Any alcoholics that went sober here?

Any alcoholics that went sober here?

What's the worst thing about detoxing on your own?

>Go to rehab
Don't have the money and most people relapse

Day 1: This was easily the worst. Heart palpitations, couldn't focus on anything, kept feeling vertigo, etc. Had a lot of symptoms you'd get with hypochondria and it was miserable.

Day 2: A little better but most of the same.

Day 3: Feeling better and I can focus but the craving is still there.

Day 4: I'm feeling great and I have energy but it's taking everything to stop me from walking down to the liquor store.

>inb4 how much were you drinking?

On most days I was drinking 1/2 a 1.7L of 90% vodka a day. Some days I'd go to the bar and drink there all day until closing time.

What and how much did you usually drink a day?

I'd get these 1.7L 90% vodka bottles for $18.50 (tax included). I'd drink one every day two days. If I could afford it, I'd walk down to the bar in between drinking those and drink there all day.

I used to have a colossal drink problem, I guess I was an alcoholic for a long time. Drunk every night of the week because I was making good money, had no commitments, just went in a bar after work and drank until I was blind drunk. Then one morning I woke up in an ambulance. There was a paramedic sat on my chest to stop me convulsing, I had ripped all the muscles in my back and the convulsions were so bad only the back of my head and the balls of my feet were touching the trolley. Alcoholic poisoning's a bitch. That was nine years ago, haven't touched alcohol since but I still feel the strong temptation to go on a bender and get wasted. I just have the willpower to resist.

I had to go sober for medical reasons. It wasn't that bad for me. A lot of people try to quit addictions by completely stopping the activity, but then you get withdrawals and are absolutely miserable. I just slowly tapered how much I was drinking over the course of about a month until it was down to a point where I could just stop altogether.

That was in 2011. Since then, I've had maybe 3 beers.

You are not that deep it seems, but later you will notify scary nightmares on day 3 or 4. Or, if lucky, can even get the alcoholic delusion of persecution, which is fun to remember but fucking deadly terrible to suffer.

I know it's not a great idea, but weed can help with a craving.

I go through a 1.7l 80 proof Vodka in about 4 days. Maybe I should cut back...

Been sober for 4 years in AA. Before I got sober I was drinking 1/2 gallon of whiskey per day, so I needed to be medically detoxed, because I would've had a seizure and died if I went cold turkey.

So, I spent 6 days in the hospital. Then I moved into a sober house in my city where I lived for 2.5 years. Been managing a sober house for the past 1.5 years. Also during this time I managed to finish law school.

Never had convulsions but I've woken up in a cop car. I don't know how I got there but I was passed out in front of a bar at 6AM laying on the sidewalk.

I also had one morning where I woke up in the back of a warehouse at 7AM with shit next to me, shit on my coat and on my pants. I thought that was my real wake up call and epiphany of "what am I doing with my life?"

Yeah i just smoke weed the days i dont drink. But I smoke weed every day.

1.7 liters every 2 day is pretty bad but I know people who came down off of far worse. My wife's dad used to drink at least 20 beers a day, a handle of whiskey and then some. When her mother was getting her and her brothers on the bus, it wasn't uncommon for her dad to be black out drunk in his underwear at 7 in the morning. He'd wake up and start up again. No one knows how he survived doing that for decades.

I hope you never, ever help anyone with legal issues.

Why?

(As an aside, alcoholism is really big in the legal profession. There are even special lawyers-only AA groups in my city.)

Yeah, if you have memory blackouts then you definitely have a drink problem. My problem was a complete inability to drink socially, every time I started drinking I had to get drunk. Weird thing is my cousin had exactly the same problem apart from the convulsions so she quit drinking too. Cold turkey is the only way for people with a problem like I had.

...b-but he got quads, Sup Forumsrofaganon- QUADS.

>What's the worst thing about detoxing

the number of times you have to go through it before you figure out how to succeed. some never get there.

The problem with most people I've met that try to quit is they don't have a reason to live. The only reason my wife's dad quit was because of what it was doing to his kids and family. It ate at him for a month but after that he never drank again.

OP and other people having this problem need a reason to live. It's hard to overcome an addiction to something when you have nothing else.

I found out last year that an old friend had drank himself to death. Liver failure at the age of 47. He couldn't stop.

Detoxing is the easiest part. The physical addiction is broken in about a week.

The hardest part about getting sober is the mental addiction. The obsessing about drinking even after years and years. That's why so many alcoholics die and why relapse rates are so high - the mental obsession.

Biggest problem for me was being tired and miserable all fucking day, then being wide awake all night, no matter what time I went to bed or woke up. You start feeling better relatively quickly like you mentioned and think "oh terrific this calls for a drink!" Dont fall for it. Grow a pair and man up. Youve made a choice to stop for a reason, now follow through with it. Joining a gym is like $10 a month these days. It helps with the boredom and restlessness. It also builds confidence and all that other bs.