Why does it seem like female musicians are rarer than male musicians?

Why does it seem like female musicians are rarer than male musicians?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Sx7eqdkwxEw
rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=everything&year=alltime&genre_include=1&genres=&include=both&include_archival=t&include_live=t&origin_countries=japan&limit=country&countries=japan
soundcloud.com/tokimonsta
youtube.com/watch?v=CmG9OeoHMiA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because they are?

yeah but why are there less of them?

This, really, at least in popular styles of music

is that iggy pop

LOL

Cus they suck.

Total equality between genres is an illusion. Most women are afraid of doing more than just marrying some dude and taking care of his house and children.

be nice to kim

Better question. Why do women have shitty form when they play an instrument?

kek it cannot be unseen
high school band chicks are to lazy to multi instrument/only silly boys play guitar/bass/drums

Certain instruments are heavy. To hold them in the way a muscular dude might hold them might be straining on their back/legs/whatever so they hold it in a more comforting albeit unflattering way perhaps.

because they all play bass. nobody cares about the bass player

men are inherently more experimental, women are inherently more normative

Men probably take the initiative more while women seek more conventional roles.

Perhaps there is something on their chest that gets in the way.

Hey fuck you

youtube.com/watch?v=Sx7eqdkwxEw

I'm gonna get flamed for this but a big part of it is how hostile these environments can be for women. Any woman who puts herself out there is liable to receive hateful comments and sexual harrassment. And a lot of musical spaces, especially indie and hip-hop, and even jazz, are seen as very male spaces. Like why are there seemingly so many famous virtuoso female vocalists but comparatively few famous virtuoso female instrumentalists? It's not because men are worse at singing and better at instruments, or vice versa, it's most likely because the spaces where women would practice instruments or pursue these skills are hostile to them. As an instrumentalist, I've personally seen women get shamed for their choice in instrument, or skill, in a way I just haven't seen with men. You can read comments on this board, or youtube videos, or this very thread that shed a lot of light on why a lot of women might not be so eager to put themselves out there in these scenes.

Shut up, pussy. How many times have you been put into the friendzone?

Because they are

99% of virtually everything interesting is done by a man

You'd think women being the emotional sex they'd be the ones to be on the forefront of creative mediums but yeah

Literally not once but sick counterpoint dude

That's retarded and so are you

Anything remotely resembling discrimination in hipster dens is heavily shunned if not outright banned and when they accomplish anything worth noting they're showered with praise on the grounds that they're female.

If women get flamed it might just be because they're doing dumb shit. If you really want "equality" then be prepared to have people throw peanuts at you when you act like an insufferable twat.

Asia is full of 4'8" girls that can play violin and do all the dumb violin neckswinging and hotdogging.

It's like the whole "Girls can't/won't play guitar thing. Women are held at a lower level than males and the music industry is one of those things. It doesn't matter what a woman does, how great her musicianship and art is, what matters the most to some is her looks. It's the rampant sexisim and hatred that holds women back. A woman can even contribute to a great piece of art and it be held on a miniscule level, when a male can do the same thing and get so much more respect and have much more value.

Sounds sexist

Here's a fun fact, those nice guys that try and make safe spaces for women and combat blatant misogyny are assholes that make women feel unwelcome too, just in their own beta passive aggressive way.

Who is this?

because they're mostly stupid, shallow and untalented?

Bach was the master of counterpoint. He was a man, baby.

Sexist doesn't mean "Something negative about women"

If you're giving special treatment to women on the grounds that they're women then you're the one being sexist

Learning an instrument is a skill that you practice at, talent at an amateur level is a fucking meme that 4chins like you that haven't played an instrument since elementary school pass around to feel special.

Damn, sounds like you've had bad experiences with women, but with an mean generalization like that, you might have brought it on yourself.

not in japan, girls are in all sorts of bands, either singing, playing guitar/drums/bass/whatever
rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=everything&year=alltime&genre_include=1&genres=&include=both&include_archival=t&include_live=t&origin_countries=japan&limit=country&countries=japan

>If you're giving special treatment to women on the grounds that they're women then you're the one being sexist
No saying you should, but how is your post not sexist? You said that women are virtually incapable of being creative indicating that their sex is the reason

I kind of agree, but what if a woman makes something that garbage should she get her ass kissed because she's a woman?

meant to say not instead of no

Same amount of singers

Same amount of piano

But string instruments lower

>Why does it seem like female musicians are rarer than male musicians?
this is incorrect. women inspire men to make music
so all male musicians are female musicians

There are social boons for learning an instrument that men get that women don't. I mean, think about it. How much would you really care if a girl knew an instrument well? But how nuts do women go for guys who can strum a couple of chords?

