ITT: Times you tried to show normies Sup Forums-core and it totally failed

I'll start: Was finally invited to a party for once a year ago before I became a total recluse and stopped going out. Decided after being on Sup Forums for a few years I wanted to impress some chads and show 'em how cool I was by showing them my superior taste in la musique. I was offered the aux cord after a couple hours so I put on Radiohead and then Swans. Everyone there looked at me strange and asked me to turn it off. As I was super embarrassed, I just said it was experimental and that they wouldn't understand and proceeded to stop talking the rest of the night and never was invited to another party.

>be 18
>in gym class
>need a workout song for laps
>put on guillotine
>teacher looks at me like wtf and says to shut it off
>the assistant teacher starts headbanging
>mfw

K E K

Haha oh man. This story seems like it's embarrassing, but you know it's not because chads suck anyway and who cares what they think

lol! true

Why would you show them mu core. Just show them what you like irrespective of the plebs on your hugbox. And show them something that you think they will like too. Otherwise don't care what they think.

>this thread

how else will i feel superior like a true patrician? Ha!funny joke man, but if its no mu-accepted than its porbably trash

I didn't try showing normies my music, but this story still works

>be me
>Senior year of high school
>In my financial class
>Pack my stuff up in my bag while waiting for the school bell to ring so I can walk my ass home
>Put on my headphones
>Go to my music library on my phone
>Pick Swans: Freak
>Volume is lower than I usually have it so I put it up
>Still sounds low then I noticed my headphones weren't plugged in
>By the time I stop the song the damage was already done.
>Everyone looked at me with disgust
>"user, what the fuck are you listen to?"

Never in my life have I been that embarrassed. I haven't listen to Filth in years because I'll just cringe from the thought of that moment.

My worst nightmare

I don't know which of these two is worse
>Sup Forumstants repeatedly tout the fact that bands like Radiohead and Death Grips are too "weird" for normies, implying that they're only listening to them for the novelty
>Sup Forumstants think Death Grips and fucking Radiohead are obscure

>in hike school
>teacher says we can put on some music for an activity
>"I've got a CD with me" (back in the age of CDs)
>Portishead, PNYC
>by the third song, "user, this music is making me very tense. I'm gonna turn it off now."

Another:
>in Music Appreciation in college
>professor designated a day for people to share their music
>I bring Mars Volta. Plan to show my favorite song, Eriatarka, but decide on Drunkship of Lanterns since everyone likes it
>for some reason, the speaker system entirely canceled out whole parts of the song
>no one is into it, song sounds terrible and incomplete
>"Anyone else?" - professor
>"...does it have to be like, weird and stuff?"

>I haven't listen to Filth in years because I'll just cringe from the thought of that moment

fuck i hate when that happens, there are several albums i can't listen to because it reminds of how i used to a cringey betafag

>high school
>listening to Liumin by Echospace
>girl (that I thankfully already didn't like) asks me what I'm listening to
>show her
>"oh that's just gym music"

>normies at work talking about music
>they assume I like rock because I'm white, pale and quiet
>I say that I like alternative hip hop, trip hop and experimental electronic music
>they go "what? really? I thought you would be a rock guy"
>put on some Gorillaz
>they find it weird

I put on Loveless at a party and people got pissed

did they know it was gorillaz? they probably only thought it was weird because they think you're weird. normies can be fickle

They don't know Gorillaz. Most people don't.

t. Brazil

I wear Burzum, Ulver, and Bathory shirts often shirts often, everyone I know knows I listen to weird fucking music and I know they don't like it. I still play shit I like when I'm around my normie friends, and guess what? They're still my friends. People don't dislike you cause of your "advanced" music tastes, they dislike you cause you're a faggot.

*The band shirts were just to show that I dont dress like a normie and normies still like me. Doesn't matter cause I make up bullshit excuses Everytime I'm invited to anything cause fuck

you're so cool user

Thanks brah XD burgers on me

Whenever something like this happens to me I just mention that they've won a grammy, and if they're like most normies they suddenly feel like they're missing out on something popular. I've done this with Syro multiple times and never had bad results. Don't do it in a snobbish way though, just subtly act like you're kind of surprised they haven't heard it before.

but what if they haven't won a grammy

Hasn't really happened to me because I don't play Swans or Death grips at a party because I've been to a fucking party before

Ever notice how every fucking normie loves rap lately

it's been a thing for awhile user, you can thank ((((Them))))

