Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1820

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
There's the door

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/int/thread/71333282/#71341085
jisho.org/word/自分
apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html#cloze-deletion
apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html#typinganswers
youtube.com/watch?v=5tYObQ3ocrw
youtube.com/watch?v=FnrigOzpJQo
vocaroo.com/i/s1MrgeMI0EtA
vocaroo.com/i/s1MgGYEBWnZU
vocaroo.com/i/s035qbbtQiTK
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊥ことはない
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/intermediate/Intermediateことはない.png
youtube.com/watch?v=OMgS4ORYv4M&index=7&list=PL3E2869B3E8E181AC
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i want to learn akita dialect

What does an Iranian sound like when speaking Japanese. Curious as to the accent impact. I've heard Americans speaking Japanese and the noticeable American accent, same with Australians.

desuarchive.org/int/thread/71333282/#71341085

>longest interval: 22 days
>mature cards: 4

w-what...

人違いだよ、ストーカーさん。creepyとか散々言ってたお前が今まさにcreepyなんだよ。
とっとと寝ろ。

誰か暴れてる・・・

What is the point if you have to hide a few posts?

jisho.org/word/自分

where's the difference between jibun and watashi?
is jibun between watashi and boku? or is jibun a more feminine "boku"?

jibun doesn't mean "I", that's solely a possible translation depeding on the context

but it can still mean "i" right? when would I use jibun over watashi?

Not that I'm in any way qualified to talk about about this, but jibun kindaroad feels more possessive?
kinda like "i" vs "my"

It still depends on the context though.

it's more an "I" as in "myself (in contrast to others)"

or the difference between 私のちんこ and 自分のちんこ
"my dick" vs. "your own dick"

or that you are doing something "yourself" as another example

i just tried anki.

for some reason i thought it would be like a quiz type program giving me an option to select an answer.

oh well. it's still pretty handy, i guess.

ahhh I think I get it now! Thanks!

>multiple choice
Nothing more horrible for studying than this.

アニメを観るのはハラムなのか

doesn't necessarily need to be multiple choice, simple "fill in the blank" would be nice.

i have an app on my phone for learning kana that shows the character and you need to type the answer in romaji. only downside is no sound.

is not a Japanese learning tool.
It's a general flashcard program. Can be used for more than languages. Medical students love it.

Besides you can still do what you want.
You just have no automatic rating system so if you want to use it effectively you just have to be honest about rating yourself good or bad.

>if you want to use it effectively you just have to be honest about rating yourself

>simple "fill in the blank" would be nice
You can do that.
apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html#cloze-deletion
apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html#typinganswers
youtube.com/watch?v=5tYObQ3ocrw
youtube.com/watch?v=FnrigOzpJQo

iktfb

nemitoonam nihongo sohbat konam

i was just going by the djt guide which suggested i start with anki so i did.
most my ratings come out average because i'm horrible at rating myself.
>that wasnt too hard. wasn't easy though.
on all of them.
maybe they'll change up later on since i just started.
i'll most likely use it in combination with something else. probably rosetta stone since it's so popular.

wish there was some kinda vid or sound of a teacher saying a word then translating that i could watch or listen to repeatedly. seems to be the easiest way for me to learn things.

語尾のばし〜の
語尾上げ〜の
れろれ〜ろれろれろれ〜ろ
って巻き舌で言ってる感じ

>probably rosetta stone since it's so popular
just no.

Also, make sure you start with grammar asap and start reading directly after that.

Anki is more like a support rather than the main way of learning japanese.

You've heard many Iranians speaking Japanese? That's pretty cool.
On a side note my younger brother was made to do "lee lo ree ro ra" speech exercises when he was a kid, to help correct a speech impediment. Poor bastard would pronounce "lee" "lo" "ree" "ro" and "ra" like a Japanese native learning English.

>wish there was some kinda vid or sound of a teacher saying a word then translating that i could watch or listen to repeatedly
You can do that with Anki. The Core vocabulary decks linked on the website in the op have audio for words and sentences. With Anki you can hit a button (R, from memory) to repeat audio. It can be repeated over and over again.
I mean, does have to be a person or could you have a Japanese word and a sentence with a translation that has a button to click for audio to be played? That can be done with a pdf and an media player, or even embedded in a local web page and played in the browser.
There are so many solutions which are all far better than Rosetta Stone.

