Existence is pain. Discuss? How do make your way forward, and why?

Existence is pain. Discuss? How do make your way forward, and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

thefreedomforum.com/topics/are-we-supposed-to-suffer-in-order-to-learn/
youtu.be/szzVlQ653as?t=24
thefreedomforum.com/topics/karma/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I just want to chat. If not suicide, making the world less painful is the conclusion I came to.

Kind of just go with the flow. Do what makes other people happy whilst pondering why I have no will to live.

Just keep swimming.

I do spend time trying to write motivating personal narratives to try to latch on to. So it kind of cycles between delusion and despair.

Make it not painful. Make it worth living.

Hi. Go along with society....
Pretty much the same...

Oh interesting!

Not to pick at you, but that sounds like a catch-22.

Motivation sort of disappears when it's declared. Tell me one of your stories please?

Agreed. Do you have any life goals to that effect? What does your day to day altruism look like?

Like trying to acquire a decent paying career in order to take care of not only myself but family members. Thinking too long about it, I concede that the state or my wealthy extended family would have no trouble supporting them without my contribution.

OP here. When I grew up, I learned to bury my sentimentality.

For example. I have cried, repressed, then stepped on my dead dog out curiosity.

In addition, I think this is how people end up adopting/donating/or to an extreme, become cat-people.

What about creating a life of comfort for future generations? Just spitballing here

So following thaaat, I decided any acts of kindness I happen to express, is convergent to a "good person" while carrying the possibility of ruthless behavior. I mean, showing remorse is undoing the damage, feeling bad is the emotional state. Am I less of a person for thinking this?

I always hear generosity is a sign of guilt. Is that true for you?

I meet my own needs first, and hold onto my better ideas, sometimes at others' expense. Otherwise, my number one rule is : If you see an opportunity to help, you have to do it. Shyness is not an excuse.

I got lost on the second part. Like you don't feel bad when you "show" remorse?

Well, okay, so to an extent I can control my feelings, like an on/off switch.

I identify what I did wrong and adapt that behavior or manage the problem. I don't need the extra motivation of grief.

I would admit my guilt comes from the recognition of my privilege. And to an extent, continued parasitism. I can only justify it by saying that all this selfish concentration of resources is supposed to pay off by future contribution to society.

So.. you're a Stoic?

I love people. But I find it difficult when there's an argument and in order to deescalate the situation, I can drop my ego, anger, humiliation, etc... while other people are not able to do this.

Ah, I feel you there.

Guys i have a problem
not only do i play league but i play soraka mid
i fucking hate myself

I would say no, because the majority of human decision making relies on the emotional packing and things I enjoy designing for example, require emotional attachment and pride. Does that void your definition of Stoicism?

I would start small. Managing a few responsibilities, a part-time job maybe? Then pay for some utility, even as a gesture. Put yourself in a position where change is less daunting.

I don't think so. I always thought Stoicism in practice is more focused on action and appearance regardless of internal state, and what you said maybe more like the idea of detachment in Buddhism.

I'm joining the Marines. Might as well take some commies/mudslimes with me. If I make it out, I'll have self respect. If I don't, life's shitty anyways.

Where you from bud? Grammar gives you away. I'm west coast American.

I do express myself emotionally like these guys to develop relationships. I let myself be more accepting of say, mild racism or classism, which I do not tolerate under my own roof or when running solo.

Ha, WA state, chilly af.

A giant "NO" echoes~
Existence is not suffering. All this millenia we've been evolving we have always tried to minimise "the bad thots xDd". Today you have the luxury of choosing a good life with the opium of morality;unending hedonism.
Secondly,grief and suffering are necessary in the development of a character. That's why complete stagnation will only lead to ostracization from the "tribe".

But, Sup Forums's pain has a simple cure:get a job,be accepted into a real life large group of people,meet girls,procreate..As long as there's no feeling of belonging somewhere you will always be miserable.

Shits and giggles OP. Can't learn to love life? Learn to love the suffering of everyone else, including yourself. Pic very related. My reason for living the next four years.

Simple.

For the moments of joy

Thanks for serving. Killing is whatever. I'm a big fan of eugenics so I would replace everyone who can't adapt. I want atheist, world government that really cares about its people and safeguarding our species by settling beyond Earth. This belief in particular, is why I don't consider myself a good person.

haha, if you just came out whit that conclution, you have a looong way still. still young

Speaking of, should I move back East? I don't wanna get Red Dawn'd.

It is ordained. Amen.