It's the most depressing thing ever to play a song you love in front of a friend or acquaintance that just doesn't get it. Sometimes they give you the half-hearted "if I listened to it more I bet I'd like it" but fact is if you can't find the appeal in a good song the first time you've heard it you probably don't even know how to listen to it

I put Loveless on in my room and my best friend's girl asked me why I was listening to Evanescence

Haven't done many music faux pas but I've had a few times where I exposed my power level in film

say they did anyway

Just try to give a "Really? They're actually pretty popular". If for some reason they care enough to argue bring up lastfm stats (which I know aren't an accurate gauge of artist popularity, but when BoC has more listeners than Kendrick you could at least use it in a pinch).

>If for some reason they care enough to argue bring up lastfm stats

you don't actually talk to people do you?

Lots, I've never done this but I had the idea. No one fucking cares enough to argue though so looking back I don't even know why I posted.

okay i'll keep that in mind

>At work
>Get phone call from my best friend
>"user, our friend is getting married today and the DJ bailed can you do it?"
>fuckyeah.jpg
>Work on a playlist for two hours of good dance tunes, both slow jams and rump shakers
>There's some not-so-pleb-friendly songs
>But pretty much the most dance-able playlist ever
>Guaranteed booty shaking or money back
>Get to the location
>Friend who is getting married is named Jess
>She's a landwhale with no taste
>"user thanks so much for the short notice! You're a life saver
>No problem bb I got chu
>Plug in laptop
>First song comes on
>Archie Marry Me by Alvvays
>Crowd starts to bob their heads
>Mostly old cuntry folk and young people from the ages of 13 to late 20's
>Heads are bobbing
>Jess walks over
>"user that song was really pretty. Keep it low key for a while. I'll tell you when to kick it up."
>thumbsup.gif
>God Only Knows comes on and old folk are smiling
>Guy dressed up in a FUCKING MEDEVAL TUNIC I SHIT YOU NOT
>Curly red hair and probably hasn't seen a naked woman before
>"Uh excuse me, but this music is too loud and it's not very good"
>I stare this scrub down
>"Have you ever heard the Beach Boys before? That's who this is" I tell him
>"Well it's still too loud. You're a bad DJ"
>"Sorry M'Lord, I'll keep that in mind"
>Keep playing slow stuff with bad looks from the cuck

Part 2 following

Also my college roommate said my music was weird a bunch of times when I was playing shit like Burial or Portishead.

I chose to abstain from playing stuff like Swans and Death Grips on a speaker

Advanced normies are close to catching on to DG and Swans level stuff desu

But they will never like noise

>Jess walks over to me after a half hour
>"Okay user, let's get this party started"
>I knew exactly which song to throw on to do so
>Grab the microphone
>"Hey everyone! I'm your DJ tonight and it's time to get this party started! Let's get down to some classics!"
>Love Shack starts up
>Booties start shaking
>My best friend walks up to me
>Let's say his name is Pete
>Gives me a beer
>"These are free"
>Best payment ever
>After a few classics, throw on Frontier Psychiatrist
>Young kids love the fuck out of it
>Cuntry folk and M'Lord are obviously hating the song
>M'Lord walks up
>"This song is so irritating and the old folks think it's disgusting"
>"That's great M'Lord. If you don't like it you can fucking leave."
>Walks away after I crank it up a few notches
>Throw on Rock Lobster
>I'm now 4 Jello shots down with a few beers in me
>That's about enough for me to start dancing
>My best friend, Jess, and all the young people are getting down Rock Lobster
>Dance floor is hopping
>Get back up to my laptop to an angry crowd of drunk old women
>They demand I throw on The Electric Slide
>Ummm no
>They tell Jess and she forces me to put it on
>I put it on and the group of women all drunkenly start doing the dance
>GROSS
>Throw on Disclosure's "When A Fire Starts to Burn"
>Young people going ham-bone dinner on the floor
>I'm going apeshit on the dance floor
>Old group is fed up
>They tell Jess to kick me out
>She reluctantly tells me to go
>She tells me I can't be paid as there isn't any money for me
>Offers me mac and cheese and strawberries as payment
>That's a deal I'm willing to take any day
>Before I leave I put on my last song
>*Glass breaks*
>IT'S SO FUCKING DARK IN HERE
>Old people are furious and terrified
>Best friend is dying with laughter
>Jess is red faced and mad
>M'Lord is looking like he's about to beat me with his LARPIng sword
>I unplug and bounce, taking a beer for the road

Best and only DJ gig I ever did. Worth the mac and cheese and strawberries

Death Grips i can see, I've played Guillotine and I want it I need it a few times and some have found it cool

Less sure about Swans since I mainly listen to their older albums

Obscure means nothing. The only reason Radiohead are huge is the internet. They would be a mostly european thing if Americans didnt find out about them via the internet. Death Grips nor Radiohead by a hipster definiton, but if you admit this then you admit you're a hipster too, but by a mainstream definition Death Grips is more obscure than Radiohead and even the avergae person don't know who Radiohead is.

