New kenny hype thread

About 17 hours til new Kendrick album. Who /relisteningtoallofhisshit/ here?

I forgot how good Section.80 actually is desu

Other urls found in this thread:

genius.com/a/kendrick-lamar-debuts-the-heart-part-4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think we just may be in for his first dud.

It's gonna be super disappointing.

It's gonna be shit.

I'm just listening to loosies here and there like cartoons and cereal, i have class all day so hopefully the wait wont feel too long

>17 hours
Source?

In about 17 hours it's midnight in LA, might be + a few hours but he usually releases during the night.

Anyway I think this album might either be his greatest or his worst. From what we've heard it's going to be g-funk / west coast and memphis rap (think lil ugly mane) fusion.

section 80 > gkmc >>>> untitled unmastered and TPAB

its not looking hopeful

Uh oh album of the decade in coming

Ok but like how do we know the album is coming? Just speculation or?

Uhh what did he mean by this?

you livin under a rock m8?

genius.com/a/kendrick-lamar-debuts-the-heart-part-4

top told us

>still doubting kendrick
Kek when will you learn?

I think Kendrick is going to do something crazy like Kanye did with TLOP. I mean we literally don't have any info about the album besides Humble, but who knows, even that may not make it on the lp.

Ok i saw the singles
Guess i didn't look into the lyrics enough
Thanks

I don't understand why people need to say this will be a dud. What has Kendrick done in the past that even suggests this? Everyone said "i" was terrible until it came out with the context of the album, which is widely praised and only hates on here during peak times of shitposting.

I understand contradicting shills, shills are just as fucking bad. I just don not understand why no one has faith in someone who has released hit record after hit record.

People are claiming it is going to be disappointing before it has even released, based on one track, that was still pretty good/great depending on whether you are a fan of him or not.

Yeah what the fuck? Any source for this persons claims?

because Sup Forumstants like to be contrarians to rile people up

>What has Kendrick done in the past that even suggests this?
TPAB and humble and heart IV

just a good example of what i was talking about in

it's not me being contrarian, its you being a p4k drone

>Everyone said "i" was terrible
It wasn't. In fact I preferred the single version.

Even if that were the case, compared to Humble, "i" is Keisha's song. It's the worst lead single he's had for an album so far.

Backseat Freestyle had an awesome beat and great wordplay. 'i' had great beatwork too and a good message (despite an annoying chorus). What does Humble have?

>1 Apr

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

TPAB was brilliant. Part 4 was a good hype track for the album, which was its purpose.

>What does Humble have?
an annoying, poorly mixed beat
an outdated beyonce lemonade-tier video
no quotable lyrics

why did you not like TPAB?

>What does Humble have?
A contradicting message in which Kendrick seems to be struggling with he way he should deal with fame. Wondering whether to stay humble, or to take his earnings and flex what he has.

>2017
>caring about music videos

i loved s80 and gkmc for the memorable storytelling and fresh beats

TPAB has neither, i literally can't remember any of the songs off it and most of the beats were like thundercat-lite/flying lotus-lite

In terms of storytelling TPAB is literally his best, but talking about the beats, I agree with you actually.

>the beats were like thundercat-lite/flying lotus-lite
Not him but even a watered down thundercat/fly-lo sounds pretty good to me.

you mind recommending what you think is his best storytelling track off TPAB?

i can remember almost every track off s80 off the top of my head but after listening to TPAB a handful of times I never wanted to ever again

TPAB definitely has memorable storytelling... Institutionalized, U, Momma, How Much A Dolla Cost, etc.

I can understand not liking the beats if you aren't a jazz-rap guy and wanted more traditional style. Nothing wrong with that, though I'm not really sure how you can say you "literally can't remember any songs."

Either way, even if it's not your personal preference, I don't know how you can say it is a BAD album, or why people liking it makes them a p4k drone. Who gives a shit about pitchfork? I just like Kendrick's music.

I'd probably rank them GKMC>S80>TPAB in terms of re-listening, but I enjoyed them all and they are all great albums.

Reporting in.

I think A.D.H.D is really his best song, the way he summarizes such a wide topic in only one song and in such a clever way is pretty amazing man.

If the whole album is like Humble it'll be incredible. Fuck that TPAB trash. This is the kinda flow that made me fall in love with Kendrick not that free-form-jazz-odyssey nonsense that he vomited out on TPAB.

>If the whole album is like Humble it'll be incredible.

