Do you use subtitles and have you ever used them to learn languages?

Do you use subtitles and have you ever used them to learn languages?

no, im not autistic. Who in the world puts in that much effort when watching a flick

I learned a lot of danish from subtitles

>wanting to read a movie

>>>/reddit/

I'm deaf. I don't have much choice.

>this summons the cunnyposter

Do you use to assisted subtitles with things like [SOUND OF DOOR BANGING] like you would know what a door sounds like or even what it means to hear the words "I love you" without retarded hand signals

this wouldn't work user. i mean you could read it sure but you wouldn't be able to speak it or understand it

They help learning

I've been watching subbed anime for 12 years and I guarantee you'll learn more in a few weeks of language class.

Fast spoken cartoons probably wont help at all, and the subtitles for those are probably shit

ONIII CHAN SUCKKU DIKKRYY IM A PONY SAN

Plus one can't really make anything about the japanese alphabet watching anime.

Subs are usually spot on if it's a good provider but the main issue for not learning through subs is that you never bother committing the words to memory because you're focusing on both the subs and the scene. Don't get me wrong I still picked up basic sentences and phrases but it's not an efficient way to learn.

What you should do is learn a language through another means like a class or an audio tape and watch the shows/movies ignoring the subtitles until they say something that doesn't make sense to you and read the subs to find out and learn it.

i learned english that way

I'm not a native english speaker so I watch everything with english subtitles in case I don't catch a name, location or weird expressions.

Like, if a character is called Bryant and non-sub plebs will call will Brian because they are dumb as shit

Subtitles are seldom very literal so they're not actually that useful for learning a language.

HELLO WESTON SUPER MARE

In cases like that subs and google are needed. Hopefully I will turn both british and murikan at some point.

I see you never had to learn a second language.

En tiennyt, että Sup Forumsssä on näin paljon suomalaisia.

I'm quite far along with French. I read near-fluently but still have some trouble with the spoken word

When I watch French films with subtitles I find that it doesn't really help me because I end up focusing on the subtitles in order to enjoy the film, and since they rarely match the words I just end up missing most of that. It's more educational but less enjoyable to just dive in without subtitles and pause/rewind occasionally to figure things out

You should watch french movies with french subtitles, watching with english sutbtitles to learn french doesn't make any sense.

What?

Turn text to speech, subtitles are not for you

What

I use subtitles for all films that are not in my native tongue (English).