HBO is looking for a new fantasy series to adapt once GoT is over and you are in charge of picking which one it is...

HBO is looking for a new fantasy series to adapt once GoT is over and you are in charge of picking which one it is. Which one do you pick?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N2UTPombvgc
youtube.com/watch?v=cRZHeZ6WwAY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Dwarves desu

Gormenghast

Nothing, because fantasy is gay

its not very good but I think its the type of stuff HBO would love reworking.

Malazan or Stormlight Archive if they could talk Sanderson into making it less pg-13

Bakker's Second Apocalypse series, preferably the first trilogy.
I'd sell my left nut for adaptation.

Been done
youtube.com/watch?v=N2UTPombvgc

The next most reddit fantasy series, after ASOIAF, would be wheel of time or malazan

they made a womb of me

OP's sex life

Ring of Nibelung adapted into a movies would be interesting.

I choose Vlad Taltos series. Mobster assassin in a fantasy setting that gets into turf wars and set to assassunate sorcorers. Shit is so cash

I started reading the first wheel of time book because I listened to /tv. 900 pages of boring shit with completely one dimensional characters. Makes ASOIAF look like art. Fuck you /tv.

I don't remember that. Is it from the last book? Waiting for the ebook to be released

Malazan is pretty damn well unadaptable. Wheel of Time would be really hard too. Level and frequency of magic is just too high.

BERSERK

The Silmarillion Anthology Miniseries

Too bad Christopher is a huge weener.

The witcher is the only decent choice, really. There's just no contest. It's simply the smartest take on the genre.

Wheel of Time is a slog, some parts are really really good but a lot of it is weird filler and the author inputting his own really weird ideas about men and women into a book series. Malazan is a different beast, best fantasy series I've read. First book is awful though, written a long time before the next 9. Not even a bad idea to start on book 2.

ayyyyyyy

The games are much better than the books. That says something

THE VOYAGE OF DAVID ANTHONY

youtube.com/watch?v=cRZHeZ6WwAY

They're good series adaptation material, though. No 'deeper' message that can be botched. As long as they keep the charm of the novels, especially the short stories, and cast the characters right, it's pretty much guaranteed to be a very enjoyable tv-series.

now that we've realized that book series don't work as movies but they do as TV shows i would say Harry Potter

also, i don't know any other fantasy series

I couldn't stop thinking of how autistic the author must be because every single female character-even all the background characters- are super stronk sassy women that all the men are subordinate to because they are all huge betas.

if they were clever, they'd do something fun and out-there; different from GoT

Pic related is the only answer

Agree, but it's not the only answer, Myth Adventures is also viable.

Bookzz.org
Never pay for a book again

They're already doing the name of the wind.

Otherwise, Dune would be lovely.

I'll settle for Conan the barbarian.

Solid pick right here though. It's BSF but would be awesome on tv. Fantasy Sharpe would be really fun.

The wheel of time :^)

If you could get jk to sign away the writing to someone else it'd perfect. Universe is cool but her characters and plotlines are just too shit.

The important question is: who do we cast as Croaker?

I think this is the best choice. I don't have anything to add, but just want to talk about First Law

Benioff and Weiss are good at making filler not seem filler

Would be amazing if done right.

MISTBORN NIGGAS

Too bad SyFy is already adapting it. It's going to be terrible.

Thats the one by Marcus Heitz right? Aren't they making a game of it?

Forgot image.

I just want my medieval Gettysburg.

The heroes> Best Served Cold>Last Arguments of Kings> Before they are Hanged>Red Country> The Blade Itself.

Redwall.

Literally impossible

I'd watch if it was David Lynch with a Swans soundtrack tho

Totally unfilmable. They even gave up on adapting it as a graphic novel.

It's more historical fiction than fantasy, but HBO should adapt The Accursed Kings. It's like GoT but good.

these were the first two that came to mind

Neuromancer. It'd also be very appropriate/timely.

the forgotten realms drizzt series because it's the only one i've read

but it would need a ridiculous budget to be watchable

REEEEEEEEEEEEE I don't want my stupid fantasy books to be adapted REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeee

Is Abercrombie's stuff worth getting into? I've had The Blade Itself sitting on one of my bookshelves for years.

I don't like graphic novels, but I would've read that. I'm interested in how they would picture the world.

The Demon Cycle books. Though I hated the last one.

Gor

The lies of locke lamora is good

Oh shit I'm sold, start on Book of the new Sun?