>the way he summarizes such a wide topic in only one song and in such a clever way is pretty amazing man

this is pretty much the core of kendrick's appeal and like 90% of his songs. way to hit the nail on the head.

>ITT: everyone overrating Kendrick vastly because critics told them to

what a surprise

>If the whole album is like Humble it'll be incredible
Oh boy! Kendrick Trap.

literally redownloading the album just to remind myself why i didnt like it

i'll listen to these
>Institutionalized, U, Momma, How Much A Dolla Cost
again

i do enjoy jazz rap btw, just none of this album clicked for me at all

"u" obviously.

I guess TPAB is not for everyone. It's not nearly as accessible as GKMC or even S80. I had to listen to it so many times before it clicked, but man, when it did I realized it's fucking amazing.

give examples and reasons as to why you don't like him, like everyone else in this thread has done. don't be a shitposter.

>i do enjoy jazz rap btw, just none of this album clicked for me at all

that's cool, i understand. not every album is for everyone, my argument was mainly that you can still see some merits and reasons why other people think its good even without it being your thing stylistically.

Fucking this. When it first came out, I listened to it so much purely because it was more Kendrick, and I can remember his come up during my final years of school. So when I was at work one day after TPAB came out, working on a project car for a customer, "How Much a Dollar Cost" came on and everything just clicked for me while working and it was one of the better music experiences I have had to this day.

listening to institutionalized and reading along the lyrics, i'm questioning what it is you consider storytelling. things like keisha's song/tammy's song are key examples of storytelling IMO, this is just boastful rapping, and the like 3 different features on the track just seem to be filling in time, you could cut them all out without changing the essence of the song

I think a big problem is that people didn't get the message. It turned into this big KEK BLACK POWER meme when that isn't the point of the album at all.

It's more personal and about his guilt and being torn apart by personal and professional expectations. He wants to be this positive influence and feels the expectations to lead people, but at the same time he's a human being and fails all the time. It's about finding the balance between celebrity and wide-vision and taking care of the real-world (family, relationships, day-to-day) around you.

he's talking about taking one of his bros from the hood into his new world at the BET awards, but they've been "institutionalized" and can't bridge the gap between hood and fame. They've got a huge platform here but instead they just use it to steal jewelry and try to get head from the hot chicks. He's calling out his community at the same time as he's including himself in the offenders.

Humble was awful
Think it'll be on the album?

and here we see the rare, intelligent post on Sup Forums

Me, scholarship? No, streets put me through colleges
Be all you can be, true, but the problem is
Dream only a dream if work don't follow it
Remind me of the homies that used to know me, now follow this

How is this not good story telling, he is legit comparing the streets he lived on to a school and how they taught him to be trapped inside of the area he grew up with no way out, with his peers feeling the same, even if a dream comes to fruition, the streets teach them not to follow due to survivals guilt.

thanks buddy.

also did they macro c u c k to kek? that's awesome

People shit on every Kendrick album the day it comes out. Some people do love them, though.
Happened with GKMC, happened with TPAB and UU.
Anyone know if it's gonna come out at 3AM on the East Coast? Might wake up for it. Or we could see a leak today.

I actually do like Kendrick to an extent, I just think anons like you fellate him because he's a critical darling. If he was slapped with a "corny" sticker like Gambino was (rightfully so) you'd all avoid him like the plague.

I'll overview my problems with Kendrick
>He puts on airs of deepness yet his message often fails to get through
>This wouldn't be an issue if he was trying to be ambiguous, which I don't think he's trying to do
>He doesn't have a great rap voice
>He does weird voices like the squeaky teenager voice too much, sacrificing listenability for concept
>He literally wedged himself into Pac's legacy and acted as if he is carrying the torch on TPAB in the corniest way possible
>His lyrics aren't incredible as they are hailed to be, though sometimes they deliver
>He doesn't tend to be clever lyrically
>His "hip hop savior" posturing is quite annoying and unearned
>He shoehorns in weird hooky bits sometimes
>He tries to be too eclectic with his flow just for the sake of sounding technical in some songs
>He wants to be Andre 3k too much

those lyrics literally look like jay-z could have rapped them on one of his post-retirement albums, and all jay-z did on those albums was brag rap

s80 and gkmc literally had multiple characters running through the album

the start of 'u' is like a worse ab-soul's outro, and he goes with the asthmatic out-of-breath sound for way too long at the end of the song, kendrick never knows how to limit his vocal effects, like when he does the high-pitched voice for an entire song

Every retard who thinks TPAB is a BLM album should read this post.

