Ignorant Americunt here with a few humble questions for any non-English speaking countries:

Ignorant Americunt here with a few humble questions for any non-English speaking countries:

>is there such a concept as an American accent of your language
>if so, what do people think of it?
>if not, are there any foreign accents (e.g. German-accented French) people like/dislike of your language?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8iJMOBcPQyg
youtube.com/watch?v=eyGFz-zIjHE
youtube.com/watch?v=E2JLd84sZmU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_policy_in_France#French_Revolution
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdas_Adamkus
youtube.com/watch?v=kLm6yo1WaW8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

its funny

People find any american speaking spanish with an accent to be hilarious.

In a bad way.

the english accent in general sounds awful if you slap it into a language other than english

its hard to understand what you are saying

Yes. Dutch speakers from America will be recognized from a mile away. You will all sound like a cowboy and a bad infomercial, regardless from which part of America you're from.

People think it's funny.

>are there any foreign accents (e.g. German-accented French) people like/dislike of your language
The Moroccan accent is really bad. The German accent is incredibly gay as well.
I think people generally prefer native sounding accents, like from South Africa (which sounds a bit raw) or Suriname (which sounds like Bob Marley).

non-english speakers can't distinguish between different english accents, and those of us who speak english see your accent as the standard, for the most part.
but to answer your question, there's a general "english accented spanish" stereotype and it's always the same, doesn't differ from american or english (as in from england).
people generally don't like it.

>if not, are there any foreign accents (e.g. German-accented French) people like/dislike of your language?
again, if you don't speak a specific language you can't tell its accents appart.
but if we're talking about our own language spoken by foreigners yes, there's very stereotypical accents from some languages, specially french, german and all of the chinky ones, they are pretty much all disgusting to me.

but to be fair I don't like other spanish accents like the rest of the latin american ones, so it might just be me.

These songs have an imitation of the Anglo way to speak spanish.

youtube.com/watch?v=8iJMOBcPQyg

youtube.com/watch?v=eyGFz-zIjHE

Russians are famous for the marked R while Asians talks with soft R's (sometimes the omit them).

French people have their guttural sounds, specially while pronouncing R's.

We usually don't think of foreign accents as funny, people makes fun of other spanish accents like Argentinian, Castilian (Spain's Spanish) or Colombian (funny and hot).

>tfw reading this thread

Yeah, there is American English accent I suppose, not that people would differentiate it from British accent though. I've heard plenty of American Lithuanians on TV who fled before the war and one of our presidents lived in US for like 30 years, worked there as a civil servant or something. Most of those Lithuanians are from Chicago I think.

Really glad that English is the standard now

No
We don't particularly identify the different portuguese accents other than our own regional accents and the Portugal's portuguese.
When we hear a person speaking a different accent other than these, we just assume he's an ordinary foreigner (or, as we say, a gringo)

>american accent
only texan accents exist

>what do people think of it
probably the same as all non-texans do, if you know what I mean

>disliked accents
russian, turkish, arabic, indian, etc.

People recognize Dutch accents to a city level.

There is no way foreigners don't get picked out.

youtube.com/watch?v=E2JLd84sZmU

finnish is rather monotone so having an accent at all sounds weird. cant think of a person with an american accent but the common foreigner speech charicature would be using intonation instead of using emphasizing suffixes and also, putting emphasis on random syllables in a word instead of always the first.

>Russians are famous for the marked R

That's it. People here are annoyed of any accent except of Caucasian and middle Asian ones.

>American accent
Like a monotonous "CNN" accent ? Yeah we have that on TV but rarely anyone speaks without accent or some sort of dialect. The farther from Paris you get the more deviation you have, both in accent and words.
>What do people think of it
Nothing really.
>Liked or disliked accent
Québecois, arabic and west african accent are often mocked
Some people find German or Russian hot sounding, while other despise them and think Italian and Spanish are the sexy thing.
"L'accent du Sud" (tm) is great sounding even if he sounds a bit rustic (due to the fact the area is mostly rural).
Everyone despise the Ch'ti accent, which comes from the northern tip of France.
Belgium accent is cute sounding.

Fun fact most québécois come from Picardy and Calais

I've often wondered myself OP if our accent is a meme when it's spoken with a foreign language. Here's what I've thought on the subject...

Mexicans are probably the only people who hear Americans speak a foreign language often enough to recognize an American accent. Then I'm sure the Quebeckers have something for the Anglo-Canadians when they speak French. Since Anglo-Canadians sound virtually the same as us, I'd be curious to know what the Quebeckers think of their French.

We all know Mexicans have their dirty words for gringos speaking Spanish, at least those of us who've ever been to Tijuana or Juarez for a weekend... or Cancun, whatever.

I doubt we're heard enough abroad to have our accent be associated with anything in particular in a given foreign language. Anything you hear on here is probably just going to be a bunch of America bashing.

>"L'accent du Sud" (tm) is great sounding even if he sounds a bit rustic (due to the fact the area is mostly rural).

Has the Occitan language affected Southern French accents? When did Occitan die out?

