I've been lucky enough to spend a year in the US studying as an exchange student, here's what I've learnt

I've been lucky enough to spend a year in the US studying as an exchange student, here's what I've learnt

- Americans genuinely believe they live in the best country in the world. They passionately hoist their flag up everywhere and they sing their national anthem at any given opportunity (like at a friggen prom). They don't know much about the outside world (a lot of them don't have passports)
- Fresh fruit and veg is rare or non existent. It is really hard to eat healthy because frozen food is so cheap and abundant. The typical American does not cook, they put frozen chicken strips in the oven
- There is a serious lack of culture. I don't know how to describe this one, but there is a lack of "something". The comedy is dire, it's slapstick clown shit for idiots to laugh at. And the music: Just watch nicki manaj anaconda and you will get the idea

If anyone has experience living in the US as an expat please share your stories

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y3igHZcWUHk
home.cern/topics/birth-web
youtube.com/watch?v=1H9Ar2-71Vc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It sounds like you moved to a city. In rural areas, fresh produce (and meat) is the norm. You usually even know the people who grow them.

Flag hoisting and all of that other patriotic bullshit is just something people do because 'it is done.' I have a flag on my property. My neighbors have flags. It means nothing to me and is basically yard decoration.

Our culture is awful. Maybe it's because we're a relatively young country, I don't know. But whatever the cause, it is indeed shit.

YO OP.. Moved to this country with I was 12 yrs old. You are correct in a lot of ways but In the country, fresh meat and veggies are plentiful

Oven, thats funny. Most of the plugs microwave their trash

the flag thing is just basic indoctrination. if you are made to pledge to a thing every day at school i'm sure it would affect you too.

Sounds like you need to move back to whatever third world country you came from before American decides to invade it.

>...before American decides to invade it.
American education system right there, folks.

where did you visit?

Point by point

>Americans genuinely believe they live in the best country in the world
We do
>Fresh fruit and veg is rare or non existent
It is abundant. Has your third world ass been in a US supermarket?
>There is a serious lack of culture
No one gives a shit what you think

Get your filthy self back to Europistan where you can wipe your ass with your bare hand in peace

>Fresh fruit and veg is rare or non existent
You're one stupid son of a bitch

We've got some pretty cool mountains and thermal features. So that's pretty neat.

There's predator and there's prey. We just happen to be predator.

Exactly what country do you hail from then?

Nice bait. I can literally 6 different stores within ten miles and get fucking fresh fruit and vegetables.
Lack of culture lol that's funny we have the most culture in the fucking world.

You can 6 different stores and you have the most culture? wow that says it all

i accidentally 6 different stores

In rural areas there is a culture amongst successful Peogle that is unlike anywhere in the world. Farmers who worm hard, drink hard, and tell good stories. They are engineers, farmers, mechanics and didn"t go to school to learn it. They learned from their parents and grandparents. The land owning class is this country has strong culture and tradition.

Fucking Leaf

you know your country fucked up when they elected a guy so bad he makes george w bush look good.

For now, that is

>They don't know much about the outside world (a lot of them don't have passports)

Exactly how many states did you know before moving to the us?

>HURR DURR THAT IS THE MOST AMERIKKKAN RESPONSE EVER

See map

>HURRR DURRR ANOTHER TYPICAL AMERIKKAN RESPONSE, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THEY DON'T HAVE MONEY.

Would the average person in your country know the capital of Germany or France?

>HURR WE DON'T HAVE SHITTY EDJUMACTION SYSTEM LIEK YOU AMERIKKANS HAVE, OF COURSE THEY'D KNOW.

And would they know anything about Turkmenistan or Mauritania?

>Uhhh no...

And why not?

>Because they're shitty little countries and compared to us they're completely insignificant and don't really matter.

Yeah exactly. The rest of the world matters to you, to us though, not so much.

>There is a serious lack of culture

Well seeing as how U.S. culture dominates the world you'd be included in that by extension.

