Modest Mouse anyone? Favorite album, general opinions, etc

Modest Mouse anyone? Favorite album, general opinions, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zqQTODR3kR8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why are people so hard on We Were Dead?

I've no clue. I love every song on We Were Dead. The only Modest Mouse albums I'm not totally 100% into are Strangers to Ourselves and Sad Sappy Sucker. But they also have some fuckin' sick nasty jams on them.

>Strangers to Ourselves
>sick nasty jams

literally has 1 decent song, 1 garbage song, and the rest is mediocre filler

The Best Room is great, as is The Ground Walks With Time in a Box. I also love Pistol because it's a Ween song done by Modest Mouse. I will agree, though, that Strangers to Ourselves is definitely their worst album.

Pic related it my favorite album.

Absolutely love dramamine! The whole album was sort of an acquired taste for me, I generally struggle with hard instrumentals, but once I started to get into it, I got really into it. Deffinetly one of my favorite albums.

>not mentioning tortoise

i like This is a Long Album Title for Someone With Nothing to Think About

The first of their albums I actually bought a physical copy of. I really like it because they just go all out batshit insane with the guitar, especially in Mechanical Birds.

LCW is one of my favourite albums

I absolutely hate that band so long as you're asking. It's basically music for people that want to feel smart and profound and write songs about their "woes" (oh no my relationship isn't completely ideal) when you get the impression that it's just like that because they're dumb and childish.

If you weren't asking and it's just a thread for people that enjoy Modest Mouse then have have at er

take some higher res cover art OP
>favorite album
TLCW
>favorite song
whenever you see fit
first record i ever bought

Great band but they really seemed to go to shit after Moon, I tried listening to some of their newer stuff and there is no way it's the same band that made LCW

They are okay.

I think that they just evolved and changed as artists. I don't think they've ever done a truly BAD album, but they have done some average stuff (Such as Ansel from Strangers.) I'm so hyped to see them live in June.

I used to like them a lot more. I remember going on camping trips and listening to Good News and LCW with one of my best friends. Then I saw them live, and Isaac's singing put me off of listening to them again for a while. Last year my only friend that liked MM killed himself and now I can't really get too much enjoyment out of any of their albums, just memories that hurt to remember.

What are they like live? I always get the image that they will sound no-where near as raw or loud and generally more apathetic (at least based on the videos I've seen of such), is it actually like that or am I being far off?

The instrumentation is comparable to how they sound in studio, but brocks vocals sound at least 5x more nasally, whining at a pitch that makes the experience next to unbearable

bump

Or maybe people just like the music...? Did that ever occur to you? Not every single album is liked because people identify with the lyrics. It really depends imo. The first time i saw them Isaac sounded fine and it was really enjoyable, the second time, however he sounded really tired and out of it. They fucked up the intro to like, 4 songs and i just felt bad for him

Red = horrible
Blue = Decent but not great

Everything else is pretty great, it does not deserve all the flack it gets.

M&A is their best imo

3rd planet is a banger

best lyrical verse: "I'm on a road shaped like a figure 8, I'm going nowhere but I'm guaranteed to be late."

>modest mouse
>lyrics about relationships

confirmed for never actually listening to them. if you were talking about Death Cab or Bright Eyes then sure.

I kinda like the title track and Wicked Campaign is great, I'll agree with pretty much everything else though

I hate the little keyboard percussion bite they use at the beginning of shit in your cut so much that it sours the song for me. Not a huge fan of Ansel either and i think coyotes is way better than both. Also i think God is an Indian is cute. Other than that id say i agree with this almost completely

Spitting Venom?

Life Like Weeds is my favorite song by them.

You think they're for people trying to sound smart? I love all their lyrics but they're usually like
"WELL I'MA THIS AN NEVA REALLY EVA GONNA"
Not exactly grandiloquent, user.
Have you listened to them? They fit their band name. They're a modest band lyrically, they have like, zero relationship ballads, and what the hell is music without woes, user?

That said I've really been liking Sad Sappy Sucker lately. Has such a nostalgic and coming of age feel to it. They just sound so obviously young and different.
Mice eaat cheeeese.

youtube.com/watch?v=zqQTODR3kR8
Fuck

I didn't really feel much for Ansel. It's okay, just wasn't one of my favorites. I do like the opening track though, along with Coyotes and God is an Indian.

>Casually listening to Modest Mouse at lowish volume while prepping for work
>Coworker walking by my area and is like hey I dig this who is it
>Oh that's awesome, yeah it's Modest Mouse, some of their earlier stuff
>Oh I haven't heard of them, I'll check them out
>genuinely surprised hasn't even heard their NAME
>They got pretty big off a few songs like Float On if you heard that one
>Hmm nope
>Have you heard Show Goes on by Lupe Fiasco?
>Ohh yeaaaa dude love that song
>Oh that whole song basically is a sample of Float On etc
>???

Why did that make me so internally upset (not at coworker) that sampling even a band's most popular song nets them so little credit.