Is old Europe best Europe?

Is old Europe best Europe?

Other urls found in this thread:

redorbit.com/news/science/1113411831/why-ancient-roman-graffiti-is-so-important-to-archaeologists-010516/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes

RIP Rome

Why don't you guys rebuild shrines to Zeus etc

So cool

How would they do that when they can't even pay their debts?

I don't even know man
I would personally love to see the Colleseum restored to its former glory

But things need to have their "original stones" or it's not authentic which I find retarded

Wtf

In Japan there's a tradition of rebuilding shrines

So is it not authentic? Lol

All Europe is old Europe

What do you mean? Don't you like the communist shitshacks?

Contrary to popular belief, the roman buildings were barely ever left unpainted or white. They were painted in many colors, and scriptures were made on them. Its only after many years of being abandoned that the paint degradated and they became white/grey

if old europe was so good why did current europe just give it up so easily

Yeah, I've noticed

Hiroshima castle got completely destroyed by the atomic bomb but you guys rebuilt it

Looks great, by the way, nice job there

You tell me

do you have proof to back your claim?

Seriously, great job on rebuilding this thing, it was completely destroyed by the a-bomb but you rebuilt it from scratch and made it look like new

I like Japan's method of taking care of historical things more than the west's

I don't understand the "it needs to have the original stones to be authentic" thing, all we do to preserve our history is prevent it from being damaged more, not restore it to its former glory

Rebuilding things the way they were meant to be seen is a lot more respectful to the history and culture, in my opinion, and I wish the Colosseum and other such Roman monuments could be fully rebuilt

it's what my latin teacher taught me
i don't question the knowledge of my superiors
its completely proven that they did paint short messages on walls of buildings and bathroom
redorbit.com/news/science/1113411831/why-ancient-roman-graffiti-is-so-important-to-archaeologists-010516/

>I don't understand the "it needs to have the original stones to be authentic" thing, all we do to preserve our history is prevent it from being damaged more, not restore it to its former glory
It's not only about the whole original stone meme.
The destruction of a monument is as much history as its construction.

I also think it depends on how distant in time the monuments and their destruction are.
After both World Wars, most of the stuff has been rebuilt.

Because when ruins just sit there they just mold further away, slowly decaying. Eventually becoming a heap of rocks, forgotten.

Might as well revive its former glory for the present to enjoy.

The Bastille isn't forgotten.
Neither is the lighthouse of Alexandria or the temple of Artemis.

I'd rather have them all disappeared and remembered in books than being rebuilt by our current ""architects"" and other artists into a brothel, or some Temple for worshiping Menstruation blood.

Eh, Bastille was just a shitty prison, no need to rebuild that

But I really want to see the lighthouse of Alexandria or temple of Artemis rebuilt , so we can better see and remember the cultures who built them

I'm sure the original architects of these buildings are rolling in their graves right now

We dont even know what it really looked like or where it is.

Only guesses by modern archaeologists.

not forgotten-my ass

Please never stop making your historical buildings look just like the day they were built no matter how badly they may be damaged

I've seen what Daesh has done to archeological sites, and it kills me that they will probably never get rebuilt because of our retarded belief that it wouldn't be "authentic"

I love how you guys take care of your history

I agree with our European friend here. As or building age in the US saving moments as they are is fine, but to restore everything back to working ordered when it no longer has purpose is not needed. Everything has it time and place in history as long as it is remembered that is what counts. When the "halodeck" technology finally get here you can walk through the building as though they were real all you want.

The very least they could do is pedestrianize all of the old parts so you can enjoy them.

There is a unique kind of selfishness in destroying ancient relics depriving every future generation of it.

Only new europe says that

Like the way Germs and scandis completely forget they copied southerners down to the most miniscule detail

There are really people who compare the Bastille to world magnificent like the lighthouse of Alexandria and the temple of Artemis?

no it's just the first destroyed but well remembered building that popped in my head

The Netherlands doesn't look like South Europe or Germany at all.

(((Christianity))) was a mistake

>>>Ruskin
>>>Morris

...what?

The artifacts of Communist era are also beautiful.
Communism suits well in Europe.

>Bastille was just a shitty prison
In the end. It was built as a fortress.

There is a unique kind of faggotry in admiring retarded shit, almost melancholically, just because it's old as fuck.

>being this much of faggot
this is war. Destroying monuments is a valid, and very good tactic as old as war.

Ignorant shit
It wasn't destroyed for military reasons. They already had control of the area and blew it up because of their barbaric beliefs.

Why is everyone on here a retarded faggot?

moder*ism destroyed everything desu

because the ruins have actualy historical and archeological value
rebuilding it according to our unperfect knowledge of history would totally destroy the authenticity of those artefacts.
It is better to build replicas elswhere.

good post.

reconstructions of archaeological sites tend to be biased by the current trneds and ideologies.

take Arthur Evans' reconstruction of the Palace of Knossos, for example. his design choices were largely influenced by fin-de-siecle fashion (i.e. art deco). we can't know for sure how it "really" looked like, but in retrospect, we can be pretty sure that it looked quite different from how Evans imagined it.

Absolutely fucking disgusting thing to do.

I mean reconstruction is only acceptable if you have a very good idea of the structure.

"Reconstructing" something like lighthouse of Alexandria is not reconstruction. It's "reviving"

I think Roman buildings like Colloseum could easily be constructed

>Why is everyone on here a retarded faggot?
you tell me.
Destroying the enemy's cultural heritage, and thus his memory is a strategy used in every war.
Assad bombed a Mosaic Museum or the theater of Bosrah. The Persians did the same when they burnt the Acropolis. Or when the cathedral of Reims was burned down, or the beautiful Hungarian bridges destroyed. This kind of destruction inflicts a great deal of terror. You attack what people hold very dear, their symbols, their heritage, their memory.
It's more than simply Barbary. It's strategic.

he's right, when i studied parthenon of greece, they were visible proofs that it was painted

Why build shrines noone prays in?