Capitalizing on your wife's death

>capitalizing on your wife's death

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/urg6rrz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>It's not for singing about, it's not for making into art
>sings about it, makes it into art

This is fucking ridiculous. You suggest that I can't take criticism as I sit here for HOURS fending off a bunch of raging retard aspies. What fucking mental institution did you whores escape from? I feel like I'm in some alternate universe where sane thought has been replaced by mental retardation. You guys think that I'm so bad because I judge people's music taste yet you're doing THE SAME THING. You are fucking hypocrites of the highest god damn caliber. Next time you go to a record store I hope you freak out like the autists you are make a giant fucking mess of a situation where everybody around you laughs. It must be hard not having any fulfillment in life beyond winning internet arguments with strangers, mustn't it? Learn some basic human fucking respect you shitlicking neanderthal scum. It's not hard to talk without using memes all the fucking time.You argue solely with greentext and stupid reaction images, it's like FOR FUCKS SAKES just talk like a person. None of you EVER explained how jazz is in any way, shape, or form even moderately engaging on the most basic fucking level. You are are all toilet humping trannies who probably post pictures of yourselves in rainbow thigh-highs for attention because you have no way of getting it in real life. Stop replying and go jerk off to captain beefhearts autistic fish head orgy you stupid fucking queers. I hope you all fall into fucking manholes and break your skulls open, god you are fucking retarded.

This is fucking ridiculous. You suggest that I can't take criticism as I sit here for HOURS fending off a bunch of raging retard aspies. What fucking mental institution did you whores escape from? I feel like I'm in some alternate universe where sane thought has been replaced by mental retardation. You guys think that I'm so bad because I judge people's music taste yet you're doing THE SAME THING........

Look a post worst than yours.

he's talked about how he feels conflicted about it in literally every interview he's given about this album. it's his job to make songs and release records

Also, cremation saves on average $10,000

that's the point, he's being hypocritical and he knows it but it's all he can do at this point to cope

>being this retarded
now all you need is a tripcode

samefag

>trolling on an ancient Atlantis prison camp license plate pressing forum

No, take him at his word. This album is not about death. There's more to it than meets the eye.

in what way?

>capitalizing on the Vietnam War
>It ain't me stars playing

1:04 AM, Vdara Hotel
Room 14015, April 9, 2016
Our day started today with many kisses
You were on your way out the door to Southern California 'til the fourteenth
And I was on my way to Las Vegas, then to New Orleans
When you said bye and closed my apartment door behind you
A heavy feeling fell upon me, it hit me in a very real way
That we'll live the rest of our lives together
And that gives me so much happiness and comfort
But it also hit me harder than ever before that one day we'll say goodbye for a final time
Every day we get closer and closer to death
I have no illusions of an afterlife
And have no idea how much longer I have on this planet
Or what my quality of life will be in five, ten, fifteen years
Where will our final goodbye be? What condition will I be in?
And how will your health be? Are we even sure we'll be in the same place when one of us has to go?
I don't like goodbyes
I've had enough last goodbyes with people to know that it's the most painful emotion in the world
I don't want to live for eternity, life is filled with too much sorrow
My mind keeps flashing to a woman I saw recently
Of her and her son asleep in the car on the Tenderloin on a very hot day
They were in a tow-away zone and looked to be completely passed out
She had a big map open on her lap
But I knocked on the door and though she couldn't speak to me she was okay
My biggest hope in life is that you are beside me when I die
I've lived many lifetimes in forty-nine years
But the best time of my life is of my days and years spent with you
I'm getting older and my stomach is bloated and feels off
I burp too much, I'm that middle-aged guy with a gut that I never thought I'd be
And here I am in Las Vegas
Family men with bellies bigger than mine are walking around with Guns N' Roses t-shirts
My elevator was shared with people who've arrived from the Philippines to see the Pacquiao fight
How many more times will I fly to Las Vegas?
I saw Pacquiao when he was rising

>capitalizing on your vacuum

In San Francisco in 2000 at Bill Graham
Now he's thirty-seven and this might be his last fight
My money is on Bradley to win by a decision
That's why I'm here, to see what may be Manny's last fight, if in fact he does win
I'm getting older and Las Vegas is as wild as ever
But I'm tired and I hear the hum of a small refrigerator
My mind and my eyes are fading
Vdara Hotel, 1:03 PM, April 9th
Meeting Tony in the lobby at 2:00 PM for lunch
Just turned on CNN
"Paris terror fugitive is hitman in Brussels bombing"
I woke up at about 9:00 AM