I did Rosetta stone but dropped it after a while, it's not that bad for learning some basic words but that's about it
it teaches you shit about about grammar so at some point it gets too confusing and pointless

Got 52 cards wrong today, when I usually do 30 on a bad day.
Then I remembered they were actually from Custom Study.

Anki almost gave me a heart attack!

Not a question.

Truly bonkers, huh? You'll get used to it.

>lee lo ree ro ra
I'm sure I will never be able to pronounce it.

I've given up on it already

Eh, now you got me reading about different types of speech impairments.
The only one I knew about in English was turning the rhotic R into a W. For instance, "I weally want to stiw some twouble!"

My brother was unable to do the Portuguese/Spanish thrill, so when he was a kid, instead of saying bruxa (witch) he would say "buxa" (bath sponge).
Like this: vocaroo.com/i/s1MrgeMI0EtA

He eventually learned it the right way.
My cousin, on the other hand, never got past it, so he just uses a throat-produced R (similar to French R) that sounds really weird.
Like this: vocaroo.com/i/s1MgGYEBWnZU

>My brother was unable to do the Portuguese/Spanish thrill, so when he was a kid, instead of saying bruxa (witch) he would say "buxa" (bath sponge).
Found a shitty old clip on mic and gave that bruxa sound an attempt. The sound quality is bad but hopefully enough to hear it properly.
vocaroo.com/i/s035qbbtQiTK
How you rolled those R's was impressive. I'm so glad that Japanese doesn't have that sort of thing to produce proper syllables, etc.

Hey everybody! So today I've seen 「誰も死を阻むことはできね」 used.

Sorry to be bothering you, but why not just 「誰も死を阻めない」 ? I mean, that and what ending is that in できね? I honestly don't know if both these questions should be answered in my books...I at least thus far haven't come across them.

Again, sorry and thank you very much!

Depending on the context, it could infer this usage:
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊥ことはない
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/intermediate/Intermediateことはない.png

feels good man

I think you might be right! Man, I really need to start use the resources...this is the second time you've(most likely) helped me by showing me them. Really thanks a lot!

Well, you look in the right way, shouldn't take you long if you were forced to speak a language with it.

And it helps with the rarirurero in Japanese too, since you just have do make a "softer" version of the thrill as a base.

>24 minutes
What the fuck. Takes me an hour to do approximately the same amount. And I rush it.

This is true I suppose. I think it's better to focus on listening first but once you're good at listening it's a lot easier to just say fuck it and stop doing any serious study, capping yourself around N1 level.

That said I think listening + anki helps quite a bit to put you above the people who just do listening, since it means you largely fix the vocabulary problems.

Asuku is so cute uwu

>What the fuck. Takes me an hour to do approximately the same amount. And I rush it.

Because you're probably listening to audio or doing something that wastes a lot of time. 10 cards per minute is pretty normal I think if none of them are new (so you don't have to spend a bunch of time thinking) and you just look at the front and answer or give up quickly.

Can someone give me a /quick rundown/ on 何か?

Like when it is attached before a noun, like 彼が何か食べ物を持ってきたそうだよ。 Is just like saying "some sort of/some kind of (noun)"? Is it informal? Can it ever be insulting?

Thanks for any insight.

> Is just like saying "some sort of/some kind of (noun)"?
yeah
> Is it informal?
No. However, なんか (rather than なにか)

>Can it ever be insulting?
Not really, but なんか can be

なにか comes before noun, なんか after

お前なんか死ね

何かいいものあるのかな

Yeah, maybe it's my giving up time, I don't have one (although I'll mark it hard if I take too long).

Perfect, thanks.

>No. However, なんか (rather than なにか)
*No. However, なんか (rather than なにか) is

誰も阻むことは「できね」
Sounds strange.

誰も阻めない
Normal way of speaking.

誰も阻むことはできない
Bit theatrical.

誰も阻むことはできぬ
Old and theatrical way of speaking. looks suitable for Shakespeare.

誰も阻むことはできねえ
Way of rough men such as Naroto.

What do Canadians sound like?

I've been told by Japanese in Vancouver that we have the clearest accent for English, least slang and least rough/nazely.

Are they even right? I'll never know I guess. What do Canadians speaking Japanese sound like?

How can I remove furigana from Anki example sentences?

I want to remove English too, eventually I want to take out the text entirely and just listen to the audio.

