APOLOGIZE

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/christopher-nolan-using-real-wwii-battleships-for-dunkirk-because-he-refuses-to-use-cgi-a6888631.html

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fury_(2014_film)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cool, shame the planes are scaled down models but imagine not many of the ones he needs can still fly/be taken out of the museums.

I really hope this does well, but unfortunately it has to appeal to Americans while being based before they enter the war, and the rest of the world that don't give a shit about Dunkirk.

Yeah well America don't give a fuck about space travel and Interstellar did OK, though it mostly made it up in the foreign market.

Hopefully his name being on it will be enough, can't wait for a trailer

based Nolan

This is starting to look good.
If he hired someone competent to write the dialogs for him, this could become the only watchable film of this year.

NOLAN THE GOD
ALL HAIL NOLAN

>If he hired someone competent to write the dialogs for him, this could become the only watchable film of this year.

I wonder who

>written by Christopher Nolan

FUCK

What's wrong with his dialogues?

I could have been a fucking extra for that film, they needed thousands of us french as soldiers, didn't take me, FUCK U NOLAN

Get help.

Lots of involuntary comedy.
At least in his last two movies.

For (you)

maybe next time froggy.

He's a shit director without any visual appeal. His visuals are TV-tier. There's no reason to use real battleships if he isn't going to fix his visuals anyway.

They're extremely painful.

Ask question an extra on this movie

What's next on his masterplan?

I think Americans like any movie to do with WWII.

Just promise them action (which it'll have) and they'll do fine.

>inb4 "love" ends up being the reason Hitler didn't crush the Allied evacuation

>mfw this is actually Part 2 of Nolan's epic Love Trilogy

>Harry Styles in a lead role
dropped

>that's bait

No, it's necessary

>mfw Hollywood film showing Nazis BTFOing Allied Forces

Based Nolan

>go to Imdb page
>Tom Hardy

Pre-ordering a fucking ticket.

He's at the very top of meme-pleb HQ along with Tarantula and Snyder, but I got to respect most of his film making techniques on a technical level.

He's playing Hitler.

nothing

God I can't fucking wait. this will be his best kino yet and the plebs on here will be BTFO. nolan is such a boss. if only he could teach snyder how to not be such a hack. some things are impossible even for him though I guess.

THANK YOU BASED NOLAN!

His dialogue gave us the greatest meme ever. Could you even imagine a life without baneposting at this moment anymore?

>know that guy who writes and directs those shit movies that make people think they are smart? that guy who can't write compelling characters. that guy who can't direct action scenes to save his life. yeah that guy with that garbage Batman movie where the cops run towards the bad guys even though they are armed. yeah, so apologize to him because he uses real shit instead of props. even his CGI is real rather than computer generated. apologize.

Nolan is a meme director who is worshipped by the plebbiest of plebs

said the pleb

Shit like this is why no one like you people in real life.

Is Aiden Gillen confirmed as MI6?

You know, honestly. This kind of does change my opinion of him.

I don't think his movies are that impressive as films or as works of art but he deserves a lot of credit for taking the time and energy to avoid cgi.

He's worthy of way more respect than Abrams or even Spielberg after his recent stuff.

They already made the best Dunkirk movie though...

>Christopher Nolan using real WWII battleships for Dunkirk because he refuses to use CGI
>the filmmaker will be using a real-life naval destroyer - in particular, the French T-47 Class Destroyer, Maillé-Brézé.

>T-47 class In commission: 1955-1991

BRAVO

>what is memento
>what is The Dark Knight
>what is Inception

>Blockades the most incestuous village in the Netherlands for weeks
>Thousands of extras involved
>Based Harry Styles, God of /fa/, has a lead
>Tom Hardy playing a big guy
>Score by Hans Zimmer
>Actual warships

Dis gon b gud

I'm not watching Dumbkirk. Not for Nolan, not even for Tom Hardy. I just don't like war movies.

>yfw he forced the UK to leave the EU so the UK and Germany can fight a real war for his movie

Overrated trash movies.

he looks like the wisslpb girl

He is a small guy then

This.

Like him or not, Nolan is really the only director working in the current Hollywood climate that can sell a movie on his name alone (Cameron might be able to as well, but he hasn't made a new movie since Avatar so we'll have to see what happens with the sequels).

He is one of the only directors who can generate a great profit on original blockbusters these days -- days filled with sequels and franchises (ironically The Dark Knight might be the biggest reason for this).

WE WUZ THE REAL WINNERS AT DUNKIRK!

Nolan is a retard, CGI is the present and future of film, not saying everything has to be CG, but for one thing, using CGI aircraft would be much better than Scaled down models, simply because they won't reflect the lighting of the actual aircraft, mark my words, when you see the film, the RC aircraft won't look real at all, the lighting will really fuck it up.

That said, I'm looking forward to the movie nonetheless

>dabbing

Disgusting

>movie taking place in Europe and the
>casting mostly white males

Ugh I can't even....

Funny. Interstellar used a ton of models and I think it looked 10x better than the majority of CGI clusterfucks. It's the same reason 2001 has aged so well visually.

Plus with all the green-screen bullshit coming out of Hollywood I am in desperate need to see more movies that dapple in practical effects.

>If he hired someone competent to write the dialog for him, this could become the only watchable film of this year.
You want less memes?

