Has there ever been a film with a more stupid, pseudo """""""""deep""""""""" ending in film history?

Has there ever been a film with a more stupid, pseudo """""""""deep""""""""" ending in film history?

Interstellar

No Country For Old Men

There really wasn't anything deep about it. I'm sorry it triggered your insecurities though

Translation:

>"I'm a fucking pleb that has to be spoon fed every piece of information. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen is my favorite movie ever."

That's exactly my point. It feels like refn thinks he's making some big statement when in reality it's just some model eating a thrown up eyeball.

The Dark Knight
Inception
The Usual Suspects
Fight Club
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Any Kubrick film, really

transformers is the true kino though

Translation:

>I would suck NWR's dick in a hot minute because I worship celebrities that align with my interests and tastes

Everything by Nolan, Aronofsky and Kaufman

It wasn't trying to be deep.

It was how Refn felt when he came to Hollywood and got praised after Drive and felt that he did nothing and got everything.

Explain why the models ate Elle and one of them killed themselves after throwing up an eyeball. What function did any of that serve at all if not to convey some deep message, and if it wasn't trying to do that why the fuck is that the entire culmination of the film.

DUDE HOLLYWOOD AND THE FASHION INDUSTRY CHEWS UP AND SPITS OUT THE IDEALISTIC YOUTH LMAO

>he unironically plotfags
>on Sup Forums

That's what I thought, it is trying to be a deep metaphor, and it's an awful one which substitutes any kind of real character depth for the easy way out of trying to be as shocking as possible.

Release a torrent already, I can only maintain an erection for so long.

Sometimes possessed people behave irrationally.

I have a question

Who is this neon demon?

your an retard. revenge of the fallen is beter then this movie

>one which substitutes any kind of real character depth for the easy way out of trying to be as shocking as possible.

The raping of the 13 year old and the lesbian sex with a corpse were far worse for this. At least the eating thing was mostly along with the message of the rest of the film.

It's not deep, you fucking retard. It's just fucking beautiful.

Yes, several

A Serious Man was the last truly great deep film

Why do you make excuses for Refn's poor writing?

They ate jesse in the same way tribes will eat their fallen enemies to absorb their strength, Gigi couldn't handle the power. Not that difficult.

Making the previously alluded to metaphors explicit in such a visceral manner was a pretty great twist that served the ideas behind the movie really well.

Subtle enough that I'm not sure whether this is a troll or not tßh

>A Serious Man
>great or deep

I didn't want Jesse to die either, user ;_;
But she obviously went to Heaven because she was pure or something...

go fuck yourself

I knew actually attempting to discuss anything here was pissing into the wind.

I would have seen this movie by now (in a theater) if it wasn't too hot to walk to a bus stop.

Couldn't of picked a worse film to sneak a kebab into, the cinematography was good though

You should've used a relative clause instead of an attributive partuciple.

How is it doing anything other than trying to be as gross as possible to get the reaction it did at Cannes and by extension free publicity. It's totally devoid of any subtlety and the characters are so devoid of any depth that it's hard to take any of it seriously. Why am I supposed to care that 3 terminator models who would never exist irl eat somebody.

>any movie you think of
>great or deep

*participle

Why do you need to care about characters? It's not what this film and many more like it are about.

He was discussing how two people eating somebody is a great metaphor. I'm saying I don't think it is because the pieces that make up the metaphor are totally unbelievable. As I said it feels like the film is beating you over the head with its message with an EPIC SHOCK rather than trying to have any kind of satisfying conclusion.

>Why am I supposed to care that 3 terminator models who would never exist irl eat somebody.

He's not saying that not caring about the characters is the problem, he doesn't care about their actions which is a far bigger problem. If there's no characters worth mentioning and the plot itself is ultimately empty and devoid of intrigue what's left? Pretty images and well trodden symbolism?

>it's a thread on a movie has decent discussion when it's only out in theatres before the kiddies can all download the torrent and meme it to death episode

Every time.

A Serious Man was a bad film though.

ITT: People deliberately misunderstanding a movie that plays it straight from start to finish

I'm not sure how you can watch the movie and think it's about character depth. It was very obviously playing with archetypes, and the way the first two thirds of the movie are set up you are expecting a descent into darkness and loss of innocence from Jessie and for her to become "evil" because of her environment. Although that happened to a slight extent, the movie pulls the rug out from under you and instead of having the innocent angel chewed up and spit out by her environment or having been evil all along its revealed that there are literally essence sucking demons preying on divine beauty in Los Angeles. It lays the contrast between innocent beauty and lustful ugliness bare in the most extreme way imaginable. And this is leaving aside all of the demonic underbelly of Hollywood in real life stuff.

t. cinematically illiterate retard

It didn't play anything straight though, the twist genuinely catches you off guard if you're paying attention.

