Is there a single historical superpower who attained their status through non-evil means?

Is there a single historical superpower who attained their status through non-evil means?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cherry_Blossoms_at_Night
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthyphro_dilemma
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Applying modern definitions of evil on historical events.
Apply yourself

of course

Sweden.

>modern

There was never a time when the annihilation and disfigurement of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians (including children) was not considered 'evil'

You have to go back

>implying
What is near all of history? That's what conquerors did back in the day.

just move back to sweden gai görän and realize karma striked back hard.

Applying morality in an historical analysis is a very good way to be not taken seriously.

That's the whole point, every conqueror or superpower got their power through evil means. Just because they won doesn't make it non-evil.

The United States obtained superpower status without inflicting a single casualty on anyone that didn't deserve it.

>in 1945 the word evil didn't mean "profoundly immoral and wicked"

America did nothing wrong

>Applying morality in an historical analysis is a very good way to be not taken seriously.

Why?

Outwardly stating your belief in moral subjectivity is a good way to be considered an edgy autist.

Japan had already decided to surrender, but the United States massacred non-combatants using nuclear weapons.
Before the use of nuclear weapons, the United States has been continuing massacre of civilians by using slaughter bombs only as a strategic bombing.
There is no sin in nuclear weapons, but Americans are guilty.

The wicked thing is not to keep intelligence enough to reflect on, it is an American.

He's not being morally subjective. He's saying that history is morally subjective, and he's correct.

And yet you hadn't declared your surrender. You can't just be like, "YEAH WE WERE GONNA SURRENDER BUT DIDN'T FEEL LIKE TELLING ANYONE" and then get mad when everyone acts as though you haven't surrendered.

Those nukes were insignificant compared to what you sick fucks did to civilians and POWs

As an addendum, you cunts were still planning on unleashing weapons of mass destruction on us right up until the end of the war. Seriously, fuck Japan. Two bombs were not enough.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cherry_Blossoms_at_Night

Who cares about innocent people, Takamura?

Evil is a subjective idea.

Everything and nothing is evil depending on how you look at it. How can you possibly claim a historical event was evil or not?

War always has tragedy, on both sides. But unfortunately that's just how life is.

>Japan lecturing people on massacres

What a time to be alive

Does that mean so long as something occurred in the past rather than the present you can't view it from a moral perspective?

I didn't realize there was a wait time until evil deeds became evil.

I hate Australians less now

America deserves to be carpeted with firebombs.
You are fucking scum worthy of being burned down to ashes.

Nevermind, I still hate Australians

why do you hate us so much

Morals are subjective though.

Depending on how you view things every single tribe of people ever could be considered evil.

Is human nature evil? Is NATURE ITSELF *evil*?

If it were any other country who achieved what the US did in the same manner I would applaud them, but the US is such a fucking cancer on the world that I can't help but still hate them

morality is suppose to be applicable everywhere no matter how where when or how

other wise it's pointless

I think you'll find that everyone is a "sinner" then.

We first need to define and quantify what evil actually is and give it a proper definition.

We probably bombed his great grandpa in Japan

Nature is a spook

No

>island chinks already devastated by war
>yo dude lets nuke them
>TWICE

>tfw most of america truly believes rape is worse tha murder, even though many rape victims go on to have happy lives despite past trauma
>tfw i have no face
This is the media's fault.

ITT: Spooks

good post

no we don't we define responsibility not evil itself

holy shit

Wat

Without Religion it's impossible to define evil. All you have is manmade rules which mean nothing.

Invading Japan would have cost countless american lives due to Japan's sense of honor and the policy of never surrendering. We decided that wasn't the way to approach this and just decided to erase a city or two off of the map to make Japan get the memo

evil is pretty trivial

ability to reason evil is more reasonable

Lets be honest though, was the second one really necessary?

Superpower by definition is a post-WWII phenomenon of great powers that are so beyond all others that they exist in a class all their own

The USA, the British Empire and the USSR were the three initial superpowers in the immediate aftermath of WWII with the British Empire quickly being removed from that category after it declined rapidly with India becoming independent in 1948 and the remainder of the empire following shortly after

With the collapse of the USSR in 1991 the USA became the only remaining superpower

Also of the mid 2010s it was increasingly common to either consider China a superpower or to consider the term superpower to be dated and referring to a bygone era when the world was divided between a limited number of countries, whereas the multipolar model of regional and global powers is increasingly favored with countries like the USA, China, the UK, France, Russia and others having pull over the largest regions of the world and other more regional powers like Iran and Nigeria being important specifically on their continent or in their region.

Sweden was never a superpower and it was only briefly a great power like the Netherlands. Sweden will never be a superpower or a global power because Sweden is determined to erase itself as a coherent entity.

>Invading Japan would have cost countless american lives due to Japan's sense of honor and the policy of never surrendering

The thing is people don't care how many more lives would've been lost really. They still think nukes were the worst event in the history of man

We scared the shit out of both the Japanese and Soviets. It most likely kept the Soviets out of Japan so yeah, definitely worth it.