Oh, I see...thank you, kind user! Well, I should have expected an old-fashioned way of speaking from Malthael... again, thanks!

Look at those tiddies!!!

Asking again because no one repsonded last time ;_:

Is there a way to randomize fonts for your anki cards? I'm having a lot of trouble recognizing kanji outside of my decks.

Here's an idea: use a different font every day.
It'll take just a few seconds to customize the card template with a new font name, and you'll have to do your daily reps in that style.

>I'm having a lot of trouble recognizing kanji outside of my decks.

You probably have trouble with a lot of things at this point.

s-sorry about my dumb post

I like the idea, when I first started I used to think different fonts were different kanji, fucked me up.

I don't know what is meant by change the card template though

Browse > Select your deck > Cards > Change the stuff on the left

jibun is also an informal way of saying "you" in Kansai dialect.

I should really stop watching Gaki no Tsukai, I rarely hear standard speech there.

I understand hajimeru is active and hajimaru is passive, but how do I know wheter it is considered passive or active?
"The year has started", "rain started to fall", "He started to think he was insane"... all of these can be seen both ways in my mind.

Thank you, just changed a bunch of stuff for my cards I never even knew I could do.

>you can flip a deck
That's amazing for writing practice.

Whats the difference between adj+sa and adj+no?
Like 可愛いの and 可愛さ ?

Did you play active parts in those things?

That's what I always ask myself.

isn't the issue at hand transitive and intransitive verbs?
はじめる takes an object and a subject(X person starts Y thing == XがYをはじめる)
はじまる can only take a subject(X starts ==Xがはじまる)
I might be wrong tho.

Well, in the "he starts to think" example it wouldn't work, as he can either focus on doing that or do it unconsciously.

Ohh, that makes things a bit more manageable.
So, let's see if I get it:

hajiMEru:
- The year starts to pass by;
- The rain begins to fall;
- The man starts to think about...

hajiMAru:
- The year('s passage) starts;
- The rainfall begins;
- The man's thoughts about.... start.

Something like this, yes, I see now. Arigatô.

The few comments I could give on that would be:

- の in this case could be a pronoun, like the cute one, which would be a big distinction.

- as a nominalizer, の has more of a personal and tangible connotation, so if one were to nominalize a more abstract i-adjective, nominalizing it with さ might be a better choice.

- an i-adjective is basically a stand alone verb disguised as an adjective, whereas changing it to the さ form turns it completely into a noun.

As for how they are purely, contextually different as nominalizers, hopefully someone can maybe lend some more insight.

So I would think then either,

>Insane thoughts are starting
or
>He is starting to think insane

They are pretty similar and kind of philosophical so it could be either and you could change your sentence to fit?

Yes it's much easier to just think of transitive/intransitive by the direct object distinction, since there is not always going to be a clean active and passive divide between the two when you are trying to interpret them into English.

Ive read both -sa and -no can be used to turn adjectives into nouns, so what i was wondering is what was the difference between these nouns.
My guess would be something like
no: The noun refers to everything to which the adj applies
sa: the noun refers to "being the adj"
But i honestly have no idea

>> an i-adjective is basically a stand alone verb disguised as an adjective, whereas changing it to the さ form turns it completely into a noun.
I find this a bit confusing. Could you elaborate(mostly on "an i-adjective is basically a stand alone verb ")?

did people say desu kai in the past

Well putting how I did is kind of careless, but an i-adjective always has a copula hidden behind it, so it is a full predicate.

This was weird to me since English is my native language, so seeing sentences like この猫は可愛い (this cat is cute) early on made me want to fit Japanese into a simple English sentence mold by considering the は or が marker to be "is", so word for word it truly would be "this cat is cute". However, the topic marker is only marking the topic and that's it, and only in I think very polite Japanese would they actually say the です at the end of the i-adjective.

So the sentence would really be like "This cat, cute is" in English.

Ive always thought of those state of being sentences as an implicit da so i found it confusing when you mentioned i-adjectives being verb-like(Unless im mistaken na adjectives can also be used in the same way, and i studied i-adjs as being the "real" adjectives and na-adjs the "noun" adjectives, therefore the mention of a "verb" adjective kinda put me off track haha)
I think the best abstract translation would be something like "Cat (is) cute" with the (is) being implicit

>implicit da
この猫は可愛いだ is wrong though you can't have だ after an い-adjective.