Terrible nightmare that Caroline and I were being followed by this creepy lizard-y-looking plastic surgery guy I saw on the plane yesterday
He was following us to a hotel
But I was diplomatic, turned around, and told him we'd meet him on the balcony of some bar nearby
When we arrived and talked to him, he started throwing insults at me
And I knocked his drink out of his hand and into the street
He stayed there unfazed
Then I grabbed him by his neck, lifting him, pushing him almost, but not quite, over the balcony
I told him to go fuck himself and to stay the fuck out of our lives
He finally shut his stupid mouth
And as we left, Caroline told me that I was good with dealing with creeps
That was the end of the dream

April 10, seat 2E, United Airlines, Las Vegas to New Orleans
The fight didn't go as I thought
To me, the math added up to Bradley winning by a decision, if it went the distance
But Bradley was knocked down twice and lost
Bradley had a few moments and I jumped up out of my seat, threw my fists in the air, and got pumped up with excitement
But Manny was faster and countered him
Manny was the best fighter that night
We were in seat 19B, right where the fighters entered and exited
I felt bad for Bradley when he passed
His trainer Teddy Atlas looked deflated, yet stoic at the same time as he exited

@71893620
in the way you replied to my post with the same meaning at least twice, and the number of posters didn't increase on the second time

Walking to my girlfriend's in Telegraph with a hand full of roses
Stopped through a corner store, on the TV a Philadelphia cop shot by ISIS
30,000 people murdered in the USA in 2015
And when I go in the studio later today we're gonna put up a mic and about this I might sing
See I don't give a fuck about things like who's the best or the worst on Twitter
And the other social media, money-making scheme turning you into a zombie
Jerking you off, masturbator, procrastinator
While the kids in Silicon Valley take your money and say, "Can we get the check, waiter?"
While they bulldoze your favorite building in town and turn it into a fucking fruit shake maker
You got the brains to be the next Norman Mailer
You got the longevity to be the next Elizabeth Taylor
You got the class to be the next James fucking Spader
You got the swagger to be the next Stiv fucking Bator
But are you sitting on the toilet staring at your phone like a perfectly tailored, made-to-order puppet

I ain't no one's puppet, I ain't no one's puppet, I ain't no one's puppet, I ain't no one's puppet

I ain't no one's fucking puppet, I ain't no one's fucking puppet, I ain't no one's fucking puppet, I ain't no one's fucking puppet

Okay, so here I am, back home
I'm gonna read another chapter of this book, Beatlebone
The part so far that's made me the most smile is the page that has multiple uses, uses of the word "wily"
That's me, a wily motherfucker
Come to Massillon and that's what you get, sucker
Gimme a one out of five, a big fat ten
Give me a two, either way it's all after me
And to all of you I say:

"Oh my god, you're a music journalist! Do you get to go to SXSW?"

"Yeah, pretty much every year. I mean, the magazine I work for sends me out there."

"Oh my god, that sounds like such a blast."

"Yeah, it's a lot of fun. I mean, it's super hard to get into VIP-after-show parties but, I don't know, maybe if you tag along I might be able to get you in."

"Oh my god, you get to meet the bands?"

>capitalizing on your own suicide

Lost all respect for Elliott.

DEVESTATING
HEARTCRUSHING
STREAM IT HERE ON MY AD SPONSORED WEBSITE

The fucking point is that he could have done this mourning project and NOT sold it.
It's not even that good apart from the story.

My point is that as much as I pity the man, and cried several times from this album.
He's selling his dirty laundry.

>capitalizing on your arrowheads

>capitalizing on your seizures

would you prefer he and his daughter go hungry?

He said in an interview that the major cause for the album was money for his daughter. That, and if he didn't release music he would be in the poorhouse.

Yeah, because you and I were the only posters in here. God, you're retarded.

"Yeah, totally. I'm friends with Jim James, Dr. John Misty, a bunch of people. [notification sound] Hold on a second, Sufjan Stevens just texted me right now."

"Oh, no way. I love him. So do you get to wear laminate?"

