/daily/ - eye emoji edition

The point of these threads is to critically analyse musical traditions from all over the world, including the western pop canon, and perform discourse on the topic. This discourse shapes what is allowed to be discussed and who is allowed to take part. As a shibboleth against lowbrows, the highest caliber of dank memes is used as communication. By doing this, we can create a utopia for true music lovers and colonise the planet, solar system, and galaxy. Every single utterance here is broadcast wirelessly, somewhere, some time, and will as such be launched into the infinity of thoughts.

Links:
neverendingchartrendering.org/
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
discord.gg/8exuEmG

previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0RpdPzJgaBw
open.spotify.com/album/3Y5G1VvWG5n658gJDpvaXS
youtube.com/watch?v=7FgH4JKzmEk
youtube.com/watch?v=3bmqvRzBteQ
youtube.com/watch?v=dvWkfyMyt00
youtube.com/watch?v=1B70BhVVjDg
youtube.com/watch?v=WoMFF5tLiL8
youtube.com/watch?v=plsT3v5tlg4
youtube.com/watch?v=jguvUHepISU
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ronald_shannon_jackson_and_the_decoding_society/mandance/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_terminals/uncoffined/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for ded thread

second for ded thred

Third for Latin music

fourth for late listenalong rebew

>Cuban Carnival
>Tito is Puerto Rican
What did he mean by this?

Sorry for being a bit late triangle, I work long-ass wagecuck shifts on weekends.

Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane
>East Coast Hip-Hop, Boom Bap
I have to agree with the general consensus here: This is absolutely awesome at times (i.e. the famous tracks like Rae and Ain't No Half-Steppin'), but the majority of the tracks aren't *that* great. And though I generally think older hip-hop has its own clunky charm when it comes to production, it does not mesh well with Kane at all on some track.

Also, The Day You're Mine is an amazingly awful track. The ethereal synth it's built around is interesting, but the rest of it is really fucking bad.

Ivanov Down - Best Urban Technical Noises
>Noise Rock, Post-Punk
Ivanov Down is one of Ukraine's most legendary bands, up there with the likes of Kollezhskiy Asessor, Mandri, Kazma Kazma, etc. This release reminds me a lot of the more famous scene in Omsk - there is that oppressive Soviet atmosphere with the swirly guitars, raw feedback, etc. It also reminds me a bit of No Wave, with the nonsensical screaming vocals, weird extended techniques and the habit of ending tracks without a real climax.

It's an overall very good release I think, but it's not without issue. The made-up language gimmick sounds really goofy, for starters. And the tracks need a bit more diversity - I wish there were more plodding, slow sections as opposed to the more common bursts of energetic feedback.

It's only a little over half an hour long, if you like post-punk like 90% of /daily/ does you should listen to it. Like DNA meets late-80s Grazhdanskaya Oborona.

I'm gonna listen to that Frankie Sinatra meme album and then it's Burkina Faso time!

bump

woah, I'm so fucking hype for that Upper Volta/Burkina Faso comp review. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you like funk/soul/traditional rhythms and instrumentation!

Random hot takes;

>Daddy Sufjan sucks

>Neu! is the best Krautrock band

>Future is one of the best rappers currently working

>Fuck Inspectah Deck

>Career Suicide the album > Career Suicide the band > Suicide the album/band

i have bad taste but it's cool if i label them as hot takes: the post

>you will never have Jake's hair genetics

why even live

lmao future is garbage

everything else is right though

i'd probably agree with the Neu! one. their big 3 are more consistently great than the likes of Faust and Can imo. Tago Mago is the best krautrock album tho

Better than Can in their prime? How, why?

is that anger

No, this is

hhaha cool

if he's like me he loves the repetition in Neu's music and thinks they did the ambient stuff better, I'm really not a big fan of Future Days

like I said though Tago Mago just about tops anything Neu did

Right, seems like it just depends what you like then

Neu! more like Old! xD

ive never really dug any future songs, are his full projects better?

how would they be, they're nothing but future songs and worse future songs

thats what i figured

I agree with everything but Future Days is better than Tago Mago. Mago's good, but Future Days is up there

I was exaggerating a bit, but I really dug his 2 projects.

