Please rate this film

please rate this film

PG-13 for some disturbing images and smoking

It was ok i guess 7/10

8/10

Absolutely haunting masterpiece.

I saw it last in 2014 and I think about it every fucking week. The way the two stories collide is everything. Such an honest portrayal of the complexity of life and love. And if you think it's pro-war you're an idiot.

The thing that unlocked the movie for me was this: it's less like a story more like an album, with recurring themes and motifs but mainly depicting an era. It's really deceptively simple in structure, not to even begin to talk about the art of the movie itself. What a movie to go out on .

I love you

The culmination of Miyazaki as a storyteller and movie maker.

after TWR, should I watch some other films from miyazaki?

Masterpiece.
Arguable the best Miyazaki and his most personal work.

he killed millions

It's truly unlike any of his movies... apart from one abstract thing that always happen in the middle or towards the end of his movies when the characters go on a literal or metaphorical retreat.

TWR is a difficult one to start with. Maybe Porco Rosso next, or Princess Mononoke? He made some amazingly fun adventure movies too -- The Castle of Cagliostro and Castle in the Sky were the best.

After that, if you like those, I recommend seeing them in the order they were made cause his progression is truly fascinating. The biggest joy of Miyazaki is his kids movies are as thematically deep and beautiful as his more 'adult' stuff. Ponyo is as thematically considered as Princess Mononoke even if it doesn't seem it.

he knows. the movie knows. it's basically all about that dichotomy and in the end it's his ruin. why do people not understand this movie

>His wifes face when

8/10
pretty gud

It's shit. The events that take place in the film are fabricated. The beginning sequence is completely out of place compared to the rest of the film.

He killed millions.

you're a top lad

>tfw I started this meme

boring/10
The characters were flat as fuck. Not that Miyazaki often has very 3D characters, but he usually makes ul for it with beautiful animation, soundtrack, world-building and an interesting setting

Good movie, far from being Miyazaki's best.

>ghibli
""""""""no""""""""

my nigger

>The characters were flat as fuck

japanese or english language?

I can't tell if this is a meme-objection or a meme-approval
Please translate

10/10. It's Hayo Miyasaki's most personal movie. It's a very beautiful movie.

I cried when the credit music started.

main character had annoying voice
main character had annoying emotionless voice

Remember that time this literal kino got btfo at the Oscars by Frozen?

Isn't the main character voiced by the dude who directed End of Evangelion?
No wonder

Take that back you little bitch

a snorefest
still better than frozen, at least

Remember when Satoshi Kon never won an Oscar but Miyazashit did?

Thats not how the line goes...

Miyazaki is better than Kon

Good joke.

There's nothing particularly great about this movie. It's a humble afterword to his career. Only stupid people who don't appreciate his fantasy films and buy into the narrative of marketers can say it's the best one.

I've seen it seven times and it only gets better

Holy shit, objectively false on every level

paprika is a 7/10 at best familia
and two of yor images are shorts, one of them being a fucking 60 seconds short
apply yourself fagget

only one i recognize is paprika and it was pretty shit.

10/10, not the best ghibli movie

Agreed. If Kon has lived longer, maybe he would be in the competition. Takahata and Oshii are also better. Arguably Yuasa too.

Howls Moving Castle is mediocre though. I love the beginning and the scene with him catching the star but it loses its direction so hard on the second half.

And then that terrible fucking ending.
"Let's go stop this pointless war." Fuck you.

Wind Rises and Princess Mononoke are tied for my favorite.

Still need to read Nausicca manga. I have that nice hardcover box set but I'm holding off on it while I finish other series.

I'll read his books at some point too I suppose.

Actually wrong, Miyazaki is the greatest anime director, his vision in shaping movies and creating worlds is almost unprecedented.

This is not his best movie though, that without a doubt goes to Spirited Away, even though it should've been shorter.

should have focused more on one or two aspects, the war, the sick wife or the aspiration to build a good plane
they tried to include all three and all somewhat fell short

still a good movie though

Better than the tv show / 10 ????

Visuals 10/10
Music 10/10
Storytelling 9.5/10
Plot 7/10

Fantastic piece of kino

Howl's Moving Castle is really really underrated. It's one of his best movies about living and true love. The way Sophie learns to love herself and then howl is so complex and honest. I know the war stuff feels heavy handed, but really watching the film as a tale about love unlocks it.

Nausicaa manga is legit Miyazaki's masterpiece. No coincidence it has the same ending message as the Wind Rises. I find it so interesting to hear what people's fave miyazaki movies are. I can't help but be suspicious of Miyazaki fans who reject his movies aimed at children. Those are your two faves, but what's the third? Totoro or Kiki surely?