That wasn't very clear, the い-adjective acts like a verb in that the meaning of "is" is already in the adjective. Adding です just makes it more formal.

youtube.com/watch?v=OMgS4ORYv4M&index=7&list=PL3E2869B3E8E181AC
Watch these. They're great

Is this correct concerning usage?

「海外」is used mainly to refer to activities abroad, e.g. studying, traveling, living, etc.

「外国」 can also be used in the same sense as 「海外」 but also can refer to things of foreign (i.e. international) nature, e.g. foreign people, language, food, etc.

バンプ

I don't know for sure but I think so, I think the first is overseas and the other relates to more country specific things.

Any help would be appreciated on interpreting this use of the passive (final sentence):

"『海辺のカフカ』には架空のヒット曲が登場する。その曲の中に「不思議なコード」があるという話もおもしろい。奥田民生の'99年のシングル『月を超えろ』の歌詞にも「不思議なコード」という言葉がある。音楽が好きな人間にとっては想像をかきたてられる表現だが、現実には「不思議な和音」などというものは無い。"

The context is the author comparing the works of Haruki Murakami to musician Tamio Okuda songs, and is in this paragraph talking about how Kafka On The Shore and an Okuda single both feature the term "mystery chord".

"音楽が好きな人間にとっては想像をかきたてられる表現だが"

The use of the passive is baffling me a bit, as I get what it is basically saying but I am losing the subject; 表現 is attached with a passive, but it's fucking with my brain since I think it is indirect passive, and I'm having trouble thinking how it would be accurately translated. Thanks for reading.

実はfuckingが言葉が入ると読めない。

Japanese can speak only Japanese.
other country's native people is the same.
the denying it is racism.
A raicist is wrong.

Oh god not this guy again.

カタコトだな。
関西弁真似してるけど中途半端です。

w-what?

discrimination of speaking is discrimination.
we often do it to foreigners.
you never speak perfect Japanese language forever.
つまり、自分を差別して欲しい、という意味になる。

すみませんが今にはその言葉が変えれないけど

私が理解できないだけで問題ありません。

proxy troll is meme.
meme can not demand his right at all.

I think it's something like "for people who like music (subject) it's an expression that stirs the imagination, but..."

if you replaced the particle wo with ni you'd get something like the expression that gets stired by the imagination
in general I think he uses the passive like you would use it with 思われる as in it makes you think of something, it's not like someone is actively doing the stirring, it just happens

don't know if that helps

Its been 8 months, and I still miss my japanese ex more than ever and literally tear up waiting for her to reply.

The last thing she said to me is "I dont want to talk with you" and has ignored me since. She also frequently responds with "嫌い”

Goddammit djt

why do we have a general in /jp/ and Sup Forums? which one is better?

I've gone through Tae Kim's guide and now I want to go through the genki books to consolidate what I learned and pick up some new stuff.
I think I remember people here and elsewhere saying the books were no good though, is this true?

Either can be used the same way, but from what I have seen Sup Forums is better for asking simpler questions or for a beginner to talk in in general. /jp/ on the other hand tends to shun lower level questions as well as complete beginners more. Another difference is more from a content culture stand-point Sup Forums tends to promote listening and conversing with natives more whereas /jp/ does not support this as much and just learns japanese for media consumption.

I have two Japanese exes the first I randomly met one day and is the reason I started learning Japanese at all.

Second was a Tinder date where I tried to re create the previous relationship.

Still miss the first one, Japan rarely ever crossed my mind prior to her, everything was so new and exciting but. Miscommunication was awful as she was learning English still.

They're slow as fuck, don't have kanji until the 3rd chapter of the first book and the exercises are tailored to classes more so than individual study. Find a copy online and look through it to see for yourself though.

>Sup Forums is better for asking simpler questions
dafuq

From my experience /jp/ tends to get more elitist about things than Sup Forums does because its /jp/.

あ 分かりました。とにかく、返事をありがとうございます。

Yes that does, thank you. These rhetorical elements are slowly starting to gel in my head.

The threads on /jp/ tend to get stupidly autistic about the smallest things and have day+ long arguments over nothing, similar to some of the threads on Sup Forums.
Just how many times can they sit there and scream at each other for days on end over the same arguments about which visual novels are Objectively® the perfect ones for beginners?
Drives me to nausea just lurking.