Teresa Winter - Oh Tina, No Tina
>Hypnagogic Pop, Ambient Pop

Quite enjoyable, and a quick listen. The opening track is like a looping opening for some sort of pop song. Simon Peter James follows dizzily with a twisted drum machine sample, Wool marries Ferraro with Lopatin, and Bounce 700 features more of Winter's lo-fi echoes, standard of Hypnagogic. Cannot Look takes it slower on the samples and strips the song down to a single pattern, and The Place to Be bounces several drums like balls over something out of an ambient album.

Fourteen Nights picks things up with, morphing from a progressive synth line similar to the previous tracks, into murky rave, and back again. How Strange Are Bodies is a nice penultimate track, amorphous but consistent in it's melancholia. All My Holes sounds like it was plucked straight out of the closer of some cult avant-garde horror film, repeating its titles to spares winds and an underwater string section, and abruptly ending it all with a metallic slam of some sort.

An intriguing, if repetitive album. Looking forward to more from this artist.

7/10

and you choose to show the worse picture of his hair

dont you think its time to give up

n e v err

Heya daily, I bought some memes!

mem eme MEME MEME ME
ME

Ordered a pep pizza and they gave me a meat lovers HAHA IDIOTS!!!!! I'm hyped today.

you know it BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

OH SHIT BOYS GONNA PLAY A MEME NOW PROBABLY LEEUW'S VOL 2 WISH ME LUCK@@@!!!! !!
-jangle

Isn't there bacon on a meat lovers pizza?

>meat lovers
I'd eat one slice and then die

Too fatty

Yeah but it's already on the pizza so what are you gonna do.

Me I eat whole pizza in one sitting and now I want dessert.

What the fuck

>Latin music
i approve

playero is almost like yamero i dont know what that means but they say it in my japanese cartoons also yamero is almost like yamiro which is your name almost haha isnt that crazy

youtube.com/watch?v=0RpdPzJgaBw

Satie Vol. 2 was good but by far the slowest interpretation I've heard yet; the Gymnopedies are 20% slower than the '95 release (15:52 vs 13:11), and even they are slow. For reference Rogé's After the Rain clocks in at 8:21, and the Ciccolini Gymnopedies recordings are 7:39. That said, they are great but lack the emotional delivery of the '95 release; I think he really nailed the pacing on that one. Still a fantastic release overall though.

oi shucks this is p cool so far
it appeals to my affinity for teen angst
the uncanny style makes sense with the vibe it's going for, something more comic-y would probably kill something so overdramatized, or at least turn it into a comedy. thought it was _just_ gonna be like a tech demo

what

what

YAMEROOO

i like this name

Hey, do you have a DL for this? The versions on slsk are really ambiguously partitioned and titled, so it's hard to tell what I'm downloading

nope. here's a spotify link with the two original tracks
open.spotify.com/album/3Y5G1VvWG5n658gJDpvaXS

i bought the cd a couple weeks back maybe i'll up it idk i dont like uploading stuff

Oh hey guess I just missed it when I searched Spotify earlier. Thx

kek I did the same thing. it's listed under "Playero" instead of "DJ Playero"

Julia Holter - Ekstasis (2012)
>art pop, baroque pop, progressive pop

Like the genre tags suggest, this is Holter's most progressive album, filled with long, sprawling songs and large amounts of tempo and instrumetation changes. Sadly, this bend towards more progressive song structures still can't make this anywhere near as interesting as her other records. It's not as out-there and experimental as Tragedy, not as intense or intimate as Loud City Song, and not as well-written or atmospheric as Have You in My Wilderness. In making her tracks longer and more sprawling, Holter sacrifices most of what makes her a good songwriter, obscuring melodies and her lovely voice in walls of uninteresting ambient, and her experimental elements are pretty much gone, while the meandering tendencies of her experimental works still remain. Still a decently solid album, and it's great to drift away to, but it's definitely her weakest, and an odd transitional album.

2.5-

Casiotone for the Painfully Alone - Twinkle Echo (2003)
>indietronica, lo-fi indie, indie pop

I think I'd like this a lot more if it had a more fitting vocalist and it wasn't so goddamn repetitive. Every song is structured in such away that the first verse keeps getting repeated ad nauseum, and it makes even the nicest, most concise pop songs wear on you. This is definitely not good for a thirty minute album. The vocals would fit better with a more organic sound, but the synthesizer-laden atmosphere of the album makes Ashworth's deep, husky voice stick out like a sore thumb. The sound of the album is pretty damn great, I love the sound of the synths, and the songwriting is definitely solid (see "Blue Corolla"), but there's simply not enough content here to make a thirty minute album seem worthwhile, it's mind-numblingly repetitive both from a songwriting standpoint and a sound-based standpoint.