So the conclusion of this film is a metaphor being presented literally? Seems like the culmination of Refn's adventures in symbolism tbqh

>neon demon
>semen demon

More like a metaphor pushed to its limit that paradoxically manages to fly closer to the truth than most films that strive for realism.

What's left? Plenty of great stuff really. There were great moment's that were magical. There are flaws but I enjoyed the experience regardless. The experience of each scene is I think more important here.

It isn't about character depth. It's about the metaphor you're explaining having exactly zero impact because the "evil environment" doesn't feel organic, it felt totally out of line with the tone of the first 2/3 of the film which while depraved, at least felt within the realms of possibility. When you set up that kind of mostly realistic tone and then kill it by having murder and cannibalism be the closer it leaves you wondering what the fuck happened.

How does it fly closer to the truth?

The movie is a fairy tale from the first frame, in no way was it attempting to be realistic. If you weren't getting Alice in Wonderland vibes from the movie I think you maybe need to watch it again.

She literally says "I ate her"

Film doesn't need to pander to what is realistic. This one didn't even set out like that.

Yes, that is after the twist.

I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. It seemed kinda incoherent and rushed and petered out towards the end. I much prefered OGF.
I would have liked more of the big synth neon modeling scenes, the music was underutilised imo.

I don't know why but I have no urge to see this whatsoever... I don't know, I've liked Refn's previous work but just can't find it in me to watch this. Maybe it's something about the starring actress.

Whether in a realistic world or not, there have to be elements in a story to empathise with or there is no engagement with an audience. Literally everything that happens to Jessie up until the murder is completely conceivable in real life. The emotional conflict between using others around her for her gain and being used by and scared of those in positions of power over her all felt very grounded in reality and had an impact because it was possible to empathise with.

All of the empathy I felt towards her plight throughout the entire picture died as soon as the stuff at the end happened and I totally stopped caring about it's message because it totally killed my suspension of disbelief for its 'fairy tale' environment.

There is foreshadowing though. When the models first meet Jessie they as her if she is food or sex, and there's the bathroom scene where the model freaks out and starts licking Jessie's blood.

The movie is an update of old Giallo style Italian horror. I don't think Jessie's death is just a metaphor for the fashion industry, I think the models are literally vampires/witches doing fucked up Eliasbeth Bathory shit to stay young.

The way divine beauty is predisposed to bring out the worst instead of the best in the vast majority of people in a culture probably cultivated and perpetuated by demonic creatures for whom amassing power is the only thing.

Again, you seem to fail to grasp the concept that the movie is using extremely familiar tropes to build up the twist. You have the divine innocent princess, the evil stepsisters, the big bad wolf, the prince charming, and the witch among other all telling what is essentially a fairy tale which lulls you into a false sense of security only to have it violently ripped away.

Who's the big bad wolf? Is it the cougar?

The Witch

Foreshadowing maybe, but having the protagonist whose journey has been the focus of the entire film killed in such a quick manner at the climax and then consumed is definitely an unpredictable moment. I don't disagree that they were meant to be literal demonic entities to varying degrees.

I thought Keanu that was the Big Bad Wolf.

>telling what is essentially a fairy tale
>only to have it violently ripped away.

Explain what you mean by this

>which lulls you into a false sense of security

Not sure I understand this either, it feels like she's in danger the whole way through

The twist is that Jesse gets possessed and the others realize that she might be their undoing which they actually brought upon themselves.

that's a cute dog. She also seems to like the other girl a lot.

There is nothing deep about it. It's not even subtle.

Pretty much.

Hence why I called it pseudo deep you dullard, the tone of the film is grandiose when its message isn't

yeah man Refn likes to shock, I still found it wildly entertaining and it's still left me thinking about it days later.

I love the part where Jesse's boyfriends starts arguing with the designer that beauty on the inside is what matters and he says "would you have even looked at her if she wasn't beautiful?" Savage.

>a good thread
>on Sup Forums

Am I dreaming lads?

>it's "a millenial who hasn't read a book since high school having opinions about what constitutes artistic depth" episode

fuck off

I thought that the ending was meant to violently contrast with the tone of the movie up until that point. We think we are watching an innocent girl metaphorically lose her soul to a hedonistic industry and society but really we are just watching her die and get eaten for real. The way the movie was set up was as an allegorical story where a girl is consumed by evil but then it makes it literal in a manner that highlights the visceral nature that beauty often elicits in us. She may have been in danger the whole way through but the danger felt familiar until the ending comes in and blindsides you.