I didn't really like it. Reads like a young adult novel. None of his characters are really likeable or even interesting, save for one.
Read Bakker instead, if you're looking for gritty fantasy.
Prince of Nothing is the best fantasy trilogy from the past decade

First book is decent but the rest are far better. There's a huge jump in quality from 1 to 2 and I consider book 5 to be among the best fantasy novels ever written.

Wild Cards is fantasy enough right?

Das Kapital is a pretty good fantasy book. HBO wouldn't have much trouble finding a fan base.

This or the Rigante series directed by prime peter jackson would be god tier

Say what you want about his sycophants, but ol' Uncle Karl was right about quite a few things.

Elric.

This is an amazing series. Especially that book. Though it will never work because either they speak french and no one will watch it or they speak English and it's a complete joke.

It needed to be a show, but they had to go and ruin it

Y the Last Man plus it's already storyboarded

>nobody will watch a show with French dialog and English subtitles
Why? Is reading that much of a hassle?

Blame King. He's the one that okayed everything we've seen and heard about the film thus far.

Didn't he hate Kubrick's Shining for deviating from the book? Boggles the mind.

Also to my knowledge there are already two french tv series adatption.

Jackson is a shell of his former self. Legend shouldn't be an action movie; it's about a fading old man going to his last battle. I don't really know who I would give it to.

>HBO is looking for a new fantasy series to adapt once GoT
No they're not. Fantasy is over for HBO.

>Why? Is reading that much of a hassle?
Do your actually need to ask this? We're talking about something that replaces GoT for fuck's sake.

Also yeah Americans most likely won't watch it.

Gentleman Bastards.

>Prince of Nothing is the best fantasy trilogy from the past decade
That's not Stormlight Archive.

I know it has an adaptation already, but it looks cheesy. If you put some of that HBO money behind the series you can get the GOAT tv show.

thanks for playing the game, raging autist-san

Gentlemen Bastards, Stormlight, Dresden Files, or Malazan

Nah. Better let french people do it and target french audiences with it. Americans are too dumb especially GoT viewers.

Kubrick's Shining deviated from the book and tried to have a different meaning and it threw King's story out the window is why I think he hated it.
So far the biggest problem I see with the movie is the character design, and Roland's race change.
If they can leave it with only those few changes it seems it can be okay

Yurope

>So far the biggest problem I see with the movie is the character design, and Roland's race change.

I don't even have an issue with the race change, but yeah, the character design is fucking terrible. Especially Flagg,

Discworld.

not who you quoted but thanks, very nice site

I would much prefer something original, otherwise Stormlight Archive no doubt.

When the Stormlight Archive series is finished (Can't see Sanderson finishing it for at least another 10 years) it would be an amazing tv series.

The only issue here is that if I've read something I know how it goes and TV producers will inevitably dumb down the plot for casuals or shrink the story down character and location wise which will really ruin it for me....much like ASOIAF has been ruined

I know it's sci-fi and not fantasy, but a Foundation series would be pretty neat.

How about they fucking finish Rome instead?

animorphs

>Finish Rome
>Pullo and Vorenus take part in Roman history up until the fall of the western empire in 476 A.D.

I don't have a problem with the race change either except for the fact that for the second book the conflict will have to change between him and Odetta.
The character design though, Roland looks like a fucking hobo with guns and all this heavy ass equipment

Came here to post this.

Seriously Black Company would be sweet as fuck. It's basically like Generation Kill, but from the point of view of mercenaries putting down a rebellion on behalf of a Dark Empire.

Plus The Taken were all seriously scary dudes. Although The Limper does get used way too much.

Markus Heitz is one of my favourite authors and the dwarves is an amazing series. As long as Dabid and Dan don't get their filthy hands on it, pls HBO

>wheel of time less reddit than ASOIAF

You literally have never read a book in your life, have you?

it would attract the same manchild demographic as GOT that's for sure

This was basically my experience, except I actually really liked ASOIAF, at least the first three books. WoT was the most generic fantasy schlock I could imagine outside of a Drizzt novel, I couldn't believe it's so well-regarded. People say it gets better, but I'm not bothering.

Drizzet, and all the Dark Elves are played by asian guys in blackface.

I started reading the wheel of time series as a kid, but I stopped after the second book gave me weird feelings I didn't understand. (I popped my first boner at the lesbian magic slavery part).

Mists of Avalon style Arthurian tale

Third one was my favourite desu, only on the 9th tho

well "science fantasy"

Black Company