I am not getting Hip-hop

I am not getting Hip-hop.
i listened to The Money Store by Death Grips. Didn't liked it. Thought: "Maybe it was to experimental for me?"
So i listened To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar. Honestly, i think i don't understand this either.
I listened to some couple more artists and the ones i liked the most where Hollywood Undead and Eminem.

So my question is, why do you guys listen to Hip-Hop, what does it mean to you? What are your favorite tracks or albums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wf3jzDb4H7o
youtube.com/watch?v=CL1v1n6iegw
youtube.com/watch?v=HEwSfbE9IXc
youtube.com/watch?v=3nLknje5E9E
youtube.com/watch?v=IW-9eOPAWdA
youtube.com/watch?v=qbbQb9bEcDQ
youtube.com/watch?v=QWveXdj6oZU&t=133s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's for real just nigger shit, dude. They listen to it because it's hip. It's utter garbage.

If you're not retarded you will never enjoy hip-hop. I listen to Tupac occasionally when drunk, but that's the whole point, I am putting myself in the state of mind of a retard and pretending to be retarded for fun.

bump

and i thought i was the only one thinking this

Everyone thinks this. It's just a pointless discussion because you're talking to actual dumb people. So most of us ignore hip-hop threads. I just don't want OP to waste more of his time.

I like Ready To Die by Biggie because I think he's funny, raps over good production, and is clever with his rhyme schemes. But I hardly listen to rap. I really think it's just something to nod your head to and nothing else. There's really nothing substantial to be gained from it

To Pimp a Butterfly is shit. listen to M.A.A.D. City if you want good Kendrick.

Death Grapes is overrated shit too. Money Store is decent but nothing phenomenal.

idk what you're looking for though. I mostly listen to rap cause I really like the production not so much the lyrics. Stuff like YG, Clipse, Kanye, Blu & Exile, etc are generally what i like.

It's the only music with actual lyrical potential. Every other genre is just sound, in Hip-Hop, when you have a proper lyricist on the microphone, you have poetry. People mentioned To Pimp a Butterfly - you can read the lyrics and still enjoy it, because of how much thought was put into writing so many interesting, relevant stories.

Personally I can't get into stuff like rock because of how strongly it relies on instruments. In hip-hop you can have a simple boom-bap beat and still make something unique and special.

>Every other genre is just sound
Yeah cuz when I put on a folk album I listen for the acoustic guitar strumming

Hollywood Undead is barely hip hop, but they are decent, they just understandably get a bad rep around here. But it's still better then stuff like Lil Yachty or Uzi Vert.

Very rarely does hip hop actually have any value, it's just something that can be fun to listen to if you're in the mood. If you like Sunn O))), then no hip hop album in existence would be too experimental for you. Listen to Danny Brown - XXX.

Then what are you listening it for? Lyrics are just a filler in other genres, they might as well been yodling over the music.

The lyrics. I sure hope you're baiting bc if you think that hip hop is the only genre where lyrics matter, you are certified retarded

i hope you don't actually believe this

He's probably an underage wigger or an actual nignog, go easy on him

i'll give it a shot

Reminds me of lil Dicky, which is a good thing.
I could imagine me listen to this if i just want to chill with my homebois

What fucking lyrics? Yet another dumb whore crooning over a lost boyfriend to a shitty guitar? Or some guy complaining about not being able to fit in? I'm yet to hear a non-hip hop artist who is not a total cornball with his pen.

I've never really dug hip-hop either. There are a few albums I do quite like because they blend elements from other genres like noise (Exmilitary, Derbe Respect Alder, END, Carnelian), jazz (You're Dead, BBNG), plunderphonics (Endtroducing, Clouddead) etc.

Are you listening to XXX? I love Danny's voice. The first half of the album is pretty relaxed and fun, but it does get pretty emotional by the end of it.

Bob Dylan
Had better lyricism in a single album than all of hip hop, and did it multiple times

I'd still prefer those lyrics over the played out drugs, bitches, and money that rappers have been talking about for 30 years now.

yes i am. I am not really focusing that hard on lyrics right now, but sounds more listenable than the other stuff i listened to before

>22 posts
>9 IPs

Conversation and discussion typically don't end at one comment

GEE IT'S ALMOST LIKE PEOPLE ARE HAVING AN ACTUAL DISCUSSION

Considering the first 7 comments were not replies to other comments and just circlejerking I'm pretty sure someone's samfagging to some extent

>Discussion
>Sup Forums

Pick one.

didnt liked it

epic thread
hollywood undead and eminem with a shitty guitar edge band for the pic

There's plenty of actual discussion outside your cancerous RYM/bleep/tsg/kpop containment threads.

what are you implying?
i am not into hip-hop so i only know "mainstream" artists and the guitar edge band is just a picture of an experimental drone band

the first 5 comments are probably held between two people

No one who actually likes rap likes death grips and tpab us lame
The only way to get into hip hop is to listen to the most ignorant of it, then work your way up to "2experimental4u " pretentious shit

Listen to
bankroll fresh-walked in
Gucci mane-trap house volume 1
Sauce walka- a bag
Mozzy- 1up finna drop
Future-56 nights or trap niggas
2chainz verse on mercy (like not the whole song, literally just his verse)
Shit like that

You have to understand the people who make hip hop, even alternative hip hop, didn't get into it because of experimental rappers and pretentious projects.
they most likely heard 50 cent talk about taking some dudes girlfriend in the club and thought that shit sounded hot, only way to truly appreciate the genre is to do the same.

This isn't true at all. As someone who listens to a lot of alternative/experimental I find that end of hip-hop much more accessible. It all depends where you're coming from.

