Be honest he affects your opinions whether you like it or not

be honest he affects your opinions whether you like it or not

Other urls found in this thread:

journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1046496405281772
academia.edu/1046347/When_mere_exposure_leads_to_less_liking_The_incremental_threat_effect_in_intergroup_contexts
youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU
youtube.com/watch?v=JxVBmNpYtYM&ab_channel=theneedledrop
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>another e-celeb thread

I honestly don't know his opinions

yeah right everyone watches his reviews like it or not stop lying

you should unironically leave Sup Forums right now

kek

I mean, if you watch anything it's going to affect your opinion somehow.

Anything you watch is going to impact you in someway, and with reviews there are two options:

1. You disagree
2. You agree

If you disagree two things are going to happen:

1. It's going to change your view--either you will revisit the album (assuming you do) and consider his points, and you might see the validity in them,

or

2. you will revisit the album and, while still considering his views, not see the validity in them and you'll dislike the album even more because you relistened to it in a different context, and from both ends you disliked it.

if you agree with his view your view will be solidified and you will feel as though you aren't the only one who likes the album.

all of these are basic psychological principles

based on basic psychological principles, my b

yeah thats what i mean thats why i said it but good job

Nice projection you pleb.

Sup Forums makes up about 85% of his audience

No one else gives a fuck about him.

nah, I'm with the dude you responded to, i don't know his opinions (at least in the past couple years) because i haven't watched him at all. not trying to meme or anything, i think he's pretty hack-y (doesn't actually know that much about music, but plays it off like he does anyway, and his fans eat it up).

but to be honest, music reviews as a whole are fucking stupid, even if Fantano's format is among the best.

i just check on his channel to see which new albums have come out, and then i go and listen to the album without ever watching his review

>doesn't actually know that much about music, but plays it off like he does anyway, and his fans eat it up
This is the impression I've always gotten. Just a guy with a Youtube channel.

well there it is then he affected you

>semantics that have nothing to do with even viewing the guy's videos

HA I WIN

Somebody with musical aptitude of a 7 year old affecting me, a multi instrumentalist/music teacher's judgement. No.

it still counts cause he showed you the artists for you to listen too right?

well, i wasn't the guy you originally responded to, i was just pointing out how dumb your comment was.

but if i were to counter, i'd say he could get the same amount of info from browsing the catalogue here. it's basically the same shit, because Sup Forums loves dude, and he tries to have his finger on the pulse of "hip" music. that's why he doesn't do just the biggest releases or just a particular genre, he's intentionally trying to appeal to internet hipsters and "patricians" and it's working, unfortunately.

I doubt whether I've heard more than 3 albums that he's reviewed

Wrong. I actually get all of my opinions from Piero Scaruffi.

i didn't think it was him but you're wrong he genuinely looks for the best music he can find on band camp and is probably the best at discovering the coolest most experimental and challenging guys out there in the music world today

this is such a simple thing why do people need this explained to them?

youtube made them stupid

this is why I chose to stay away from his opinions. I feel like I'll form better truer opinions without the shadow of Fantano's judgement looming over me

He gave the new Mount Eerie a 9, I give it a 6. But I guess you must be right.

>the best at discovering the coolest most experimental and challenging guys out there in the music world today

FUCKING LOL TELL ME THIS IS BAIT

hes not as popular only on mu and doesn't have close to the affect of fantano plus he never looks on band camp either cause he's old

he just seems like an english major spweing dumbass opinions about music. Didn't he play bass (badly) in some really shitty band once?

which ones?

Not at all. More than anything it's pathetic that you even have an image of him saved on your HD, and made a thread about him instead of making a thread on music you want to discuss.

You guys are ridiculous.

I've heard him trash an album I like while still making valid criticisms and I still like the album the same. I've heard him praise parts of an album I dislike, and think he's fucking clueless. So many of you are pathetic and approach music in all the worst ways.

its true, he finds all the newest sounding stuff and people who are groundbreaking and making new genres etc

i haven't watched dude in a couple years. give me examples.

who else is there then?

I listen to everything he reviews, but I don't watch his reviews until after I've listened to the album

i don't think any major music reviewer (youtube-based or otherwise) is particularly good at that. Fantano seems like he browses Sup Forums and lets what's hot here dictate what he reviews. that doesn't mean he is getting to the source, he's letting us assholes do his work for him, and when he's contrarian about it he gets more views. it's pretty fucking simple.

if i'm being honest, the individuals on forums like this are thousands of times better about this than any reviewer i've seen, we fucking geeks dedicate way too much time to it.

the "agree" argument is based on the group think principles, and the reversed-mere exposure effect-- where if you dislike something your dislike of it will be solidified and then heightened because you were rexposed to it.

1. journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1046496405281772
2. academia.edu/1046347/When_mere_exposure_leads_to_less_liking_The_incremental_threat_effect_in_intergroup_contexts

Is Samuel Andreyev the pre-eminent music critic of our time?

youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU

iglooghost, mount eerie demo drive are all doing new and experimental sounding stuff. he basically found them all. I mean he didn't really find them likes he's the first person but you know what i mean

not gonna lie, he did. i used to like Hopsin until i realized the truth in Anthony's criticisms of him.

thank you Fantano for saving me from a mediocre rapper.

>he basically found them all

>i mean he didn't

>you know what i mean

no, actually, i don't.

i don't care for reviews, but you're advocating for him because of his discovery properties. what has he actually "found" that i couldn't find by browsing Sup Forums or bandcamp or soundcloud for like 5 fucking minutes?

clipping I guess

yeah but the stuff you find doesn't become popular does it? that's why he's so good at finding talent

you really think he was onto clppng before Sup Forums, or even ME, a fucking busypleb? come on.

I pretty much only watch his think pieces

that wasn't the argument, but fine, let's talk about this.

it's like i already fucking said, he isn't the dude that finds this shit. the stuff he reviews is ALREADY POPULAR/HYPED among dedicated music-listening circles. there isn't a single thing i can think of (or that anyone has shown me in this thread) that he's actually sparked himself.

what about car seat headrest? what did they have like 100 or maybe a few more band camp sales before he showed the world about them?

what in the fuck are you talking about? wasn't the first CSH project he reviewed "Teens of Style"? as in, Will had already become so popular that he got a band and got signed to a major label? as in, Will had already made his magnum opus (Twin Fantasy)?

I hate fantano and his cancerous fanbase, but after all what new artists he is suppose to bring to the table? indie folk dudes on bandcamp or bedroom producers on soundcloud with less than 100 followers?

No not at all.
Sometimes Pitchfork reviews do, if I already liked the album, they can make me like it more because they can have a good way of describing them in more ways than just "WOW THIS ALBUM IS ETHEREAL IT'S GOOD IT REMINDS ME OF THIS ALBUM GUYS ON YOUTUBER MY FGRIENDS IT'S GOOD HERE COMES A SCORE"
He's not even a fucking music reviewer lmao he just says if he likes it or not, he doesn't do shit to actually dissect the music or its meaning.

he just goes "That song was GOOD" and spams adjectives, he doesn't describe them or use any creative way to describe it outside simple thesaurus whoring.

lmao dude what the fuck

I wasn't arguing that he "has" to be discovering shit all the time, or at all. some dude started arguing with me about how he finds stuff before anyone else, which is just patently false. that's what I'm arguing about. I actually agree with you, and if he were to be picking up unfindably obscure shit, it wouldn't be a very good business model. i'm just trying to help these melonfags realize that they don't need him.

DUDE ETHEREAL LMAO

Mastodon on suicide watch

His taste in fashion is a bad as his taste in music.

Well, he has a degree in journalism. Had his own radio show for years. Played in local bands from his area. Wrote for NPR as a music critic. Won a few beyond the blog awards amung others. And most importantly he has reviewed hundreds and hundreds of albums on his youtube channel over the past 7 years.

Yea he is just some guy, but so is everyone else. He just happens to be some guy that has a career being a music critic.

I've never understood the "just some guy" argument. He wasn't born with a supernatural ability to judge music. He fell in love with reviewing music and made it his career and has done well for himself.

"just some guy"? Yea, well, so are you and so is Jack White and so is Barrack Obama.

>basic psychological principles
huh, wow, yeah, i guess you're right.

>he wasn't born with a supernatural ability to judge music

yeah, and it shows. virtually nothing he says is of any substance whatsoever.

He's a great critic, enjoy his channel a lot.

Sometimes I disagree with him on things, other times he reinforces my pre-existing opinions which is nice. Mostly he introduces me to new artists and If he likes them I strive to find his appreciation for their sound. I hated Death Grips and then after I saw the Fantano reviews I was like well shit I should give them an actual try because I respect Fantano's opinions. Still took me like 2-3 more months of force-listening to DG before I started to like some of their stuff, still to this day I can't listen to full albums by them start to finish, but Fantano helped me appreciate a few songs and generally understand what they are about so that's cool. he's done that for me with a lot of bands.

There are some albums I really love that he hates, and vica versa.

Overall, he's great love his channel pretty funny guy.

unfortunately he doesnt know shit about electronic music. at least he doesnt try to act like he does anymore, so ive got no complaints there. still makes his channel pretty much useless for finding new music I'll actually listen to much, but he is a good presenter so I watch em sometimes anyways and its good to branch out and see what other scenes have been up to recently.

when i do watch his reviews i like watching the
review beforehand and trying to guess what the music will sound like, then listen to a track or two and see how close i was.

