Stewart Copeland

Stubby Flange
Joe McCain
William Burke
Eugene 'Papa Ray' Birch

Helen Wiggin

Probably Thomas Pridgen or Danny Carey

Zach Meme

zach actually isn't a bad drummer but was unfortunately was sucked into the death grips meme

Greg Saunier or Chippendale
youtu.be/5cQ9kUPoaqI
youtube.com/watch?v=lM6jLAxICao

Bruford is king for me, but Stewart Copeland is probably a close second. Antonio Sanchez is a god too, in terms of musicality, thinking, and limb independence, IMO easily one of the top five drummers in music today, ridiculously underrated

But NOTM is where he shows his best drumming though

Steve Shelly
Guy from Can (rip)
Guy from This Heat

i love NOTM but you realized that it's layered right? he played it on V-drums but he definitely didn't play it all at the same time, not that it's not impressive

Listen to Team Sleep live. Dude always loses tempo from trying to do too much. Guy just has the need to try and fit in as my fill-ins as possible. He's not all that great. Zach's just a decent drummer with a eye/ear for talent

Bernard Purdie
Chester Thompson
Tony Thompson

My 3 favorites:
Neil Peart (Rush)
John Dolmayan (SOAD)
Original drummer for Smashing Pumpkins

Lars Ulrich. Duh.

Stanton

I don't think Zach really belonged in Team Sleep. His style doesn't suit atmospheric alt rock songs

Buddy Rich
Neil Pert
John Bonham

my nigga

Nobody on Sup Forums plays an instrument and is able to recognize the little shit that takes talent and skill so I didn't expect anybody to agree.

youtube.com/watch?v=8avgd-i9QGU
JUST

their new drummer is better fitted for them. he's also better drummer in general.
youtube.com/watch?v=vT07sWRXiXE&ab_channel=WOODSTOCKSESSIONS

meme answers

Atsuo, Bill Bruford

Zach Hill

no meming

I'm not a drummer but I've been a multi-instrumentalist for > 10 years, starting on trumpet and moving to various other wind instruments (yes, I was a total fucking band geek in high school) and I picked up guitar somewhere in high school as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Britt Walford hands down, he's done some incredible stuff outside of slint and I always enjoy listening to records that he's on

I can tell that maybe only 3/4 people in here actually play percussion. The ones that dont play drums, they go with Zach Hill

My dubs had already decided that he was the ultimate drummer. My nigga got skills for days.

>Antonio Sanchez
damn never thought id see anyone on Sup Forums else talk about him. His free jazz albums are fucking legendary

what does that even mean? none of those musicians are memes or have been in any meme bands

Best drummers itt

New, huh?

Max Roach for sure. He had an understanding of drums like no one else

not really. unless I've been missing all the Led Zeppelin and Buddy Rich meme threads I'd say your talking out of your ass

Michael giles
Bonham
Bill ward
Vinnie coliuta
Steve gadd
Cozy powell
Clive bunker
Jerome brailey
Philp Fisher (extremely underrated)
Ndugu
Billy cobham
Ginger Baker
John weathers

Travis Barker

Rich, Bonham, and Peart are like the de facto answer for any question about drummers and their playing has been discussed so far and wide beyond just Sup Forums that there is nothing new that can be said about them

Mario Duplantier

youtube.com/watch?v=VAc896Xy2qU
youtube.com/watch?v=ilw2NFQQYpY

I recognize about half these names, but I agree with those I do. Vinnie Colaiuta is my personal fave.

I've never personally done any double kick playing myself but I always kinda want to when I see him play

Dana Carvey?

if it sounds good it is good

>All Drummers are fugly

john mcentire

fair enough. then I'll say Michael Giles, Jerry Mercer and Bill Ward

sorry if I came across as aggressive. Good picks tho!

Meg White

Jack DeJohnette
Kevin Shea
Jaki Liebezeit
John McEntire

it's all good. I'm used to browsing Sup Forums here so I'm still accustomed to every interaction being equivalent to talking with a neanderthal

Tony Williams
Keith Moon
Vinnie Colaiuta

Chris Moore of Coke Bust, DOC, Repulsion, and Sick Fix, formerly of Magrudergrind

Gavin Harrison

no mention of elvin jones
is elvin jones the plebbiest jazz drummer
seeing many fusion/session guys
some max roach
no fucking elvin jones?

Art Blakey
Ginger Baker
Elvin Jones

This or Ringo

Still remember years ago being front row at a Porcupine Tree concert and not knowing a single one of their songs. Felt bad that I was there and somebody who actually liked the band was in the back.

