Elite Squad

I've heard some great things about this movie, but the reviews of it aren't so good. Is it a case of it being a mediocre movie that got overhyped to shit by Brazilians (same thing happens with god awful Bollywood movies and the Indians that watch it) or is it actually a good watch?

I really liked City of God by the way.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporatism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurism
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>same thing happens with god awful Bollywood movies and the Indians that watch it

You couldn't be more wrong.

Both Elite Squad movies do not try to be whatever the flash, action Bollywood movies try to be, the only reason why both movies are overhyped in Brazil is because of the main character, what he says and what he does.

You should watch though, see for yourself, it's not an action film.

It's a pretty good depiction of the actual goings on within the police force throughout most of Brazil

The second one is not so good. But an ok action flick non the less.

Pretty much.

>actually giving a fuck about reviews before watching a movie

the second is better

[comic showing a person squatting over a plate, his friend chastising him for attempting to shit on the plate, and the person about to shit says that there's no way of knowing that shit is going to come out]

I saw a reeeally long 3and a half hour cut totally in subs. I didn't know there were two movies. The one I saw was a very personal tale. It shows a guy kind of losing himself, his family, his principals in order to do his job. It shows a man turning into a tool, not of justice really, just a tool manipulated by hard-to-fathom forces above him. I lost sight of right in wrong-within the film- as I watched it. It's about a guy doing his job and that's it. A really shitty job.

>Is it a case of it being a mediocre movie that got overhyped to shit by Brazilians (same thing happens with god awful Bollywood movies and the Indians that watch it) or is it actually a good watch?

It's the reverse actually, with critics hating it because they think it endorses "fascism and police brutality" and other buzzwords that trigger liberal fags

Nobody cares about you last date, user.

Buttmad DCuck detected

what did he mean by this?

I saw it about 2 years ago with no knowledge of the first movie.

Thought it was incredible. Probably one of my favorite movies now. 9/10 easy.

You know, sometimes a double entendre is actually a triple?

Nope it was actually good.
Best thing is, it made Padilha fuck off to California after almost dying to hitmen at his house and now he swings to the right. LMAO.

I heard the police men in croatia are bad ass. Any movies where they are the good guys?

Makes a guy scratch his head how Galivera actually outlived Escobar when Galan got his- belly- shot off during the same time period. The bad guys die, the good guys die too. Then there's guys like that..?

Ya, if you're a bad guy.

It's excellent. Although a lot of films address the fascist mindset, not many are willing to actually empathize with it. Elite Squad, from start to finish, is how you take a good, smart, kind man and turn him into someone who will sodomize a child with a broom handle as part of an interrogation.

If you see the first one, you have to see the second - which shows how that mindset can be corrupted and then later overcome. I'm liberal, and I think most liberals don't realize that the goal isn't to kill fascists, but rather to deprogram them and redirect their impulses towards healthy activities.

....wut?

You got that. Was having a laff.

>le fascist meme
Fuck off to

>or is it actually a good watch?

It is actually a good watch, a really good one.

Trust me.

The only people who can shill against this movie are some bleeding-heart liberals because they argue it portrays "poor people in a bad light and supports police brutality". Of course this is not true in any case, but you know how the brains of these fanatic political militant works, they distort everything to make it fit into their narrative.

Sounds like the second one

>brazil
>fascists are the problem

Ofc course the reviews are bad.
This is a movie that shits all over liberals

you talk like leftists aren't the biggest fascists of all

The first one got bad reviews because critics thought it glorified the BOPE, while in fact says that a culture of violence only leads to more violence. The second one is more in your face about what it thinks about violence so critics realized they could like it

> heavily-armed death squads who call themselves "Skulls" wearing all black
> kill and torture with impunity
> literally no accountability, accountability seen as weakness
> not fascist

Top kek.

This. It's a liberal movie glorified by conservatives and criticized by liberals because everyone missed what it's about.

It's true.

The movie makes the fascists sympathetic, which is what is what makes it good. Most of the liberals are useless faggots, just like in real life. That doesn't make jamming a broomhandle into a 10-year-old's ass or choking a woman with a plastic bag any less wrong.

50% of the country being niggers is the problem

Guys the movie takes no political sides.
It's like south park in that matter.
Stop being naive.
It just showed how bad the shit was in Rio and how you need both sides to advance as a society.

Clue me in.

