Just watched that minimalist documentary on Netflix

Just watched that minimalist documentary on Netflix.

Holy shit that whole thing is like the definition of cultural appropriation.

> Let's whitesplain Buddhism to everyone!

It's also pretty sexist which is just weird. I also loved that almost all the "too much shopping" clips were people of color.

> Maybe we should talk about how if you're a poor minority, opportunities like Black Friday might be the only chance to put gifts under the tree.

The movie had a ton of privilege woven into it.

I wish they would've talked more about the cause of this "empty feeling" people talked about, instead of focusing on one symptom: consumerism.

Other urls found in this thread:

apihtawikosisan.com/hall-of-shame/an-open-letter-to-non-natives-in-headdresses/
shacknews.com/chatty?id=35881759
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ssshhhh be quiet. you'll wake the baby.

Opinion: Minimalism is in vogue with the middle and upper class because the poor can now conspicuously consume and make ostentatious displays of wealth (or shitty financial decisions)

i said SSSHHHHHHHHut the fuck up.

interesting. suddenly having it all becomes tacky.

Their entire pitch is basically a white guy version of the second noble truth.

You can steal culture. You can steal cultural artifacts, songs, food, cultural understandings, and other things. Those are all cultures.

As white people and members of the dominant society that's attempting to globalize, it's tough to even see culture.

There's a difference between cultural and religion so that's a thing.

Also you're talking about diluting culture, which is a different phenomenon entirely and not my point.

If someone who isn't Hindu walks around with a bindi because they think it's cool, that's cultural appropriation. That's stealing a cultural thing that isn't yours and misusing it.

It is tacky, It doesn't make you happy either as things like comfort are dependent on your situation.

I don't understand why they needed Buddhism though. There is plenty of Christian and ancient western thought that eschew ostentatious displays of wealth and love of possessions and promote hardship, simple living and overcoming as the better option.

I'd argue that part of the West's almost cringe worthy search for meaning in Eastern religion and philosophy is result of a loss of confidence in it's own identity.

I am fine with that, but I think it's important to give credit where to due and these guys failed on that hard.

I haven't watched the documentary but I could never be one of those people. I have hobbies. I enjoy cooking, I enjoy working on things like my car etc.

WTF do these people do if they only own what can fit in a backpack and have a house the size of a closet? Their meals must be super simple and shitty because you can't cook anything fancy in a closet.

I don't consider myself materialistic. But there is no way I could do that shit.

2/10

copypasta potential

So when is Beyonce going to stop dying her hair blonde?

If white people with dreads is appropriation when black people with blonde hair is appropriation.

Oh wait, SJWs only care about attacking white people, I get it now.

The problem is when people take bits and pieces, especially when they can take things without suffering the negative consequences. A lot of stuff comes out of a ton of history and sometimes suffering, so it's not cool to swoop in as a rich person and take something while ignoring the context.

It's not an issue if folks from the culture are cool with it. Some things are ok to partake in! Like say Pendalton blankets. The native Americans are ok with sharing those designs and etc. On the flip side, wearing a headdress or a raven mask would be really offensive.

It's like wearing a cross versus wearing the pope's hat.

That's not what this thread is about at all. If anttjing, the upper class is trying to adopt these traditions to better fit in with the minimalists of other cultures which have nothing else.

Good points, though.

As white people and members of the dominant society that's attempting to globalize, it's tough to even see culture.

I like it because it limits the amount of money I spend onthings I dont need. I get to fpcus more on the things I care about than all the clutter.

>It's like wearing a cross versus wearing the pope's hat.
Why would anyone but a Christian wear a cross at all?

Sorry no, you cannot "steal" culture.
Cultural appropriation is always a good thing because it is a vehicle for social evolution.
Kindly go and never speak of this again.

t. academic at work subverting this SJW bullshit.

oh man I totally want a pope hat to wear around now

>on top of my yarmulke

It was an example to facilitate discourse.

You can steal culture. You can steal cultural artifacts, songs, food, cultural understandings, and other things. Those are all cultures.

There's a difference between cultural and religion so that's a thing.

Also you're talking about diluting culture, which is a different phenomenon entirely and not my point.

If someone who isn't Hindu walks around with a bindi because they think it's cool, that's cultural appropriation. That's stealing a cultural thing that isn't yours and misusing it.

