"If you have nothing to hide why does it matter?"

"If you have nothing to hide why does it matter?"
-In response to anti-NSA people

Can someone explain to me why this is a flawed thing to say?

It gets quoted by anti-NSA people to mock the complacency of the public, but they never explain why it's mock-worthy.

No matter how hard I try, I can't find a way to disprove this quote.

Certainly Sup Forums of all places knows why it's flawed, right?

Because having nothing to hide isn't the point. I'm sure you have nothing to hide under your clothes. But does the government have some right to see you naked just because they're the government and the contents of your pants are a matter of national security?

Because it's none of there fucking buisness that's why

*their

This.

/thread

They're* fucking dumbass

They're is a contraction for They are. Would you say it's none of they are business? Their is the correct spelling for the subject at hand........
>dumbass

#triggered

Man you sound like a huge faggot. How many dicks do you suck a day?

That makes sense I guess.
To play devil's advocate: Why shouldn't the government have the right to see the contents of your "pants".

(Not same user) without permission. It is an invasion to our privacy, and basic human right to privacy.

Because you as a citizen are protected under the 4th amendment. The government can't search your pants without reason.

Because the government is not over the people or an individual no matter how much we've been brainwashed into thinking so. Think of it like this: The government is a child, the parent is the people. The parents have the responsibility to occasionally check the contents of the child's pants for shit. The child doesn't check the parents pants for shit. That's how it's supposed to work.

This, and even if you trust the government to that degree, that information can always be leaked/hacked and sold to the highest bidder. Probably is already.

because you may think you have nothing to hide, but the legal system is so involved in everything in life, you may be committing a felony and not know it.
the average person commits felonies every year without knowledge of it.
if you have an all seeing government, they can just use this against you if they really wanna silence you.
the problem is too big of government expanding into area that are none of their business.

Theire're*

Yeah the government was supposed to be for the people by the people. That government should fear the people not the other way around. Man how far we have strayed from those ideals.

Finally someone is using the correct terminology.

You have nothing to hide *today*.

In 10 years, what you do today might be illegal or political capital against the current trends. Imagine if in 20 years you can be imprisoned for using the word "faggot", even as a joke between friends. The government at the time has historical access to all of your text messages and phone calls. Because of the political atmosphere, you are targeted by the government and imprisoned because they have evidence that you used the word "faggot" over a dozen times in various text messages over the years.

This isn't too far off from the truth of what happens after coups or when dictatorships take over. They use previously gathered "innocent" records to suppress dissidence and consolidate power.

Or for a more realistic scenario, imagine if in 5 years abortion is illegal and the punishment for an abortion is now the same as capital murder. The government, having recorded text messages, medical records, internet activity, and phone calls for the past 20 years, can now search and find evidence of everyone who has had an abortion. The crime is retroactive and there is no statute of limitation. They also have the ability to cross-reference anyone who is politically active with this list. Do I need to go further?

Theiy're
>dumbass

It's wrong because it operates on the premise that the government owns, co-owns or at least has unlimited license to every communication or piece of data within its jurisdiction, without exception. It's a complete abdication of any expectation of privacy. It would mark the end of legal encryption.

I have tons of shit to hide so fuck off.

Why have curtains?

"Hey bro mind if we do a full cavity search?"
"I don't want a hand up m ass"
"Look if you have nothing to hide you don't need to worry"
"I don't want a hand up my ass"

Because why do you have to prove you have nothing to hide? If you are an innocent person who is not under investigation for a crime or throwing up red flags, then why should you be subjected to a constant search?

I was about to post this.

> If you have nothing to hide why does it matter
Well other than the 14 petabytes of cp on my leapfrog tablet I don't have anything to hide. But this is flawed because even though I don't have anything to hide from YOU, my personal information can be stolen from YOU. So you may not be voluntarily giving out my info, but it can be stolen. Checkmate, atheists.