What albums should I cop to get the Eric Clapton experience?

What albums should I cop to get the Eric Clapton experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nTSBR7eHL_I
youtube.com/watch?v=B9DqykUsqRY
youtube.com/watch?v=qwIrXOtZyvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=wqp71DOJ3aY
youtube.com/watch?v=_q0nImsfMvE
youtu.be/2115FxKeYxY
youtu.be/82rh9J8-GHE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

CATCH THE BABY! - the musical

and

OOPS! I THREW IT AGAIN

Blues Breakers With Eric Clapton is the only essential Eric Clapton album

Stop with There's One in Every Crowd and never listen to anything after that if you value your life on it.

>and never listen to anything after that if you value your life on it.
w-why? I thought Clapton was one of the great guitarists.

>I thought Clapton was one of the great guitarists
...in 1968.

>I thought Clapton was one of the great guitarists.
No. He makes superficial easy listening muffin rock for overweight aged truckers. Just like Dire Fucking Straits and David Gilmour's solo dreck. There isn't much musically that is worse.

Disraeli Gears
Layla

don't need any albums, just jump out the window

>He makes superficial easy listening muffin rock for overweight aged truckers

That's pretty much all of his post-'75 stuff. Once he got over 30, he decided to be grown up (read: boring).

Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton
Disraeli Gears
Wheels of Fire
Layla
Just One Night for live experience

Honestly, the guy used to play guitar really well, but he's a total inept at making songs. His stuff from the 60's might easily be the only interesting things he made.

All of Cream's discography
Blind Faith self titled
Layla
That's about it

ITT: Sup Forums being angry because they could never make music that sounds just as good as EC.

Also Crossroads is a pretty good album to listen to.

well then who should I listen to if I want to improve my guitar playing skills?

If you want to sound like Clapton, listen to Clapton.

It all depends on what type of sound you want to achieve. If you are a metal guitarist for instance, Clapton isn't for you.

Ry Cooder if you want someone who really knows what the blues is about.

This happened to Bob Seger also. He was playing blistering Detroit rock in the early 70s then by the disco era switched to bland-ass adult contemporary songs about rock, but with very little rock in them.

Tbh I haven't even decided on a specific sound. So far I'm finishing up Cliffs of Dover and I dunno where to go next.

I'm also self taught which probably explains my lack of direction.

I guess he didn't really have a choice since that psychedelic blues rock he was playing wasn't cool anymore.

>Honestly, the guy used to play guitar really well, but he's a total inept at making songs
Most pro guitarists are complete shit at songwriting.

stop doing heroin and start hating middle easterners

But that's the case with most of the famous virtuosos. If you go off the beaten path you realize there's guys with a much more modest technique but a truly soulful vibe to what they compose and play, like Ry Cooder or Neil Young.

And then there's a few ones like Hendrix, Santana or Zappa who were simply geniuses.

I wouldn't call Zappa a great guitarist. He could play extended length 20 minute blues rock solos alright, but they were rarely interesting and usually felt stiff and mechanical as fuck with no feel or distinct tone.

My cousin saw him in Detroit in 1981 and said that the audience were your typical Camaro-driving mullet rock fans and they ate up his boring blues wankery solos like candy. When he wanted to play a classical piece, they started booing so he shrugged and went back to his blues wankery. Eventually someone threw something on stage and he stormed off and left. Concert over.

Really?
youtu.be/nTSBR7eHL_I

No wonder you like Clapton.

Rory Gallagher.

I understand Zappa is a musician hard to get into, but trust me man, one day it will click for you and you'll realize you've found one of the greatest of all time
youtube.com/watch?v=B9DqykUsqRY
youtube.com/watch?v=qwIrXOtZyvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=wqp71DOJ3aY
youtube.com/watch?v=_q0nImsfMvE

I wouldn't say Zappa is difficult to get in to, he's weird, but accessible.

>450 albums of outdated as fuck social commentary

Promises has one of the worst guitar hooks ever put to vinyl.

That was from Backless. The whole album is fucking hysterical, especially track 10.

>spoiled upper middle class British boy pretending to be a yokel from the Texas oil fields

The Fall?

>in this order
John Mayall and the Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton
Disraeli Gears - Cream
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek and the Dominoes
Slow Hand - Eric Clapton
Eric Clapton Unplugged Live

Listen in this order and you'll have a clear idea of how his music evolved. His live album with Steve Winwood in Madison Square Garden is great too, but having listened to what he used to play first you'll more likely to appreciate it better

The few good records Clapton put out have been negated by the oceans of crap he put out.

bump

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers: "I'm Your Witchdoctor" b/w "Telephone Blues" 45rpm
Cream - Disraeli Gears
Cream - Wheels of Fire
Cream - Goodbye
Live Cream Vol. 2
Blind Faith S/T
Derek and the Dominos - Layla and Other Assorte Love Songs

and fuck the rest

I just listened to the entire Backless. It's adequate pub rock, but you can't get past the whole phoniness of it because

SAVAGE YUNG CLAPTON

youtu.be/2115FxKeYxY

shite quality but 17 min verz of SUNSHINE from Boston '68. The outro solo goes hard af

youtu.be/82rh9J8-GHE

Clapton's best later career material consisted of live stuff like Just One Night and Unplugged. He has always seemed to be a better live guy than a studio guy going back to the Cream days.

That wah wah bl00z rock sounds boring and done to death now, but think how jaw-dropping this was in 1967.

>If you are a metal guitarist for instance, Clapton isn't for you

Eh? Cream were one of the antecedents to metal.

guthrie govan is the Bob Ross of guitar, id recommend watching his youtube videos at least