Saxophone vs Violin

Hey Sup Forums, I'm a piano player and I've been thinking about getting a new instrument. I've narrowed down my choices to a saxophone or violin.
Which one does Sup Forums think is better?

I prefer violin as it works well for a lot more different styles, but it really depends on the style of music you want to make

Violin. Easily. Sax kinda loses its luster without other engaging instrumentation to back it up.

I've heard the same thing about the violin though, they said that to play violin I need to join an orchestra otherwise the violin is boring Is that true or just bs?

Personally, I disagree. Not an expert, but I also think you can attempt a much broader range of styles with a violin, as well.

What type of music do you intend to play? From a classical perspective I'd say violin, blues/jazz/some rock go with the sax. Of course if you like bluegrass or southern rock violin would be the obvious choice.

I like both classical and jazz, that's why this is a hard choice for me. I'm considering going for violin since I already play jazz piano and my brother has a saxophone.
I usually hate having the same things as him.

if you don't get the violin you're a fool

I'm leaning towards the violin atm

Honestly get a Euphonium best instrument. But seriously get a saxophone, violin is abhorrent as a solo instrument and can't play outside of classical and string quartets.

What happened to you saxophone? You used to be cool man.

What awful advice

get a cello

saxophone is the easiest wind instrument

If you get good there are a lot of stylistic things you can do with a violin to give it more depth. Played for about a decade and one of my favorite things was getting really good at a solo piece.

Violin is the better instrument but depending on your living situation your neighbours might murder you.

I've hard that violin has a steeper learning curve if that helps.

Violin if you plan to get lessons
Sax if you don't

get a viola

Saxophone no question. Saxophone might be boring without accompaniment, but violin is boring in every application. You can even play violin parts on the sax if you use circular breathing. Try playing a sax part on a violin without sounding retarded.

the problem here is that sax always sounds retarded
get a clarinet. or a guitar like normal people.
>BLEEEEEEEEE EEEEK BLEEEEEEEE ROTROTROT

What can the clarinet do that the soprano sax can't?
Besides, if we're expanding our choices the trumpet is the obvious answer. Name a genre in which a trumpet would seem out of place. There aren't that many.

>What can the clarinet do that the soprano sax can't?
sound good, have proper dynamics, saxophones are basically on/off. they were made to sound as loud as possible.

>string fags

You've only heard shitty sax players, user

Saxophone is just not a nice sounding instrument. Boring overtones, very simple sound. It was made to compete with drums and loud orchestras, this is obsolete today because microphones.

Isn't the sax louder?

I was thinking intonation.

What about violin with one lesson every second week?

that will work. violin is really hard and uncomfortable to get in. keep practicing and be happy about small achievements when you start. it will take you at least half a year before you can play the first tune that is not a simple child song. it is very rewarding though, violin is one of the most expressive instruments.

Thanks man, I'll do that
nice dubs btw

>525
KV525 is the catalog no. for Eine Kleine Nachtmusik.

It's meant to be that you get violin lessons.

haha, one day I'll play that, one day.

In spite of its ubiquity, it's a really good piece and fun to play.