What did she mean by this?

What did she mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

math.stackexchange.com/questions/379927/how-long-will-it-take-marie-to-saw-another-board-into-3-pieces
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What kind of garbage broken english question is this?

Sawing a board into 2 pieces is 1 cut in the middle.
10 minutes to make 1 cut.
Sawing another board into 3 pieces is 2 cuts
2 cuts, 10 mins each = 20 mins

Get out of 7th grade ffs OP

Your teacher is retarded

she means she is an idiot and you should let her know 1 cut = 2 pieces
2 cuts = 3 or 4 pieces

I think she's trying to break your will Orwellian style. You must be a cis white male. Check your privilege. Obey. Obey. 2+2=5

>she means she is an idiot

Ironically, the field of education attracts the lower end of the IQ spectrum.

Sawing a board into 2 pieces takes 10 minutes, divide that and you get 5 each. She added another 5, which is how long it'd take. So it's 15.

you're supposed to assume that Marie's time is cut in half with each cut, obviously. Duh.

A cut takes 10 mins. Another cut would take another 10 mins. This is not an algebraic question, this is a logic question.

Approve this.
You all asume it is about cuts, but there is nothing given about cuts in the question, it is about the pieces.
Learn to read

It would take Marie 5 minutes to saw a board into one piece

what the fuck is your teacher even doing at your school

Public education is fucked here in America. Teachers are too lazy to make sure the fucking questions they are writing are clear to read and understand.

10 ÷ 2 x 3
= 10 ÷ 6
= 60

i don't get what the big deal is here

The produce two boards, she made one cut at 10mins. To produce three boards, she needs to make two cuts at 10mins a piece. The answer is 20mins and anons teacher is an idiot.

But in america. Humpty buttfuck mc cherry cheese nacho monkey steamroller meatloaf durkadurkadurka weeeeewoooooweeeeewooooooweeeeeewooooooo NIGGERS!

See, the question is ambiguous. If the question was "how long would the cutting take" it would be 20 minutes. If it was how much time would each piece take, it would be 15 minutes.

>soak the board in water
>fold in half
>saw (since it's thicker, it takes ~5 minutes longer than usual)
>15 minutes

teacher is a genius

Mind blown.

2 cuts can be made in 10 minutes, leading to the conclusion that 1 cut = 5 minutes

3 pieces of woods = 3 cuts = 15 minutes

Simple. Only autists trip over this kind of questions.

The logical way to have 15 be valid is thus: The effort and technique is the same but the dimensions of the board, the cut, and the pieces are different. Say, she cut one board lengthwise. 10 minutes for 1 cut. Then with some completely different board, she cut it to the horizontal, 15 min. We could even get into different consistencies in the grain, hitting a knot, etc. This is truly a 3 star question.

I love this

American education in a nutshell.
Even the teachers are dipshit retarded

But real talk, if this is actually applicable to OP. You should talk to your teacher as both points of view are technically valid but yours is more useful in real life. As far as I know.

10 minutes per cut...

Takes two cuts to make 3 pieces.

Teacher is wrong. It's 20 minutes.

Go above teachers head

bait, pasta, etc

Correct but it doesnt state you would be cutting in that way

It doesn't state HOW you would cut it either

Marie sure sounds like a spack

math.stackexchange.com/questions/379927/how-long-will-it-take-marie-to-saw-another-board-into-3-pieces

Here's your explanation retards

So it takes you 2 cuts to turn 1 piece of wood into 2 pieces of wood.

Old copypasta is old

Youre complicating a simple yet poorly thought-out question. If she's sawing at the rate of 2 pieces every 10 minutes and you understand basic maths then you realize shes sawing 4 pieces every 30 minutes (2+1=3) (take the 3 and add the 0 )

The answer would then be 30 minutes

Please stop confusing everyone here who are looking for the correct answer

She marked it wrong because you didnt write your formula you fucking pre-calc wrong assholee
Let P : pieces

Let m : minutes

Let C : cuts

Let t : time per slice = 10

C(m)=m/t,{m|m

>take the 3 and add the 0

Marie needs to fucking work faster.

>10 minutes to saw a board
>Women

this is how I solved it as well, the teacher is right. OP is an idiot.

this would explain the teachers answer as correct, but she is still wrong. the question would be worded a lot different if this were the answer.

Then congrats, you're a blind retard.

doesn't mention that picture has anything to do with it, also, how is that a board of wood?

>another board

You don't have to do the 3 star ones, you know?

Because where in the adult world, where this shit matters, is an attached diagram unrelated to the instructions?

I mean, seriously, consider for a moment that you're given instructions on how to put a wardrobe together. But as it turns out, the diagram provided is for a nightstand instead. And you'd be even worse off if this was IKEA instructions.

If the diagram is not indicative of the relevant problem, it should not be present, It is purposefully misleading, and would be cause for complaint anywhere else.

>doesn't mention that picture has anything to do with it
So you're the type of retard who sees 'DANGER ELECTRIC SHOCK 5000V' and things that doesn't mean the shit in the box the stickers attached to, huh?

I'll bet he ignores STOP signs too.

"It's not for this road, it's just inexplicably and coincidentally placed here"

>into 2 pieces

Meaning, there is nothing left of the board itself, it is now in two pieces, therefore it was cut in half. That's a teacher who doesn't write nor read their own tests.

