Itt: post movies you've had in your backlog/on your harddrive forever and anons tell you whether or not to watch it

itt: post movies you've had in your backlog/on your harddrive forever and anons tell you whether or not to watch it

1st Matrix Movie ,Space Odyssey and Clockwork Orange

hey man come over saturday night we'll watch it i got a nice bluray of it

yeah. it's quite ebin

Creed?

All worth a watch. Even clockwork edgy.

Watch it
Watch Space Odyssey
Watch it

12 Years a Slave

Todd Haynes's Safe
Ken Russell's The Devils

>matrix
so much a part of the popular culture you've pretty much already seen it without seeing it. action isn't cool if you're 16+ and the movie isn't smart if you've ever heard of descartes or read a philip k dick book
>space odyssey
absolutely watch. much like the matrix you probably know everything to expect, but it's an amazing experience
>clockwork orange
if you've put it off for a while and aren't interested you can probably pass this one up. good movie, but not for everyone. looks at the decay of society, thought police, youth gangs, and concepts of morality

this one was hard for me to appreciate the first time. if it's your first fellini don't expect to love it, but i think it's certainly worth a watch. fellini eventually won me over with 8 1/2 and Nights of Cabiria, and i've enjoyed La Dolce Vita more since

Those are Kubrick's worst imo. Watch Eyes Wide Shut, Paths of Glory, and Dr. Strangelove.

the romance felt a bit forced, but if you liked the Rockys you will probably like it

pic related?

You think I should watch 8 1/2 first? Any other Fellini I should watch before La Dolce Vita.
This movie is really great, don't let the people saying "it's boring" fool you. Pay attention to the technical aspects and you'll have a great time.

I already know I should watch it. That's why it's been there so long.

The coolest movie ever. Best watched on a rainy day, but watch it anyway. ASAP.

LotR trilogy
I tried watching the first one but after like 40 mins and they're still in the shire I got bored and never bothered to finish them.
Shame because I hear they're supposed to be really good kek

Creed
Apocalypse Now
Platoon
Space Odyssey
Terminator 2
American Psycho
The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi, really liked the first movie but didn't watch the other two yet.

barry lyndon is the comfiest movie

It's the best Goddard flick

>You think I should watch 8 1/2 first? Any other Fellini I should watch before La Dolce Vita.

i think 8 1/2 is easier to swallow from a modern viewer's perspective, la dolce vita was made first however and had much more mainstream appeal so it's not like it's something you have to 'prepare' for

i just found 8 1/2 a more entertaining way to learn how to read a fellini film

Creed is surprisingly good, Stallone is great.
Haven't seen Apocalypse Now
Platoon is good, a great war movie
2001 is a snoozefest
Terminator 2 is literally one of the best sci-fi action movies of all time, how can you not have seen that before?
American Psycho is great but Sup Forums will have probably ruined every expression Bateman makes
All the original Star Wars are good

it's short, fun, and incredibly influential, you've got nothing to lose

if you are a rivette fan you won't be dissapointed. if you aren't a rivette fan the best way i can explain out 1 is like early Godard, Jim Jarmusch, and Thomas Pynchon collaborating on an improvised mystery thriller about people walking around paris and rehearsing stage plays

> mystery thriller about people walking around paris and rehearsing stage plays
you've convinced me

It's shit. Don't let the memesters on Sup Forums try to tell you it's good. If you want a good experience with some actual context as to what the fuck is going on, read the book.
It's a pretentious pile of garbage and nothing happens. Good visuals for the time though considering it was made (I believe) before man even set foot on the moon.

>doesn't like 2001
That's fair
>recommends the book over the movie
WHAAAAAAAAAAAT THE FUUUUCKCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKCKCKCKKCKCKCKKKKKKKKKK

the pleb is strong

The book just gives you a better grasp of what is going on and I did enjoy it more than the movie.

Don't watch it op unless you like surprise anti homophobia THE MOVIE

which one of these three should I watch first?

My best friend said to watch In Burges

except for some early chapters, the book is pretty much a transcription of the movie. why would you want the same experience minus the visuals (the films main pull) and poetic ambiguities?

LA Confidential right now.

Leaving Las Vegas is alright, Nic Cage is overrated for it. Elisabeth Shue is great in it.

You should watch all of these

doesn't matter, just watch em

If you're a big fan of the Rocky movies, you'll like Creed.

in bruges
skip
skip
watch
watch
watch
watch
skip

I still remember my uncle in the 90s renting LA Confidential and I couldn't watch it. I guess the time is now user.

btw I like nic cage, I hope he's decent in las vegas.

Ishtar

I like Cage too and he is good in it, I think his performance is overrated though. Hope you enjoy.

