Iggy Pop/ The Stooges Thread

Figured I'd give this a try and holy heck it sounds absolutely nothing like what I pictured it being, first time listening to anything by Iggy Pop, have yet to try the Stooges. I know the rest of their albums are supposed to be a lot harsher so what are they like? How quickly does Pop decline in quality over the albums?

Iggy Pop's The Idiot doesn't really sound like The Stooge's discography in my opinion.
Pop's quality declines shortly after Lust for Life, he has some good tracks here and there between albums but nothing completely worthwhile until last year's Post-Pop Depression.

The only good records Iggy ever made were The Stooges S/T and Fun House

The Idiot is more of a Bowie album than a Iggy album
>The Idiot is not the GOAT

It's not. Sorry Bowiefag. Grow some balls and listen to the Stooges.

I love the fucking stooges
Fun House>Raw Power (Iggy Mix)>The Stooges>Raw Power (Bowie Mix)

Still The Idiot is a perfect fucking album and better than any bowie album

Lust For Life>The Idiot
Come at me

I love the guitar tones on LFL and the songs are noticeably better and more pop, but I love The Idiot for its atmosphere and experimental / art rock approach

Hijacking thread

I just heard pic related the other day and thought it was pretty boring outside of L.A. Blues, which was amazing.

I know it's like proto punk but I think I just don't care for the garage rock sound. Feels just fruitless to me, like there's no point at all. amazing album cover though

Should I listen to Iggy solo stuff or try more Stooges? Raw Power looks good from the outside looking in

>The Idiot is more of a Bowie album than a Iggy album
wew, this again

Fuck me I forgot the image

Start with The stooges s/t - ron aeshton s a fucking god on this album with his guitar playing.
If you fuck with the s/t, listen to fun house - another incredible album. Then finally listen to Raw power where the real badass is james williamson.
Honestly, iggy is an okay front man. Howeverm, the true stars in the stooges are the Aeshton brothers and James williamson

I've always had similar feelings toward this one. You need to give Raw Power a listen, thats the true GOAT and has the energy you're probably missing in this one

Listen to Raw Power. Not the bowie mix tho.

Yeah I always thought iggy was shit but the two bowie albums + the stooges trilogy are all gold, one of the best frontmen in music when he has the right writers/production behind him.

>ok front man
What? Do you mean ok vocalist? Because his singing with the stooges wasn't great his voice was better on his solo albums but Iggy Pop is the single greatest rock star and showman to ever live, bar none. Lou Reed doesn't even hold a candle to Iggy IMO. Iggy was the real deal, absolutely no pretending.

The Stooges S/T is not bad, but their next two records are among the greatest rock albums ever made.

can you explain why it isn't more of a Bowie album?

Because everything on the album is equal parts Iggy and Bowie, the notion that Bowie did all the writing and sent shit off for Iggy to write some lyrics to is bullshit.
There was a lot of spitballing and happy accidents coming from both of them, and ultimately Iggy had final say on everything on the album and made Bowie's material his own.

Thanks for the explanation friend

>Poor Jim, in a way, became a guinea pig for what I wanted to do with sound. I didn't have the material at the time, and I didn't feel like writing at all. I felt much more like laying back and getting behind someone else's work, so that album was opportune, creatively
Read the liner notes on the compilation sound+vision you pleb

S/T is ok, Fun House and Raw Power are really excellent, RP one of my all time favorites.
>How quickly does Pop decline in quality over the albums?
A lot of people say that after new values he gets bad, I call bullshit because he has a lot of good albums after that-zombie birdhouse (which is different), Blah blah blah which is great pop record, American Ceaser (excellent and many consider his return to form).
I would suggest to try all yourself, but The Idiot is the best I think, his greatest

So what is the best way to start exploring Iggy/the Stooges discography?

Listen to The Stooges disog then Lust for Life, then Post pop depression. The Idiot is another thing, more part of the bowie berlin period

So chronilogically? Like:

Stooges
Funhouse
Raw Power
Lust For Life
Post-Pop Depression

Yeah. Also make sure that raw power is the iggy pop 97' mix not the original bowie mix

>make sure that raw power is the 2012 vinyl master
fixed

True

Fix your reading comprehension you pleb

Good tip - it appears there is a significant difference between original Bowie mix and 97 Iggy re-mix. Of course, that make me kinda want to hear them both.

Trips of absolute unarguable truth

you can like more than one thing

Raw Power and Metallic K.O. are the best Iggy/Stooges album and Kill City is his best solo album.

Of course that's not to take anything away from the first Stooges album or Funhouse as they are equally as important and enjoyable.

After you've listened to those then you can move on to The Idiot and Lust for Life.

It's amazing how wrong you are

never start with stooges s/t, it's a comparatively weak album

Literally this