"Yeah, I mean it makes me feel a little self-conscious but, you know, you sort have to, you know, get into certain shows."

"Oh my god, that's so cool!"

Let me ask you: do you own your own story
Being pimped the fuck out like a pay for a hoe
If you're a man in charge, cling with staunch feminists and give a woman your job or shut the fuck up
"Queen Bitch" is a cool David Bowie song
And so is "Rebel Rebel" and "Diamond Dogs"
Can you hear me to talking to you, Major Tom?
Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one

Should my girl be knocking
When we see each other everything's stopping
Yes who my girl be knocking
When we see each other everything'll be stopping

Oh, how I love her
Oh, how I love her

I'm watching Cocaine Cowboys Part Three
Girlfriend will be here at 7:00 then we're gonna go see a movie
Next week, got me a show in LA
Just had a nice dinner at the Elite Cafe
Walk to the movie and decide to skip our plan
Came back, turned on the TV, and watch The Falcon and the Snowman
All the way to the end, where they're walking side by side
Ankle chains in prison
And we watched a show on the Mongols with Lisa Ling hosting

Then we watched some shit about Satanists
Taking over Detroit
I gotta say, Detroit being taken over by Satanists was pretty soft stuff

Now it's 3:03 AM and the rain is pouring down
When I wake in the morning all I care about is that you're around
Now it's 3:04 AM and the rain is pouring down
When you're beside me, that's all I care about

Oh, how I love you
Oh, how I love you

That's a bit different then.
As OP, I consider this a legit opinion.

As for me, I'd get a side job as an alternative to selling the story about my dead wife.

>capitalizing on your dead Korean boxer

>capitalizing on your old boots

>capitalizing on your own death

And that's why you'd be a terrible father. Luckily, that won't ever happen, though.

>capitalizing on Katrina

Getting a job is being a bad father?

>capitalizing on your capitalism

>Making money that is directly brought in by something you did is not a job

Damn, it must feel amazing not knowing basic definitions.

It is possible he has a job and not only still continues to engage in the craft both he and his wife pursued (the craft that brought them together and made up most of both of their lives), but is required to continue to sell music in addition to his job because, suddenly without a second provider and in the vacuum of hospital bills, he is having difficulty making ends meet.

Just a possibility.

Have you ever made money from music? Do you have the option or the experience to compare your life to his?

don't be silly user, everyone knows creating art isn't a proper job! phil should be doing something proper like delivering pizzas

I have, but not in the same nature.
Why doesn't he sell a piece of her grave while he's at it.

>The United States Supreme Court held that “to be engaged in a trade or business, the taxpayer must be involved in the activity with continuity and regularity and that the taxpayer’s primary purpose for engaging in the activity must be for income or profit. . . . A sporadic activity, a hobby, or an amusement does not qualify.”

Don't be silly user, everyone isn't as embarrassingly stupid as you!

>capitalizing on your shitposting

The best part is that this is maybe his best reviewed album of all time and will be brought up for years and years to come. This shitposting will be forgotten so incredibly quickly.

Nope, when it's wrong, it's wrong.

0/10 you're just butthurt

>capitalizing on the death of the man you murdered

>capitalizing on the death of the world trade

>capitalizing on the death of Kurt Cobain

>capitalizing on a thousand lonely suicides

>capitalizing on your guitarist's headshot

c'mon man, I was clearly mocking that other user

No, just slightly unsettled by the fact that no one's saying how exploitable this is.

>capitalizing on another user's shitposting

Who's the real monster here, user?

>I have, but not in the same nature.

Are you a musician who makes money from his trade and/or do you have a deceased spouse and infant child?

Nope, I'm not a talentless hack either.

>Basinski - Disintegration Loops
>capitalising on 9/11

PHIL KILLED HIS FUCKING WIFE BY INJECTING HER WITH CANCER
HE CAPITALIZED ON HER DEATH TWICE BY GETTING DONATIONS FROM FANS AND THEN HE PROCEEDED TO WRITE AN ALBUM ON IT
ANTHONY FANTANO FOUND OUT BUT PHIL PAID HIM A LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY TO GIVE HIS ALBUM A 9 AND KEEP QUIET ABOUT PHIL'S EVEIL WAYS
THE GLOW PT 2 IS SHIT

>capitalising on your feels

>I'm not a talentless hack either.