Ginger Baker stuff is fun to play to. Anybody like that, lots of classic rock. Mitch Mitchell too with Hendrix. It's real loose and just crazy fills.

He has that cool ass Youtube channel now. There was one with him and Les Claypool and Danny Carey and it was like my idols when I was 15 all in the same room together.

this

open handed drumming is a bigger meme than anime

Danny Carey

is she playing in 5/4

Dmitar Čočorovski

yo sometimes when i look at it its 4/4 and other times its 5/4 wtf

Flo Mounier
youtube.com/watch?v=c_1RZcM3zso

Phil Collins.

I play drums and percussion and I like Zach Hill.
People who like Zach Hill just because he can play fast aren't paying attention to what's important in what he does. Obviously what he does is fast, but that's not all there is to his drumming. Listen to Hella and listen to what he does in relation to the guitar. What he plays fits with what Spencer Seim is playing perfectly. There's more to it than just Zach Hill vomiting fills all over the set, literally if he wasn't playing like that, the songs would be fundamentally different.
I understand that by some of the criteria that drummers are judged by, Zach Hill isn't a great drummer. But he's playing them totall.y differently than how drums are generally "supposed to be" by most standards. That doesn't necessarily mean he's "bad", it just means it's "different". It's like using the same criteria used to judge a rhythm guitarist to judge a classical guitarist; technically they play the same instrument, but they play the guitar with entirely different approaches and serve a different purpose in a musical setting and should not be judged by the same criteria. When I listen to his drumming I think less of people like Bonham or Gadd and more of tabla playing or something like that.

underrated drummer, overrated songwriter i do like his voice though

Greg Fox
youtube.com/watch?v=eftq8l_2GIk

Terry Bozzio

How the fuck has Keith Moon not been mentioned yet? The man was a god and an alpha male

Mike Mitchell is the shit
All you motherfuckers need to get hip.

It's Ari Hoenig. Listen. It's Ari Hoenig. I'm a jazz performance major going for percussion at UNT. It's Ari Hoenig.

People actually think it's Neil Peart. What the fuck. I learned how to play Rush songs when I was 15. That doesn't mean I'm a prodigy, that means it's relatively easy.

Buddy Rich is good. He's incredible even. But he isn't the best. He has an extreme talent as a big band leader, and his snare cadences are impressive, and his speed is probably unparalleled. I'll never be as good as Buddy Rich, but modern drummers are still better than him, especially those who play in combos. The reason for this is mostly creativity--jazz music has evolved from what it was when Buddy was developing, and (since he's dead) he can't keep up with what jazz music has become.

Ari is incredible. He displays a masterful command of polyrhythms, but also never sacrifices creativity for flashiness, as Buddy Rich was wont to do. He also solely plays in small combos, which allows his talent to shine through in an insane way. I bought the sheet music for his "Lines of Oppression" album, and have never seen composing like that. Not ONLY that, but I've just never seen talent like Ari's on the drums. I'll link a video, but it might not do him total justice--this dude is the baddest drum cat alive right now.

Potential other drummers that equal or excel Ari in certain areas but not others: Dan Weiss, Larnell Lewis, that's it

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=aYaJmFDk_SM

Dave Turncrantz, his work on Russian circles is great!

Gary Busey, of course.

His work during the synth segment on Firth of Fifth is fucking boss.

Meme answer, no Moon allowed here, duuur

>jazz performance major
>percussion

???

Drum set?

Aphex twin, he's the only one that does anything actually interesting in terms of rhythm

Bill Ward
He combined jazz with metal and practically invented hip hop drumming, all in 1969 in the greatest metal band of all time. All his rythms are so groovy and his hand speed is off the fucking charts

youtu.be/K3b6SGoN6dA

Ok. I get he does do interesting things with rhythm but the only one?

Kris Myers is the only acceptable answer. Lol at the guy saying the rush drummer is the best. Skill>amount of things to hit
youtu.be/cHloNg5XqTk

You didn't even mention Kris Myers, and you're going to school for jazz percussion?

Mfw I have no face

name another, i'm 100% open and hoping for recs/ to be proven wrong.

Ask and ye shall receive, baby

Xanopticon

Who I immediately thought of when I saw your post...

Ginger Baker

>tfw left handed drummer who learned to play on school's righty kit

#woke

you might think I'm memeing but I say Autechre. Untilted is straight percussive fire

Steve Lamos

John Wheathers

Marco Minnemann

ringo starr ofc...like it's not even a debate

ok maybe the singer from godsmack but that's it

ringo the goat

Gavin Harrison
Carl Palmer
Neil Peart
Buddy Rich
Bill Bruford
Keith Moon