2.0+

(1/2)

(2/2)

Bedhead - WhatFunLifeWas (1994)
>slowcore

This album very delicately balances the pastoral, downtrodden slowcore of Low or Red House Painters and the noisy, angsty slowcore of Codeine and lowercase, and it does the latter style incredibly. The former style is done well, and it's certainly the cozier of the two styles, but the tracks can blend together, mainly because that style has a bit of a tendency to get stale if repeated over and over again, but the couple super underwhelming tracks in this style can't bring the album down terribly much if the emotional slowcore is so damn good. These tracks are incredibly catchy and emotionally draining at the same time, they get you humming along to them despite being so passionate and downright heavy, which is probably the greatest compliment I can give to music in this vein. The immaculate guitar work keeps everything together, even on the tracks I don't really like that much. Essential listening for any slowcore fan.

3.0+

Virginia Astley - From Gardens Where We Feel Secure (1983)
>ambient, new age

I really can't say much about this, but it's certainly the most downright cozy album on this chart so far. It's a warm blanket of an album, and while it's definitely a bit too overbearingly pastoral and twee, it's one of the most pleasant albums I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. It's pretty much just impressionist piano pieces with nature recordings of birds, and if that doesn't sound like the coziest thing ever, I don't know what to say.

3.0-

i will never watch that show purely because of the art style

Touché Amoré - …To the Beat of a Dead Horse (2009)
>screamo

Besides Trans I'm probably one of the bigger screamo fans here, and even I think this is a bit too overdone. The vocals don't even seem terribly emotive, they seem like they're trying to be emotional but they're just limp and screechy. I like power in my screamo, this has no power at all. Frankly the parts of this most removed from screamo are the best, they're catchy, fun hardcore, but the actual screamo is pretty lousy. Honestly the cover is kinda wasted on the actual album.

2.0+

hello /daily/

how was your monday? how were your weekends?

My butthole continues to clench increasingly tighter due to the impending doom of finals.
Yet here I am, shitposting my life away...

i think my weekly charts show im in a vicious cycle of the same 10 EPs rotating and pure heroine

>how was your monday?
bad

>how were your weekends?
bad but i saw some good movies by myself so eh

just working and studying, little time to do much else. mainly been listening to jazz n noise lately

I'm in a similar boat but then again until September nothing I do matters

really gotta get into Skip James , and I've gotta listen to that Eddie Lang comp.

is top left AR Kane?

thanks for that reminder to relisten to songs about my cats

Good

Home for spring break this week, will be working to make some extra money. Just took a trip into the city today with some friends, went to the Met, saw some cool art, then bummed around Chinatown

Yeah I recommend it. I actually didn't like it much at all when I first heard it but I threw it on again a few days ago and it grow on me a ton.

i need something similar to pure heroine
save yourself the drug jokes

angels rig hook

garden of delete this

dont let garbarek's disastrous officium discourage you from hearing more from him
as someone whos gone through half his discog there's some good stuff in it

Oh shit didn't notice you wrote relisten. Yeah, definitely relisten then. It's a grower.

i half-assedly started/continued a few music project things because i actually wanna do that /daily/ comp...
that's it

are her other songs less boring and shitty than royals, should i listen to that album if i like lana and kinda sorta melanie martinez?

>really gotta get into Skip James
He's one of the best if not THE best

Complete 1931 Recordings is a good place to start

this is def a very "home for spring break" chart

oopsie, the covers look the same

alright definitely listening to it on my bus tmrw

oh I'm already a fan of that, I just wanna dig deeper

listen to his 3 60's comeback lp's

>are her other songs less boring and shitty than royals,
Royals is her worst song by quite a bit

>should i listen to that album if i like lana and kinda sorta melanie martinez?
Yes, she was p inspired by lana so youll notice the influences

oh yeah todd in the shadows actually complained about too many lorde clones in either his best or worst of 2016 list idr who any of them were tho

Fahey didn't invent primitivism
youtube.com/watch?v=7FgH4JKzmEk

u got it

hmm this seems very very cool

further evidence of my claim
youtube.com/watch?v=3bmqvRzBteQ

What's good bitchbois? I've been busy for the last couple weeks, but I should be shitposting more soon!! Sucks for you ;P

Also, I'm goin' to see Mount Eerie tomorrow. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Mini reviews soon-ish maybe. Probably won't be everything I heard in the past couple weeks but ya know. Whatever.

