When will "experimental hip hop" become legitimately experimental? (Pic related, falls short)

When will "experimental hip hop" become legitimately experimental? (Pic related, falls short)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LXAH6OH_h9U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

niggas on the moon

This album is possibly the most experimental album of all times.

As much as I love this album, not too many albums seem to have taken much influence from it (besides maybe Splendor and Misery). I think in 5-10 years it'll be seen as a game-changer.

this. AOTD

If anything government plates was their best and most experimental.
I remember when it came out. It was the most excited I had ever been about new music. I didn't really get it at the time though, it was still early on in my journey through music. Junior in high school I think, before I started coming here.
I got lucky and discovered death grips on the pirate bay just looking at band names and clicking the ones I liked. I thought "death grips" was an absurdly simple name for a band and it intrigued me. I listened to them for a while without even knowing that they had fans besides me.
Sorry for the blog I just got nostalgic.

Evan???

It's definitely experimental, but not as experimental as a lot of people who jerk off over it like to think it is

These

>in 5-10 years it'll be seen as a game-changer.
How exactly? Not a dig at the album, I love it. I just don't see it influencing anything, really.

Fucking ew

I've never told anyone about this and my name is not evan.

In about 5-10 years rap will have evolved past the popular sphere and will have been replaced by the next hot genre. It'll become seriously experimental as the norm and you'll see artist approach it from an artistic point of view rather than a commercial one. This is just how music naturally evolves. A genre starts, becomes a commercial product when popular, then evolves past it's normal listeners, just in time for the next big thing.

clipping. is consistently more experimental than Death Grips + plus there fan base isn't a bunch of 13 year old memers.

Wrong. Popular music regresses into tasteless garbage and people finally realize they're bored of it when something better comes along.

But commercial outfits in every genre are still pretty popular, no? You're right in that genres slowly get more experimental, but that doesn't mean that it won't have its new flavor of pop meme

Oh shut the fuck up

Any example of this? What major genre has become popular, and then hasn't grown more experimental branches afterwards? I can only think of Grunge and Nu-Metal. but those are sub genres.
I mean as in still visible, sure, but they will never reach their heydey again. Classical, rock, jazz, metal, they all rose to fame and then eventually grew out of it and got weirder. I'm sure the same thing will happen with rap.
Also this, these threads are retarded.

That's completely the opposite of the truth except the bit about the fans but the only reason for that is because death grips are more popular. I guarantee that if 13 year old boys with monster backpacks knew about clipping they would be just as retarded if not more so since clipping is literally the j cole of """""experimental""""" rap.

>clipping. is consistently more experimental
No, it's mediocre rapping over trite and gimmicky noise instrumentals. Sincerely cringing t this post. Nobody will fucking agree with you anyways so fuck off.

Lots of genres have renaissance eras. A lot of people consider The 90s to be Rap's best era, but with rap songs topping the charts nowadays and younger people listening to it like crazy, it looks like it hasn't peaked yet

Why don't you give me an example of when it has happened. Any genre of psychedelic music doesn't count since it obviously got better with technology but it's been on the way out since the 90s now that I think about it.

Noise is really only a small part of their sound. They draw insipration from Musique Concrète. Whch is realyl interesting seeing rap music often relies on sampling, which is sort of what Musique Concrète is, just it existed before hip-hop music did.

it peaked in quality, not popularity

Ok
Jazz
>shit pop stuff in the 20-40s
>peaked in 50s-60s
>got really out there and experimental in the late 60s-70s
>now fallen out of favor, but has a big presence in the art music scene
>Classical
>pop music until basically 1860
>got really weird towards the late 1800s early 1900s
>now regulated to art music, barely a presence in pop culture
>Rock
>pop shit until the late 60s
>grew really experimental in 70s-80s
>revived in the 90s with lots of pop shit
>still has a presence but is now much more leaning towards experimental than it's ever been, aside from youtubecore post-rock
>speaking of which, post-rock is having it's pop shit phase now
Punk and metal did the same thing. It's not an exact trend in how it develops, but they all became more experimental after they stopped being popular. No reason to believe rap won't also be the same way.
This.

