Southern Hip-Hop That Doesn't Suck

Can Sup Forums rec me some southern Hip-Hop that doesn't blow ass?

Aside from pic related, I like Outkast and Geto Boys.

Fuck Crunk. Fuck Trap.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IRwiWVndk2M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah those are the only ones I like .

Why do southern Hip Hop albums have such shit album art?

any UGK.

Big KRIT's first few mixtapes - Krit Wuz Here, Return of 4eva, 4eva n a day, king remembered in time.

Cunninlynguists - Oneirology

Scarface - The Diary.

they're memeing

I always get a good kek out of these shitty covers

All S.U.C (xd succ maymay i know) projects are great. Look into Lil Keke as a start

Big Boi's solo material is super underrated

A lot of them are done by the design firm Pen n Pixel, who have a very... distinct style.

A lot of southern rappers are poor so they probably contract them because it's cheap.

Silkk the Shocker, Kingpin Skinny Pimp, Juvenile, Lord Infamous

Pen and Pixel rap albums was a cool era. Also pic related to OP.

>They're all by the same guys
>A professional company willingly made these
>Someone's probably proud of this.

W.E.W

The so-bad-it's-good charm probably helps them stay in business too.

How often does the cover match the music, quality-wise?

Tommy Wright III
UGK
CunninLynguists
Koopsta Knicca
Lowdown da Sinista
Niggaz of Destruction
Goodie Mob
Big K.R.I.T.

Usually stuff with that art is just lo-fi gangsta rap, but it can be great anyway.

not really southern but the Live.Love.A$AP mixtape is pretty houston influenced. and is by far his best release.

I mean, it varies. Southern hip-hop is pretty diverse in terms of styles and subgenres. There are good acts and bad acts. Three 6 Mafia and Eightball & MJG are a lot better than the gaudy cover art would suggest.

What are some good SnC tapes? I know of Most Known Unknown but that's it.

>Fuck Trap.
Trap is popular so it can't be good.

Shut the fuck up pen and pixel is GOAT

Anyone have "Doin thangs" by big bear

Why the fuck are people calling Imperial trap? It isn't a trap album.

32 Zel/Planet Shrooms is much more closer to trap than Imperial.

Of course. It's a shit album, but the cover stands as a hallmark of Pen and Pixel album artwork.

Is it that time?

Young Thug is the greatest musician alive. You could even say he's the Frank Zappa of our generation. He is not just another manufactured rap star, he is a complete artist. He is not someone that is being controlled by a record label. Thugger is singlehandedly one of the most innovative and unique rap artists of this decade. His lyrical style stands out in a number of ways; the most obvious is his ear for figurative language. Thug’s similes often build upon familiar imagery, but move in unexpected directions. On “Check,” he opens rapping about a “Mink coat with the rolls like a Shar Pei”; later on, he raps, “All my niggas, they hard, call them beetles.” These aren’t punchlines intended to get rap fans doubling over laughing (although they can be funny in their unpredictability). Thug seems more interested in an original and idiosyncratic approach to imagery, in discovering pathways in language that haven’t already been heavily traveled.

In this, his lyrical approach is closer to a rapper like Raekwon than it is Lil Wayne, with whom Thug is frequently compared through some fault of his own. But any close reading of his lyrics suggest comparisons between The Barter 6 and Wayne’s Carter series, for which it is named, are a total misdirection. Where Wayne shredded his vocals against hip-hop’s formal constraints, Thug is a synthesist, a rapper of control, an artist in the process of reassembly.

this pasta is too old. try agin,

Probably the best Memphis rap album that isn't a Three six Mafia album. Tommy Wright III is pretty good too

youtube.com/watch?v=IRwiWVndk2M
Tell me this isn't the most lit shit you've heard all day

i've only heard the title track from this
before i listened to it, i thought from the cover it was gonna be some ultra lo-fi horrorcore 3 six type shit, i could not have been more wrong

This

Pic related is imo the most consistent in the genre. As far as the golden age of southern hip hop goes, I feel like the big artists came up with a couple great ideas which became singles, and the rest of the record was just filler b/c they're so fucked up on codeine that they couldn't follow through

uh, nah