As for the reason for that, dunno man. Probably evolutionary.

There's also the fact that most men are thing/tool-oriented rather than people-oriented, while most women are the other way around, and instruments are things/tools, so...

Mainly, I think it's a mistake to think the difference is entirely, or even mostly, cultural. It's biological.

Do you even have some evidence about people not giving a shit about female musicians?

Even my country, which is a shithole, female artist have the same level of respect as any male one.

my sister sounds the trumpet, she's really good

my and my brother never learned an instrument, too busy playing mario 64 as a kid, fug.

Cry me a river. The world in the 21st century is prejudiced against anyone and everybody and this is the most forward-thinking society that's ever existed. If "women not being accepted" into underground music scenes is supposed to be a problem the so is virtually everything else to enormously bigger magnitudes.

Actually accomplish something worth talking about and people will like and respect you. Otherwise if people making snarky comments is the delimiter that stops you from expressing yourself creatively then good riddance, you never cared about it anyway.

It she makes garbage then she should be open for ridicule and not give the "Sexisim and hatred" excuse.

Men dominate music and sports for some reason

I mean what kind of music are we talking about? In orchestras there are more women than men

>You said that women are virtually incapable of being creative indicating that their sex is the reason
No I didn't, I never implied their sex had inherently anything to do with it

I just said it's extremely disproportionate

that's interesting I never knew that

Sup Forums only knows about pop music

>Why are there fewer female musicians?

im in college for music. its 80% women in my class. heck my professor is female
anyway this is another bait thread made by some bored autist.

That's every college, take a bigger look at your field buddy.

notice how there are no great female rock guitarists?

it's proof that women are shallow attention seekers, because sitting in their room for 10 years practicing guitar is too much for them to do something without being validated and getting attention for. there is not one female guitarist in probably the top 200-300 best rock guitarists

I never said that people don't give a shit, just held a lower level at times.

Just because some women don't care about strumming a guitar doesn't mean they "don't get it".

That being said, most of the time an average female singer gets more praise than an average male vocalist, so it's all about which way do you want to look at it.

>take a bigger look at your field buddy.
pop is mostly female. so what field am i missing?

>implying

kek what kind of list is that

>1 female out of 20
sounds about right and look its the lady who killed kurt cobain.

I mean if trips say pop singing is a good representation of the music field then who the fuck am i to argue

If that's suppose to be an issue then virtually everything else is an issue to and should be bitched about in enormously greater magnitutes. That's the equivalent of complaining about "mansplaining" when there's a billion people on the planet that believe women should be stoned for adultery.

No one fucking cares if you're a woman. I can't overstate just how much people don't care. It pisses me off that this is even a conversation in the year 2017

Kek seriously. Gender roles and occupational distributions change by the decade and line of latitude. Women being underrepresented is not biological, it's sociological. All you people who want to blame nature and not discrimination for this must surely want to fuck 12-14 year old boys. I mean, if it was masculine in ancient Greece, why wouldn't it be today?

I don't even know if this is true. Like, can anyone find a single statistic that there are more men who play musical instruments and write songs than women? Because I can't. Male artists just have greater visibility. Men are more likely to become successful in the industry because misogyny. That's the obvious but true answer that a lot of pussies/losers on this board who feel threatened by talented women love to deny.

Iq distribution.

women have a much smaller one.

there are more idiots that are men but also more geniuses.

also women don't seem to have the same obsessive drive as men. there are exceptions but when was the last time you heard of a woman not leaving her house for a week because she was producing music 8 hours a day?

If anyone gave enough of a fuck about the shallow pussyass challenges you have to face every day, and someone said that to you, you'd probably still get upset.