What is your talent?

What have you produced of substance?

>make a career as a songwriter
>should stop working forever because wife died

?

why are there so many obnoxious cunts from mucord who don't have an opinion that's special or unique tripfagging lately
you AND skabetty, damn

I dont like mount eerie and I think they are extremely overrated
shitposting is all I have left in my life
at least let me have this user

>mucord
Oh lord, theres a Sup Forums discord or what

so Ravens is the best song, right

There is a Sup Forums discord and it is a huge shithole (just like the board!)
Yes

this opinion is so subjective that it ends up just being a distillation of idiocy.

you made this thread so you could actually have 'people' to talk to. there's really no other explanation.

What the fuck, there's a Sup Forums discord?
Link?

discord.gg/urg6rrz

I wouldn't care if the music was good but its utter, contrived garbage.

Yeah basically

Caring about this album at all and taking it even remotely seriously hinges on you already being emotionally invested in his story. It's backed up by months of real emotional buildup and drama thathousands of people have been closely following. When people give 5 star ratings to this album, they're giving a 5 star rating to their own ability to follow an emotional arc. I'm not putting down the man's right to grieve in whatever way he feels necessary and I don't buy that it's a cynical cash-grab or anything like that - I'm sure it is 100% genuine. But it isn't good music, it isn't even bad music - it's barely music at all and it certiainly isn't noteworthy. The fact that it's getting rave reviews is frankly patronising and insulting.

i would kill my wife for critical acclaim desu

Like you know when Blackstar dropped and everyone got mad that people weren't separating the art and the context? This must be how they felt. But the thing is, Blackstar was backed with great creative SONGS and songwriting, compelling production and lyrics, a couple of fantastic music videos.

This is just a desperately sad man outpouring his grief in the only way he can, yet people are buying into it as this artistic masterstroke. It's disgusting really. It's everything Elliott Smith's detractors say come true. A cultish fetishization of despair. Artistic quality no longer matters to anyone - as long as you're depressed, as long as you're struggling, as long as you're unhappy then we'll accept you.

The music listening community has gone off the deep end.

>capitalizing on the holocaust

Sounds familiar

k

yeah, you couldn't sell shit if you tried. you're just talentless

How does a 30-something year old dude like phil have no marketable skills for a fucking job?

>every 13 year old white boy who likes music and uses the internet buys a vinyl copy of his ep for their crosley
>poor house
yeah right. hes rich as fuck and moving to a private island he even mentions this in the album.

>Capitalizing on your dying wife

Really good post.

>"wife"

aren't they "separated" or some shit

>capitalizing on your own imprisonment

He's a musician.

His job is literally to make music about his feelings so that he can feed his daughter and himself.

What fucking else is he supposed to do?

>it's not made for anyone
>releases it as both a gofundme item and makes it available for purchase through multiple online marketplaces.

>What fucking else is he supposed to do?
get a much more stable job to feed for his daughter now that he's the only breadwinner in the house.

Jeez, man. It's been a few months. Give the guy a fucking break. His wife just died. He is doing the best he can.

>capitalizing on your talent

participating in a capitalist system is unethical by nature imo

tru

He really milked those for all he could

I guess he should just lay down and die huh

underrated post

>capitalizing on your vocalists suicide

>capitalizing on mozart

He's done nothing but make music since he was 17 interning at K Recs

fuuuuuuck you

>Phil should die of starvation because I'm a retard
compelling argument

He's not rich don't be fucking stupid.

But there is a valid point to be made here. He's definitely not poor either, and he didn't "need" to make this album to live since he could just re-release some boxset and make a bunch of money (or in any case, the kickstarter campaign got him a lot of money that ultimately wasn't used). I don't think this was the reason why he released the album, and I don't think Phil sees himself or cares about seeing himself as some sort of saint. He most probably just sees himself as an artist, and thus felt an obligation to produce this piece of art. I'm sure he's aware of how people would perceive this decision and make it seem like he's being hypocritical/immoral or this album looking like a pity case, tbf this probably was forefront in his mind when making it. He's not denying wanting to be loved and wanting others to acknowledge his pain, he talks about it constantly, what's so wrong with that?

i kek'd

>sings about how death isn't artful but real
if he really loved her how will he be able to preform these songs over n over

but who'd be there to write the album of the year about it?