Any Vaporwave fags?
s a d b o y z

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/UuqU3AA
youtu.be/b8K1Xf1mQKY
youtu.be/K8Zai5FFaac
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A E S T H E T I C

what is the appeal (emotional or intellectual) of Vaporwave? is there an associated political or philosophical inclination surrounding its fandom?

Normies don't get it and never will

I just like the colors and shit. Also the music is chill and really relaxing

It's a subculture of subcultures

It's basically Electronic Jazz

What I come to realize listening to them is it touches people who don't fit in with today's culture/society norms such as music, movies, etc.

I've never heard it before - where would I start?

yeah - those are awesome colors, buddy!

what you're describing really fascinates me - because I've read this several places, but I've never taken the opportunity to listen. Very intrigued by what you're insinuating, because there's definitely a more cerebral and emotive aspect to it that's unattainable elsewhere

OP here. Start by listening to Simpsonwave its apart of vaporwave just different name but the music is just sex on the ears

thanks bro

Vaporwave listener's are mostly Japanoholic 90's babys

I see - so it evokes sensations and nostalgia from the 90s? is it kind of wistful and melancholic? like you start feeling especially emotional about a bygone yet preferable time? would it be fair to suggest that its creation has risen due to contemporary chaos and conflict, and the music enhances lamentation of a more stable and comfy society? and the appropriation of corporate logos and imagery is ironic - cynical even - yet it goes full circle and becomes sincere again, due to those outdated logos having such a strong connotation with the culture being referenced by the music?

Blank banshee and Macintosh plus

Wow man, right on the button. I honestly couldn't have put it in better words myself without dumbing it down lol but yes u have figured out why vaporwave is becoming more prevalent in today's society. The part about logos being outdated and falling back into the nostalgia is spot on

there is the entire commentary on how shallow mass production/consumption is within modern capitalism, both as a critique and as a sort of nostalgic celebration of a bygone era (mostly the 80s and early/mid 90s) when it all seemed so bright and shiny (and in hindsight we realize how tacky and ugly and cheap much of it is - that's why the colors are supposed to be a bit garish and nauseating). Vaporwave seems to revel in nostalgia of forgotten ad campaigns and consumer products that permeated our consciousness once upon a time, the memories of which we've discarded to make room for more pertinent things, and now upon seeing or hearing them again, the recognition is the textbook definition of uncanny, especially since VHS distortion effects, reverb, and slowed playback are almost always applied to the media. that's perhaps the main important aesthetic aspect of vaporwave.

the other part of it is this imaginative world-building that has a lot to do with 80s cyberpunk obsessions; from Neuromancer to Akira to RoboCop to Brazil to Ghost in the Shell (whose visual styling heavily influenced the Matrix), the 80s and 90s were sort of a heyday (or at least the period in which it was first made popular) of fiction which imagined a "cyberpunk" future techno dystopia where computer technology, urban decay, wealth disparity, crime, drug addiction, etc. have all increased dramatically, as if the peak achieved in the 50s through the 80s was not sustainable, but also that the progress of computer technology was unstoppable. You'll see a lot of Frankenstein-esque narratives in this genre, as well as themes of corruption, oppression, uprising, etc. This particular future dystopia imagination has found a new home with artists like those found on the Dream Catalogue label, who instead simply make it an emotionally hollow or simply sad technologically-centered future "dystopia"
these, to me, are the two main aesthetic
interests of vaporwave

I personally feel let down by the progress of all that I technology. I had such high hopes. Vaporwave brings back that feeling - not hope now, but emptiness and loss.

my comment was too long, so I need to add a few more comments.

The emotional aspect of vaporwave is also important. It is usually melancholic as mentioned by but it can also be sort of empty, dreamlike and calm. It also has the opportunity to be joyful, as embodied by certain artists like Saint Pepsi and 猫 シ Corp., but that is usually achieved through the recycling of old funk/R&B/disco/tunes, and also (to varyingly joyful and depressing effects) in the recycling of old ad jingles/cheap corporate music/and early internet era menu or website tunes by artists like Infinity Frequencies and Internet Club. These effects vary depending on the nature of the original tune, as well as the effects added by the original artist, but the uncanny effect nearly always present.

Hell ya, love me some slowed down elevator music A S S T E T I C

Does it sadden u?

also this: imgur.com/UuqU3AA

thank you, man! I'm fascinated by the subculture surrounding the music - I think they're pretty savvy and have well above standard intelligence. Plus the humor aspect indicates that fan base is self aware, further underscoring its appeal

terrific post - I'm grateful for your rundown. I can fully sympathise with everything you're describing. It's captivating how the element of sincere appreciation of longing has been introduced into the more cynical and dehumanized elements of postmodernism - I'm reminded of Guy Debord and his Society of the Spectacle. Which utterly fails in its dissection of consumerism and corporate aesthetic homogeneity, which is typical of Marxist theory (its fatal flaw being that it never takes into account human experience, ambitions, or emotions). Vaporwave, conversely, seems to take these same themes and do them right.

Also very fond of cyberpunk! You cited several excellent examples. Akira, RoboCop, William Gibson books etc. I'm definitely going to set aside some time to explore Vaporwave. Thanks to your descriptions, I can see that it's a highly preferable counter to contemporary culture than what's otherwise offered.