>I mean if trips say pop singing is a good representation of the music field then who the fuck am i to argue
when topics like this happen frankly it is. OP is asking why are female musicians rarer which translate into = bands that get talked about in publications/blogs/tv

its crazy but maybe most girls just don't like being musicians. just like the majority of guys don't like being hairdresser or makeup artist. we could argue but society's programming but that's a topic that goes beyond Sup Forums.

anyway yes there is sexism and all that jazz in the industry but again topics like that on Sup Forums don't help defeat it

>all this teenage cuckery based on an ideology

sad. it's not going to get you laid

>there are exceptions but when was the last time you heard of a woman not leaving her house for a week because she was producing music 8 hours a day?

this. 99.99999% of women need constant attention and validation which is the obvious reason why all the great musicians are male. the only """""""great"""""" female musicians are all singers. something they can practice and do in the presence of other people.

the one voice of reason in this thread, thank you

It's just an opinion, I don't sit and think "i'm going to do or say this because it might get me laid".

It's definitely a convenient answer I don't know if it's true or not. What about independent artists? I know of far more male Bandcamps than I do female Bandcamps

okay. link me 3 soundclouds or bandcamps of great female producers right now then

then you're thinking wrong. Think from the dick, not from the mind, not from the heart. Feel with your dick. Reason with your dick. There's a reason why 90% of all your nerves are at the tip of your penis. It's the second brain

>it's a let excuse women because the problem actually lies with men episode
>women were totally as talented and driven to be great musicians all along but men stopped them

how bluepilled are you beta faggot?

It's an opinion that flies in the face of a mountain of genuine research. making you either ignorant due to subscribing so heavily to a far left ideology or an idiot.

not him but this is good
soundcloud.com/tokimonsta

>you think in a different way than I do
>idiot

If women want genuine feminism, it comes with responsibility. Which means you should be able to criticize them as much as you would a man.

I make music. I've had people telling me I'm not supposed to engage in or enjoy activities because I'm a "white boy" for the past decade and I've been having the same conversation ever since and standing up for other people ever since.

It's stupidly obnoxious and comes from pretentious psuedo-adults that act like they're above people when in reality they're just too stupid to understand art and how it appeals to people and if it were happening to any other creed or race people would write a fucking novel about what I've went through.

This guy is 100% on the money but with a weird tone of condescension that suggests that this is somehow a bad thing.

Woman are more socially oriented than men; they're just so much less likely to want to hide away from society with a bunch of inanimate objects to the extent that it takes to become a great musician.

Yeah sure, the music industry can be a shitty place for women in some places, I'll accept that. But that's not a full account. I'll bet if you look at Scandinavian societies, where gender equality has been effectively achieved, the numbers will be the same if not more. Because it's not social, it's biological. It doesn't mean that they're "inferior" or whatever stupid pol/fags claim, they're just biologically different and more drawn to other fields.

I could have an opinion that the sun was blue. That would make me an idiot.

nah tokimonsta is shit

should have used this little lady youtube.com/watch?v=CmG9OeoHMiA

But that's a fucking stupid one that's beyond reason.

>posting someone that's obviously ghost produced

show me a genuine female bedroom producer that has no men involved

Grimes

here u go

its not fun playing music when getting constantly harrased

so is the idea that men and women's aspirations are entirely level and that it's society that holds women back

shitty female artists are constantly being pushed in our faces. which is made even more ironic by the fact that if they were men nobody would look twice at them

bedroom musicians don't get harassed

>pic of based prof peterson
My nigga

Laurel Halo

Basically a girl that's just a boy

This is literally the opposite of true. The reason more men promote their stuff and are more visible in the music industry is because it's men who are attention whores, not women. More female musicians are perfectly happy not putting their stuff out there. As a result, it never gets heard and we end up with millions of Sup Forums theads of autist virgins saying "why cant women produce music LMAO!!"

you're a bluepilled retard

Dude maybe you think that every man and woman is responsible for their own destiny and can do anything and has 100% full agency, but the truth is that people are largely just products of their environment and upbringing.

And shitty male artists are constantly pushed in our faces too so...

I know her and like her. she is the exception I was referring to.

it's not like I'm trying to prove there are no good female artists. but that obsessive drive is entirely different in men and women. Women will be more inclined to do whatever gets the most social cred because they are more social than men. Where as men will be obsessed with creating the best piece of art they can possibly achieve.

shes also a big sjw from the looks of things

Yeah you'd think that wouldn't be a profound concept

If someone's going to argue with this they better be ready to present their Nobel Prize worthy paper deconstructing fundamental biological inclinations

people are largely products of their genetics actually. environment plays into how those genetics express.

If you are of the idea that women want to be nurses and men want to run businesses because of sociological reasons you are simply wrong.

As always there are exceptions. but exceptions aren't the rule.

genuinely sad to see so many young minds indoctrinated into cultural marxism