Boo fucking hoo.
If I see something that's cool, and want to wear it, and someone gets pissed off over it, they can suck my nuts.

Fucking crybabys

aw fuck it

not an accurate one

>wearing an animal mask of any given special snowflake design is somehow ever wrong

>entire history of the human race filled with every culture doing exactly that and shamelessly copying others

I see nothing wrong causing this sort of "offence" whatsoever.

Repeat after me:
There is no such thing as stealing culture.

Get it yet?

You are making the claim, but offer no evidence at all to support it, other than fee fees.

I shall "steal", co-opt, pervert, copy, remix, reshare, and sell whatever "cultural" anything which I want, thanks.

Also
>"native" anybodies not wanting anyone to copy things from their culture
a few hundred years later...
>whaaaa why is our culture dying aaaabblablabla

I just didn't like a couple of rich white dudes in a documentary repackaging ideas that weren't theirs and making a book and movie out of it.

I'm religiously traditional(native american) but I still wear crosses. So do lots of other natives I know. We just see it as a symbol of 'good' if that makes sense. Besides a 5 dollar cross is a way better price then the ridiculous prices of native themed jewelry.

I'm not saying that culture can't be mixed or criticized, like ideas. I just think culture, like religious beliefs, should be respected. I may not agree with it, but I'm an asshole if I disrespect it. Just like I'm an asshole if I don't respect the knowledge my research is based on, or respect the scientific method, even if I want to criticize or mix things up.

I remember I received a really cool crucifix from a family friend and never thought anything of it for a few years.

Now I wear it cause I like how it looks on me.

And guess what? Catholics get fucking pissed when I wear it cause I'm an athiest.

You know what happens when they get angry? Nothing, I don't take it off.

You are joking right? Why the fuck would you wear a crucifix if you aren't christian?

You think it's crazy to use the symbols and iconography of a culture in a way that culture might find offensive? I think a lot of what American culture does to native Americans is pretty weird. I was in store buying jeans the other day and the store was selling a t shirt with a naked white woman wearing a native headdress that should only be worn by a male elder. It was weird and fucked up, and a misappropriation of a native cultural artifact that some jeans company was using to make cash.

Here's a pretty good open letter on the topic:

apihtawikosisan.com/hall-of-shame/an-open-letter-to-non-natives-in-headdresses/

I like comparing things like headdresses to military medals or college degrees or titles. People get in trouble if they claim or utilize a college degree that isn't actually theirs, so that's a nice point of comparison. Maybe we should treat similar items from a different culture with the same respect?

cut the bottom 1/3 off and make it a solar symbol, heathen

Its just jewelry tho. In the end no religion is correct. No belief is right or wrong. It just is.

He thinks he's hip.
>it looks cool
Same as his ignorant philosophy.

I second this motion.

No, how about we stop making laws over people's feelings. Offending somebody isn't a crime.

We don't need to live in a police/nanny state where every tiny little thing is regulated and has laws over it.

Two wrongs don't make a right, user.

the "ideas" you are worried so much about don't belong to anyone in particular, as a denizen of earth we are entitled to do whatever we want with these ideas

It is unreasonable to ask for respect in this manner because it is impossibly subjective, it is beyond defense.

What if my culture might say that I must kill people wearing a particular shirt color?
What if you are wearing that shirt color.
Someone from this culture now were to encounter you, by your own words you would be "disrespecting" them to defend yourself against them, and you must submit to death or be a bigot.

Lastly, the scientific method doesn't need "respect" because it is absolutely defensible, it is NON-SUBJECTIVE. If you still do not understand this, it should be evidence to you that you should reevaluate your education on the matter.

No one cares.
They can cry harder.
Nativism is racism so fuck off.

The issue is that, in many cases, white folk have simply taken what they want and used it how they want. It just isn't that hard to give credit where it's due, especially if you're going to profit.

Why wouldn't I? GFY

I don't follow?

That seems like an extreme response.

I didn't start this discussion to defend every possible example of cultural exchange or acculturation that everyone on the shack could think of. That's what a lot of this tread has turned into, and that doesn't help anyone understand anything.

