What are people in your country taught about the American Civil War?

What are people in your country taught about the American Civil War?

Here we're taught the North was jealous of the South having too much gold so they tried to set the gold-digging slaves free to disrupt the gold mines.

Then the South tried to leave but North said no and took all the gold. And that's why gold is so expensive today.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTj0TgyGH8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

School in France doesn't teach american "History".

We were taught the North opposed the slavery in the South and that's why the war started

wasn't the banishment of slavery just a side product which changed along the years as the "main" reason for the war?

same here

no

I don't remember. Maybe touched upon in the high school (lukio) if you take more than the obligatory history classes.

Nothing? At least I don't remember anything about it.

Another slaughter of a generation men. We actually got perspectives of both the north and the south.

Pretty interesting.

Our government like, many europeans, send money to the south. And that's all.

>What are people in your country taught about the American Civil War?
Nothing. The only paragraph mentioning America was about them throwing British tea into the ocean.

I must say that is the most silly thing I have ever heard

Finn is right

The reason why the South seceded was because Lincoln was elected, and it was implied that he would abolish slavery despite him saying many times that he would not
Rather than have to deal with the repercussions they wished for self-determination

The Emancipation Proclamation came around as a way to disrupt the Southern economy, it didn't work too well because the US couldn't enforce it since it only applied to Confederate territory

The war was started to preserve the union, as the war went on it shifted to freeing slaves to make it a moral/religious crusade

Americans helped provide humanitarian aid during the Siege of Paris in the Franco-Prussian War

Merci beaucoup

nothing
all i know is that it was merchants vs racists, and iirc the former won as always

In other words Yankees vs Dixies.

This

m.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTj0TgyGH8

Leftist agenda tells us that the South was evil because >muh slavery

Yes they do. Lafayette and shit, remember? How old are you?

I'm sad that so many of you who were taught about it were taught completely wrong shit. I'm not really surprised that some of you weren't taught about it at all. We aren't any more important than anyone else and they don't really teach us much about other countries histories outside the cold war besides the British. And that other american didn't really explain the intricacies or the general gist very well, but it's in the same vein as what he said.

Russia was the only European power to support the Union during the USA's civil war.

France and Britain were leaning on support of the Confederacy, but the Union's navy was too strong for trade/blockades.

Russia was just doing it to fuck with Britain. Same reason they sold us Alaska.

Fucking with Britain is a noble aim compared to "Britain wants cotton from our slaves"

High fucking moral ground from a country that abolished slavery within their territory. "We'll ban it here, but let's continue to rely on slave labor of other countries."

American sweatshops like Nike and Levi-Strauss and outsourcing to suicide-net Shenzhen is basically the same hypocrisy in modern times.

We learn about it via cultural osmosis more than anything. In school it's tangentially touched upon so we can discuss Canada's role in the Underground Railroad prior to the war.