I just got into Sonic Youth

I just got into Sonic Youth.

what are your favorite albums and songs by them?

Daydream nation > sister > the rest

Objective

Dirty

Sugar Kane :)

Teenage Riot

Daydream Nation

Schizophrenia

Sister

Titanium Expose

Goo

My favorites are Goo, Daydream Nation, Dirty, and Experimental Jet Set, Trash, and No Star

>Experimental Jet Set
That's a tough one to get into. What are the best songs from that album?

Everything they did in the 80s but especially Daydream Nation

>favourite songs
I Dreamed I Dream
Inhuman
Society Is a Hole
In the Kingdom #19
Green Light
Schizophrenia
The Sprawl
Hey Joni

It's hard to pick favourite songs from DDN because it's so close to being a perfect album.

listen to sonic nurse if youre having trouble getting into them. Once youre in youve got like a dozen albums to explore

also bump

Macbeth

Bull In The Heather, Waist and Androgynous Mind are my favourites

Goo and Daydream Nation have been my two favourites so far, but not listened to all of their albums yet.

Sonic Youth sucks

Am the only one that doesn't enjoy DN that much?
I'm a massive Sonic Youth fan too, but for some reason it's one of my least favourite albums of their's

The Holy Trinity: Evol, Sister and Daydream Nation
Everything from this era is great

Some of my favorites that also are underrated:
Hyperstation
Pipeline/Kill Time
In the Kingdom #19

cross the breeze is the greatest song of all time

sonic nurse or incinerate, great songs nonetheless

Teenage riot, most played in my computer

I like their cover of Thumb.

evol,sister and wahing machine are great the rest is meh

>likes sister
>doesn't like daydream nation, literally the same album but improved in every area
How?

Why is Tunic (Song for Karen) so underrated? That's always been my favorite.

Bad Moon Rising (Death Valley 69)
Goo (Tunic)
Washing Machine (Little Trouble Girl)

>true pleb recommends

you start with Sister and EVOL.

Start at the beginning like you would with any band or artist

Sister is way better than DN

Listen to EVOL and Sister. If you like the weirder shit then go backwards before moving on. If you like the more melodic stuff then listen to Daydream Nation and then keep going forward.

>more straightforward songwriting
>less experimentation
>generally more forgettable songs
>half the length
>somehow better than the masterpiece that is DDN
I will never understand this opinion. Sister is easily the worst of their 80s albums.

thisssssss
Schizophrenia and Kotton Krown are fucking spectacular though but DDN is straight-up perfect.

Teenage Daydream is the only one I go back to year after year.

kek i meant Daydream Nation

Nobody mentioned a thousand leaves but I really like that record, and Murray Street.

>hits of sunshine hnnngg

I could easily just reiterate what everyone else said because DDN, Sister, and Evol truly are some of the best albums of their era, but limiting yourself to those is a mistake, Sonic Youth has one of the most diverse and consistently innovative catalogs available.

You might wanna check out some of their less talked-about albums:

A Thousand Leaves has a lot of post-rock and psychedelic influence, it comes across as pretentious to some because some of the longer songs get a little atonal and disjointed, but isn't that what we came here for? Snare Girl, Wildflower Soul, and Heather Angel are classics

Murray St. has all the crescendos and extended jams that make ATL great, but it's a lot more concise and doesn't have the strange spoken word parts that drive a lot of listeners away. Rain on Tin and Karen Revised are certainly worth a listen.

Finally, Rather Ripped gets overlooked often, because it's their early 2000's "indeh" record. Yet, I've always thought it has a nice, consistent sound with string arrangements that will keep you interested while also being a lot more approachable than some of their other releases. Incinerate gets a lot of shit for being Sonic Youth's "Creep" or "Float On", but I've always liked it.

You're diving into the works of one of the most forward thinking rock bands of all time, so sometimes you'll have to be patient with their music in order to find something you really love.

Daydream Nation, Goo, and Dirty are good accessible albums. Sister, Confusion is Sex, Bad Moon Rising, and Evol are good places to start if you like harsher stuff. In my opinion, Washing Machine is EXTREMELY underrated. One of their best in my book.

Karen Koltrane is really good.

>the only albums I've heard

Their first 5, Washing Machine and Sonic Nurse.

Protect Me You
Society Is A Hole
Expressway To Yr Skull
Stereo Sanctity
Silver Rocket
Junkie's Promise
Pattern Recognition

Sonic Nurse is one of their fucking worst

A Thousand Leaves and Murray Street are both really brilliant, yeah

I think Sonic Nurse hearkens back to the balance of noise and accessibility that Daydream Nation attained. Not quite on that album's level but good enough for me to crown it as their late-era highlight and as one of their overall better albums.

Fair enough, always been my least favourite of their late period 2bh, even beyond NYC G&F

I think opinions towards their post-DN stuff can go either way. Personally I think Goo and Dirty are among their worst and I'm not huge into Murray Street, yet I find A Thousand Leaves, Rather Ripped and even Experimental Jet Set to be fairly underrated. SY's discography is just weird like that.

>he listens to sonic youth
>his favorite song isn't "The empty page"
is Sup Forums even trying?