Oh! Where you gangbang fam? I thought you were struggling with english but your real struggle is the street brah

too lazy to pretend I have the answer to this. I found reading this book (and the forum to it which is in the link)...pretty helpful to me. Maybe it'll help some others understand/develop some perspective? What I gather is that we suffer until we learn to avoid suffering, or whatever caused the suffering? You can't really move forward until you fix the source of suffering? Maybe that sounds a lot more obvious than it should. O heck.
thefreedomforum.com/topics/are-we-supposed-to-suffer-in-order-to-learn/

You're dead wrong. There's a reason why good times go by quickly and pain settles. We remember what went bad, the one lost sheep, in order to protect ourselves.

Alright big guy, more than billions of people have, do, and will exist. Why do you matter? You should be scared shitless by how little a role you play.

OP is reading

The longer I exist in this world, the more I am victorious against those whom have intentionally made it painful.

Their hatred only gives me strength and grace.

So far Karmic... yeah toss it. That book is garbage.

no, existence is a cornucopia of emotions; pain, joy, hate, love... it's what makes you who you are.
the look in your first love's eyes right before you kiss. the look in her eyes when your fist born dies. these are things millions of people deal with on a daily basis.
pain is only a strata, one layer of many that makes your landscape.
so stop being a faggot and continue on - for all you know this is all we get.

>Drugs
/thread

Being contrarian is a basic human pleasure. It means you're happy to be a distinct person.

Since everybody feels that way, I think it makes you more indistinct.

Glow on little lightbulb. Brighten my workshop.

Yeah being an edgelord on the interwebs... good stuff.

Sure, but that ultimately brings you back to apathy. Getting addicted to religion/abstinence isn't much different. That said, self-righteousness usually tips the scales. Enjoy your rehab, prick.

Creativity leads to increased entropy. My being reductive is my reaction to Sup Forums not consolidating.

In review -

Some anons "go with the flow" while others fixate on a career, despair, or the emotional rollercoaster in general.

I do not identify with any of you.

So easy... Get fun from being sad.

Crying hysterically while drinking is an underrated hobby. Sad music when you're feeling down... Is that what you mean?

I have no fear, for I know all is as the Force wills it.

Life ain't all burritos and strippers my friends -user

> To live is to suffer. To survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.
>-Nietzsche

I am the Force, and the Force is with me...

This is an intellectual pot luck and you brought flavorless pop culture bones.

And somehow this guy is worse. Get your shit together.

Being thankful for surviving is an evolutionary advantage, not a genuine raison d'etre.

I think you miss the point. Since the simple act of continuing to live ensures pain and suffering it is up to each individual to find a reason they attribute worth adequate to justify their continued existence in this life.

Full disclosure, I'm not looking to be condescending. I don't know, I expected other people to have a calling if they chose not to kill themselves.

Yes. That is the question. I'm asking you Sup Forumsrothers to come up with your answer.

lol

Too much for you?

I know. But that is the best blanket answer that can be given.

What I meant was that Nietzsche's quote didn't imply being thankful in any way. To survive you do not have to be thankful to be alive.
Nor is it laying the foundation for an argument that not being thankful is not an evolutionary advantage. The comment I replied to has no context to the quote in which it was replying to.

Okay, I see what you're saying. And it's not a 'blanket answer'. It's the context in which you find one.

You're telling me your reason to live, is to seek (this). I get that. Unifying theories or the "meaning to life" is the nature of human curiosity.

I cannot attribute any one reason I choose to go on living it is a culmination of the enjoyment I derive from the experiences life has to offer. It's like an open-world sandbox game sure there is a system and there is a general set of rules I am expected to follow to "win" or get the high score but ultimately it is what I make of it and I as the player have the sole ability to dictate how I play. Link related.

That's also my "long answer". My short, day to day belief is "I can, therefore I will help the world."

It's pleasure. You're a hedonist. Congratulations.

I'm saying that the Nietzsche is the best blanket answer it gives you the reason all people do it. It is not possible to give the exact details for each individual with one answer.

I'm not even saying that my particular reason is to discover the meaning of life. The "reason for life" is to perpetuate life. It is the creation of a small amount of order in a universe rife with entropy. It is part of the natures balancing act. Beyond that my individual life has whatever meaning I choose to prescribe to it. Right now that is to explore and enjoy the pleasures it has to offer despite the suffering I know I will have to endure to do so.

>hedonist
yep - nothing wrong with that.

I'm 25 and I've just decided to go really hard making music.

