It's a masterpiece

It's a masterpiece.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9jhZzsykTG4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yeah sure if you're a tasteless nu-male redditor

>buzzwords

you realize music is meant to be listened to, not complained about

How could it not be a masterpiece!? His wife was murdered! Have some understanding.

But wait... Who murdered her?

WHO MURDERED WHO?!?

>muh wife's dead

Agreed.

Goddamn is it sad.

>Losing your wife and being sad is nu-male

How retarded are you?

MUH WIFE

Phil's made quite a few classics. A Crow Looked at Me is not one of them.

Ok lets take out the context of his wife dying, how does the music stand up? Yeah thats right its fucking terrible.

It's a blatant cash-grab. If you fall for that because of "the feels," you're a numale.

Far from it, musically its fucking terrible. Who is going to give a bad review to this album considering his wife died? No one mainstream unless they want to look like a heartless bastard. Thus the high scores are not because its actually good but because no one wants to look like a unsympathetic cunt. Prove me wrong

pro tip you cant

God, you are so fucking retarded.

Have you not heard of making art as a way to cope with tragedy?

Also, it's MOUNT FUCKING EERIE

He will make some money, but if you think he will make millions and be mainstream, you know nothing about music.

But you already know nothing.

this
so sad he's cheapening human life

So this album was specifically made for his dead wife therefore he would of have never made a follow-up to sauna any time soon?

ok let's take all of bob dylan's lyrics out of his songs, how does the music stand up? yeah that's right its fucking terrible

Dubs of truth
Without the sad context I think the album deserves basically a "decent" rating, maybe three stars out of five

This. It's about the feeling it provides, not the technical prowess of the album.

Nothing I've heard from this guy should even be in the same sentence as the word 'masterpiece' except to make it clear that it could never be considered one. It's all just halfway decent monotonous acoustic indie.

youtube.com/watch?v=9jhZzsykTG4

Why don't you give an actual critique of the album if you're not just a 15 year old Sup Forums crossposting edgelord

Thank you. Correction: It's mostly just halfway decent monotonous acoustic indie, and some terribly sung indie experiments.

>prove me wrong
At points here phil reaches a new level of lyrical depth that I personally haven't seen any artist reach. In art and especially music, what Phil calls "conceptual emptiness" is a popular trope. What Phil is embodying here by not waiting years to absorb and come to terms with what he's feeling, and rather just pushing this project out the door, is beyond conceptual - he's in the midst of a screaming very real emptiness. At times it seems like he doesn't even want to write these songs he's singing - he doesn't care about our experience, he doesn't care about his legacy, he doesn't care about the product. There's nothing beautiful about it, there's no passion - it's a raw, unfiltered, uncaring emptiness that it's wholly new to music.

I'd organize this post more and articulate my point better, as well as point out the lyrical depth I'm talking about specifically, but it's clear you're a fucking pleb.

the cancer

he literally fucking talks about this on the album

this exactly

that whole thing about how wondering about talking about his dead wife is morose and just makes people want him to stop mentioning it...that thing about grocery store aisles becoming a chasm and just wanting to leave

i mean you really can tell the people that don't like this album haven't given it a chance

So you listened to the whole thing and that was your most impactful takeaway?

I listened to nearly all of it, and it ended up feeling like a waste of time. I really wanted to give this artist a chance since he's so revered apparently, but it seems his output is just not for me.

>starts trying to appreciate phil elverum with his latest album

never change Sup Forums

read the thread

First of all there's a lot to the instrumentals in Bob Dylan, even more so in the electric trilogy. Second, you're being a fucking moron if you think Dylan and Elverum are on par as lyricists.

dylan is a good musician and you dont understand him

oh wow, guess that makes it okay then

nah just means you failed to understand one of the most easily communicable albums in recent memory, so congrats

It reminds me of Dawn which is a great album. but fuck when you listen to lyrics it really hits you.

It's by no means, groundbreaking, but it's a great album

This is rated well in the same way that Schindler's List or 12 Years a Slave was rated well. Maybe it was good but not many people are going to go back to find out if they were wrong. Plus you can't criticize without appearing insensitive on social media (where all the reviewer types live).

I liked this album, but never at all understood this interpretation or Fantano's which is really similar. Of course Phil is concerned with these things and of course the record is beautiful. It's sad, but it's beautiful and it's honest. It show's how messy death and love are and how random and absurd existence can be. I mean he even melodically references 'The Moon' off of the Glow pt. 2

You can't listen to Crow and tell me it isn't beautiful or that he isn't looking forward and is just totally immersed in the ravaged domestic life around him. He sings about Genvieve as a crow on the last track that visits his daughter in a dream, and watches over him on his hike. and then finishes the song with a very ambiguous "and there she was." who? It's unclear whether he means the crow, or if he see's genvieve, or if he see's genvieve figuratively in this crow. It is THE defining moment of the album and very clearly points toward a future and a limitlessness that outlasts life in a human shell. It is also phil going back to a theme which he seems to place actual religious faith in, and that is nature.

Your a idiot if you think thats genuine
hes cashing your tears in at the bank