they're not fun
>It not supposed to be fun
>Ok but I still don't like it
>Dude you have no empathy
>My mom died when I was younger so I get it
>No you don't if you did you'd like it
>K

stop bootlicking some tasteless contrarian on the internet please

to a degree, but not so much that a dead wife makes a shitty album amazing.

>I can send you pictures of notes and scores I analyzed if you really care that much
Do a roman numeral analysis of the first two songs on the album.
>Context was discussed a little, but it should never overpower discussion of the actual music
You didn't bother looking at either though

Go away Phil

Oh more circular logic, nice

listen I get you're angry because you've been outed as a pleb

There is no way you have better taste than AntiWarhol. Admit it, you didn't get the album

wow a person in your life dies, your life sure is fucking difficult
Guess what, literally everyone in your family older than you will most likely die before you, doesn't mean your life will get any more difficult you moron

I'm not listening again to this terrible album that's all I V I V (my wife's dead my wife's dead) ii (oooooh she's dead)

Namedropping a RYMer, you sure showed me

I didn't like the album mainly for the lyrics. Phil isn't even really making the lyrics fit the music. It's basically more of an autobiography than an album. If he was more artful in his approach to his lyrics, it would probably affect me more, but they're really one dimensional, and it makes the whole album sound less genuine than it actually is.

>Unironically not understanding how empathy works

Literal autism holy shit

I understand empathy, but it doesn't make an album good.

>terrible album that's all I V I V
Oh, is that your final answer? Because that's not correct. I doubt you actually know music theory, or have studied art criticism beyond surfing deviantart for anime
>I didn't like the album
Not what I'm asking. Try again.

This album is just an idiot strumming a guitar shitily. The Glow Pt. 2 is the same thing.

Never got why people liked this guy.

Contextually you suck a metric ton of dicks as well, but that doesn't mean it is so, you dingdong.
Contextual meaning is entirely subjective and basing a final verdict on that is utterly moronic.

If you had empathy, you'd understand why it's good.

Also, you are not empathetic anyways.
Not an argument

I know it's not correct, it was a joke, lmao. I do know a bit, again, if you want, I can post my old notes and scores, but I won't bother if you'll just ignore them anyways.

The Glow Pt. 2 is actually good, this isn't

I'm not the guy you originally responded to. I'm just explaining why most people think it's bad.

>it's not an argument because I said so
Therefore I can claim this album is not good, because I said so.

>I'm not the guy you originally responded to.
I didn't presume you were you were
>I'm just explaining why most people think it's bad.
When were you going to do this?
>I do know a bit, again, if you want, I can post random music theory images I pulled off the internet
Stop

Do you want a timestamp, too? At this point you seem to want to avoid the fact that I know more than you.

No, it's not an argument because you have no reasonable evidence to support your claim,m nor have you made any reasonable attempt to logically explain it
>At this point you seem to want to avoid the fact that I know more than you.
Well I've been playing in bands for longer than you've been alive, so this is doubtful.

You also don't know how to evaluate art properly, based on your posts anyways.

>This album is just an idiot strumming a guitar shitily.
gonna use this as a criticism of every rock album I don't like from now on

wow you're in a BAND, how cool!!!!!! can I have your autograph?

>not loving an album solely because a dude's wife died = not """evaluating art properly"""
fuck off and learn something

>loving an album solely because a dude's wife died
Quote me where I did that

Also, where are you on the spectrum? be honest

The shitposting about it being thought as not good is ridiculous for sure, however the fact remains that there are valid reasons that this album might not be very great, that said though that doesn't seem to be the point of this album in the first place so what I'm saying about this doesn't really matter anyway.

>anyone calling anything "meme music" should be fucking hanged
yes

Right here:

I can appreciate it for what it is and there's plenty of value in that but at the end of the day it really isn't that great of an album, the entire thing seems sort of flat and the message/lyrics never really meet each other halfway, it doesn't really seemed very inspired. Like I said though that was never the point of it