Can anime be kino?

Can anime be kino?

Sure. Anime like Akira, GITS, Paprika, Perfect Blue

Paprika

Shinkai is the definition of anime kino.

hi Sup Forumsutists,

I haven't seen many animes but I saw the berserk trilogy and really liked it.

Any recommendations for the same kind of gore, violent, dark, (possibly medieva)l kind of anime?

>children cartoons
>literal autism

>berserk trilogy
????

Absolutely.

Unironically, Kino's Journey is kino as fuck. One of the best TV series I've ever seen.

I wish there was a Sup Forums anime chart, though. Every anime series/movie Sup Forums has recommended to me has been God-tier.

hellsing ultimate

Not anime yet but Vinland Saga is pretty good.

watched about half of it but didn't like it. Too childish imo.

Fuck Hellsing.

Fate/Zero. Go watch that. You'll probably be lost with some of the terminology (it's a prequel to a 50 hour Visual Novel, which itself is a part of a sprawling universe comprised of a bunch of complicated stuff) but stick through, that stuff doesn't really matter that much. The first 50 minute episode is a bunch of talking, but after that it takes off and never lets up. The visuals are stunning, also. Pic related.

Though be warned: this show makes no mistake about its connections to its source material. It's still got some shounen-ish/RPG-ish powerlevel bullshit going on, and it has its fair share of the requisite anime-tier melodrama (these are few and far between, however). Some of the character's motivations are downright childish also (though this is the show's intent, the impact is lost if you're not completely familiar with the universe in which this series is set). Fate/Zero is definitely worth watching, all the same. It's a modern benchmark when it comes to visuals, and the characters and dialogue are far above-par. The story too is fantastic, though it's tied to a universe comprised of a fair amount of other RPG games and Visual Novels (which in themselves are actually very good, though your mileage would obviously vary).

Expelled from Paradise is seriously good.
The same director has other movies that are loved by weabos but in reality are subpar.

movies

The last movie was garbage.
i laughed my ass off when the credits rolled and the sub translator flipped his shit saying how retarded it was.
This was going on for good 2 minutes,you can find the copy on kat.

Ghost in the Shell(1995). All the other stuff is great too, but that one is truly one of the better films I've ever seen.

The whole thing is great,I just hate how they feel the need to explain the whole movie in plain words right before the end.
its like they know that people dont even pay attention to the content which its little insulting for the ones they do.

Mushishi is incredibly kino too. Also ARIA

What you want is
M.D. Geist 1 and 2
Apocalypse Zero
Spriggan

Shit like Only 10 Centimeters or whatever it's called has only good backgrounds, nothing more.

Marked are ones ive seen.

This is good, though I haven't seen a few on this list.

Would somebody please make a Sup Forums-approved anime chart? I'd do it myself if I weren't so woefully uninformed. Ideally it would encompass TV and Movies.

the only good anime ever made is Madoka

Anohana is kino.

Of course the visuals and character actions tell the story in a much richer way than the ending 'explanation', so to speak, but I just chalk that up to them trying to hook American audiences. In 95, not that many people would have seen an animated movie that challenged their intellect in that way, and certainly not a foreign one.

Shieeet, where do I begin anons?

You need to go outside more.
Or better yet go to japan and stay there.

Anime having "really good drawings" does not make it kino. There is so much more that goes into making a meaningful film full of emotional weight than simply spending a lot of time painting each cell. If "time spent" was all it took, Boyhood (it took 12 years to make!) would be kino, when it very clearly is not.

Akira absolutely is kino, but most people don't understand why, or believe so for the wrong reasons. It's not kino for its art, or its action, or its popularity. It's kino because Akira IS 1980s Japan. It perfectly captures the spirit and fears of a nation struggling to find its identity amidst a deflating economic bubble, the memories of a devastating war still fresh in the mind of the older generations while the youth slips into ennui as the failing promises of modern technological society fail to help them find purpose in life.. it's quite possibly one of the greatest works at capturing a zeitgeist on film.

Oshii oshii'd it. The man can only resist huge monologues for so long