There's a picture next to the question

I doubt this math question was aimed at adults, though. For all I know the picture is there because it has something to do with sawing. In the end it's just a silly math question that people can interpret in different ways.

No, I don't assume anything if there is no reason to, I'm also not the type of retard to put words into someone's mouth or get worked up over nothing.

Yeah it's not about cuts right, it's about cutting a board into pieces.

Oh wait.

Without any specific measurements given we'd have to assume the picture next to the question is what she's cutting, which would take 20

Hmm I'm a teacher and I think it's more teachers are overworked and don't read the question, literally look at your answer and the answer booklet and write tick or cross.and copy the answer from the answer booklet.

Also because of dumbshit people thinking Maths should be related to real thigns this makes it easier to picture you get shit like this.

> copying out of a book
Then she should have been right.

Teachers are lazy, stupid, and entitled beyond any normal persons ability to comprehend. I do IT work for a new york suburban school district and it's taken 7 years to wrap my head around the full width and breadth of their stupidity and arrogance. Good teachers account for 1 in 10.

lol, your teacher is fuckin dumb
youre def right, as its 10 minutes per cut, not 5 minutes per piece. tell her that shit man, you are 100% in the right

You have 5 classes a day with 30 + students
Thats 150 things minimum to mark per day The fuck am I going to read all the questions
Sometimes the answer book has typos and I'm not going to notice.

>> lazy, stupid, and entitled beyond any normal persons ability to comprehend.
You're an IT worker for a school :^)

It takes 10 minutes to saw plank into 2 pieces.
So it takes 5 minutes to saw plank into 1 piece.
So it takes 15 minutes to saw plank into 3 pieces.

JESUS CHRIST THAT IS A RETARDED QUESTION. Seriously tell your teacher to read the question before they copy and paste it off the internet. I mean, jesus fucking christ.

because it's true.
1 cut = 5 mins
3 cuts = 15 mins
duh

Nah it will only take 30seconds to break the wood in 3 pieces if you wack it in your teacher's face

How do you cut a board into one piece?

Exactly. That's how the question is retarded. The student is right, i just tried to reach the teachers conclusion.

that' just the teachers way to tell (s)he's stupid as the average murrican, and thus totally able to teach youngsters how to be stupid, too.

1 cut yields 2 pieces of wood. Likewise, 2 cuts yields 3 pieces of wood.

yall are fucking idiots. Everone knows that after you use a saw to cut one piece of wood, the blade is hotter from the friction, therefore it's easier to make the next cut.

And for those Quads, I'll provide this.

------------------------------- 0 cuts/1 piece/0 minutes
---------------|--------------- 1 cut/2 pieces/10 minutes
---------|-----------|--------- 2 cuts/3 pieces/20 minutes

QUADS REVEAL YOUR IGNORANCE

Wait wait you've all got this wrong it's
>10 mins

1 board (uncut) + 2 Pieces = 3 Pieces

What ignorance? It can't take 5 minutes to cut a board into one piece because it's already in one piece.

jajajajaja
toppest of high lols

dubs don't lie
60 is tru

Weak bait kill yourself

I was talking to the person quads replied to, I only realize after posting that it looked like I was claiming he was the ignorant one

you saw the picture?

Fair enough

kwaaaaaaaards

WTF ARE YOU DOING HERE ON Sup Forums?

Still 20 minutes as you cant produce a single piece without a 10 minute cut

you would like her to teach math, eh?
no thanks, there are enough murricans on there.

lmao..

>Everone knows that after you use a saw to cut one piece of wood, the blade is hotter from the friction, therefore it's easier to make the next cut.

The person who came up with this problem has never had to do any physical labor.

the teacher is assuming the original board is not included in the pieces that are being cut off. she thinks a cut in the original board produces one new piece, not including the other part of the cut board as a second piece. they then cut the original board again to produce a second piece. if those two cuts took ten minutes then each one is five minutes of cutting time. therefore, to produce a third piece from the original board one cut is made which adds five minutes to the previous ten minutes, hence her thinking it's fifteen.

this obviously isn't the intention of the question though; your teacher's an ass

>implying it does matter how the cut is made
2 pieces are two pieces

Wait a minute... guys... hey guys... yo!... over here... helloooooooo..... guys.... guys.... hey guys....

there is a whole stack of these boards over here in the corner. We had three pieces all along.

... guys...

including opinions in maths :^)

it does, lol

Way to fucking overcomplicate things

kek'd

then why not cut diagonal... you could go even faster

no it doesn't.
for the second cut the saw is warm and gets through faster, also marie is an experienced sawer now and can saw at higher speeds.
so a cut of 3 times the length of the first cut needs just as long.

>lol WHOA HOLD ON THERE COWBOY
>dont get mad it's just a silly question
>tryhard
>im actually having fun here

HOW THE FUCK CAN MINUTES BE A FUNCTION OF CUTS?

quads don't lie

God damn this pic is old, OP.

what if i told u that the bigger cut is the first cut ? *facepalm*

I disagree. I've met teachers who teach high school calculus who struggle solving logarithmic differential equations and who fail to understand basic geometry. I definitely have had excellent teachers, but I've far more dumb ones than smart ones.

>It takes 10 minutes to saw plank into 2 pieces.
>So it takes 5 minutes to saw plank into 1 piece.
>So it takes 15 minutes to saw plank into 3 pieces.

I'm worried about the quality of your english teachers.