You are now aware the dump truck collision from tdk was made with 1:3 scale models

I'd take models over cgi any day fameleon

>exposition
>exposition
>character dev.. nah just joking, here's an epic one-liner for the trailer
>exposition

>implying tdkr wasn't the first part
did you even watch that film?

Wait is that true?

Jesus Christ, all hail the great Lord and Savior of kino...

I don't get it?

Maybe the lack of Jonathan Nolan will be better?

I mean, Inception had a lot of exposition but it was "good Nolan" exposition, and while I loved Interstellar and TDKR I do acknowledge there was too much exposition in both.

Maybe Chris works better alone on scripts than with his brother?

>thinking that the movie will be better because of that

So it's confirmed to be great visuals, but shitty story again, right? Jesus Christ, when will he learn!

>le practical effects maymay

But it will be.

My eyes can't take another clusterfuck of cartoony CGI.

>t. born in 1999

I hope i fails.Im tierd of WW2 Films.

Nothing, I said nothing

I don't care if he uses real ships per se. I'd just like if he could do a good story with good characters and not something that goes full circle by the end again.

>Mfw he's really going to crash planes

When was the last time we had a mainstream WWII film though?

Genuinely curious. It feels like it has been at least a couple years, if not more.

Will CIA make a cameo?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fury_(2014_film)

I want a well-written movie too, user, but I also want the film to be visually impressive.

To me, the only films truly worth a damn are those that are quality in terms of both written storytelling and visual storytelling.

That's why I hate current Hollywood -- it is always one or the other, never both.

Where are all the trans and POC? This is all problematic.

>mfw the Lord Nolan is now using the meme magic he has generated from Baneposting to finally win an Oscar

You can tell Nolan takes himself very seriously; he has taken the epiteth "the modern Kubrick" to heart. But all the celluloid reels, practical effects, and real size models in the world are not going to make him a good director. He's like a child trying to play grown up.

>Nolan choses cast based on historical fact rather than PC affirmative action

Based.

Oh i agree with you. Mostly nowadays, it's great visuals but shitty story. And Nolan is the king of that zone.

At least he is trying then. It's more one could say about 95% of US movies coming out, let alone blockbusters.

>ignoring the still that triggered Sup Forumslacks a few weeks ag0

He's not just trying. He comes all pretentious saying "this will change the nature of film itself" or some shit, and then you get 2h trailer for a film that could have been great if it wasn't such a ridiculous story.

Who would you call a good director these days anyway?

I'm a Nolanfag personally, but I honestly can't think of any mainstream "directors" that are worth a damn anymore.

50's had George Stevens, Fred Zinneman, Billy Wilder, and Alfred Hitchcock.

60's had Mike Nichols, Stanley Kubrick, and Robert Wise.

70's had Coppola, Fosse, Lument, Allen, etc.

What the fuck happened?

this is mostly why i like nolan, he does try. he's not the best director in the history of everything, but he's one of the few we have left trying to make a decent movie. he fails and does stupid shit, but at least it isn't always pure schlock

With the influx of capeshit, remakes, and franchise bullshit I 100% welcome his pretentious attitude that he will change the nature of film itself

Even if it is overblown and he fails -- at least he's giving the current establishment a fight. Who the fuck else is there to prevent cinema from turning into nothing but overblown CGI franchise bullshit flicks?

Couldn't they just take planes that are roughly the same size and put cardboard on them to make them look like ww2 planes?

Will Aidan Gillen star in the kino?

Breaking news: Most people involved with art and/or making movies are massive dicks.

No you fucking moron

I would've gone for Zayn, but still that's weird. There are plenty of young actors, actual actors who are growing up on the stage and screen. And you cast this nobody.

Don't mind me, just posting the superior war film. Dunkirk will be decked out in cinematography, bloom effect and some M. Night subplot.

seriously

kubrick was a COMPLETE autistic asshole

>the sail plan I just filed with the british fishers lists Smee, Maimen, Dr. Schmidther, Buttonly and Huan Ovyu

truly the Kubrick of this generation

I expect it to be something like Pearl Harbor, where the British get beaten by trickery and deception and then they take most daring covert mission for revenge

T. Tanned Frenchman

>Score by Hans Zimmer

Just listen to The Rock's OST. It'll be the same shit.

Zimmermeme should have retired.

He tries, that I will concede, but he always falls short. But he's drunk off his own success, convinced he's providing the audience with an "intelligent" alternative to men in spandex and monsters (hence the convoluted plots and terrible expositions).

Michael Mann is the only director currently working who makes blockbusters for adults. His movies are extremely refreshing and offers a welcome respit from both superheroes as well as Nolan's "everyone is mildly mentally deficient"-universes. I don't know how he gets to keep making movies considering almost everything flops, but someone seems to be willing to bankroll Mann ever at a financial loss, and I'm thankful for that.

nothing
Sup Forums will love it

mann hasn't really done anything worth a damn in over 10 years. great action director but yea, 10 years man

I see your point, but there are lots of others filmmakers out there...Nolan is the tip of the iceberg, but if you think he's arthouse because he doesn't do CGI or franchise movies, you're blinding yourself.

yeah i guess, it's just that he has a bigger mouth than others right now. When Ridley Scott is pretentious though, you realise he did The duellists, Alien and Blade Runner...and that he actually can be pretentious if he wants to be. So what if he makes 3 shitty movies out of 5...

Blackhat was terrific.