It's the funniest thing when people say rap music is "dumb" but then think The Blacker the Berry is about black nationalism. Do they also think I Used to Love H.E.R. and Homecoming are about girls?

Wow I hate this post

>I have no argument: the post

Every time

momma's just plain boring for me, he seems unaware of the beat, it stylistically reminds me of like quasimoto's first album except it's much more fitting when madlib raps this way

not sure why you said the first sentence since that's obviously a strawman. if you want to see my reasons you can check my posts: To your points:
1. I do believe his message gets through, you can see my posts above.
2. I don't think he's trying to be ambiguous, I think the issues he talks about are complex and don't have a black/white answer. Pun intended.
3. We can agree to disagree here, but I really like his characters and different voices.
4. See above. Agree to disagree.
5. I don't think he's trying to carry the torch. If you'll see my post above I think he is conflicted because critically he's hailed as this revolutionary figure even though he's a human being. I don't think he was trying to disrespect Pac, he just saw something similar in Pac's message and was drawing on the hip-hop mythos.
6. I think his lyrics are pretty damn good, as the poster above noted, he's really good at tackling dense and complex themes and issues with concise lyricism and without being preachy.
7. this is the same point 6 twice.
8. again, I don't think he believes his is one, but I do think he feels as though he is expected to be this. this is what the core of TPAB is about. If you don't think braggadocio should be part of hip hop then i question why you revere pac so much.
9. fair enough, his hooks can be pretty bad (I'm Real)
10. We already covered this with the voices but it works really well IMO (the back half of MAAD City track)
11. I don't see any examples of this other than they are lyrically gifted rappers with high voices.

What is a great rap voice? Because there are millions and millions of people who would disagree with that statement. Not saying popularity = good, it is just that if majority made the standard of rapping in the past, deep and "hard", than these days it is Kendricks voice that is the "good rap voice" of this generation.

i was better in the single version and tpab was mad overrated anyway

Already leaked, nothing special. B4DA$$ was way better

those lyrics are from a character...

>unaware of the beat
In what way? he's on beat the entire time.

His first verse on Momma is probably my favorite Kendrick flow. I played that track like 10 times a day for weeks. Knxwledge is so smooth.

>A thread full of actual intelligent discussion about rap music and Kendrick on Sup Forums

There is still hope

CORNROW KENNY BORN WIT A VISION

KUNG FU KENNY

You forgot about Africa.

>those lyrics are from a character...
who? the same verse literally says "But somethin' came over you once I took you to the fuckin' BET Awards". it's just him bragrapping

>In what way? he's on beat the entire time.
i guess we'll have to disagree on that, or maybe it's just the nature of the beat, his vocals seems to just step in and out and random intervals to me

How Much A Dollar Cost just does nothing for me either, idk mate, keep enjoying it of course but there's not a single reason i'd ever pick a track off this album over anything off s80 or gkmc. everything just sounds like a lyrical exercise and the beats just don't pop for me

His message may get through to you and me, but I don't most people understand it, as it actually took some reading of his lyrics for me to get what was trying to be said on some of the TPAB songs

I Dont think hes trying to be ambiguous either?

Agree to disagree
agree to disagree

I don't think he was trying to disrespect Pac either, but it was corny for him to try to use Pac as a stepping stone for his narrative. This wasn't a sample of a chopped up verse, this was a conversation with a dead man who is rightfully a legend in hip hop. Not only corny, but really in bad taste.

No it is not.

Clever lyricism =/= good lyricism

Some of his best songs tend to be straightforward lyrically avoiding attempts at "cleverness"

He talks about being a hip hop savior on heart pt 4

couple this with his attempting to latch on to Pac, his whole persona, he wants to be that "hip hop savior"

It's perhaps a bit better than
>Kendrick da goat, fuk u hater
>nah Kendrick sucks fuk u
but it's still shit

Kendrick is very very subjective in terms of whether you like him or not. However, saying he isn't good is just plain incorrect. He has sent out a message and drawn teenagers of different ethnicity together as fans of his music.
He is one of the first rappers who came out of the decline of the genre and started giving it more steam. He gave a lot of other rappers in the game a voice while also changing the sound accepted by the larger crowd.

You might not like him, but he is not a terrible artist.

>who? the same verse literally says "But somethin' came over you once I took you to the fuckin' BET Awards". it's just him bragrapping
A common theme of TPAB is that Kendrick is talking to Satan and how Satan has guided him and wants to be paid back.

