A mulatto/An albino/A mosquito/My libido/Yeah, hey, yay

>A mulatto/An albino/A mosquito/My libido/Yeah, hey, yay

What message was he trying to convey here?

That lyrics don't matter to make a great catchy tune

He wants that suck.

that writing the vocal melody before the lyrics is a viable way to write a song

A mulatto (dirty)
An albino (whiteness = purity)
A mosquito (dirty)
My libido (purity because mental illness and drug abuse took away his sex drive)

he's describing the crowd of teenagers that are at the show

That lyrics don't matter for a hack and plebeian listeners

it's non-politically charged punk music, who cares about the lyrics?

Kek

>punk

Wtf man

grunge is a combination of "garage" and "punk"
the main punk movement that started was inspired by the London scene, grunge was when the low class Americans started making punk music

That wasn't how it happened.

Nirvana were never "grunge", they were punk.

>the main punk movement that started was inspired by the London scene, grunge was when the low class Americans started making punk music
here's your (you)

It's noise rock

A great song is still great if it has shit lyrics
A shit song is still shit if it has great lyrics

Nirvana Bleach was fucking grunge

Nevermind was Pop Punk with grunge influences

In Utero was Noise Rock.

They don't sound very noisy though on in utero because of the Steve Albini mix being fucked off by some other dude who mixed it

/A mosquito/My libido/

he was talking about his tiny penis?

>i know nothing about punk music the post

Both of these. Also, if you think lyrics are more important than the music then you are an absolute pleb. You're like the 16 year old girl who loves Country music because she "can relate to the lyrics so much!!!"

How exactly do lyrics not matter expect in politically charged songs? Dylan's Like A Rolling Stone, It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), Mr. Tambourine Man aren't songs with political messages and those are some of his most popular and influential songs.

Not true for all genres. Folk, hip hop, emo, the lyrics can make or break a song

This is laughably wrong, no great song has shit lyrics

I think you're reading more into it than he did.

Except*

politically charged PUNK music

Do you want me to tell you how I know you haven't listened to folk, folk/rock?

>What message was he trying to convey here?

That you can use nonsensical and throwaway lyrics and still become the voice of a generation.

That's the issue with In Utero. The music is still great but Cobain either started buying into the idea that he was a deep poet or he felt pressure by the media and fans labeling him as such to start writing more serious lyrics.

He had some decent lines "Self appointed judges judge more than they have sold" but also some garbage "I tried hard to have a father but instead I had a dad" or "What else can I say? Everyone is gay"

All right. And given that punk was a disingenuous movement and more of a marketing strategy with bands trying to cash in on a growing trend, I'd argue that lyrics in punk aren't at all important.

>treating "nonsensical and throwaway lyrics" i.e. absurdist poetry as some sort of pejorative
Did you just get into music yesterday?

>nonsensical lyrics
>who is Bob Dylan, the voice of a generation

>9 minute song
>3 chords
>tells a story

That can be fun every now and then. But that one niche little style doesn't matter much. And it's objectively shit music.

I think you literally missed the ENTIRE point of my post. But ok

that you can come as you are

Ok. Cobain proved it wasn't a fluke

yeah guess I did. I don't agree with those lines being garbage though.

>you can OCCASIONALLY use nonsensical and throwaway lyrics and still become the voice of a generation.
Fixed it for ya. Kurt Cobain's lyrics as a whole aren't nonsensical and throwaway at all. Even the song discussed in this thread has pretty meaningful lyrics apart from that intentionally nonsensical chorus.
>but also some garbage "I tried hard to have a father but instead I had a dad" or "What else can I say? Everyone is gay"
These lines are good, you just don't understand them.

I don't think they're garbage. I think they're nonsensical and what I mean by "throwaway" is that it's very likely they came off the top of his head and where many other artists would use them as place holders until they come up with something better (and throw them away) he just kept them because they fit the melody well.

Ultimately every lyricist goes about things differently but I get what you're trying to say

mulatto - dark
albino - light
mosquito - small
libido - big

Emo lyrics are almost universally garbage. Who listens to emo for some pointless whining?

that's literally the only reason to listen to emo. it's crywankery. otherwise you could just listen to pop punk or math rock

I love how Kurt legitimately made a song about Heroin and when Journalists and other people kept asking him about what On a plain ment he would be like "I don't know"

For a while after this song came out I thought he was saying a mulatto/ An albino/ I'ma scared of/ my libido.

I kind of liked it better that way.

>a mulatto (black and white) an albino (with out pigment). that mean there is no difference from black or white. then a mosquito (small and one time to suck blood and it dies) my libido (kurts sex drive compared to a mosquitos life span)
>Source(s):
>courtney love released kurts diary about 8 years ago. its clear in there about the mulatto and albino but only aludes to the mosquito and libido

Pretty sure mosquitoes can suck blood however many times they want, they're not bee's man.