Interesting thought but I thought that the whole thing was that Jessie possessed a divine, true beauty and innocence that although caused her to become narcissistic and cruel was nothing compared to the evil around her.

>movies must be a dry copy of reality

Well she's probably at least vaguely hypersexual and has casual encounters with her. But she's holding his hand.

Well I don't feel like there was a change in tone, that stayed the same, rather a huge escalation in how far the characters were willing to go. I guess for you this managed to be shocking, but for me it felt like a massive contradiction in the rules that Refn had set up for his world and it totally removed me from the experience. I can see where you're coming from now though.

See above, I'm not saying that it has to be like our reality, but like it's own. It contradicted the rules of its own universe to such a jarring degree that I was taken out of the experience is all.

The question is: Why did it cause her to become a narcissistic cunt so suddenly?
Have you noticed that the Sarah character was wearing an inverted triangle pendant in the scene when she was introduced?
Jesse sees the inverted neon double-triangle in a vision when she passes out and later, during the runway show when she seemingly falls in love with herself, kissing her mirror image. I doubt this was actually part of the "show", which made me guess that the show was actually some sort of transitional ritual.
Ruby and the models had been in league with or possessed by a literal "Neon Demon" the whole time. It wasn't until Ruby realised that Jesse would let no one touch her, apart from herself (cue: Jesse touching herself during the necrophilia sequence), that they came to the conclusion that Jesse could actually be a danger for all of them.

It's a teenage horror flick after all.

I thought of a more concise way of putting it: it starts out as a take on the American fairy tale of fame or the Disney princess take on beauty and then reveals itself to be a dark Brothers Grimm tale where evil exists and will fucking kill and eat you in a heartbeat. I also think that looking for a realistic consistency in a movie as abstract and symbolic as this one might not be the best way to approach it.

I can't dig into this as much as I would like to currently but I think despite what has been said in interviews that Jessie doesn't go through much of a transformation at all. The innocence and purity still shown through after the catwalk scene, she was a bit more of a bitch to people but was still in her own separate world of divinity that wasn't completely obsessed with power, control, or indulging her desires. The separation was still there and it was after she wouldn't embrace the demonic lifestyle, give herself up so easily, and also gained a modicum of self awareness that they decided to kill her.

agree, Coens suck at endings

Hell yeah i would. Hell i'd even suck his wifes femanine dick if he wanted me to.

You don't know what he's thinking at all. The only person who thinks there's some kind of inherent "statement" is you. The movie was a parody of the narcissism of teenage beauty, which is pretty clear if you aren't an idiot. The film itself is an act of narcissism. Every detail shows that. That's what's great about it.

>The only person who thinks there's some kind of inherent "statement" is you.

>The movie was a parody of the narcissism of teenage beauty

Can you not see how these 2 statememts are contradictory lol

Nolan and Refn are hacks, pure and simple.

good points all around, actually.

Fucking tribal cannibalism you idiot. You gain your enemies' strength by eating them.
>girl eats beautiful girl
>famous photo artist wants her to pose for his shoot after she ate her, meaning she "really" got her beauty by consuming her
>other girl throws up fucking raw human meat because it fucks with your digestion
>girl eats the eyeball to become even more beautiful

Not hard.

Couldn't she cook the meat, even cannibals should have standards.

That would be the rational thing to do, yes. But what made you think they were being rational?

She was always a narcisstic cunt. That's the point. She seems innocent but you really don't know anything about her character, it's always other people discussing her. When she shows her true colors you realize that she wasn't better than anyone around her, she got lucky with her looks and she knew how to play her cards right.

The audience is meant to share the viewpoint of the amateur guy, believing her to be innocent and different just because she is beautiful. The designer guy even says that in the diner scene.

>hey Gigi, would you look up some spices that go with human meat? I don't want to fuck this up desu

No.

>[retch]

This, Gigi was "fake beauty", made so by carving and stuffing herself, as Jesse said.

Sarah didn't care and ate the eyeball to show that these models don't care about each other, only their own beauty.

I think she was killed so quickly was to covey how quickly a model can be used, chewed up and spat out by an ever changing industry that only respects the latest "it" girl.

I disagree, I think she was definitely supposed to be better than those around her. Her precise lack of cuntiness and abundance of light and innocence were what attracted everyone to her and separated her from the rest of the relatively soulless beauty around her.

I think Gigi couldn't handle pure beauty, because she faked hers.