Pretty sure no matter how good his next album is people will still hate it on release because it probably wont sound like TPAB

KILL WHITEY OOGA BOOGA BOO WE WUZ SUM FINNA MUP DA DOO DIDDA PO DE DUM THIS DICK AIN'T FREEEEEE NIGGA NIGGA YOUNG NIGGA WANANANA DIDDA DUM PAN-AFRICAN KUNTAKINTE EUROCENTRIC KILL WHITEY DAISHIKI ONGOBANGO MUPDADOO BIX BIX BIX NOOD WE TRYNA GO TO SPACE AND SHIT NIGGA I SWEAR TO GOD

Knedrick always changes his sound on every album. I think everyone is already used to it.

>lyrics

It's a homie from the hood but it's also himself. He's including himself in acting like an idiot on a big stage.

Like I said it's not for everyone. You don't have to like it. My point was that people like it for other reasons than Pitchfork.

1. That's not really Kendrick's problem though if people aren't going to listen to the lyrics or pay attention. That's like saying IJ is bad writing because it's difficult to understand. (Just a comparison, I'm not putting them on the same level or suggesting their work is the same).
2. The second part of my comment still stands.
3. We can agree to disagree on the pac thing as well. I understand how you could feel that way so I'm not going to argue against something subjective.
4. what do you define as good lyricism?
5. I haven't listened to Heart pt 4 since I wanted to be fresh for the album so I can't argue on that line. I can argue that, again, the Pac convo isn't his attempt at being a rap savior. He's talking to someone who is revered about a problem they both face because he doesn't know what to do either. He feels expectations of being a leader but he knows he is a human and can't possibly be a savior or perfect. That's what the whole album is about. It's filled with self hatred juxtaposed with pride.

thank you, this has been my entire point.

am getting my shit together like he asked

>>no quotable lyrics
MY LEFT STROKE JUST WENT VIRAL

how do you feel about untitled unmastered?

>MY LEFT STROKE JUST WENT VIRAL
literally sounds like something dj khaled would rap

kendrick's quickly venturing into that late-stage of his career where he becomes irrelevant, if he was eminem then this album tomorrow is his Encore

i was one of those people that hated "i" at first but he did change a lot of the arrangement for the album

RIGHT STROKE PUT LIL BABY IN A SPIRAL

in what way is he irrelevant?

i loved it

pretty sure no matter how good his next album is people will make it a bigger deal than it is. entry level radio rap isnt that hard to make

fuck do i care about khaled, user claimed humble had no memorable lyrics which is just wrong, i've had that fucking line stuck in my head for fucking days now and i can't get it out

he fell off with TPAB, he ran out of things to say and is stylistically leaning towards more grammy bait, from the sounds on heart iv and humble it just sounds like he's bitter about losing that grammy to macklemore and is making trying to pander to award ceremonies

Remember I
Remember Backseat Freestyle

Funny because Kendrick isn't radio rap. Just because it isn't YG - FDT doesn't mean it is a radio song.

backseat freestyle is ironic but good
i is bad
humble is bad

i enjoyed it a lot. I really liked the beats on there except for the Cee-Lo song. Definitely understand why they didn't make the cut for TPAB though - it's not that they were bad, just wouldn't fit the album.

What do you mean he fell off and ran out of things to say? We've literally been discussing that he has plenty to say.

Please substantiate your claims with examples.

Humble has a style he has not often displayed

worst song on still brazy too.

>mfw i can't stop listening to humble
i hope this album is going to be more rap heavy like Untitled Unmastered. I don't even give a fuck about what Kendrick has to say, i just want to OD on his flow. It's going to be fucking great lmao

The only song I've ever heard from Kendrick play on radio is Swimming Pools. You guys have weird perception of Kendrick, go into a party and try to play him on shuffle. Normies dont want to hear like 90% of his music. Songs like Good Kid, Sing About Me I'm Dying of Thirst, and u aren't what most people listen to rap for

>What do you mean he fell off and ran out of things to say? We've literally been discussing that he has plenty to say.
the majority of the lyrics are just brag raps, it's incredibly boring since it's been done since the 80s. kendrick just isn't convincing at all when he does so

on king kunta, when he says 'Now I run the game, got the world talkin'' it just sounds silly

>I was gonna kill a couple rappers, but they did it to themselves
he's just full of himself for no reason, probably from being overhyped by the same media who thought his verse on Control was the best diss track in 20 years or something

>Humble has a style he has not often displayed
and he never should have displayed