Modern rap is pretty much indistinguishable from 90s rap, why even compare them.

True, it's unlike any other album I've heard honestly

nice meme friend

I can't even begin to tell you how wrong you are but this is total bullshit. Maybe your dates are correct but your understanding of the way music evolves is fundamentally wrong.

Therein lies the gimmick. Not even saying that because I hate clipping, but it is just gimmick rap.

I could rap over lowercase music but that wouldn't make my music "experimental". It's a gimmick.

Right here

Big dick post
Corpus - Corpus I

How so? How is "people grew tired of shit music" any better?

Predates OP by 24 years, it's experimental enough to be barely recognisable as hip hop at all for most of its running time

i wholeheartedly agree with your posts, but you have to admit that the way they sample whitehouse on wriggle is Groovy.
these.

I don't really see how you can say every noise song they make is a gimmick when tracks like Knees On The Ground make noise an absolutely essential part of the music.

hip hop is already experimental by nature

was dj screw not experimental? j dilla in his total reliance on samples? lil b? viper?

defining experimental hiphop as a genre is the same sort of hipster bullshit that let indie fester and become one of the most bloated catalogs of generic trite to ever grace the music world

Busdriver's albums are experimental as fuck. Especially Cosmic Cleavage, Roadkill Overcoat, Beaus$Eros, and Perfect Hair.

You're the one trying to define it as a genre. We're just sharing music. Preferably music that pushes the envelope of what it means to be hip hop in new and interesting ways.

>hip hop is already experimental by nature
>lil b? viper?

>legitimately experimental

oh god my sides

That's not reeeeaaaally what I said but I think we are talking about different things. You are talking about jazz as if the context for popular music then is the same as it is now, which is not true. people remember John Coltrane, Miles Davis and Charles Mingus because they were popular. They weren't 20s - 40s artists. They were there at the peak. The experimentation you are talking about is what ultimately leads to the destruction of a genre. Once it's been figured out what's left to do but let the clueless masses consume its afterbirth (kenny g). Music is undergoing experiments and evolving constantly, that doesn't mean that every piece of influential music needs to be called "experimental". Experimental music exists to break down the fundamentals of music and try to create something new with what is found deep inside. Most famous examples are pretty cool but there are many who dig so deep there is nothing left to find. I don't know where we can meet in terms of our understanding of popular music but this is exactly what I think right now.

When will be get another NOTM? It's like nothing I've ever heard.

I forgot to mention dark side is one of those "hit-bedrock" albums but it's tasteful as fuck so pretty cool. Pink Floyd were the cutting edge of rock music and marked its actual death with the wall. Another example in the pic. Btw I actually don't know very much about pink floyd and just made this post up thinking there could be some truth to it. Really though truth doesn't exist. All that's real to me is what's in my mind.

I've been banned.

guess not

Never. The idea of experimental music as a genre is dumb. Going out of ones way to be weird and different to not serve a specific purpose but to just be weird is dumb and the text book definition of pretentious.

>clipping is literally the j cole of """""experimental""""" rap.

Never thought of it this way but this fits.

Anyway there was a decent pasta from 1 or 2 years ago that compiled a bunch of Soundcloud rappers that utilized odd time signatures and actually experimental beats. I'm gonna go looking for it, does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Are there people who don't think much of DG generally but still think NOTM is a great experimental album?
Looking at the number of replies this has I can't help but wonder if it's just coming from the large DG fanbase on Sup Forums.

no but if they were any good i would of heard of them by now.

>government plates
>Junior in high school
I don't know if you're officially underage b&, but this is not something you should be proud to admit

This isn't super experimental sounding now, but it was in the early 90s. Otherwise, The Ziggurat for high concept experimental.

Again, this. And a huge slew of early 2000's hip hop from art school dropouts. Doseone + Co. in particular gets my vote via Subtle, Themselves, cLOUDDEAD, 13 & God.

I think NOTM has actually climbed as my fave DG release (alongside NLDW)

>trying new things is dumb and pointless
(you)

youtube.com/watch?v=LXAH6OH_h9U

I agree with your entire post and that is what i was trying to say in my post but phrased it poorly.