What's the verdict again?

what's the verdict again?

Worth the weight

Probably going against the majority opinion here, but I think it's better than Loveless. There's a greater variety of songs on this album, the drum n bass influenced tracks are great.

>I believe that the so-called shoegaze movement of bands is essentially just a gang of pretentious art school kids trying to create noise, but they're putting emphasis on some sort of cool, mysterious, sexy factor by obscuring the vocals and creating some hazy, druggy "atmosphere". Every one of these bands seem to have this woman in the front, acting provocatively on stage, wearing tons of makeup, and making some type of peculiar moaning tribal sex noise instead of singing legible lyrics. Underneath all the noise and obscured vocals, it's just your basic pop-rock, just pure bubblegum pop that's been peddled on your local radio station by the record company for the past 50 years. Same song structure, same basic premise at the core of it. But since there's a loud reverb-laden guitar it's so deep, so original, so creative.

>When people regard a group like Slowdive or Lush or Jesus and Mary Chain or My Bloody Valentine as the pinnacle of noise, or call these groups innovative and challenging in any way, I throw up in my mouth a little. People regard this mindless pop as noise, instead of listening to an actual noise group like The Jesus Lizard or Big Black. This shit is the reason that the development of British music has stagnated over the past 15 years, and will continue to do so.

It's a 9.5 out of 10 just falling short of loveless. excellent album and definitely one of the best rock and shoegaze albums of this decade.

wow did Britney really say that?

>Implying she's mentally capable of forming such sentences
>Implying her data analysts would allow it

>instead of listening to an actual noise group like The Jesus Lizard or Big Black

The atmosphere this album creates is dreamy, hazy and trance like. That's why I like mbv. It seems that they are not at their creative peak as a band anymore, given that there are no memorable songs, like there were on Loveless.

i think that's because loveless is held in such a high regard, some people think that there's no memorable songs because it has so much to live up for. I think wonder 2, only tomorrow, and new you are very memorable.

Better than Loveless.

To be fair, I've only listened to mbv once. I'll have to revisit it. I was also utterly disappointed with Isn't Anything. It sounded like any other alt rock band of the time. What's your opinion on it?

Isn't anything is great. Feed me with your kiss is one of mbv's best songs. It's not as atmospheric as their other stuff, it's more raw and less pedal focused but I still like it.

Do they have a plan of going on tour in the near future? I think it would be an interesting experience. And do you have any recommendations for other shoegaze albums worth listening to, other than the holy trinity?

Listen to Isn't Anything again, it's really good but harder to get into than Loveless imo

Big Black is really good tho

I don't think shoegaze as a whole is hard to get into. And I'm not new to experimental music either. My main gripe with Isn't Anything is the familiar, slightly dated sound.

Some great songs but overall a disappointment

Isn't Anything - 2/10
Loveless - 9/10
m b v - 6.5/10

It was heralded as a masterpiece by pretty much all the publications that had ignored their real masterpieces. Truth is that the beginning borders on self-parody: She Found Now (basically an update of Sometimes) whispers lounge pop to an endlessly repetitive guitar pattern; the amateurish shoegaze-pop of Only Tomorrow has an unfinished guitar progression that the average hard-rock band would have turned into dynamite; and Who Sees You (basically an update of Only Shallow) boasts one of the most predictable guitar solos of the genre. If nothing else, the second trio of songs drops Shields' annoying whisper for Bilinda Butcher's coldly morbid hissing. However, the suspenseful and futuristic cosmic quasi-instrumental Is This And Yes is hardly innovative 20 years after Stereolab; and If I Am is little more than a nostalgic tribute to the film music of the 1960s. New You is a winner, relatively speaking, of what used to be called "bubblegum pop": a marching progression a` la Tommy Roe's Dizzy, a guitar vibrato a` la Tommy James' Crimson & Clover, etc. This Freudian return to the (rock) womb continues on the chaotic imitation of the Madchester sound of the 1990s of In Another Way. The album closes with the two "experimental" pieces. Other than looping a frenzied drum pattern, it is not clear what the instrumental Nothing Is is trying to achieve. Wonder 2 is hyper-distorted warped psychedelia and does certainly more than simply update Loveless to the 21st century. However, the problem remains the same: a trivial idea gets repeated endlessly without coalescing into anything of substance.There is little to salvage on this collection of mediocre derivative songs. This is the confused work of musicians with no inspiration who desperately try different styles hoping that at least one will work.they maybe were not so great after all. In the annals of rock music i can't remember a reunion that did not disappoint. I would be glad to write that this is the exception to the rule.

They're ok but hardly "actual noise". It's just post-hardcore with scratchy production.

While I don't think mbv is groundbreaking, this review reeks of Christgau. Is it actually his review?

Should have been released back in 1999.

It's Scaruffi you plen

>xgao
>writing this much

Figures.

people that say this are missing the point. the complexity isnt meant to be in the composition of the song but the layers of noise and how they interact with eachother. its more production based than anything

It's not like it can't happen. When you're a devout contrarian, it's always a possibility.