Hm.
Can you share with the class your definition of fascim? Please dont make it more than three paragraphs.

They always have been. Politics isn't a polarity. Go far enough one way, either way, and you're a fascist. Right and left meet in that hallowed ground.

Unless you're a communist.

The second one has the main character getting "promoted" to a desk job so the politicians can take him off the action because he was getting too close to find out their involvement in the criminal activity or something like that. He separated from his wife and there's an human rights activist that cucks him.

Wow what amazing political commentary. The Soviet and Communist leaders of the 20th century was as far as left politics went in authoritarianism and none can be called "fascist"

>Human rights activist that cucks
My sociology professor is married to that guy lol

second one isn't good if you wanted more of the same, but it is good in the sense it's a logical progression and escalation from the first.

Ultrareactionary authoritarian nationalism.

The film shows how Matias goes from a disillusioned cop who plays by the rules to someone who feels the rules of the liberal society he lives in are irrelevant and that he should do what is "right" by any means necessary (including torture and sexual assault). He's right in realizing that the liberals he deals with are naive morons exacerbating the problems of Brazil, he's wrong in thinking that all the hallmarks of a liberal society (esp. accountability) are useless. You see this in the sequel, when BOPE is used to assist organize crime after its leadership becomes corrupt.

It's a great movie. It's so hyped in Brazil because of the extensive and hilarious use of cursing. Now and then you can hear people repeating phrases from both movies.

And it's like most are saying. The first one aimed to criticize police brutality but it backfired because the average brazilian loves violence against bandits. The second tries really hard to put the blame on politicians.

You are a profoundly ignorant kid who knows nothing more about politics than the memes you read and hear in your eco chambers.

Fascism is an actual political and economical organization with a strong philisophical and cultural background.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporatism

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurism

Reducing it to "being violent" like if you are reducing fascism to the actions of band of skinheads you had problems with, is so retarded that it can only come from a completely delusional militant marxist self-absorbed in his own rhetoric.

And what you describe has been done by all kind of people identifying themselves with all kind of political movements.

Or maybe you think that the Marxist guerrillas in South America or the Red Army or the People's Liberation Army didn't torture or kill people or had some kind of accountability on their actions. Yes, sadly you probably think that.

They're in a classification all their own. Two scholars with no real political ambitions set fire to the world in ways they never dreamed of, ways that forced one to suicide. Their point was literary, they also spawned the birth of utopian/dystopian lit. It was meant to be thought-provoking, not game-changing.

>fascism
>reactionary
Fascism is revolutionary, if we are using the correct meaning of the word.

Yes you can call the movie ultrareactionaire alright, they played by dirty war rules.
But they were dealing with scum. Those niggers in the favelas are closer to being rats than human beings. Cops trying to keep the order are murdered on sight.
Druglords burn people alive in those hills mate. Jornalista, debt owners, snitches. They rape little girls. They deserve no simpathy.
Autoritharian? K but I dont see how that's an issue. I mean, they could play by the book... and not get any shit done, because those books are archaic from almost a hundred years ago.
Now, nationalistic? Where did you get that from?

>tfw white liberals try to discuss your country's politics

Not the person you are talking to, but Fascism isn't a thing. It's a meme Mussolini & co. came up with that ignorant leftist fags use to call people that disagree with their delusions.

Also
>wikipedia

Fuck both of you

Além de vc tem uns 4 outros BRs aqui mlk

>It's a meme Mussolini & co. came up with

A meme that works

You're in an American imageboard, monkey.

For their italian thing only. Go read a book, faggot.

Tá querendo fudê meu batalhão?

There have been cases of tourists or even people from the city that inadvertently entered in an street near a favela and got shot up just because, that's why people don't care if the police is brutal with them, it's not that the police doesn't have accountability just because of corruption, people don't give a fuck.

All political ideologies are memes, literally, they aren't real things.

What isn't a meme?

What?

>wikipedia

Yup, I posted it because apparently none of you know even the basics of it.

>A cop is volent
>He is a fascist!!

Kek, fucking college kids.

NINGUÉM VAI SUBIR NÃO.

How about you read a book, gaylord.

Sounds like America, for a while now. IT'S-been-HAPPENING!

>muh spooks meme
Kill yourself you fucking pseudo-intellectual retard

>fucking it up

he says "não vai subir ninguém, não vai subir ninguém".