That statement was meant to prove how ridiculous the "just some guy" argument was.

Do you actually believe people are born with supernatural abilities? are you 13?

Tabula Rasa my friend.

People are shaped by their life experiences, their choices, their external stimulus. Aside from extremely rare cases of genetics (athletes usually), most people who succeed in their fields so do from dedicating their lives to their study or craft. Through hard work.

Sounds like something you wouldn't know anything about.

im one of the folks saying hes great and i will still totally agree with that. but what he says is loaded with style, and if you want substance you should be listening to the fucking album instead of a review of it. and besides, its more fun to watch when he has the opposite opinion as you, and the less substance he has the more thatll happen

melon pls go

the problem isnt your going on against the just some guy argument. the problem is that he's just some guy as in you pluck a random guy off Sup Forums and have them review some stuff. ie, not born with a supernatural ability nor particularly skilled through hard work. which is in turn a benefit because its more fun to watch a random guy who likes music but isnt crazy skilled and has weird or shit opinions sometimes than watch a music professor lecturing on it and bitching about whether their counterpoint was any good, etc.

>2017
>taking Locke seriously

>random guy on Sup Forums

So you think the average Sup Forumstant has a degree in journalism, worked as a professional music critic for national public radio, and has personally written and published hundreds and hundreds of music reviews across all genre's for almost the past decade?

You really think the average Sup Forumstant is as musically educated as that? seriously?

exactly what i mean

i'm not but i was born with ' "supernatural abilities" ', so it evens out

this is insanely pretentious, but despite Fantano dedicating his life to his "craft" it hasn't resulted in some sort of amazing insight or anything particularly interesting. that's why he uses his style as a crutch, the anti-humor, the cal, etc. i've never watched any of his reviews and thought to myself "huh, that's actually something i had never considered about the music."

totally agree, and what i've said to other people in this thread is that instead of looking to some youtuber music reviewer, you should listen to albums and make judgments for yourselves. and then, use your judgments of albums to pick out reviewers whose voices you value, i guess, mostly as a discovery tool. but i don't think fantano is a good discovery tool for anyone who spends any time on Sup Forums anyway, since nothing he reviews is anything that Sup Forums doesn't post about.

calm the fuck down, anthony. plus, education doesn't result in talent nor quality, necessarily.

>psychology
kek

>don't think fantano is a good discovery tool for anyone who spends any time on Sup Forums anyway, since nothing he reviews is anything that Sup Forums doesn't post about.
but its not because fantano only reviews things that mu/ would otherwise consume-- mu/ consumes (new) things in large part because of what melonhead writes about/on

If he digs an album I check it out, but honestly even doing that it's pretty hit or miss. Kero Kero Bonito is fucking trash, Crusher was the only good thing to come out (or in) from them.

the problem isn't with his ability to write and be a successful journalist, the problem is that he doesn't seem to have the ability to lecture on the stuff like a music professor bitching about the counterpoint would. of course that would be boring for most of his intended audience, but good music critics tend to drop in sentences scattered lightly around getting deep into the technical aspects of it, and i cant recall a single time he has ever really done that. which points me toward thinking that he can't talk about them, because he doesn't know them. and as such a random Sup Forumstant.

>tfw I don't know who this homo is and have never ever heard about him anywhere outside of this shithole
Feels good not being an obese braindead american

you think he finds things before Sup Forums does? it's painfully obvious that he surfs the board in order to find out what he should review next. he does it based on what's hyped here. i can't think of a single time he's been onto something before us fucking nerds have been talking about it.

>everyone is gay like me

For the past several moths I've hated music.

Anthony, you faggot.. do pls tell me what I missed?!?

Was studying under some Indian Buddhist monks under theBjork

lets relax my point and just say that fantano is a good additional resource to mu/.
is mu/ talking about this?
youtube.com/watch?v=JxVBmNpYtYM&ab_channel=theneedledrop

no, and its melon fresh.

you wish that was true but its not. mu doesn't find stuff then he talks about it he discovers it and you guys talk about it. he makes it popular and the hype follows, nearly every popular musician on this board is one anthony covered or even made famous. maybe he looks at some stuff here but it's like 5% if that

and what does it mean to find things before mu/ does? what was the last small band or artist that got broke by mu/ and not some critic or publication or general hype?

mu/s reactive-- it recycles hype.

He doesn't have good taste in music.

Is CHVRCHES still the greatest band on this planet?

he's the only one who admits that the backhalf of mbdtf is bloated/meadering, so he can't be all bad

i'd have to actually watch his videos tho

I used to watch him for stuff that flew under my radar when I was just really getting into music but over the last couple of years he has become much less esoteric

Who's this fat fuck?