Prove to me that this isn't the best jazz album of the decade

Prove to me that this isn't the best jazz album of the decade.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fpHMD9F640M
rateyourmusic.com/collection/pabanks/strm_h,ss.ed.rd/jazz
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/king_tears_bat_trip/king_tears_bat_trip/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/andromeda_mega_express_orchestra/bum_bum/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/peter_evans_quintet/ghosts/
youtube.com/watch?v=tUZsjJiFAvU&ab_channel=MatthewMorgan
m.youtube.com/watch?v=LBbAgxNUhIc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

well what other jazz albums from this decade have you heard?

Why does that matter?

well you'd no doubt think I was crazy if I claimed to know the best hip hop album of the decade and I'd listened to less than five hip hop albums from the decade, right?

Why don't you tell me what you like about the album or what makes it the best album of the decade?

I've heard more than 5

how about if you don't count anything by BBNG or Fire! Orchestra?

Fuck you. You can't just arbitrarily decide rules like that

kek. I'm just busting your balls little buddy. but I'll assume from your overly defensive response that removing those artists would bring it down lower than five.

anyway, I see you managed to avoid telling me a single thing you like about it or what makes it better than any other jazz album this decade.

OP you have to listen to more than two albums in the genre to make a declarative statement like that, sorry

It's not even close.
youtube.com/watch?v=fpHMD9F640M

So what's the magic number? How many do I have to hear before I'm allowed to think that The Epic is the best?

I don't think there's any definitive number or anything but there have been seven complete years so far this decade, so I'd say you should probably listen to a minimum of ten from each year if you want to get a pretty good idea of the best within that time period. So that's seventy. How close are you?

>So what's the magic number? How many do I have to hear before I'm allowed to think that The Epic is the best?
There isn't one and you're allowed to think whatever the fuck you want with as much or as little justification as you'd like.
Just don't expect anyone to think you have a clue what you're talking about or that your opinion has more than the tiniest shred of legitimacy.

So tell me some jazz albums that are better then

t. pleb

Jesus man what's up your ass. Go to rym or Pitchfork and see for yourself. No one's going to lay out 7 years worth of music for you

I'd like to do that, but first I'd really like you to tell me just a few things you liked about the album and what you think makes it better than other jazz albums.

This is the third time I've asked. Why is that so difficult for you?

anything 2 stars or higher on here

rateyourmusic.com/collection/pabanks/strm_h,ss.ed.rd/jazz

this.
But here's a pic to make it easy. RYM tends to listen to a lot of meme jazz and p4k is fucking awful.

Fuck you. I bet you listen to shitty regressive boring jazz anyway

specifically

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/king_tears_bat_trip/king_tears_bat_trip/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/andromeda_mega_express_orchestra/bum_bum/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/peter_evans_quintet/ghosts/

OP BTFO
kek

>regressive, boring
>listens to kamasi

this is when i knew it was a troll

nice bait

>regressive jazz
Man, like a whole disc of The Epic is pretty obviously heavily influenced by 70s jazz.

Name me one previous album that sound's like the epic

epic is an extremely boring version of lesser works by pharoah sanders... maybe weaker artists on the spiritual jazz comps will seem amazing to you - start there

A Love Supreme

I love The Epic, but the Coltrane influence is pretty fuckin' obvious

which ones specifically? never heard any pharoah album that has a whole string section

kamasi's playing might sound a little like coltrane but the epic sounds literally nothing like a love surpreme are you serious

You misspelled "all time"

You said "sounds like". If his playing sounds like Coltrane even if its "a little", then they still sound alike. There are obviously a lot of cues from spiritual jazz artists. The addition of a string section only adds on to The Epic, it doesn't mean that other artists can influence it.

no.

so any artist who sounds even a little like coltrane is bad?

shit taste desu

youtube.com/watch?v=tUZsjJiFAvU&ab_channel=MatthewMorgan
Albeit, with less glitz.

Where did you get that? Did you even read my fucking comment? I said I love The Epic. Just because an artist is influenced by something doesn't make it bad, but denying that there is an influence at all is ridiculous.

mental gymnastics over here.
literally anything Monk ever did beats it, except Monk's Blues, which kinda sucks.

Notice how OP has still not even been able to name a single thing that he likes about the album.

You know the epic is bad because of the terrible album cover. If you want jazz then you need to find albums with good cover art like pic related.

>60s Monk with a big band conducted by Oliver Nelson
That sounds fucking sick. What's wrong with it?

big band. that's what's wrong with it. cool if you like it, but that's wholly uninteresting to me. i haven't heard big band that i like that wasn't Duke. and even with Duke, i respect the compositions more than the bands.

>i respect the compositions more than the bands.
that's how big band is supposed to be

lol i bet you haven't heard 90% of these, but ok

What is meme jazz?

It's 3 hours. It should be 40 minutes.

>big band. that's what's wrong with it.
Huh, I thought Monk at Town Hall was pretty great. Monk is a bit of a weird pairing with a big band but it works surprisingly well...mostly cause the arrangements suit his style so well. Don't know how Nelson would write for him...but most of the arrangements I've heard him do were pretty great and he worked with some pretty out there players before.
>I haven't heard big band that i like that wasn't Duke
Really? At all? Not even Mingus?

on what album did Mingus do big band?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=LBbAgxNUhIc

I'll leave this here for you to decide.