>japs refuse to surrender after a million japs get wiped out in an instant

So we wiped out another million. It's like with the Muslims they were being too dumb and we weren't fucking around. Too bad in the post-war era America turned gay.

they didn't surrender after the first one, so yeah. We threatened to bomb Tokyo next but after Nagasaki Japan decided two was enough

Most of the people who whine about that shit are either malnourished sickly looking liberals, jews or "asians" who are pretty much never actual japanese people but are instead shit like filipinos claiming to speak for all japanese people because they're both asian (in america)

Amusingly in high school I remember there was this one white girl behind me who got super asshurt about the sections on japanese warcrimes because she was 1/4 japanese.

Reason comes from God

Checkmate atheists

Tbh Nukes are the best invention mankind has ever made. We as a species have never experienced a more peaceful time than we do today

You cannot view it from a modern moral perspective. You must work within the moral standards of the time. For example, if someone like Hitler arose today, his blatant antisemitism would be shocking news, people all across the West would be appalled and would label him evil. But in Hitler's time, antisemitism was common and socially acceptable

How would you feel if the Japanese had nuked us instead to avoid the death toll from invading California.

In order for the destruction of Nagasaki and Hiroshima to be a moral choice you would have to want to live in a world where everyone took that approach.

Even Japanese Americans with US citizenship sent themselves to the concentration camps as enemy in the mainland of the United States.
America affirmed the massacres with the spirit of racial discrimination.

Again, due to racial discrimination, the United States continues to attack the Arab world.

>Muh American lives myth

Japan was done, it was falling apart, their empire was over.

You wanted to show the Russians pushing on the Kurils your new fancy bomb.

Yes, the USA

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthyphro_dilemma

checkmate

>Japan was done
Even if we accept that was true, a dying animal can still savage you before it drops dead.

>United States continues to attack the Arab world.

The sooner islam is stamped out from our great planet the better.

How would I feel?
Good thing i'm not Japanese.
Invading the coast would have costed more lives for both sides anyways, it's just seen as an awful thing because the technologically superior side got away with less casualties.

>bomb once
>threaten to bomb tokyo after the first
>avoid needing a second one
????

John Curtin?
Luv your hat m8

You have to understand the level of nationalism that existed in Japan. Every single citizen was willing to fight to the bitter end. Hirohito was considered a god to them and people literally stabbed themselves in the stomach with a katana if they felt that their loyalty to the emperor was tarnished

They wouldn't have listened

>a dying animal can still savage you before it drops dead
/thread
A third nuke would've been optimal.

>Without Religion it's impossible to define evil

>muh secular humanism
Fuck off you millennials SJW.

Humanism is a spook too.

I've seen this gif dozens of times and I love it a little bit more each time I see it.

What's wrong with me?

>Without Religion it's impossible to define evil.

The idea is pretty but it is, actually wrong.
There has been wars and conflicts in many countries in the last 70 years
and times of peace exceeding decades and even centuries have existed in many countries, regions, kingdoms through history of mankind

The relative peace that existed in the western world since WW2 is not a first in the world, won't last forever and is at least equally related to political efforts started before nukes were inventented such as the League of Nations or, today, the UN.

It's true tho

It's just manmade ideas without religion. And everything manmade is a falsehood

The ego is a spook
Every fiction created in a language to designated something is a spook

Religion is manmade.
It reflects ideas and rules set and made by humans, with the excuse of having a divine entity impose set rules. Which strikes fear/respect in the populace and makes it more likely to follow.

back in the day, religion was much more successful in keeping people in check, but today with law enforcement agencies, and just a more productive society, religion isn't necessary for a functioning society.

The UN (man) has set the rules for war, and what it perceives to be evil or not.

Morality, ethics, religion, etc. Those are all man made.

I think it is necessary. Without something greater than oneself to live for humans become nihilistic and depressed. With God you have a reason to live for something.

>UN set rules
And what does UN do if you break rules? It's just a bunch of men who are out of shape in suits sitting in Switzerland or wherever they meet. They can impose sanctions I guess, but that's useless if you're a powerful country.

Might makes right is the law unfortunately (or maybe fortunately)

>what does the un do

They make strongly worded letters and press conferences. They may even express deeb goncern

>And what does UN do if you break rules?
And what does god do?
lel.

>Without something greater than oneself to live for humans become nihilistic and depressed. With God you have a reason to live for something.
Speak for yourself man. People have plenty of reasons to live. Family, friends, careers, etc.

I'm a physics major, and really interested in science. I hope to do my part and help Humanity move forward. I have a family, and plenty of reasons to live. I'm not depressed, I feel like my life is moving in the right direction.

God is only an emotional support that people use to feel better in hard times. I don't do god, I surround myself with people that I can depend and love.

God doesn't exist. It's just wishful thinking that we aren't alone, and always have a father figure looking after us. We don't.

USA greatezd ally :DDDD

Korea & Iraq.

Why did we do that?

You're asking for impossible

Actually what about China? They're on their way there without any kind of war