Can we have an interesting/historical photos thread? Dumping what I've got

Can we have an interesting/historical photos thread? Dumping what I've got.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_Häyhä
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump for OP

>The person at the bottom, slightly left of centre
Right in the feels, everytiem.

>The fully assembled gun weighed nearly 1,350 tonnes, and could fire shells weighing seven tonnes to a range of 47 kilometres (29 mi)

Classic art.

very cool stuff.

Can someone explain? Please?

solider just goofing around, whats really impressive is the fact that they wouldn't know if the shot worked or not until the photo was processed.

Thanks. I'm just reaching about the Charkov offensive and now I'm getting these weird mental images.

>filename
lost my shit
10/10

Der gute Fürst Uranov.

i fucking love this guy

>Simo "Simuna" Häyhä, nicknamed "White Death" by the Red Army, was a Finnish marksman. Using a Finnish M/28-30 rifle (a Finnish variant of the Mosin–Nagant rifle) and the Suomi KP/-31 Submachine Gun, in the Winter War, he is reported as having killed 505 men, the highest recorded number of confirmed sniper kills in any major war.

>The Soviets' efforts to kill Häyhä included counter-snipers and artillery strikes, and on 6 March 1940, Häyhä was hit by an explosive bullet in his lower left jaw by a Red Army soldier, blowing off his lower left cheek. He was picked up by fellow soldiers who said "half his face was missing", but he did not die, regaining consciousness on March 13, the day peace was declared. Shortly after the war, Häyhä was promoted from alikersantti (Corporal) to vänrikki (Second lieutenant) by Field Marshal Mannerheim.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_Häyhä

Very smart to use iron sights so enemy snipers don't see you.

My personal favorite

>Lieutenant-Colonel John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming "Jack" Churchill, DSO & Bar, MC & Bar (16 September 1906 – 8 March 1996) was a British Army officer who fought throughout the Second World War armed with a longbow, bagpipes, and a basket-hilted Scottish broadsword.

>Nicknamed "Fighting Jack Churchill" and "Mad Jack", he is known for the motto: "Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed." It is claimed that Churchill also carried out the last recorded longbow and arrow killing in action, shooting a German NCO in 1940 in a French village during the Battle of France.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

(He's the right-most guy in the photo.)

>Hirō Onoda (March 19, 1922 – January 16, 2014) was an Imperial Japanese Army intelligence officer who fought in World War II and was a Japanese holdout who did not surrender in 1945. After Onoda spent 29 years holding out in the Philippines, his former commander traveled from Japan to personally issue orders relieving him from duty in 1974. He held the rank of second lieutenant in the Imperial Japanese Army.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda

Story behind this? This looks like something related to East and West Germany during allied occupation.

This was apart of the Nazi WunderWaffen regiments. They trained magically gifted soldiers witchkraft and advanced knife training.

To think that around 60-70% of young men in this picture died before the end of 1945.

pretty

And often just because of their commanders' pig-headed pride and inability to see reality for what it was.