>be walking around campus with friends
>friends say "Hey user, wanna go with us to get food?"
>fuck yeah
>we get in the car to go to Wendy's
>I have passenger seat since I'm navigating
>friend who's driving says "Ok user, here's the aux cable. Don't play something trippy."
>by "trippy" he means anything ranging from SMiLE to shoegaze
>decide to play Be My Baby by The Ronettes
>drums kick in
>then the piano
>friend looks at me weirdly
>"user, what is this bullshit?"
>Huh
>"Is this country? I don't like it. Take it off."
>we haven't even reached the hook yet...
>"Give me the goddamn aux."
>he gives it to my other friend
>"Here, play some REAL music!"
>they other friend plays AC/DC
>driving friend says "See user? This is GOOD music!"

I swear to fucking God my friends are insufferable.

Your fault m8.

This never happened, and if it did, it's too embellished to be the real events

>18 year old cutie
>You like weird music user

>FUCK

There are plenty of good party appropriate artists you can play. Depending on the song I would guess Radiohead would be one of them but I guess not. What did you play?

Really? DG I agree with but Isn't Creep played on the radio all the time? I know that's not a good representation of the band but I'm surprised people wouldn't know who they are just from that.

>be the person that is me
>normie friends asks me dj at party
>*challenge accepted*
>go to party late
>everyone having decent, but I want to kick it up a notch
>puts on Merzbow
>everyone stands still amd looks at me
>friend: "gosh darn it user! You can't play harsh noise at a party, these people want to dance"
>mfw
Why do normies not get music?

This thread made me realize that I have no friends I'd be willing to talk about my music preferences with

Not exactly Sup Forums core but this one sticks out

>At school
>Hey QT had just come out and I was addicted
>"What are ya listening to user?"
>Takes my headphones and starts to listen
>"Are you gay?"

Fuck that's a great song

No, he's right. Whenever people ask me what my favorite music is I usually try to list of things that I think most average people know. I stopped listing Radiohead to anyone under 30 because I got so many
>"What? Who are they?"
>"Do they make rap?"
Creep is their only song people really know of now.

...well? What song was it! If it's actually THAT GOOD, then post what song it is and we'll tell you whether or not it makes you homosexual

I tried to get all my friends into queen Bjork but just couldn't

It's funny because she's not even inaccessible for the most part, but still they're all terribly weirded out by her music

Not him but The song is called hey qt, dumbass

>>the assistant teacher starts headbanging

AC/DC is better than the Ronettes tho

First /mtv/, now /m9u/?
April Fools is over dammit
>wtf is my captcha

surprised she even would have heard dub techno, like what... she listens to echospace detroit in the gym? lol

im chad and radiohead is trash

When I drive i put whatever i feel like, and if the people dont like it i just dont give a fuck, they usually dont comply

I was pretty suprised about my sister liking Strawberry Jam and MPP but not Late Registration

Anyway, i try to put Sup Forumssic that i expect they will like

basically every post in this thread and every other similar one like it in a nutshell
except this one i liked this one

>showed bar girl my dick, got barred

>Young people going ham-bone dinner on the floor
>IT'S SO FUCKING DARK IN HERE
>M'Lord is looking like he's about to beat me with his LARPIng sword

this post was a fucking goldmine

>Going camping with a few mates
>I spend a while putting together a big playlist for the trip
>Make sure I get some patrish tunes that are also accessible eg: Gorillaz, Avalanches, Girl Talk, Tame Impala and also some of the top 40 stuff I know my friends would like
>Pretty proud of it
>15 minutes after we start the road trip
>Everyones enjoying the playlist
>This one nu-male friend (I didn't invite him) isn't
>When Frontier Psychiatrist comes on he calls it shit and "Not real music"
>Everyone else in the car thinks its a solid jam
>Throws a fucking tantrum because he's not enjoying the playlist, demands to play his songs
>He loads up Blackbear on Spotify and starts playing his songs
>For the rest of the drive there we're listening to Blackbear
>He repeats so many of his hit songs instead of just listening to an album or putting on something different
>He thinks everyone else is enjoying it
>For the rest of the trip, he does this every time he's not enjoying my playlist

sounds fucked, he didn't really make a scene about that though did he?

