Disappointing Albums That You Were Really Hyped About

I don't think there's been an album that I was more hyped for only to be crushed by how not that good it was than Foxygen and Star Power.
I was stoked over the first single but the rest of the album was such amateurish mess.

This

when have they never been amateur trash?

Painting with and Centipede Hz

I'm now fully convinced AnCo is shit

2nd Avalanches album

Everything else is great
They may wear their influences too heavily on their sleeves but I love their first two releases and I was very pleasantly surprised by Hang.
And live Foxygen is about as close as you can get to seeing a 60s/early 70s band live in their prime.

Animal Collective is the kind of band faux cool kids like to pretend is good.

I feel bad for you guys

I was trashing this album at a bar before the Foxygen show several days ago only to realize Sam France was at the table next to us. To be fair I said it had moments of greatness that make it worth listening to and I was full of compliments for Hang and Taking The Kids Off Broadway. Not bullshitting, this actually happened, which is why I'm so surprised to see someone posting about it.

Did he respond ?

Nope, probably beneath him. Seems like a great guy regardless of the stupid band breakup rumors a couple years ago.

really? seems like a total weirdo. just caught a foxygen live show in Boston and he must've been tripping something serious, felt like he was singing karaoke. band played well though.

lawls that's awesome

I was at the Boston show actually. Weirdo is just sort of his live shtick. I thought it was a great show.
(OP here)

>implying any album lives up to the hype

Being an amateurish mess is what makes it so entertaining tho.

This 1000x

I get that
I don't hate it, Star Power just wasn't what I was expecting it to be.
Considering how long it took to record, I was expecting it to be a lot more put together with better production.
I guess I was expecting the production of 21st Century Ambassadors combined with the creative song writing of Take the Kids off Broadway, expanded into a double album.

I thought the most recent of Montreal album was going to be a return to form based on the first few singles but it ended up sucking pretty bad

Not gonna lie that album cover put me off so much, what were they thinking?

Yeah it's a little much

I liked Innocence Reaches but it didn't have a constant sound or theme like most of Montreal albums
Kind of sounds like left overs from the past few albums