>Also, I'm goin' to see Mount Eerie tomorrow.
Dude nice dude

me

fish weak? more like fish w... oh wait never mind

Shiit gimme more nerd

ok, pls no more bully sir

youtube.com/watch?v=dvWkfyMyt00
youtube.com/watch?v=1B70BhVVjDg
youtube.com/watch?v=WoMFF5tLiL8
youtube.com/watch?v=plsT3v5tlg4
youtube.com/watch?v=jguvUHepISU

Ivanov-Down - Best Urban Technical Noises
>Noise Rock, Post-Punk
Like Letov mentioned, I think this record works better during the more moody and deliberate industrial sections, rather than the fast-paced, punk-y parts.
I like how rhythmic this album is. The drums are very simple but they keep a sturdy and menacing beat. It reminds me a lot of World domination enterprises in that regard.
I liked a lot of the guitar noises as well, there was a lot more too it than just a lot of overdrive. Some really cool sounding screechy, a-tonal melodies.
I didn't like the singing much at all. There were a few moments where it went into an alright dark, monotone voice, but most of the time I just found it obnoxious.
Also, maybe it's just me, but I kinda wished this had been recorded in a proper studio. I think a good production job would have made this stand out even more, and maybe even fixed the vocals.

Just a few short thoughts of things I heard this past week or so:

"Spem in Alium" is probably one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. I was legit glad to be alive and have the fortune to hear something like that honestly. That album never quite reached that level again but it's all at least pretty good.

Deconstructing Nature isn't shit for about a full eight seconds. Worst thing I've heard in quite some time!

The Red in the Sky Is Ours was surprisingly consistent. I'm usually really turned off by the more technical side of metal, but this wasn't quite on the virtuostic-wankery as I expected. A pretty great surprise honestly.

Wasn't expecting to care for If I Should Fall From Grace With God as much as I did, but it's a pretty damn fun, consistent album. Far from perfect and the b-side is kind of lacking comparatively, but if you're looking for an emotional, fun, Celtic-based rock album, I would highly rec this.

I Am a Bird Now has one great song, a few good/okay songs and really nothing else. Not sure if the charm of this girl's voice wore off after the first track or if it really is that much better, but everything after just didn't do it for me.

And wtf rym friends?? Viva Last Blues is incredible, and how it doesn't even have a 3.10 from you guys just boggles me. I have a soft spot for a lot of alt-country though, so maybe it's me with the problem.

Could go into more detail about any of these or any others I didn't talk about if requested but for now I'll leave it at that. Should finish this very soon and get on to the new chart.

OH and maybe I'll write a longer review of A Crow Looked at Me soon-ish, but don't expect any opinion you haven't heard before.

playin' 4d chess
dunkin' on scrubs

ty bb xx

i meant it in the nicest way, i need to dig into old folk and blues more

You probably aren't going to like the album by Lone, I'd get it out of the way

orange caramel is the only kpop i like
do you know anything similar?

Crayon Pop
CocoSori (their grand total of 2 songs)
After School - Dress to Kill
some of T-ARA's singles (e.g. Sugar Free, Roly Poly, Number Nine)

that style is a lot more prevalent in jpop though
it's worth checking out anything produced by Yasutaka Nakata (Perfume, Capsule, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu), E-Girls or Morning Musume

>oi shucks this is p cool so far
good taste
i actually did pick up the manga where it starts after the anime ends and I can see why people like it but its markedly different (not that enjoyable for me desu)

just a few more slots open get in here lads!

are there any restrictions

no actual good music allowed

thx bb

ok ok
legendary pink dots - shadow weaver

AOA was disappointing
How's Oh My Girl?

own a copy of this try again

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ronald_shannon_jackson_and_the_decoding_society/mandance/

hmm
bobb trimble - iron curtain innocence

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_terminals/uncoffined/
maybe you have better taste than my other rym friends shitting on this album

i'm gonna listen to this, loved touch

will rec in a mo

[spoiler] AOA only has a single good song but damn they look amazing [/spoiler]

Oh My Girl is hit-and-miss
they have one of those infantile innocent images and the cutesy, saccharine sound that's sort of expected with such a concept

it gets annoying at times, but they have competent producers and some better-than-average vocals (better than the kpop average at least)

i recommend Windy Day (the album), that's their most balanced effort
ignore the new single, it's p wack

Thanks
What's the good AOA song?

David Thomas Broughton - Crippling Lack