A term autistic people use to justify what they like or don't like.

this is well on its way to becoming 2017's The Epic

Kind of like "autistic"?

I really like Tyshawn Sorey

This was released 2 years before that and is 10x better.

>never explains what is so good about the epic

Depending on how "big" a big band has to be, Black Saint, Town Hall, Mingus x5 and Epitaph.
He also had some much bigger projects on some early non-album releases ala the Dizzy Gillespie big band too. There's a great comp called The Young Rebel that collects a lot of that early stuff, including some other non-big band stuff.

A pejorative term for modern jazz made to appeal to pop/rock fans.

Nah, it doesn't have the weight of people like Flylo and Kendrick behind it. It's more like Fire! Orchestra. Which is appropriate, cause they come out of the same scene and are somewhat musically similar.

>no reviews

bc it' bait

>list of best jazz of 2010s
>no william parker
maybe its just a straight ahead list?
>Brotzmann with rock band
cmon user, have some respect for my teacher...easily in best albums of the decade.

review cuck

hi jtg...hows criss cross treating you?

Black Saint & Sinner Lady and Mingus x5 didn't honestly feel that big band-y to me. Sure the ensembles are bigger, but i've always thought of big band as a genre having single parts played by multiple horns. like trumpet first part has 2 trumpets etc. so you get a lot of unison in melody and harmony. those two albums seem so frantic and busy that there's more depth. i can definitely hear the big band influence in some parts of a song, but they don't feel as shallow as a benny goodman tune or something. but maybe that's what good big band is. nevertheless, monk's blues still didn't impress me.

i haven't listened to epitaph and i think i've listened to town hall but i can't remember it.

It's deffinitely not perfect. Pic related was by far one of the most original jazz albums I've ever heard and really ought to have been on it too.
Still, it's a good resource with some class albums from across a reasonably wide spectrum.
>Parker with Craig Taborn
Huh...didn't know this was a thing. Thanks for the rec user!

Their releases have been a little disappointing lately actually. Not me that you quoted btw. Apparently Criss Cross album covers have become a meme.

Playing any burnout with Tim lately?

In my mind, it's the point where using the -tet suffix starts sounding stupid. So basically, after tentet is where I start thinking of ensembles as small big bands.
Still doe, I think it'd be worth your while listening to some big bands from the bebop era through to modern day. Don't know what you're into, but there are some pretty class groups out there in a bunch of different styles. There's probs something you'd like.

Prove to me that this isn't the worst jazz album of the decade.

>BBNG
>jazz
o i am laffin

i'll look into it. i usually think of big band as a genre though. maybe i'm biased cause i work at a record store and when people ask what kind of records we buy i say, no big band (usually cite benny goodman or glenn miller), no adult contemporary (streisand, manilow), and no classical. so, to me it feels like a genre. that and big band proper sorta died once bebop took over, so it feels like an era, as well.

i'll check some stuff out though.

oh yeah i was mostly just fuckin with ya and bragging about studying with william. its a pretty good list! nice mix, kinda stays away from some of the more obnoxious stuff happening these days. and i liked that brotzmann record with the rock band. man Farmers by Nature is the shit, you have to listen to that shit! they have three records but the one i posted is my favorite.

ah, bummer the label isnt doing well. i dont love a lot of the stuff on their but they definitely have a sound which i respect and i think theyve done a good job of knowing how to market jazz in the modern day. haha no burnout with tim recently but ill see him tomorrow. he heard me play last week and said i sounded like a baaad dude on this straight 8ths fuck music tune from the 90s so i was proud.

playing in richmond anytime soon?

hmm, not anything i know of as of now. im probably going to be in philly all summer but ill probably play when im down there at some point after may. how you liking the city? see any good music?

haven't seen that much yet. busy with other stuff but a couple weeks ago I saw the trumpet prof at U of R doing some Latin jazz and the group was pretty good. I didn't get a chance to talk to the saxophonist so I don't know who he was but he was killing.

kek are you faggots just roleplaying?

name ur top 7 jazz releases of the 70's or gtfo

all of them

oh i know that trumpet prof, i got called to sub in that band a day after getting my wisdom teeth removed and the conga player was legit cuban. its the worst ive ever done on a gig. long and embarassing on every tune. vcu in general will have better stuff then u of r.

Sorry OP, but this is.

fuck I don't listen to much 70's jazz. These are them in no particular order:

Dexter Gordon - Lullaby for a Monster
Weather Report - Black Market
Miles Davis - Dark Magus
Stan Getz & Bill Evans - But Beautiful
Joe Henderson - In Japan
McCoy Tyner - Enlightenment
Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay (lol)

solid...but i hate red clay...and no ornette or american quartet. cmon man!

Red Clay's a guilty pleasure, hence the (lol). Do you play?

Kamasi isn't a good player and it gets really obvious once you start realizing how often he uses the same licks all the time. Plus that record isn't innovative. He just ripped of 80's stuff but worse. This style was done over 30 years ago.

What's wrong with Red Clay? I love that album, funky as fuck.

This.
Far from everyone involved's peak performances, but calling it a guilty pleasure is really selling it short. It's smooth, but not that smooth.