>touches with people that don't fit with today's culture/society
Vaporware represents perfectly today's culture/society.
>dude weed
>I'm different and edgy for listening to weird music
>totally born in wrong generation
>memes and shit
Every faggot hipster and millennial listens to vaporwave.

cool! thanks man

I'm not saying it doesn't represent it, I'm saying it's for those who don't fit in. And it's not representing today's society but reminiscing on a older one just before today

Yes. But Vaporwave gives me space to feel, and to develop a relationship with that part of myself from long ago. Technology just churns forward soulessly and Vaporwave gives me time to stop and reflect.

it's certainly countercultural.
yes it's been turned into a meme, but it's also possible to enjoy it without the S A D B O Y cloudrap bullshit. I don't smoke weed very often (for various reasons) and I haven't actually listened to vaporwave on weed, and I still thoroughly enjoy a lot of it. I have listened to it on DXM.
"born in the wrong generation" is always a shit sentiment, I agree. As for the popularity of it, I have no idea. I'm guessing in places like NYC, LA, and Chicago where I've seen ads and other things for vaporwave-themed events, yes, it has reached a sort of popularity, but I live in Germany and only shitty cloudrap has achieved a certain level of popularity. Most people I talk to have no idea what vaporwave is, and I have hipster and "millenial" friends.

>I'm not saying it doesn't represent it but it doesn't represent today's society
Make up your mind. It represents a good portion of today's subcultures and scenes, you couldn't get vaporware without modern internet and the kind of people that spend most of their time using it.

I agree, it helps me slow down and meditate my thoughts. Especially with all this access to information we have now as opposed to then, it's no wonder why this helps me relax

Unfortunately that's the kind of thing I see when looking at the comments of vaporware, and sadily I see a lot of the shit eating faggots that act like this so that's the impression I get from the genre. I would otherwise have no real issue with it.

Ya well lots of white kids in suburbs listen to trap but there not out there gang banging the streets. U can't place a genre of music with certain people cause theirs always people that are opposite who enjoy the same thing

Basically shit tier remixes of 80's pop. Usually slowed down 200%.

I prefer synthwave and new retro as the artists have actual talent.

btw that "ESSENTIALS" chart should most definitely be taken with a grain of salt. A lot of those albums aren't really enjoyable and are instead overrated hipster bullshit.
For example, "Sacred Tapestry - Shader" is an oft-cited top 5 vaporwave albums pick, and I don't personally think it's very good. That and the Macintosh Plus - Floral Shoppe (which is usually recommended as a good starter album) are both by the same artist, a woman from Portland, Oregon, apparently, who uses many names but is most often referred to as Vektroid. Personally, I think the stuff she's released as Vektroid (Color Ocean Road, Neo Cali, Telnet Erotika) are overall better albums. That said Lisa Furanku 420, while having been turned into a stupid meme, is actually a great mix/song and is going to be stuck in your head for a while.

Similarly, I think James Ferraro's "Far Side Virtual" is overrated, Daniel Lopatin's "Eccojams" is alternately annoying and catchy, certain Internet Club albums are nearly impenetrable (aka you'll only be able to enjoy it if you also listen to first-gen industrial or glitch or noise) and the Mediafired album "The Pathway Through Whatever" was recommended to me early on and I think it only has 2 good songs, one of which I still find terribly annoying!

try to find artists you like. Spend a lot of time on youtube channels like Vapor Memory

This.

Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has em

lol you read my mind.

>implying Arcade High or Sferro don't take a steaming shit in the mouth of the whole vaporwave movement

Okay pleb

>vaporwave=pleb taste
wew lad
but thanks for the recommendations I kind of didn't really want to try to dive in to that genre because they all sounded like Kavinsky and everyfucking80sscifioraction movie knockoffs

Got into synthwave about a year or two back, it's got a more relaxing sound to it and has a better flow to it. Definitely less autistic.

>pleb
>being this upset

Vaporwave is as normie as it gets dude

If you say so.

Kool kidz hipsters are on levels we've never witnessed before

>open Audacity
>insert Michael Jackson
>slow down 150-200%
>art

great tips/help - cheers!

youtu.be/b8K1Xf1mQKY this album is NOT autistic

troll harder, nigger

youtu.be/K8Zai5FFaac

>Audacity
>being this upset

Splashes random colors together making autistic paintings.. also art
Get over it

>mom, some guy on the internet doesn't like what I like
High level autism.

>not knowing what upset means.
AriZona tea and weed my dude
P A T H E T I C

>type type type
>being this upset

They never learn

Pls user, I think your autism is contagious, I can feel myself becoming retarded because of your unrestrained fuckery.

I agree. While synthwave might sound like something right out of an 80's sci fi film, at least it's not pretentious and trying to be something it's not.

>While
You just don't get it. What year were you born?

'91

That could explain it. You don't have the same relationship with that technology. Yet you go on badmouthing it.

K E K

I grew up listening to 80"s casettes from my parents.
And no I don't get it.

It's OK not to get it. But don't be a party pooper on everyone else who does.

RIP