I'm probably not going to succeed. I'm probably not charismatic or a good enough songwriter. I'm probably too old to be just starting to reach my dreams like this.

But this is what I really want to do and I've really committed to it. I'd kill myself in another five years if I wasn't going after it. AAAAAAAND I'm happy and fulfilled.

So, I guess if there is anything to be learned, if you have a dream, die trying to reach it.

This is how I view drives and examples

>biological (family)
>social (politicians)
>ambiguous (religion, us)
>humane (nasa, nelson mandela)

The vast majority of the population will have biological drive to some degree.
I personally do not since I would rather enjoy my life doing what I want to do and not sacrificing what I want for the needs of other little humans.

I can't argue with that. Either we overachieve or underachieve. It's inhuman to be otherwise.

Hey bro
what exactly are you doing? expectations?
Just curious.

I'm 26 and didn't pursue that dream because I get good money being a lawyer... still play daily, etc.

If you're looking for a reason, go humane with me. It's good because it's backed by beneficial logic.

Sweet logical wisdom...

I have no expectations tbh, I just want to play in a band and produce music and see where it takes me. Obviously to be able to do this for a living would be prime but I'm just not getting mu hopes up. I would kill myself if I didn't at least record my songs and play some shows.

I just don't care about anything that happens, like nihilism but easier

Never had any dreams? That sounds defeatist to me. Reconsider living your life.

I envy your courage man.
Hope you get what you want.

I'm betting I'll make great money and even have my instruments in my office to space off at work time.

I tried having dreams but couldn't think of anything good, just kinda waiting for death

You didn't read it did you? Stopped as soon as you read the part about past lives? Selective reading? The book tries to "debunk" the concept of karma actually. I think I chose a bad page to reference to. . lol I'm doing a terrible job. thefreedomforum.com/topics/karma/

Septs isn't painful

I'm trying to make little small steps. work out, eat healthy, say yes more often and care more about my family and friends. Besides that I try to get my life in order: Get a job, get a nice appartement, get enough savings. Just starting a new job on monday and hope this one will last.

Yeah, excuse my offensive remark, I skimmed the comments. Something about refining cumulative suffering. What was your big take from the book?

Thanks dude, congrats on the lawyer gig. That ain't no joke.

...sorry?

Same here. I like that positive attitude!

Thanks for letting me pick your brain. I'll drop a set for yall.

Exactly this. I can't give you advice on how to less miserable OP, because I don't know myself, but if work toward making everyone else around you more miserable, you will feel less miserable in comparison. Let the world burn, laugh. You have no stakes it in, you owe the world nothing but revenge.

Mainly not wanting to ruin my family's psyche.
Suicide is a coward's way to go. Trudging on day by day as the cold loneliness and depression envelops you isn't exactly the optimal way to live, but beggars can't be choosers.

You don't take your own life as it wasn't yours to begin with. All it does is affect other people.

Not miserable? Pain is, y'know, stimulating.

I could choose sadism. I do enjoy screams, but being nice is satisfying also. And I have expectations that require us to be better as a whole.

tl;dr - Burning a marshmellow is fun, but so is nurturing a perfect marshmellow and eating it.

Ahhh, a tourist of the spectrum of emotion i see

You didn't ask to be born. You don't owe the world shit. I don't believe the people who think everyone starts out with sin.

I was suicidal for years and I thought I wouldn't kill myself because my younger cousins looked up to me. No, you need to figure out why life is important instead clinging onto it and forcing that on the next generation.

You can insult me, but I doubt you can explain why.

Good question- I'll prob fk this up haha. I'm going to be honest I haven't even read the book in a few years because I wanted to come back to the book with a different mindset. I wanted to get so tainted by pop culture and society that I'd think meditation was for the devil.

But from what I can remember (trying my hardest to think through my booze and weed stained cloud here) the book taught me To take responsibility for my own actions, and to try to be more rational as a person toward what I consume and believe. People's choices are limited by how much they can comprehend, the world is full of untapped potential but society doesn't profit off of untapping potential, but rather exploitation of other's potential? Kinda sorta. It made me realize it's important to understand other people by being more tolerant towards others but mindful to know when to seperate my self from unnecessary bullstuff. A house can't stay together if it's bricks are crumbling apart, but that's just the machine works, we're all caught in it but...aw fuck what am I trying to say? It probably sounds like anything you could get from reading a sun tzu or self help book, but it was for me much easier to read.

I'm gonna stop playing product demonstration now lol.

Fyi feel feel to curse if you want dude. "fk and bullstuff" don't sound great.