New joey bada$$ album just released

>new joey bada$$ album just released
>political rap
I got a soft spot for political rap music. Who else listening to it?

open.spotify.com/album/6swV0WUnPygRIMgEKn6Ige

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'll spin it again. How are you liking it, OP?

I'm about halfway through, not bad so far.
>Devastated
lol what is this shit

We got a DL?

Personally I liked this better than B4.DA.$$; better bars, better beats, more concise and consistent.

After TPAB everyone dropping now has to be if onky little political since Kendrick did before his contemporaries (and better).

idk, I don't mind that song as much as everyone flippin shit about it

Exactlt what I thought when I first heard the single. After a few listens though, it's one of my favorites.

Also THIS is what Kendrick was talking about; Pro Era / TDE supergroup incoming.

Currently at "Y U DON'T LOVE ME?". Haven't had any major issues so far. Devastated threw me off for a bit, but I got into it.

i listened to this three days ago on youtube cuz it leaked

>devastated is the worst song
>y you no love me reminds me of for free describing americas relationship with blacks
>babylon sounds like blacker the berry with how he delivers his lyrics and the beat changeup
>political shallow, basic talking points until some lines here and there and the end
>really clever lines and thoughts on occasion

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/

Stop being poor

>that guitar and synth in "Land of the Free"

I've heard it twice already because leaks so here's my thoughts
>Devastated sounds better in the context of the album
>Meechy Darko, Schoolboy Q and surprisingly J. Cole provide solid features
>The freestyle/poem that closes the album is amazing
>The overall theme and argument is compelling and told with a lot of relatability
>The beats can get repetitive
>Joey's voice and flow are too samey to the point where it can glaze over your ears

Overall comparable to B4DA$$ which I consider an 8. Some real stand out moments with a bit of somewhat filler. Personally I think AABA is better because of the features and more precise message. Probably my third favorite album so far this year because Thundercat and King Gizzard. 8/10

I thought B4.DA.$$ had a lot more memorable songs despite it being 5 tracks longer.

A lot of the beats on this one seem safe and uninteresting. Very little about the production sticks out to me other than their striving to hit 93 til Infinity vibes.

His "political" verses don't do a ton for me either. He presents a lot of typical ideas for political rap and rarely connects to anything specific. There's a lot of room to make interesting or controversial statements but Joey pays those opportunities a wide berth, choosing instead to focus on encouraging himself and his peers towards generally positive actions. Not a whole lot of specificity.

Maybe its too much to ask for an East Coast Soul on Ice nowadays though.

Eh, he's young and impressionable. Probably still forming those thoughts. I hear you, though.

Devastated has good vibes and Joey flexes one of his strengths in hook writing.

It's not like they brought in outside writers or producers to put a commercial hit together. Kirk Knight, Powers Pleasant, and Adam Pallin has been with him since the last album and is all over this one anyways.

>The beats can get repetitive
>Joey's voice and flow are too samey to the point where it can glaze over your ears

I agree the most with these points

Loving it so far - Middle of the album from Devestated - Rockabye baby is fucking amazing. Great fucking times to be a hip-hop fan with Kendrick on its way as well

I see Q on his chubby daddy shit on his snapchat but then he snaps on a track like Rockabye Baby and brings such a gangster/punk vibe with his voice and delivery.

kinda amazing actually.

Temptations really reminds me of The Roots

Whats so bad about devastated its a brilliant feel good song i cant understand why people hate on positive music

Seeing the tour on his snapchat was sick. Hoping Q's next album is great. Didn't care for blank face as much as his older stuff

>Whats so bad about devastated its a brilliant feel good song
i dont hate it because its feel good i dont like it because it makes absolutely no sense in the context of the album, its sonically different from the album and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Its a okay single

Does Joey have explicit versions of his albums? I just listened to b4da$$ today because I knew this was coming out tonight and every swear word was edited out. I'm asking because I notice he has the middle fingers censored out on the cover of this album

Alright, you guys can't red pill me on Devastated. It's still my least favorite on the album. However if you listen to it then Y U DON'T LOVE ME? back to back (like it is on the album) it makes sense and I enjoyed it more.

Good point. I heard it wasnt even supposed to be on the album

Holy shit it does.

Try shuffling the album it basically works in any order.

Oh no it was front and center if thats even the name of the song

I liked Blank Face more than Oxymoron but nothing has surpassed Habits & Contradictions for me yet. Blank Face had some nice and interesting sounds but it meandered at points and dragged on a bit without offering enough variety.

There's also something about getting Kanye on a track kinda ruining an album. Gotta keep that guy on a tighter leash when you ask for a verse from him, I think. Otherwise he's going to steal the song.

he should've cut it or put something else in

It was just a radio hit that he made to help him get more famous and hit the mainstream. Seems to have worked

First listen
>first half sucked
>second half was cool
>Rockabye and Babylon are big standouts
Second listen
>first half still sucks, just not as much
>second half still pretty cool
>no real standouts, and Babylon is nowhere near as great as I remembered it

No desire to listen to this again, but will still continue to support young Jo-Vaughn

I bet he would have if art outweighed streaming and sales numbers

1st half is good imo

>>second half still pretty cool
2nd half is best half but the beat on y you no love me is one of his best

2nd half also has the best verses

Indeed but im fine with it since its one of my favourite songs

Is Super Predator basically just a brag track?

I appreciate Styles P showing up but I don't really understand the point of the song.

Really disappointed the worst song on the album was legendary with j cole. Just didn't work IMO

I didn't really understand the point of that song either. Cole and Joey together should be able to get into some serious civil rights shit but instead the created tame ass song about "legends will never die:"

forgettable

I've been listening to the leak. First half is not awful but is also not particularly memorable at all. Second half is considerably better. He's got good flows, nice beats, and definitely drops some clever bars. Main issue is that he keeps hitting the same talking points over and over. He's talkin about real shit, but it gets tired when you've heard the exact same message over and over for so many consecutive tracks.

Honestly, I think this political message he wants to spread would have hit way harder if he just limited to the last track on the album. He says everything he's trying to say the whole album concisely right there. The last bit especially hits hard af. But it loses weight by that point if you've been hangin in for the whole album.

Definitely some dope tracks still, overall decent album. He's never gonna top 1999 though

Just a feel good track senpai
Don't shit on good feels

This

If you're listening to it on Spotify on your phone then it's going to be censored. Listen to it on another device, it won't be censored there. Don't ask me why, I have no idea.

>trump drops bunch of bombs
>joey drops this album
Is it a coincidence? What's going on here?

I like you

It bangs live

i dont goto rap music to get my politics. keep talking about money girls clothes and drugs pls.

uh ya they did, the guy who produced hit songs made that song idiot lol

Man fuck outta here that track is the SHIT

Ring the alarm is dope, just wish joey took up less of the track

Both the censored and the uncensored version is available on spotify

More like why doesn't Meech have a verse

>claims hes better than 2pac

But he is. Just not as influential.

Bar for bar he is way better