Why haven't I ever seen albums like this or Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven been referred to as...

Why haven't I ever seen albums like this or Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven been referred to as "progressive rock"?

cus it aint

because it's post-rock

can't you read?

people aren't that dumb

Interesting question, after using GOOGLE it took me about 10 seconds to find a good answer:
post-rock is minimalist, prog rock is maximalist.

yep, that's about the tier of stupid answer you'd expect to get after educating yourself for 10 seconds via a search engine

Counterexamples?

But why couldn't you consider it progressive rock?

i mean just removing definitions out of the way

would you really group king crimson / rush (prog rock) with groups such as sigur ros / godspeed (post-rock)?

they employ very different sounds

starting with the obvious, "maximalist" isn't really a term used to refer to music, it refers mainly to visual art, and when it is used to refer to music its usage is very contested and abstract to the point that using without simultaneously arguing a case for which it might be considered so is pointless and redundant

moving on from that, even if you were to accept that music could be considered "maximalist", post rock is not exempt from being considered maximalist music by many of the academic definitions for what might constitute "maximalist music" such as the presence of big orchestrations and melodic and harmonic complexity

just spent another 20 seconds researching it. now i just think you're being a contrarian user, it's obviously not a complete description of the differences between the two genres but it's a good summary.

prog is notes
post is chords

chord1
kôrd
noun
a group of (typically three or more) notes sounded together, as a basis of harmony.
"the triumphal opening chords"

>would you really group king crimson / rush (prog rock) with groups such as sigur ros / godspeed (post-rock)?
No, but I wouldn't fit Muse or even Pink Floyd (70s era anyway) into the KC/Rush camp, or even Slint into the GY!BE camp. They do things differently from each other, and yet they still are considered to have the same genres.

>starting with the obvious, "maximalist" isn't really a term used to refer to music
dropped right fucking there

I actually did read the rest of your post and it didn't get any better

yeah but prog goes do do do and post goes dooodooodooo

Progressive Rock tends to be more melodically and harmonically complex akin to conventional western music meanwhile Post-Rock tends to be relatively simple on both of those ends and its progression is based on dynamics, timbre, subtle changes in arrangement, etc. Prog Rock is to earlier classical music where as Post Rock is to minimalist classical music.

muse is alternative rock and it's been that

it's never been prog rock....

It's maximalist within the context of a rock band. Also see the moody blues.

Prog rock and first wave post rock both have the same core principles of pushing the bounds of rock music. The thing to consider is that prog rock came around when art rock was still a few years old, and rock music as a whole wasn't as developed.

By the mid '70s, prog rock had already become an established genre. Bands like Pink Floyd and Rush made prog super popular, so pretty much any prog after that was expected to sound like that.

First wave post-rock had the same ideas, but it wasn't until second wave post rock came around that the genre had one unifying sound. I think Godspeed is the band that most post-rock bands try to sound like.

Post-rock is a subgenre of prog rock.

drop it where you like, it makes no difference

bump

Sup Forums is such a fucking retarded shitty board it actually depresses me

It's clear to anyone with a functioning brain that post-rock is a subset or continuation of progressive rock and anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly ignorant of anything outside of Anglo-prog, or just stupid

Then why wouldn't the strings, horns and all kinds of other shit present in many post-rock tracks be considered "maximalist" in the context of a rock band too? Face it, your distinction is shit.

Red sounds more like Spiderland than any other 70s prog rock I've ever heard.

>yfw moonchild is the first post-rock song

>mfw