Barry Lyndon, I'm hoping to read capture the feel of Amadeus

The Matrix trilogy has been seriously thought out to be "experienced" in both film and video game format, as otherwise it's imperfect and leaves out too much. I assume you've seen the other films but haven't played the games, you should nonetheless at least try to find something that pieces together the entire story/theme laid out throughout the media.

The first one however, easily stands on its own and has been incredibly influential.

let me be the dissenting opinion and say I thought LA Confidential was fucking horrible, especially as a fan of film noir

Make sure you watch the 4 hour extended cut to soak in all the kino.

Heres my backlog:
Blade Runner
Total Recall
Dollars Trilogy
Zulu
Most of Tarantino's filmography besides Django Unchained (Already seen it).

>Zulu
pretty meh
wouldn't go out of my way

The first 20 or so minutes, ending with the people are sitting in the dark, having finished watching left me absolutely breathless. I couldn't believe how timeless that entire sequence was.

Other than that, you might find the movie to be well done but not spectacular, unless you can recognise how pioneering it was for the cinema.

He should watch everything. And those aren't his worst. In fact, 2001 is his best. Lolita and Killers kiss, The Killing and Lolita are all worse than ACO. But it's not great. Not great at all.

>Zulu

Same here.

That one completely flew over my head. Absolutely nothing of its atmosphere was convincing or gripping. Yes, I know it's about Europe on the brink of war, I gathered as much.

I'm concerned with the fact I don't recognise why this film was competing with Citizen Kane for the "best film ever made" position.

please tell me what to watch and what to delete

Was meant to

I love Lawrence of Arabia. God tier movie. Loved it to pieces

I heard the new Battlefield game is going to let you play as him, Camel charges and all. Actually sounds kinda fun but sure as fuck not blowing 60 bucks for like 4 of 5 hours of novelty entertainment at best. Might red box it.

The irony of course is that the real TE Lawrence would likely be appalled and disgusted at his likeness used to promote a violent video game that essentially celebrates trivialises and glorifies the war he lived through.

>watch
f for fake
boss nigger
ip man 1 and 2
hiroshima mon amour
get carter
gone with the wind
400 blows
falstaff
seventh seal
great dictator

>delete
THX 1138
stephen king's IT
the presitge

Watch, it really lives up to the hype

All worth a watch

Creed was pretty good

It's a good movie and all, it's worth seeing. Just... make sure you're in a patient mood

The Seventh Seal has a powerful ending but it's better to read up on Bergman and how his view on life shaped his movies.

The Great Dictator is a classic and even though not all of its gags survived the test of time, it's still a solid choice.

Ip Man 1+2 are filled to the brim with propaganda, if you can swallow that, then the fight scenes are quite decent.

Red Dragon, The Prestige are decent, easy to watch.

As for the rest... watch the opening sequence. If you're drawn in, watch the rest, otherwise give it up. You don't have to endure anything unless you're afraid you might miss something like is the case with Resnais or some other director of that caliber.

Don't watch 2001, watch Paths of Glory

2001 sucks and is only praised by wannabe patricians. You'll understand if you ever watch it.

BR, Dollars, Tarantino are all obviously a go.

2001 is must watch, ACO is optional, Matrix you could take or leave

I liked Creed even though I've never seen any of the Rocky movies.

The Empire Strikes Back is better than A New Hope so definitely watch it. Return of the Jedi is the worst in the original trilogy but it's still worth watching.

Cape Fear (the Scorsese one)

Braveheart

Stardust

The Master

Basic Instinct

patton
opinions on pic related?

I kept reading that there was some controversy behind casting O'Toole in as Lawrence for being to handsome. But he looks extremely identical.

Fun movie with a fucking fantastic ending

It had Goebbel's seal of approval. Still a good movie, especially Peter Lorre's role.

Great movie.

Good fun.

Rushmore?

The Book is shit and you are a fucking autist for not being able to see 2001 as a metaphorical movie.

Fucking plebs these days. I bet you also complain about "nothing going on" in mad men or only god forgives.

Fucking disgusting, 2001 and Barry Lyndon are the only possible answers for Kubricks best.

More like skip your advice

Beasts of the Southern Wild
Ikiru
Last Tango in Paris
Let the Right One In
The 39 Steps
The Tree of Life
Upstream Color

I've had Minority Report for a long time. I love based Cruiser but I'm not sure what to expect from this. How action-y is it (more is good for me)?

Also Casualties of War, Windy City Heat, Black Christmas, Communion and Fire in the Sky

My fucking nigger. Perfect recs, although I still think 2001 is a masterpiece

I prefer 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I can understand why one could consider Strangelove his best.

LTROI is top 10 for me. Watch it ASAP. Only problem is the dub.

These are just what's been on HD the longest. I'll probably watch them all eventually.

With all the Kubrick talk in here I feel the need to highly recommend The Killing, one of his best early films and a very strong noir story