Post you synth inspiations.

>What's a VCO?
Read a fucking book.
archive.org/details/ElectronicMusicSystemsTechniquesAndControlsByAllenStrange

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QbxaWluHXEU&t=467s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synth1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There is a Roland String Synth (RS-202) for sale near me for $150, but according to the guy it won't turn on anymore. It is also missing a key. Is it worth buying and repairing? I need advice Sup Forums

If you're confident you can repair it yourself, than yes; if not, no.

There's a university in my city that is fucking decked in synths. I'm allowed to use them whenever I want.

what's the university?

That's cool. What have they got. My city as a synth club where you can pay $10 a month and use all their eurorack shit as long as you schedule a time before someone else.

yeah I don't think I will. I emailed a local synth repair shop and they estimated $150-300 (CAD) in repairs depending on the severity. not worth it imo

>setup
micromoog, etherwave plus, and a SQ-1
>wishlist
4-track recorder and a reel-to-reel for delay. Plus more cables. Can't have enough cables.
>inspirations
Nightcrawlers and Dave Jones as of right now.

>Meme tier Setup
Teenage engineering OP-1 and PO-12, Make Noise 0-Cost, Ableton, Midi Keyboard/sequencer
> Wishlist
Some kind of Self-contained modular system. Looking at Verbos Composition, Make Noise Shared System, and the Buchla Easel
>Current inspirations
Burial, Charles Cohen, Mort Garson, Morton Subotnikm, Arthur Russel

I ain't telling. It's in Zurich, Switzerland though.

So many. The most impressive ones I used were the ARP 2600, minimoog, polymoog, Doepfer A-100, an EMS VCS 3, a compact Oberheim OB-X, and what I think was a Korg MS-20. They also have a really nice mellotron M300 that I love to use.

Got myself a Nord Modular G1, the fuck have I gotten myself into

>the fuck have I gotten myself into
Fun.

Dont know too much about modulars, how do you play a modular synth that isnt hooked up to a keyboard

It does seem very versatile that's for sure, the editor software makes it seem like the sky is the limit

Either you're controlling your modular system with a keyboard through a midi interface that converts the midi to control voltage and a gate signal, or with a cv and gate output directly. In either case these are the same types of signals that the modules are sending between each other (it should be said that gate isn't some inherently different thing from control voltage as well). So the gate from the keyboard generally tells an envelope generator to start it's cycle, and the cv tells the oscillator what note to play. This same sort of thing can achieved with a sequencer module, or even just one oscillator modulating the frequency of another. There are many ways to create conventional melodies in a modular system without a keyboard.

Here is good video explaination of what you want to know I think:
youtube.com/watch?v=QbxaWluHXEU&t=467s
He does use an external sequencer at a point but this isn't somehow fundamentally different than a sequencer module.

Where do I start lads?

I'm into /bleep/ but more experimental stuff like Jan Jelinek.

Give me a budget and I'll rec you some gear.

Is buying a sequencer worth it. I would love to get analog equipment but a sequencer seems like a pain in the ass.

My sq1 works great with my micromoog.

They are like $100. Stick two of them together and you can do a lot

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synth1

would it be a sin if I bought a synth and just used my phone as a drum machine

this thread should be merged into /prod/

most of the people who have hardware have synths and pretty much everyone there uses softsynths

No, do whatever you want. The important think is to make music not be a 100% analog/hardware synth hipster.

/prod/ is a far broader topic. That is like saying any thread about any sort of electronic music should be merged into /bleep/.

I suppose but I'm not looking to talk about production. I'm talking about synths. It may be an electronic instrument but that doesn't necessarily mean it's prod-related.

$200 - 300 right now, as I'm in between jobs

bump

Korg volca sample/volca bass, teenage engineering po-12 all used

thanks

I have a Yamaha CS6x and an Alesis Ion. The Alesis has better synth sounds. The drum machine sounds on the Yamaha are still nice.