OP, you're full of shit America is fucking YUUUGGEEE and I doubt you've seen or experienced any more than your TV and a few miles around your campus. Go fuck yourself, nigger of unknown origin. Go back to your country. You're not needed here.

>we have the most culture in the fucking world
Top KEK this week

Give me a fucking break. The single most uneducated, least-traveled, Bible-thumping demographics in this country are in absolutely no way "a culture amongst successful people".

>2017
>literally can't 6 different stores

britfag here. while most american culture is kind of shitty, the rest of the world seems to suck it up like a warm log of shit from andy sixxs asshole.
anyway, got to get backto my tea and crumpets
>tips monocle

see

>for now
>one of the most red pilled men is about to become our president

What country are you from?

Been living here my whole life this is pretty inaccurate.

lmao was thinking this. You missed the produce section OP.

I moved to Ohio in the U.S. 6 years ago from Sweden. I've not experienced any of what you've stated.

Yes they are, they are the proletariat. They own millions of dollars worth of farm ground and commercial equipment.They
have traveled more than you ever will. You are ignorant and do not know this side of American rural culture.

Nicki Minaj, burgers, guns and explosions aren't culture fuckwit

This

Excuse me the gentry. Nothe proletariat.

My parents own a apartment in new York... And that's not my experience of the American the have even a organic food and fitness in the building !!

What people outside the US think when hearing 'Americans': fat, stupid, rednecks and hillbillies

I honestly admire their patriotism.
People should support their own faction.

nice strawman argument you fuck

>Do they even hang niggers in the building? !!

>I didn't go out into rural america which makes up the largest portion of america

Where I live, tons of people grow and cook their own food and hunt for it too. They're mostly nice people with a good sense of patriotism and community, not to mention a diverse set of opinions and ideas.

The most emulated culture in the world has no culture.

>US cultured
>doesnt even have an official language

Look up how much money U.S. fast food joints and U.S. musicians are making in your country.

Like I said, that would include your pathetic excuse of a nation as well.

Wow you have a seriously warped view of the US

>thermal features
aka a supervolcano that is about to burn you all to a crisp. It'll be some cold years for the rest of us afterwards, but there'll be warmth in our hearts.

Does it matter?

Exactly what did I say in there that wasn't true?

People can't recognize the culture because they're fucking living in it and they don't even know it.

>i have been to one american city/town for 365 days
>i can now make sweeping generalizations about a culturally diverse country of over 300 million people living in vastly different climates/cultures/population densities

Foreigners are really this stupid. Yes I took the bait.

>contradicting your own argument
If they don't have an official language, couldn't that mean that they are bilingual?

>They are the proleteriat
The majority of rural America does not have the reading level to know what proleteriat means.
>They own millions of dollars of farm ground and commercial equipment
Collectively, they own some shit that they use for labor. Great.
>They have traveled more than you ever will
Simply not true. You are either misinfomed or deluded. I have done a fair amount of traveling.
>You are ignorant
MD-PhD candidate, came from the midwest, plenty of family in the areas you are talking about

Now you're just baiting

Move to America for job after being poached while on course.

Move to Alaska slightly after a year or so.

- I love guns, Americans love guns, guns are so cheap here its awesome.
-I love old American cars, old American cars are so cheap here.
-Americans are friendly as fuck, I have about 1billion more friends here.
-I have a snowmobeil and quadbike that I go out with my new bros on weekends.
-They are overly patriotic though. But fuck that its my new home, I have an Ameican flag in my front yard.

Have you ever met a farmer?

>I haven't even been so another country for 15 years
>I can now make sweeping generalizations about all the other countries

Not on /b

>muh stereotypes!
Try getting off your couch and actually meeting people.

>moves to America
>decides to move to Alaska
>kek

>this
/thread

No, I'm actually not, I live in North Carolina in the country side and this has been my experience.

That PhD isn't doing much for you. That cracks me up that you equate a PhD with intelligence. The most intelligent people I know are the millionaire farmers I was just discussing, they have more culture in their work books than you will gain in a lifetime. Keep going to school that's where you belong.