Give me one example of a Fascist movement beyond the italian.
Pro tip, you can't, because it was a singular one-time thing.
The term doesnt have a definition per se, nowadays it Means nothing, it's just a go-to word to call brutal acts or people that doesn't bend left.

E quem foi que falo que o batalhão é seu?

Eu estava meramente pretendendo

So you're saying that real fascism has never been tried?
It's time then

integralism in Brazil, if it wasn't for the ww2 it would have been bigger.

I'm saying that only the italians did. God I'm out of this thread.

>The term doesnt have a definition per se
but it does you fucking retard.

And it was the best government Italy ever had
Mussolini just happened to be on """"""""""""""""the wrong side""""""""""""""""""'

Just stepping in here, sir. Was there something specific about that original outfit that made them fascists? What is it that excludes all the other guys from the club? Is fascism just a word, like nobody can be a real Nazi besides the Third Reich guys? I'm not making a joke, just trying- not very well- to frame my question.

From the very wiki you posted:

>Historians, political scientists, and other scholars have long debated the exact nature of fascism.[22] Each interpretation of fascism is distinct, leaving many definitions too wide or narrow.[23][24]

In effect, the word is defined as indefinite, as follows- in·def·i·nite
ˌinˈdef(ə)nət/
adjective
adjective: indefinite

lasting for an unknown or unstated length of time.
"they may face indefinite detention"
synonyms: indeterminate, unspecified, unlimited, unrestricted, undecided, undetermined, undefined, unfixed, unsettled, unknown, uncertain; More
limitless, infinite, endless, immeasurable
"an indefinite period"
antonyms: fixed, limited
not clearly expressed or defined; vague.
"their status remains indefinite"
synonyms: vague, ill-defined, unclear, imprecise, inexact, loose, general, nebulous, fuzzy, hazy, obscure, ambiguous, equivocal
"an indefinite idea"
antonyms: clear
Grammar
(of a word, inflection, or phrase) not determining the person, thing, time, etc., referred to.

The nazis had parties everywhere including America, it was way more organized. And to this day there are still nazi movements around but not so much since it's dogmas have been criminalized everywhere. Except, you know, america.

Not that user but scholars debating what's the proper definition of a sociopolitical construct doesn't mean it's devoid of meaning or it's not actually a real thing.

It's a shit word that need not be included in any rational debate concurrent with modern political affairs, here, or anywhere else. It's nothing more than false ground on which to plant a dishonest flag upon. It's a shit word.

> And to this day there are still nazi movements around but not so much since it's dogmas have been criminalized everywhere. Except, you know, america.
>Except, you know, america.

That sounds like the typical sassy and pretentious statement from a liberal college kid talking about the world's problems and such.

Grow up.

So the Nazis have lineage. My I get back to my question, now. What differentiates them from fascists? Still trying poorly to frame my question, pardon me.

It's appropriation of a word to suit name calling purposes, because it has a ring to it.
you did see that user that made a reference to the movie being ultranationalistic when in truth it had NOTHING of the sort...
Italian fascism had a whole range of stuff and simplifying something calling it fascist is just wrong.

Wut? Can't handle the banter, burguerfriendo?
I was just stating a fact. Chill.

So, in order to understand the real definition of fascism, we must have a deep understanding of 'Italian fascism'. That wording alone suggests it's nothing more than a flavor of, though.

I'm not American, retard.

And you were not bantering, you were just being yourself, an uneducated pretentious retard who talks about shit he knows nothing about.

You mean ideology-wise?

Wow you beat me, now I'm sad :(

No need for that. Come, now, be a big boy!

What makes Nazis Nazis, and not fascists?

Yep.
That, or let the word be loosely used to pertain "extreme right wing" actions.

Fascism is more of a practice now than a political movement, like "terrorism". You are right, it's appropriation of the word, but that's how language works.

I'm not agreeing with that user, since the movie or it's characters are not fascists, but it's common in Latin America to call right wing people fascists, if I'm not mistaken that's how they use the word in the movie

I was asking you to try, son. Bart can't help you.

Ok, that's a strong declaration of what you think it means. I accept that. I'm here to learn.

Good question, I guess I'd say Nazis were way more aggressive, wanted domination and expansion beyond what the Prussian empire was, and obviously there's the arian/racist/genocide thing.
Italian fascism were slower, guided in most part by catholic Church moral Compass.