Oh yeah definitely. You can hear its influence that regions for the Pays d'oïl (northern France, from which comes Modern French) don't have. In dialect as well.
> When did Occitan die out?
Kinda hard to pin point. Since the Revolution ,Paris (always them) tried to suppress regional identity by declaring we're all French (to avoid independance movement) and basically outlawed all form of regional language.
It didn't really work since most of France was peasants until the 60s. With massive urbanization,schooling and much more things to read in French, regional languages kinda died. Only old people from the countryside speak it now.
The ban on regional languages was recently lifted tho and it started to appear on school programs.

>Kinda hard to pin point. Since the Revolution ,Paris (always them) tried to suppress regional identity by declaring we're all French (to avoid independance movement) and basically outlawed all form of regional language.

Interesting

Parlez français, Soyez Propre

depends on region
I find some brits accents fuking funny but annoying at the same time
>MEN YAW ZAV 'OOT JOSEF
that is supposed to be
>menya zobut josef

and then american I met
>men yeeee zabuuut DAYniel.

>and then american I met
>>men yeeee zabuuut DAYniel.

did you kill the CIA agent afterwards?

no please hack our election.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_policy_in_France#French_Revolution
Here you go for a brief recap
Bonjour sale rosbiff.

One famous piece of American literature is all about Lithuanians in Chicago.

It's a brutal story though, and it was written by a proto-commie so it may or may not be a bit exagerrated relative to the real experience of the times.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle

>ost of those Lithuanians are from Chicago I think.

>mfw my city is being taken over by slavs, balts, and balkans
>ate pljeskavica yesterday

Feels okay. Much better than fucking Mexicans. Eastern Europe come home.

Nice, I didn't know about it. Looks interesting.
By the way this is the guy, our ex president
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdas_Adamkus

I would actually love to see such area, living here is one thing but I bet that seeing all those ethnic themed shops gives whole different feeling, when it's targeted for foreigners too. And especially when it's not just Lithuania but whole Eastern Europe in one neighbourhood.

Yes, in theory
Never heard anyone speak it
We have Finland Swedish - technically a different variety of the language (somewhat different use of words)

It's one of the reasons America succeeded was we gave a new identity to people from really poor backgrounds. And in turn they worked their asses off and now live comfy lives. However illegal immigration has hurt us alot, but sometimes Latinos integrate too. I wouldn't recommend Chicago to eastern euros, Boston and Rhode Island are much nicer places.

There was a Canadian guy here in my hometown who taught English and pronounced Slovak words with your r instead of our trilled one. Was funny. But not a lot of English speakers here. Hungarian accents are meme as are gypsy. Also, when Czechs try to speak Slovak, they always have a characteristic, hard to describe accents, even when they say all the words correctly. I go to a Czech hairdresser and he has been living here for years, speaks perfect Slovak yet his accent screams "I am Czech". One of our Czech professors used to speak Slovak on lectures and he had a ridiculous accent.

Yes, when you try to speak italian your american accent is terribly strong there is no way people don't notice it, even after decades you live here
It's funny when you try hard but most of the times peolple don't even try to speak in the correct way because you don't care and get angry when italians say that they didn't understand what you are trying to say
>are there any foreign accents (e.g. German-accented French) people like/dislike of your language?
There are all kind of foreign accent, the most famous ones are the french, the german, the anglo ones and the immigrant ones. The worst are the albanian and the african ones.

I'm not sure the Revolution wanted to supress independence movements since they were almost nonexistent in that moment. It's an anachronism.

Uniformity was declared in order to ensure a successful conscription and prevent oppositions to the newly republican regime. It's about the regime, not the integrity of the territory.

That's probably a more correct way of putting it, thanks.

think this might be the most Ameridumb shit I have ever read, what does this even mean?

We don't speak with our mouths full of food, so no.

We hate Slovaks and their pathetic attempts to decide whether to speak proper Czech or proper Hungarian.

He probably means "a generic accent". Kind of like saying "British accent", which obviously doesn't exist since the UK is very diverse in accent.

>a generic accent
no such thing

You know what he means, in the UK it would probably be the BBC english

Wew, didn't know there was so much difference.

>uk
bbc
>us
des moines, iowa

It it's more like English language accent.

>what do people think of it?
It sounds funny but not inferior like Eastern accents.

>are there any foreign accents (e.g. German-accented French) people like/dislike of your language
All European accents are alright. "Worst" cases like English, German and Polish are just funny.

>The worst are the albanian and the african ones.
youtube.com/watch?v=kLm6yo1WaW8

What about Australian accents?

It's so bad it's forbidden in German school

We learn British English

And you don't know if you want to speak proper Slovak or proper German.

There is not a big difference in the words in most cases but a big in the "sound" of it. You can say the similiarity makes it harder to accurately imitate accent of the other language.

>Ignorant Americunt here with a few humble questions for any non-English speaking countries:
Yes, people here who speak english well and consume western media can easily tell your accent
Most people prefer to use that accent as it is considered an easy to understand accent
People usually dislike the thick arabian english accent. Like that one from the ancient shut up your mouse obama maymay

The Jungle is pretty much required reading in high school in Chicago

>We learn British English
Based Cambodia