>death grips
>hip hop
Will this meme never end

>Implying drugs money and bitches haven't been a major topic of adult oriented art of every genre since the first days of storytelling.

I like it for the same reason I like any other genre.
hip hop can create unique atmospheres and tell interesting stories. It's like experiencing another culture.

Also, good hip hop can have really cool instrumentals that you may not be able to find in other genres.

Try listening to good kid maad city and madvillainy. I didn't like tbap at all, so it may just not be your cup of tea.

Meanwhile in reality no rapper even approaches Joanna Newsoms lyrics even though the entire genre is dedicated to lyricism.

And it has never been very interesting

Most hip hop is basically a musical fashion accessory for teenagers and retards. There's some legitimately good stuff too though.

>listen to this meme rap garbage
No thanks

I mostly listen to hip hop if I want to get pumped up for something, musically I think it's mostly utter shit. I'm convinced that most hip hop fans on Sup Forums are pic related's who want to try and fit in.

>It's the only music with actual lyrical potential.
>"THIS DICK AINT FREEEEE"

Almost every time I try to read hip hop lyrics, I just give up. Most of them are indecipherable due to a combination of awful grammar and every other word being some obscure nigger slang.

>says tpab is lame
>goes on to recommend basic shit
>says it's the only way to get into hip-hop

kill me.

/thread
you need to understand neger and have a sub 100 iq
hip hop is a meme you won't get if you don't meet these requirements

IQ is not compatible to good music taste

Source: I have an IQ of 130 and only like mucore and metal

You seem to like white rappers. In that case, listen to:
R.A. The Rugged Man
Diabolic
Apathy
Eyedea
Beastie Boys
Yelawolf
!MayDay!
Action Bronson
El-P
Rittz
Fort Minor
Celph Titled

Even metal has more poetic lyrics than hip hop. I like some rap doe.

>Why I listen to hip-hop?

I listen to it for the beats, flows n lyrics. Its also good to just chill too aswell

>What does it mean to you?

A heap. Easily my favorite music genre. The music itself isnt the only reason why wither. The history of it has the most interesting history to out of any genre. Countless of classic albums that will be relevant in hundred of years to come

>What are your favorite tracks or albums?

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang
youtube.com/watch?v=Wf3jzDb4H7o

Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
youtube.com/watch?v=CL1v1n6iegw

Nas - Illmatic
youtube.com/watch?v=HEwSfbE9IXc

Digable Planets - Reachin'
youtube.com/watch?v=3nLknje5E9E

OutKast - ATLiens
youtube.com/watch?v=IW-9eOPAWdA

I'd reccommend these albums too desu.

If you are only getting into hip-hop Death Grips is definitely not the way to go. To Pimp A Butterfly may also be a bit too much, because the lyrics is actually pretty profound on most tracks and the jazz theme may be a bit hard to get into. Listen to GKMC if you want to get into Kendrick.

sure but low iq is compatible with hip hop

do you listen to j cole by any chance

probably some of these

since you like HU, you'd probably like !MayDay! and Beastie Boys, they're kind of like HU's style except actually good

if you like edgier over-the-top lyrics then listen to R.A. The Rugged Man, Diabolic, Celph Titled, Yelawolf, and Apathy.

I'm not a huge hip hop fan but I like some of what i listen to. For me i just love the rhythms, I enjoy the flow of rappers, some wordplay. Some more experimental stuff can be cool but i dont fuck with that much. I love the cold minimal beats gangsta rap can have a lot, shit's dope. For me there's nothing really to get other than "this flows well and grooves nice".

why are those threads cancerous? Oh no people talking about music other than my beloved slint, loveless and radiohead!!!

>why are those threads cancerous?
Not that user, but if you can't see why rym is cancerous you need to get off the board. It's literally all jerking over rym user drama and gossip. It's fucking sophomore year of high school on Sup Forums.

I really hate most hip hop. Basically, the dude rapping over the music ruins it for me. It's the sonic equivalent of taking a shit on a (potentially) beautiful painting. Hence, I enjoy some instrumental hip hop like J Dilla. Rarely I find some hip hop that doesn't cross the threshold of being irritating, Run The Jewels for example is decent. In spite of trying to enjoy every genre from chiptune to free jazz, rap/hip hop is my least favorite genre.

TPAB is an amazing album but it's not something you'll be able to appreciate unless you listen to rap music in general.

Start somewhere light with something like FHD or GKMC, or just watch this and follow the youtube recommend section of rap music.

youtube.com/watch?v=qbbQb9bEcDQ

Sup Forums is quite honestly the worst board on Sup Forums.

Metal lyrics are in general just filler. And very cringey filler at that.

Watch this video.

youtube.com/watch?v=QWveXdj6oZU&t=133s

You're now a hip hop fan.

>RYM
Disgusting tween drama

>bleep
Concentrated shitposting

>tsg + kpop
Barely music-related, just lewd photos

you would be better off staying away from hip hop if you're only going to listen to junk like this

I think it's fair to say none of those are truly representative of hip hop. Maybe Kendrick.

If it's not your thing, it's not your thing... but I wouldn't write off the genre until exploring stuff from the Juice Crew, Native Tongues, DITC, Wu + associates and uhh... I dunno, Hieroglyphics I guess.

I'm also an oldfag with a penchant for rare groove / northern soul, so that explains my ~le classic boom bap~ bullshit.

KEK

great contribution fried :^)

so what music do you listen to?

nope thats Sup Forums by far

>nigger nigger nigger
>glock in the 'rari
>percocet nigga
they really are saying the things that matter

rock relies on talent, rap is just niggers talking rhytmically about their criminal behaviour. Since you grew up in a rich white neighborhood it's all so exotic and cool to you. I grew up in the hood so I think this shit is stupid + you are literally a cuckold for liking rap