ITT: Directors that have already peaked and made there magnum opus so the rest of thier career is all downhill from...

ITT: Directors that have already peaked and made there magnum opus so the rest of thier career is all downhill from there

im only going to list ones clearly going in the wrong direction, both artistically and career wise

nicolas winding refn (only god forgives)
francis ford coppola (apocalypse now) - JUST
sofia coppola (lost in translation)
john carpenter (the thing)
john mctiernan (die hard)
kathryn bigelow (strange days artistically, the hurt locker for meme reception)
james cameron (terminator 2)
tarsem singh (the fall)
terrence malick (to the wonder)
the coen brothers (tie between barton fink, no country for old men, and fargo)
neil blomkamp (district 9)
ridley scott (blade runner) - been a long ride down
darren aronofsky (the fountain)
danny boyle (sunshine)
joss whedon (the avengers, and from a smaller perspective he won't outdo much ado about nothing)

>sofia coppola (lost in translation)

marie antwan was good

agreed, and i actually prefer it. lost in translation was a better movie though, despite being wong kar-wai for retards.

OGF is Nick's only and grandest kino though

Zack Snyder - Watchmen.

Is this correct?

its his best movie, but he's such a fratboy savant that his magnum opus is actually pic related.

not true.

still leaning towards magnolia, and i know many who passionately argue for the master. i can even see an argument for inherent vice, especially since it could be interpreted as a clear sign of an evolving style. he's not done yet and despite my lack of caring about him, he's a great and consistent filmmaker with a lot to go. doesn't belong in this thread.

I'd probably agree. I really like his Dawn of the Dead too though. Everything else is worthless.

Snyder would have to make a movie worth a damn first

It is very hard for me to imagine him making a movie better than this ome

Only God Forgives < Valhalla Rising

valhalla rising was boring as fuck, too arthouse for me

Nigga Only God Forgives was also very arthouse, it just had neon lights.

havent seen it, is it worth a watch?

It's not a by any means a bad movie. It sort of marketed itself as a similar movie to Drive, but it's very different. I just prefer Valhalla Rising. If you're going to watch Valhalla, use a sound system or good headphones; its audio direction is fantastic

guy you quoted here.

valhalla rising is #2 and its very close. ogf is a slightly "more" refn movie though.

I guess I can't really argue that thb senpai. They're both damn good though