Cultural appropriation is most usually cited when the dominate cultural ( typically white ) takes something from a minority culture without permission and without citation. Like I was referring to in my parent post, a couple of rich white dudes going on good morning America to talk about minimalism is pretty much them repackaging old ( Buddhist ) ideas as their own. It felt like cultural appropriation to me, and it seemed a bit ridiculous that they were either too arrogant or too ignorant to cite a well-known source of the same beliefs they're spouting on their book tour.

Yeah yeah nothing new under the sun. Blah blah.

Japan was conquered by the west, so they're an usual case. It's weird that so many people on the shack have cited them, that seems worthy of thought in general.

The issue is that, in many cases, white folk have simply taken what they want and used it how they want. It just isn't that hard to give credit where it's due, especially if you're going to profit.

>leave me alone im batin

Cause it has jesus dead on it

I totally understand your position. I arrived at mine because I feel like I benefit from being white, due to things white people did in the past. As a result, I try to balance that out by addressing the fucked up things white folks have historically done as well.

I feel like I have to take the bad with the good.

Yeah anyone with common sense could tell you native pride lead to racist nationalism very quickly I agree with you. But it also inspired many inner city youth to learn more about their culture. Plus its rural natives who went the extremist route anyway not the city folk.

You just made Jesus cry.

You have been, for the last few posts, attempting to shift the focus of your argument towards giving "credit where credit is due", nice attempt but...
>not an argument

My responses are really not extreme, you only see them as extreme because you have accepted an extreme maxim on which you base your arguments, ironically that maxim itself is quite racist.

I'm fine with people learning about their culture, and i totally support it, but to accomplish a good via a great wronging is still wrong. The whole thing weakens it to criticism too easily, it must be changed.

I still want my own pope hat.

But that doesn't have to be your mission though? Fucked up shit happens between all ethnicities. Not just whites.

That's an interesting point, and I'll have to do more research to respond intelligently. My gut reaction is that I'm not saying people can't partake in another culture, but they should do so in a way that is respectful of that culture.

Why are you trying to defend two dudes who could have said, "Our ideas were inspired by Zen Buddhism?" That's pretty simple to do, and it's an act worth doing.

All of this is a lot of defensiveness for something easily fixed.

I've spoken with people who didn't know meditation was invented in India, and people that thought yoga was "Asian" but didn't know what that even meant.

I think using a practice without an understanding of it is definitely a form of cultural appropriation. It depends on how hardcore you are though. Some folks would argue that meditation and yoga without proper education and training is cultural appropriation, others would say it's pretty understandable cultural diffusion.

What you need to examine deeper is your idea of "respect" and if it is even valid.
There are more base assumptions in your arguments and you need to research those.

If you want to defend attribution, you need to find out if that is even valid also, considering how incredibly varied the reasons are for why we take culture and do what we want with it.

I have more people to un-indoctrinate tomorrow, so good night to you all.

The issue here is your dealing with a group who was never actually unified to begin with. All these tiny groups react different to the same stimuli. Even when things should go right there's always a group who can destroy the intention and turn violent.

Dark souls 3 has a pope hat option.

Did they incorporate religious/spiritual cosmologies in their schtick? If not, then just accept the way of life they're presenting as a commonly accepted approach to the corporate and political greed inundating every fact of the western lifestyle.

1) You can't steal a decent education and the tangible air of being a person of a particular class. Class is immutable in a single generation.
2) Ostentatious displays of wealth ARE considered gaudy.
F Scott Fitzgerald wrote a novel ~100 years ago that touches on both of these points. Nothing new here.

Cultural appropriation is a weak reactionary stance to the period of Post Modernism that marked the last 20 years in western society. Then again, all the idiots who actual consider the exchange and free use of cultural objects/touchstones to be so sacrilegious that it bares segregating them from other cultures in order to preserve a literally-undefinable sense of "authenticity" ALSO have no concept of the cultural moment that they were born out of. It's a secular PC version of making cultural objects "Sacred." And nobody except the West is doing it.

Buddhism doesn't "own" certain concepts. And each religion undergoes doctrinal shifts and changes. Just like societies do. By trying to compartmentalize these things, it's like trying to act as a breakwater in the middle of the ocean. There's just no point.

The fact that you not only watched that garbage, but then had this reaction, is more than enough proof that your biggest contribution to society will be your death.