Assuming this is real, who's the nu-male, him for being a whiny bitch, or you for caving to his "demands" when he was outnumbered 3 or 4 to 1?

thats why when i drive im the one in charge, i may give some power over the music to the copilot but he just choses the cd since thats the only thing can be played
perks of having an old car whitout aux chord

>my class has a thing where people play music and people give them points then we see who wins
>play giving bad people good ideas
>i have already said to my friend what im gonna play
>people seem weirded out
>smirking.jpg
>ed sheeran wins
>get the last place
>picrelated

well atleast I got a good laugh out of it

Driver should always have veto-rights

Similar thing happened to me with my flatmates. Was playing Godspeed You! on a speaker and one of them asked me what the fuck I was listening to. Pretty sure that person has told me that they only listen to the Top 40, a mindset I will never understand.

>Earlier this year
>Retarded tranny friend comes back to NY metro area suburbs
>Me and my best friend pick them up
>Go out to get lunch with a bunch of people
>Just the 3 of us on the drive back
>Friend hands me his phone and asks me to throw some music on
>Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains
>Best friend is excited
>Retarded tranny is an EDM pleb
>MFW me and my best friend are screaming out the lyrics to Acid Song as we fly down a NJ highway while the tranny sits awkwardly in the back seat

I'm always dumbfounded when that happens to me. I have listened to this sort of music for so long that I don't see it as strange.

>teacher leaves the room
>put on some Burial while we read our assignment
>teacher, to whom is super hot, comes back and says "this sounds like forever 21 music"

the fact that it was a tranny was irrelevant

>put on some Burial while we read our assignment
You, you who would subject others to unsolicited music, you are the worst.

The four numbers terminating your post look really, really similar to each other.

>show dad Trout Mask Replica
>"Are you sure they aren't just really bad?"

FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF NORMIE NIGGER FAGGOT

It's my story you dumb chode I'll say what I want

I just show them some memerap or edgy pop/r&b like blackbear or gnash

lol, which song did you show him

I like blackbear

>At housewarming
>Put on some Frankie Knuckles
>user, it's too sexual

I suppose. I just don't get the appeal of Top 40 trash though, I know its a generalisation but most of it sounds the same.

H9/10 this is why I started browsing here in the first place

>friend hands me the aux
>office I work in plays music from Spotify and a speaker and QT co worker asks me to put something on
>pretty much exclusively listen to emo, or white boy rap shit like meme grips or bones
>panic and pick Oasis

Everybody seems to be fine with Oasis. People probably think I'm a big fan but they're literally just an anchor

not really, he just whined about the music like a bitch and changed it without even asking me first.
eh, my friends didnt really mind what we listened to. it was more just about having a good time and less about the music so they weren't too bothered by what we played. it bothered me but i didnt want to make a big deal out of it bc i knew that he'd always want it his way and i didnt want to be salty about it the whole trip.

Radiohead is one thing. Why the fuck did you play Swans though? What songs did you play? At least try to play something accessible to normies m8. I mean, don't completely pander, but you can't just play totally off the wall stuff either and not expect to get weird looks.

Is Swans really inaccessible? I feel as if any normie could enjoy something off of their 80's albums, maybe White Light..., Love of Life, and To Be Kind as well

>in art class
>put on untitled 2 by Kendrick Lamar
>they literally thought that was too weird
>they changed it to some pop punk or something
>brothersport comes on the radio
>they are all like "whaaaat is thiiiiiiiis"
>I was actually proud of them because they made it to the WOP WOP WOP WOP part before changing it

I showed a friend Peter Brotzmann one time mostly as a joke and she said "this sounds like me after I've had Nandos"

Well that's why I'm asking what songs he played. I'm wondering if he at least played something more accessible by them. Or just went full sperg and played something from fucking Filth.

Filth would probably be one of your best bets to offer to a normie. Anything but post-92' Swans and Public Castration should be fine.

This was a bizarre but enjoyable post.

She sounds alright