>Waaahh Americans love their country how dare they don't they realize how evil they are

I
Love
America

youtube.com/watch?v=y3igHZcWUHk

Are you retarded?

See I will give you that I am, in fact, currently on a couch, but by nature of my work I see all kinds of people. My wife is a social worker; this further adds to the diversity of population we are exposed to. I reiterate my point nonetheless.

Stop generalizating me!

>smart farmers
>inherited all their wealth
>thinks having things makes one smart
getting a PhD is a stronger indicator of intelligence than a nice inheritance.

The US is far from perfect, but some of the things you're saying are typical eurofag idiocy.

>They don't know much about the outside world (a lot of them don't have passports)

Most of the countries in other areas of the world (e.g. in Europe) are the size of US states. Europeans aren't "cultured" because they travel from France to Spain or Germany to Poland. The actual land mass traveled is not as significant as a cross-country US trip.

>There is a serious lack of culture.

American culture is multiculturalism. Why do you think cities like NY and DC have places like Chinatown? The people that live in the areas make it their own - and they started out as immigrants from other places. Other than that there is a culture that, at least that exists as it is today, developed in stride during WW2. It's a white culture. But there are many others. This is not hard to understand.

Open your mind. Other countries are not very different from America, but America is very large and very diverse. I don't know where you were located, but it sounds like it was not a major metropolitan area. Rural areas in America are dying a slow death to metropolitan areas and associated suburbs. End of story.

Recently moved to UK from north dakota, the OP is not wrong. My town has some of the dumbest fuckwits known to man.

It isn't even like that in the city. I live in Philly and can easily get fresh food for cheaper than frozen food. The only people that think you can't get fresh healthy food are retards that think healthy means organic, and people who only go to meme grocery stores.

>britfag here. while most american culture is kind of shitty, the rest of the world seems to suck it up like a warm log of shit from andy sixxs asshole.

THIS. The whole world listens to (and copies) American music, and watches American movies and television programs, and uses the great American invention that is the Internet.

All you niggers are SLAVES to American culture.

America is full of different cultures and backgrounds because it is meant to be a big fuckin mixing pot of all races and ethnicities. Those that immigrate bring their cultures here and keep practicing those cultures because they have freedom. How do we lack culture? We have culture from all over the world all mixed into one country fuckwit.

Well my experience is my dad's dad was some kind of strict evangelical religious bullshit american that when he did something wrong or didn't listen to something the nuns would come and slap him or something. so my dad grew up in a strict radical christian environment and now i feels the shit from him and have to go to chruch every sunday. Total accumulated loss of hours so far from going to chruch and chruch related events is around upper nine hundreds. possibly a thousand and something given how long it's been. it's that time i'll never get back that i could be genuinely enjoying myself such as going to a rock concert, going to a anime con, going to runefest in london, etc. etc. the list goes on. I also lost about $1000 worth of merch from my dad throwing it away. (clothes, games, mangas, Anime DVDs, and other fucking awesome merch) I'm just glad we live in a time now vs. over a decade ago where everything is digital, HDD storage is dirt cheap and easily obtainable now my dad can't throw my shit away :P. but fuck i could have used those clothes i used to have now i wear shiddy shit every day.

>all these americunts defending their shitty country
Kek

>PhD not doing much for you
If anyone enters a PhD program with the expectation that the PhD is going to make them smart then there is indeed a problem.
>The most intelligent people I know
You are basically making the argument that because you know some farmers who are not hicks that there is a rich intellectual culture out in the fields of rural America. That is anecdotal, and that is a sampling bias. Sure, there is *a culture* in rural America. There is *a culture* just about everywhere. I disagree with your flowery description of it as one characterized as the pinnacle of American achievement.

You just can't comprehend what it takes to manage millions of dollars worth of realestate. Making money and being successful. Just get your PhD and tell yourself your smart for being in school for so long while others are out working and making money. See how far being smart gets you.
Your ignorant, and you cannot help it. Your experience is limited to getting a PhD. When you get out I. The real world your learn your place.