Kill yourself

>The issue here is your dealing

lol.. my dealing...

>Buddhism doesn't "own" certain concepts.

Really?

You ever notice how ignorant people always have to line break after every sentence to make their post bigger so they appear smarter? It never works either, its just irritating and childish.

:^) oh baby tell me more

Czech'd

go

on

I'm

listening...

Sitting under a tree and arriving at a revelation is definitely a Buddhist concept and nothing more.

I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you, user.

so newton appropriated from Buddhisim too. Another case of western society raping the minority cultures. As a white person, I'm angry about this for some reason.

What's the problems now? I wasn't speaking about You but the general 'you' who was critical of native nationalism. The world will never go any one persons way. We simply take the good with bad or continue making everything our problem. Besides none of this matters now. We have proven our lives are but a speck of dust in a giant vacuum that will die out trillions of years after we do.

Yes. Like, for example, the concept of minimalism, or anti-materialistic lifestyles, you faggot.

Know anything about the Greek Stoics or Cynics?

eh. I got bored of copying text from the sauce.

thread devolved to shit like:
> also what if a Israeli guy moves to America and falls in love with cowboy culture and wears a tiny cowboy hat on the back of his head and THEN he falls in love with an African american woman who owns a Mexican restaurant and under trump's America they are put into an internment camp where he uses his lasso skills to allow him and his wife to escape over the wall and then they flee to Japan and open a western themed Mexican restaurant where everything is kosher.

That was all in this thread that really merits a response honestly. Anybody who believes in cultural appropriation as a bad thing doesnt actually have the mental capacity to hold conversation with

If that's the case, Prince Siddartha reappropriated Eve sucking Saran's cock.

>fite da powah

heard there was a guy named steve there

I tried to watch it but thought it was a piece of shit. The point of the entire thing was redundant and all around unbearable.

Unless there IS some cosmic consciousness that breaths sentients throughout the universe (multiverse) then there might be a point to live 'right' but that is unprovable by our technology now. So let's all die without the burden of wondering what is above us. Leave that for a future generation. Allowing us to stop caring about people's feelings so much and just live our lives.

Wouldn't it be a shame if only Austrians were allowed to play Mozart?

Do you think those dudes actually studied Buddhism and then decided "Hey, I want to live like this, but I'll call it something else"? Or do you think that maybe they just decided to start simplifying their lives, it felt good, so they kept doing it and wanted to tell other people?

Their ideas are very simple and quite a logical rejection of some central themes of American/Western life. I simply don't believe they were directly inspired by Buddhism. There was another guy who brought up meditation, but it wasn't those two main guys.

>stick a fork in me im done

If you think it's bad coming from me, you should visit /fa/ sometime.

Steve loves the Saran.

Love u2 bb

Wow, talk about a bunch of dumbasses missing the point. You idiots are pathetic!

Its painfully obvious that they did this just for money why you bothered by it so much? In any case what they did and why doesn't matter. Nothing matters. Everyone just needs to chill and not care about the big picture. As long as YOU live life commendable to YOUR standards you should be fine. Don't make new laws based on feelings you have now. They will be a lot different then the feelings people will have 500 years from now.

pls no Sup Forums is bad enough

>Nothing matters. Everyone just needs to chill and not care about the big picture
Hey, guys, I found the problem with the world.

Then what was your point? Maybe just appreciate that were all talking instead of the usual name calling kys trolling mentality we normally have. Also maybe you bored everyone with your impotent rage attitude.

Control your plot of the world. Its all you can do. Its all any one can do. And some will argue control is an illusion.

Get off your ass and do something, you stupid little shit.

I'm not a meet. I have a 35 hour a week job and go to a simple community college. I am doing something. I just don't feel the need to control anything outside of my own life.

>whitesplain
Like mansplain? Yeah, you and people like you are why we're going backward and not forward.

hey op we are white and not going anywhere, if you can't deal with it, you should kill yourself

Then you've missed the point of your own existence.

Love, Planet Earth

Doing one thing and believing in another thing is ok. Not everything has to be a battle. And besides how would anyone know why we exist. We are literally star dust that formed reproductive tendencies.

see
If you didn't fight the battle, you've lost it.

What battle? I've been sharing how I live. What do you do that you think is right? You may find we have more in common the you realized if you lay it out on the table.