>millionaire farmers

If they're in the US they're existing off of government subsidies or corporate buyouts so I don't know what's so "smart" about that.

I think a lot of America's problems come down to a terrible education system and way over the top patriotism.
The fact that when anyone from outside their country even slightly points out some of the absurdities with their 'culture' leads to them flailing that anywhere other than their own country is 3rd world is a pretty solid indicator.

not quite nigga
you have no great classical composers at all and that to me is your loss. Classicla music will alwsy be a European invention as is the majority of your American world . But we don't hold grudges. I like 'murrica.

For the record this --> was someone different.

OP, it's true, everything, all of it. All kidding aside. The American indoctrination and propaganda machine (schools and media) are designed to make people fat, dumb and gullible. It's how the cattle are kept under control. It is done in such an extreme manner cause it's really fucked up and corrupt here. It is really like a sith took control of the senate and created an empire and is now trying to rule over all the other star systems. I think George Lucas was trying to warn us but the dark side is too powerful.

Internet was invented by a Brit at CERN, Proof: home.cern/topics/birth-web

but you'd rather be a proud ignoramus and claim that you were first to discover fire.

>You just can't comprehend what it takes to manage millions of dollars worth of realestate.

What the fuck is Donald trump Jr doing on Sup Forums? The election is over man go jerk your dad off and fuck your sister again

I recently moved from the U.S. (St. Cloud, Minnesota) to Kumya, North Korea. OP is right. USA lacks culture, has stupid citizens, food is awful and fresh food is nearly impossible to find.

Have you met a farmer? If not then you have nothing to disagree or agree with, rather you have nothing to discuss because you are ignorant on the matter.

>it's really fucked up and corrupt here

God why is everyone on Sup Forums ACTUALLY 12 years old. Go to a country where you get shot at in the streets, there's no clean water, your electricity constantly goes off, and you have to pay police off to keep driving on the roads and come back and tell everyone how "corrupt" the US is. fucking retard

the US can do better but to act like its a third world country is ridiculous

Fuck off Amerilard and actually lose weight for once

Again you don't know what your talking about. You are going off of articles you read in forbes you have no real experience or knowledge.

>a terrible education system

But somehow has more top rated universities than any other country in the world.

Go figure.

> they sing their national anthem at any given opportunity (like at a friggen prom)

Yeah I concluded that you're a faggot after reading that. It's untrue
>Fresh fruit and veg is rare or non existent. It is really hard to eat healthy because frozen food is so cheap and abundant.

Maybe get out of the fucking freezer section if you're looking for fresh food. Jesus I forgot how retarded foreigners were

>Music

Give me a break only retards listen to nicki minaj. If you want good music search youtube

Your wife is a social worker, this in non-applicable to you being "exposed to a diversity of the population", not to mention that it means even less if you're not in a rural area seeing them.

Your point is invalid, draw up some statistics of the people who come from rural areas to attend colleges and then factor them back in with the rural areas and you will find the numbers have a much less drastic margin between them.

Plebe.

so whats the best that happened to rap? DRE
youtube.com/watch?v=1H9Ar2-71Vc

I don't read forbes, but it is clear you do. I don't know if that's an insult or what

Also, I'm not particularly motivated to make a ton of money. If I was I would have gotten an MBA or some shit. MD-PhD is typically for people who want to impact healthcare through research and development. The hours and effort physicians spend trying to look at the world through their patients' eyes is admirable, I believe. That does not mean, however, that I agree with your assessment of rural America.
Arguably the only great thing about being ignorant is that it can, in fact, be helped.

>You can live your whole life in China but never be considered Chinese
>You can live your whole life in India but never considered Indian
>You can live your whole life in Russia and never be considered Russian

Only in América can you be considered a part of our country just for being patriotic and that's why I love America.

I'm 43, live in NY and have seen and experienced everything you just said. Where u from and how old are you?

No the world wide web was.

The first series of interconnected networks was ARPANET.